Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > To Go To School Or Not To Go?

Photographer

HortenciaCaires

New York, New York, US

That is the question. I was reading the self taught forum and I was thinking for those who are real passionate not only about photoshop/retouching images, but photography as well... Do you think its good to go to school? A lot of people tell me no go learn something else, like marketing or graphic design ..you know a lot of photography already.

And some tell me go to school! you can have access to the studio, that way you can learn that because you dont have access to one. Go because you'll learn the technical part of it and you need to know a lot more things.

I just dont know, I feel less confident in some areas that I dont have access to, like studio, but I play with it and act like I know smile
I just dont kno what to go to school for... I was thinking about publicity and marketing, but Im not sure if I wanna go to school 4 yrs.. who knows what will happen in between.

May 26 09 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy Nantz

Thomasville, North Carolina, US

I'm about to be laid off from my job of 21 years and I'm debating the same thing here.

I'm wanting to get a business associates or similar degree as I'm pretty comfortable with my photography skills, but would however like to learn more about advanced Photoshop skills.

I'm hedging my bets the business courses will help me plan out a better way to make an actual income from photography...

May 26 09 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoByShirley

New York, New York, US

Once high school is over i hope to get into FIT to major in Photo. Maybe a minor in fashion marketing or whatever.

May 26 09 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Corey Ward

Austin, Texas, US

Timothy Nantz wrote:
I'm wanting to get a business associates or similar degree as I'm pretty comfortable with my photography skills, but would however like to learn more about advanced Photoshop skills.

Hire a professional high-end retoucher that focuses on the type of retouching you want to learn how to do. You'll pay maybe $3,000 to learn every trick in his bag and get experience working with higher end tablets and calibration tools within a matter of months and be done with it.

Or spend 4-5 years chasing a B.A. related to photography and get nowhere with Photoshop, since they really don't teach a whole lot of the fancy stuff.

wink

May 26 09 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

HortenciaCaires wrote:
That is the question. I was reading the self taught forum and I was thinking for those who are real passionate not only about photoshop/retouching images, but photography as well... Do you think its good to go to school? A lot of people tell me no go learn something else, like marketing or graphic design ..you know a lot of photography already.

And some tell me go to school! you can have access to the studio, that way you can learn that because you dont have access to one. Go because you'll learn the technical part of it and you need to know a lot more things.

I just dont know, I feel less confident in some areas that I dont have access to, like studio, but I play with it and act like I know smile
I just dont kno what to go to school for... I was thinking about publicity and marketing, but Im not sure if I wanna go to school 4 yrs.. who knows what will happen in between.

Go to school.  Study accounting.  Take a photography or graphic design class or two.

May 26 09 06:34 pm Link

Model

Rinarina

Port Orchard, Washington, US

Corey Ward wrote:

Hire a professional high-end retoucher that focuses on the type of retouching you want to learn how to do. You'll pay maybe $3,000 to learn every trick in his bag and get experience working with higher end tablets and calibration tools within a matter of months and be done with it.

Or spend 4-5 years chasing a B.A. related to photography and get nowhere with Photoshop, since they really don't teach a whole lot of the fancy stuff.

wink

Yeah, I've learned more about photoshop and manipulating images in my free time than I have in a class based around graphic design. I honestly, have only learned a couple of things this entire year in school about graphics versus on my own.

May 26 09 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Ryuuzaki

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Some have it, some buy it, some steal it, but everyone wants it, the problem is not to get it, but to do it with style baby.

May 26 09 06:38 pm Link

Photographer

MacLeod Designs

Mooresville, North Carolina, US

Katarina Love wrote:

Yeah, I've learned more about photoshop and manipulating images in my free time than I have in a class based around graphic design. I honestly, have only learned a couple of things this entire year in school about graphics versus on my own.

agreed, i have only been doing studio phtoography since january, i am completely self taught, still have a long way to go but i am a marketing major and got denied entry to a level one photography class because my understanding was too great that it would not help...therefore that ment that i would have to go into a higher class (you cant without the prerequisite of first class unless you are a photo major) but what that told m is that the first 2 years of photo school were more or less pointless and could be learned MUCH easier and faster if done on your own, then find a phtoographer/retoucher you like and assist/ pay them to train you

May 27 09 09:47 pm Link