Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > 6x8 vs. 9x12 tablet

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

Would like to hear from some experienced tablet users for size pro and cons - I don't want more size than I need.
I'm doing beauty and fashion retouching.
Right now I'm using a mouse and there's too much that is clumsy.

Thanks,
John

May 27 09 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

MEK Photography

Westminster, Maryland, US

I would stick to a smaller one...  all the less you'll have to move your arm around, which can get real tiring after a while.

May 27 09 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I went from a 9 x 12 to a 6 x 8....

lots less desktop real estate used for the pad and a lot less arm fatigue.

love my wacom.

now when I try to retouch without it I feel like I am working with a brick instead of a mouse.

May 27 09 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Claver

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

agreed with all the above.. everyone I've talked to who used the large tablets all day, every day begin to complain about problems with their shoulders and elbows.  The accuracy of the medium sized tablets is quite high and the tradeoff in less desk space used and less strain is more than worth it.

May 27 09 07:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Pedro P Polakoff III

Fairfax, Virginia, US

I have carpal tunnel & arthritis in my hands and I use a 6x8 as it gives me the freedom of movement I need when doing highly detailed work without killing my desktop space or lap.

May 27 09 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

i agree with everyone unless you will be using painter. for true drawing i find a larger tablet more natural, for retouching i prefer the 6x8

May 27 09 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

J T I

San Diego, California, US

I sold my large one and went to 6x8.  I HATED the large one... I also sold my 20" Cintaq (sp?)

May 27 09 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Karl Yamashita

Temecula, California, US

I have the 9x12 and want to go smaller. I currently have the 9x12 setup to only use the lower corner which about a 6x8 size. So much easier on my wrist. But yeah, the 9x12 takes up to much desk space.

May 27 09 10:33 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Theloneous Jones

Denver, Colorado, US

I use the 4x6 and have no complaints.  Save  some money, desk space and arm pain.  Go smaller.

May 28 09 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Jessica Luchesi

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Which model from Wacom do you recommend?

May 28 09 05:51 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Theloneous Jones wrote:
I use the 4x6 and have no complaints.  Save  some money, desk space and arm pain.  Go smaller.

I agree.  I got the small tablets and have had no problems with them.. I have 2 workstations so smaller is better for me.. I can go back and forth between them with ease..  and not take up a lot of desktop space.

May 28 09 05:53 am Link

Photographer

Mike D photography

Carlisle, Pennsylvania, US

Jessica Luchesi wrote:
Which model from Wacom do you recommend?

Wacom Intuos4 medium

May 29 09 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

A_Nova_Photography

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US

I use a 4x6 with dual monitors and I have no complaints. I'm usually zoomed in so it's not like I need a lot of room anyway...

May 30 09 02:18 pm Link