Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouching nudes and tan lines

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

A lot of my new work load is full nudity, but one of the models has really bad tan lines. It's her breasts and bikini areas that are white and the rest of her is fairly tanned, what's your best method on correcting tan lines?

I've tried a couple of things but nothing I'm really satisfied with.

EDIT: please note, I'm a photo re-toucher, NOT a photograper. I had no choice in the model and I wont in the future, so saying that I should hire a model with out tan lines or use make up doesn't really help. Thanks smile

May 27 09 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

A good question I will look into it.  Do you have an example image?

May 28 09 12:04 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Andrew Chorley wrote:
A good question I will look into it.  Do you have an example image?

No sorry, It's for a commercial client, so I can't show any of the images. But the tan lines are very obvious and her skin tone is generally un even all over which adds to the problem. But I just need some ideas on how to color her un tanned parts to blend in with the rest of her skin. It doesn't need to be a perfect method because the models skin is getting evened out at the end anyway (the glamor FHM type of skin)

May 28 09 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Is there detail in the hi lights? You could eye drop the dark area and light area in LAB mode, mask the area you wish to blend, then using the levels command lower the brightness of the light area to match the numbers of the dark area. then using your heal or cloning brush blend the skin back in. This is assuming you have detail there in the first place. Other than that, I am at a loss.

May 28 09 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

Try:

Duplicate Layer  >> Blend Mode: Darken

Then use clone stamp on an area of skin close to the tone that you want...

Paul

May 28 09 12:44 am Link

Retoucher

StaciC

Swansea, Illinois, US

Or sample a darker/duller tone of the skin and then new layer with color mode and paint the tan areas with lower opacity

All photos are different though, could you not post a small crop of the image?

May 28 09 12:48 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Thank you everyone, I've been messing around with all the things you've suggested and it does really depend on the photo and area, especially on the breast area. But I'm mostly using a lot of cloning and masks, and finishing it off with painting with low transparency!

May 28 09 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Khaos Productions

North Las Vegas, Nevada, US

light burn and an airbrush would be my suggestion

May 28 09 12:59 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Not sure it's the best method, but I've found that this is one thing LAB is good at.

Convert the image to LAB mode, and look at the A and B channels. Quick cloning over the tanlines in those channels can be done there with minimal effort, and will fix the color issue quickly--you don't have to worry about precision, as no texture is being lost.

Then use a Curves layer with a mask to fix the luminosity. This does require more care, but it's a lot easier than trying to fix it in RGB; you just need to match one thing.

I used to use a single Curves layer in RGB, adjusting the RG&B channels separately, but it took longer, even though less was being done; the precision needs were higher to get the same level of results.

May 28 09 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Philipe

Pomona, California, US

Melissa Little wrote:
A lot of my new work load is full nudity, but one of the models has really bad tan lines. It's her breasts and bikini areas that are white and the rest of her is fairly tanned, what's your best method on correcting tan lines?

I've tried a couple of things but nothing I'm really satisfied with.

Get a good make up artist.
I retouch tan lines with make up all the time...
Many make up artist do it all the time....

May 28 09 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Leroy Dickson

Flint, Michigan, US

I've used a brush on a separate layer to paint the area to the correct tone... must sample the color frequently ifit's a large area.

Gaussian blur to blend.

Then Select the pixels. Right click on the layer in the layers pallete to do that.

Go back to the original layer and hit Ctrl-J to duplicate that area.

Move  the newly created "duplicate" layer above the painted layer and set it into soft light mode.

Then use Filters > Other > High Pass to add the texture of the skin back.

May 28 09 02:38 am Link

Photographer

Owen Wyte

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I don't think you can ever really turn a non tanned area to a tanned area or visa versa without it looking fake.

May 28 09 02:47 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Philipe wrote:

Get a good make up artist.
I retouch tan lines with make up all the time...
Many make up artist do it all the time....

I'm a re-toucher, whether or not to hire a make up artist is up to the photographer.

May 28 09 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

For uneven skin coloration, I usually take a sample of a pleasant skin tone (eye dropper, 5x5 or 11x11 sample), make a new color blending layer, set it at 50% (this will vary) and paint with the sampled color where skin tone varies. This will close the gap on skin color, without it looking too fake. Obviously play with the opacity to figure that out.

As far as tan lines are concerned. Are we talking big spaces, or thin lines or what?

May 28 09 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Morbid Bunny Images

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

There are lots of great suggestions here to work from but next time get your MUA to apply foundation to the pale areas.  Sally Hansen leg make up also works great.  A lot less pain in post than fish belly white on a nice tan.

May 28 09 03:42 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

I USED to use the clone tool, and/or bandaid. 

Now, I just hire models without tan lines.

May 28 09 04:33 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Brennan Barrett wrote:
There are lots of great suggestions here to work from but next time get your MUA to apply foundation to the pale areas.  Sally Hansen leg make up also works great.  A lot less pain in post than fish belly white on a nice tan.

I'm a photo re-toucher, I don't attend the photo shoots w/ clients, if it were up to me I would do a nude shoot with a model with tan lines.

May 28 09 04:41 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

ASYLUM - Photo wrote:
For uneven skin coloration, I usually take a sample of a pleasant skin tone (eye dropper, 5x5 or 11x11 sample), make a new color blending layer, set it at 50% (this will vary) and paint with the sampled color where skin tone varies. This will close the gap on skin color, without it looking too fake. Obviously play with the opacity to figure that out.

As far as tan lines are concerned. Are we talking big spaces, or thin lines or what?

Yeh I used this technique too, combined with cloning. It's still hard to make it look good because I'm talking big spaces. Like the models tans wearing a bikini. So, full groin area and bum is pasty white, and two triangle white on her chest, lol.

May 28 09 04:43 am Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Btw I tried my technique, works quite well. But you need good skin detail for it to work

May 28 09 04:51 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Andrew Chorley wrote:
Btw I tried my technique, works quite well. But you need good skin detail for it to work

Yeh wasn't very suitable for my lot, but I could see how it could work so it's good to know for the future. smile

May 28 09 04:57 am Link

Photographer

Andrew77uk

Fair enough

May 28 09 05:14 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

As mentioned one of the best ways to do it is using clone tool utilizing various modes. You can do that by changing different layers or changing the tool.  I find changing the tool and experimenting quickly initially saves time.  Then do it by utilizing multiple layers set to different modes.  That allows you to change opacity or even throw out and start again on one area. 

Usually no one mode will do.   I have found for me the best to be linear dodge and burn and color dodge and burn.  Usually at lower setting.  Sometimes color or luminosity.  Got to experiment lots.

This one really forced me to learn.  One of my hardest because of the water drops:

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/080218/20/47ba302d8ee8b_m.jpg

The other thing I am doing now is using the history brush set on multiply or screen.  You can use the current history level.  Doesn't matter.  It is incredible.  No color shift.  Try it!

May 28 09 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Southern Exposure Foto

Delhi, Louisiana, US

Brennan Barrett wrote:

Never ceases to amAze how many people offer their advice without reading. even if the OP was a photographer he is asking for help with THIS photo and not what he SHOULD have done, I guess none of the ones suggesting makeup have ever had to fix a mistake,

May 28 09 05:32 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Southern Exposure Foto wrote:
Never ceases to amAze how many people offer their advice without reading. even if the OP was a photographer he is asking for help with THIS photo and not what he SHOULD have done, I guess none of the ones suggesting makeup have ever had to fix a mistake,

I agree, I thought it would be pretty straight forward as I'm a photo-wizard, posting in a re-touching forum asking for re-touching advice, not make up advice. But aww well.

p.s. I'm a woman wink

May 28 09 05:37 am Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Rik Austin wrote:
The other thing I am doing now is using the history brush set on multiply or screen.  You can use the current history level.  Doesn't matter.  It is incredible.  No color shift.  Try it!

Interesting! I'll have a play around with that, thanks. smile

May 28 09 05:38 am Link

Retoucher

UltraviolethRetouch

Rīga, Rīga, Latvia

I'd use the clone tool
from the tanned areas
to the ones that aren't,
using darken only mode.

May 28 09 11:23 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Skin color adjustments in specific areas on the model are pretty common task even when working with good photographers, mua's, exc... Sometimes its a tan line sometimes its the face color being a little different because of the makeup or sometimes its just lighting.

I use a combination of some of the techniques, but the first thing I always start with is an adjustment layer. This usually gives me a good starting point to work from.

May 28 09 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

UltraviolethRetouch wrote:
I'd use the clone tool
from the tanned areas
to the ones that aren't,
using darken only mode.

this is what i do, i have opacity at 7-10% and hardness setting at 45 and zoom in

May 28 09 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Hands

Milton, Ontario, Canada

Melissa,

Which method has worked for you so far? I'm curious to know.

May 28 09 01:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Digital Hands wrote:
Melissa,

Which method has worked for you so far? I'm curious to know.

Cloning set on darken only, this gives me a base to work on and then I use painting and smaller cloning and healing to blend it all in. smile smile

May 28 09 10:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SarahKay

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia

Melissa Little wrote:

I agree, I thought it would be pretty straight forward as I'm a photo-wizard, posting in a re-touching forum asking for re-touching advice, not make up advice. But aww well.

p.s. I'm a woman wink

It's funny how things work. We get the opposite in the HMS forum sad Why must ppl try to be funny and unhelpful when it's not needed.

May 29 09 12:17 am Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

you can use your lasso and select the area you need to lighten or darken to match the other areas around it using the curves layer...deselect and then erase where the two meet so they match up in color

May 29 09 08:10 am Link

Photographer

studio kgm inc

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Traciee D wrote:
you can use your lasso and select the area you need to lighten or darken to match the other areas around it using the curves layer...deselect and then erase where the two meet so they match up in color

this is what i do... just feather according to how sharp the edges of the lines are and it will help blend.

May 29 09 08:19 am Link