Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Ever see your work on non-calibrated monitors?

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

I meant to add "do" at the beginning of the title, but there is not enough space.

Anyway, I have seen mine, and the work of others on many many monitors and each of them look so much different, that it's a shame we can't really control how other people see our work.

It almost makes you wonder if they think our work is bad because of something we physically can't control. I was not happy with what I saw but had to keep in mind that the monitor was just not calibrated. Especially laptop screens, cheap LCD screens, or MAC screens with a higher gamma output out of the box. The last thing I want is people to think we are just blind when something is not correct when it's only because their monitors are to blame.

The sad part, is I have also seen my work on many other calibrated monitors and even between them, they all looked different. from color shifts to exposure issues, yikes. But it was subtle, though enough to make us complain since we are that detail oriented.

Does that ever bother you? I mean, what can you do, right?

May 30 09 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

Los Angeles, California, US

well a portion of it depends on the browser you're looking at them. Firefox has a tendency to desaturate photos a bit, at least they look desaturated anyway. I tend to use Chrome as my main browser.

I didn't realize my colors were off on my retouches when i saw what they looked like on a calibrated monitor. Needless to say, I calibrated my monitor once I got back home.

SUCH a big difference.

update: saw that you meant offline stuff. yeah, it bothers a bit because you're showing off your work and it's almost painful to look at.

May 30 09 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Solstice Photo

Houston, Texas, US

fm_photographie wrote:
well a portion of it depends on the browser you're looking at them. Firefox has a tendency to desaturate photos a bit, at least they look desaturated anyway. I tend to use Chrome as my main browser.

I didn't realize my colors were off on my retouches when i saw what they looked like on a calibrated monitor. Needless to say, I calibrated my monitor once I got back home.

SUCH a big difference.

update: saw that you meant offline stuff. yeah, it bothers a bit because you're showing off your work and it's almost painful to look at.

There's a setting to also adjust firefox back to true color as well. It works nicely.

Ah yes, offline stuff, browser independent.

What did you use to calibrate with?  Syder2pro?

May 30 09 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

i use the spyder 2 express. it's cheap but i haven't had any problems with it. ideally, i'd like to get a colormunki and invest in a better monitor as well, but as a college student, i can't afford to invest 300 clams. we use colormunki's at school, but i've also heard good things about the gretag's eye-one tool.

May 31 09 12:08 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

i had to work on a LCD TV cool for tv shows ect.... but i have no idea what things look like sad till i get my monter and my computer back up.

May 31 09 12:17 am Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

you changed your page up. i just noticed that.

i've been looking around at different wizards and saw your port. Pretty inspirational  stuff.

May 31 09 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Solstice Photo

Houston, Texas, US

fm_photographie wrote:
i use the spyder 2 express. it's cheap but i haven't had any problems with it. ideally, i'd like to get a colormunki and invest in a better monitor as well, but as a college student, i can't afford to invest 300 clams. we use colormunki's at school, but i've also heard good things about the gretag's eye-one tool.

It does get pricey! I also would love a new lacie screen, too.

May 31 09 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Ernesto Casillas

ewww everytime i use the computers at my school, i criiinge at my photos

May 31 09 12:34 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

when i retouch, i do it for print.

web is ultimately completely out of your control.

May 31 09 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Star

well for prints, brent lets me put a rainbow on the bottom of each print in a smal bit of deadspace. I then know the images will match the colors on my screen.

May 31 09 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

Sounds bad, doesn't it? It isn't, really.

Our brains are clever. WE adjust quickly to abnormalities, and process them as the norm. That's why after a while we forget about a humming fan in the background, a bad smell in a room, or warm colours from being under incandescent lighting.

If you are used to a monitor, even if it has a weird green hue to it, good images will look good, and bad images will look bad. Your brain is cleverer than any colour calibrator.

May 31 09 04:56 am Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

Davepit wrote:
Sounds bad, doesn't it? It isn't, really.

Our brains are clever. WE adjust quickly to abnormalities, and process them as the norm. That's why after a while we forget about a humming fan in the background, a bad smell in a room, or warm colours from being under incandescent lighting.

If you are used to a monitor, even if it has a weird green hue to it, good images will look good, and bad images will look bad. Your brain is cleverer than any colour calibrator.

Thank you, that sounds pretty logical, in the sense of how our mind actually adjust to things even within the wrong conditions.

May 31 09 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

ASYLUM - Art Nudes

Washington, District of Columbia, US

All you can do is balance your monitor at home the best you can, and what other people see is what they see.

My work has covered the gamut of blown out white to blown out dark, from blue tint to yellow tint on a variety of monitors. Sometimes it makes me cringe. I can't really do much about it though.

May 31 09 12:16 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

I have to turn on the calibration on my computer- it defaults to off.  So, when I'm just casually on the internet and such, I see everything with an average computer screen... and they look fine.  I'm not worried about other people seeing them in this manner- it's actually not that bad.  Sure, it's not perfect, the colors might be slightly off, and the exposure too, but it's not a HUGE difference.

May 31 09 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Calibrated monitor or not, your jpgs will look different on every other site. The fact is that it can look different due to different servers on one site. I have an image in my port that changed saturation when MM changed servers.

All you can hope is to get close or if you're real picky, upload..view it, note the color shift, replace the original with the modified version. But that doesn't mean anyone else will view it the same as you do. It's SCREWED UP!

May 31 09 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

biwa

Pinole, California, US

How about when you have to explain what a calibrated monitor is and they look at you like you are  some crazy tech nerd.

May 31 09 02:22 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Rebel Photo wrote:
Calibrated monitor or not, your jpgs will look different on every other site. The fact is that it can look different due to different servers on one site. I have an image in my port that changed saturation when MM changed servers.

Interesting.

I've never seen that or heard it mentioned anywhere before, and I've been dabbling in color management for almost 10 years. Do you have any other examples?

May 31 09 02:35 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Rebel Photo wrote:

All you can hope is to get close or if you're real picky, upload..view it, note the color shift, replace the original with the modified version. But that doesn't mean anyone else will view it the same as you do. It's SCREWED UP!

The saturation shift you're seeing if from the jpg not being in the right format.  It needs to be in sRGB.  When you do a Save For Web, you'll be able to preview what the image will look like on the internet.  You can also do this by proofing for Monitor RGB.

May 31 09 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

I had a client tell me my images were too dark in the shadows.  I asked them if they were viewing the images on calibrated monitors. The answer I got was the art director was a computer illustrator.  Although, it didn't answer my question, I assumed the AD calibrated his monitor.  I lightened my images up....guessing as to how light to go. 

Later the client told me they'd lightened up my work so it'd look good on their monitors only to have it too light when it went to print.
Apparently their monitors were losing shadow detail.  I think they decided to make sure they calibrated their monitors.

I use a Color Vision Spyder2.  It won't read monitor luminance.  So I had a friend bring his calibrator over and found my luminance setting was within tolerance.

I think that’s the best we can hope for.. that our work is within tolerances.

My work ends up in magazines, brochures and on the web.  With the exception of the previous client, I’ve had no real problems.

May 31 09 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

John Felici

Pascoag, Rhode Island, US

sometimes I look at my work with very dark sunglasses with huge gaping gouges all over the lens...my "work" looks bad when I do that too...
Also when I look at my "work" when my head is in my a>( it looks pretty bad too

May 31 09 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

LightWriting

Long Beach, California, US

Digital Trials and Tribulations! LOL

Ok... here's a down and dirty screen check for everyone... works with my calibrated monitor If you can't do at least 10 through 90 on the Gray Scale you may have issues.

https://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/lightwriting_rt/screenCK.jpg

May 31 09 05:17 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

LightWriting wrote:

Ok... here's a down and dirty screen check for everyone... works with my calibrated monitor If you can't do at least 10 through 90 on the Gray Scale you may have issues.

I am in perfect alignment! Thank you for that

May 31 09 06:46 pm Link

Retoucher

Solstice Retouch

New York, New York, US

KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:
I had a client tell me my images were too dark in the shadows.  I asked them if they were viewing the images on calibrated monitors. The answer I got was the art director was a computer illustrator.  Although, it didn't answer my question, I assumed the AD calibrated his monitor.  I lightened my images up....guessing as to how light to go. 

Later the client told me they'd lightened up my work so it'd look good on their monitors only to have it too light when it went to print.
Apparently their monitors were losing shadow detail.  I think they decided to make sure they calibrated their monitors.

I use a Color Vision Spyder2.  It won't read monitor luminance.  So I had a friend bring his calibrator over and found my luminance setting was within tolerance.

I think that’s the best we can hope for.. that our work is within tolerances.

My work ends up in magazines, brochures and on the web.  With the exception of the previous client, I’ve had no real problems.

Thank you!

I share the same story with a client - upon sending the final tiff file, they truly believed the images had the same issue. I refuted with the calibration issue on their monitor and did not want to hear it. Things like that make me wonder if I'm the one at fault - but I guess as you said, we do our best and the rest is up to hope.

May 31 09 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hall

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

you have no idea how many times i've been told by clients "oh you should get rid of that big old clunky monitor and get a nice new flat-screen!"
I-D-I-O-T-S
i also had clients walk me to their computers to show me photos they've saved to give me an idea of a concept they're trying to explain, and the calibration is so far off it's amazing anyone using it wasn't blind by that time.
anyway.....to answer your question........YUP!

May 31 09 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Reflected

New York, New York, US

May 31 09 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

I have seen my MM portfolio on about 10 different monitors, Some were said to have been "calibrated". I saw 10 very different appearances of my portfolio. Most looked horrible by my standards, but it looks great on mine. My LCD monitor cost $1600, it is "calibrated", and is never as satisfying as my $500 CRT was before it died. The only thing that makes the whole thing OK by me is that my prints match my monitor about 97% in terms of color balance, and brightness because of how I coordinate my workflow. I have made this argument to my peers in The Photo Arts Group, and don't seem to get any disagreement. I don't believe in the system, or other peoples monitors, OR images on the web. Something is askew somewhere. It has been a constant fight to keep things coordinated in my own system, and I can't say anything about what anyone else is doing for their color management. Someday, maybe.
-Don

Jun 01 09 12:30 am Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

monitors should be calibrated often but people often forget to do so.  And i've seen some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad monitors out there of some photographers and artist that didn't even know what calibration for the screens were, they just ''thought'' that the computer was correct with all the color.  OUCH!

Jun 01 09 05:10 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

Lookinghooks wrote:

Jun 01 09 06:40 am Link

Photographer

biwa

Pinole, California, US

LightWriting wrote:

Thats going to give a lot of people false confidence .  I can drag that over to my non calibrated TN panel and I can still get from 0 to 95.   And I wouldn't  trust that monitor for anything.

Jun 01 09 12:30 pm Link