Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Labelling "Before" and "After"

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Personally I think if you're good enough than you should NOT have to label "before" or "after"....if people can't tell for themselves than you probably shouldn't be photoshopping!

Are there any GOOD reasons to label your photos?

Jun 03 09 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

fm_photographie

Los Angeles, California, US

showing people that aren't photoshop savvy and aren't used to staring at photos for hours on end.

Jun 03 09 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

deek images

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

An excuse to use the swanky new font I just downloaded.

wink

It doesn't really bother me and I think labels can be helpful sometimes. True, you shouldn't really need to label them but sometimes it works. And it can be sort of like a watermark, in a way.

Jun 03 09 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

GavinJPhoto

Spokane, Washington, US

lol i wish i was a frog

Jun 03 09 05:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

DigitalEdge Photography wrote:
oh get over yourself.

I'm sorry... I wasn't really looking for a fight when I posted this.  I was curious if people really think them useful or not.

I do like the fancy font excuse:) thats awsome.

Jun 03 09 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

If I'm shooting for a makeup artist or hair stylist I often do a "before" and "after" montage, you gotta a problem wit dat?

Jun 03 09 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

M A R T I N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

JL Retouching wrote:
if people can't tell for themselves than you probably shouldn't be photoshopping!

no shit! but I have seen many before and afters where the result was so bad I preferred the original wink

Jun 03 09 05:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Becka Retouching

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I never label mine.. I guess I always assumed it's obvious..

but then again i'm not what you would call "professional"... so i could be making an incorrect assumption...

Jun 03 09 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Essential Form

Sedalia, Missouri, US

*chuckle*

I've seen bifolds where I honestly couldn't tell which was "before".  I found that incredibly amusing.

Jun 03 09 05:58 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

oh get over yourself.

How rude.

Jun 03 09 06:01 pm Link

Retoucher

Pickyme

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, US

deek images wrote:
An excuse to use the swanky new font I just downloaded.

wink

It doesn't really bother me and I think labels can be helpful sometimes. True, you shouldn't really need to label them but sometimes it works. And it can be sort of like a watermark, in a way.

LOL.. That is why I do it! Live the fonts! HA HA

Jun 03 09 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

-krphoto-

Sacramento, California, US

IMO it's kind of redundant and adding labels takes up extra time I could be actually editing. Not to mention it's redundant. tongue

Jun 03 09 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

GavinJPhoto

Spokane, Washington, US

yeah ... again i wish i was a frog

i'm not gunna lie Miss JL Retouch ...your really good. But maybe some people like the touch of text.

Jun 03 09 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

slave to the lens

Woodland Hills, California, US

yeah ... again i wish i was a frog

i'm not gunna lie Miss JL Retouch ...your really good. But maybe some people like the touch of text.

Now was that so hard to say? She wasn't personally attacking you by starting a thread. Having differing opinions is why she asked but if you're gonna be snotty take it to SF2 or the soapbox. It doesn't belong in the Industry fora.

Jun 03 09 07:17 pm Link

Retoucher

dLQ Retouch

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

You know what, come to think of it, I actually don't know why I do that... weird, for real... I think we are all followers of someone who started what may be a bad habit... thanks for bringing that up!!

Jun 03 09 09:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Melissa Little

Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia

I think it depends where you're posting it, some people aren't as savvy or aware as others. On MM though, it's not really needed.

Jun 03 09 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

BornArts

Fresno, California, US

Before & Afters are always labeled, here, in magazines, and commercials, spite the fact that it is plainly obvious...Most of the time.  It's just SOP to label demonstrations.

Jun 03 09 11:18 pm Link

Retoucher

LMNDPT Retouching

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

i've seen a couple of before & after images in wizard's ports where I noticed many people were commenting on the original and thought it was the after saying how much better it was (ouch for the wizard)

I always put 'Before', 'After' and 'Retouching by Lumendipity' on the images, partly as 'branding' and also to clearly show what the photographer's work is, and what my value add (hopefully) is, and to avoid any confusion if for some reason my work wouldn't be good enough to make it obvious.

On one of the images i have encircled areas on the 'before' to point out some things I've worked on.. it's amazing how people, even with before & after next to each other, don't notice some details until they're pointed out, where some of the work has been put in..

Jun 04 09 10:51 am Link