Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > CS3: Two technical problems.... need help please

Photographer

DOF Images

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have been working with CS3 for a while and have never encountered this.

Firstly: I normally do greyscale conversion after RAW processing, but but decided that the job only required RAW processing at the time so i changed the file to grey scale in the RAW conversion process and saved as a jpeg directly from it without going fully into photoshop to play. My problem is, i decided to do some editing on the JPEG in photoshop later and it would only allow me to edit in greyscale and i could not add any colours AT ALL. even in the colour pallet after i selected my colour it turned to grey on the toolbar......

anyway second problem:
Photoshop has suddenly decided not to let me SAVE AS as all the usual files.... it only lets me do TIFF and an assortment of .PSD files. JPEG is gone..... for what seems to be no reason at all. so now i have to resort to "save as for web".

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. i have worked my way around but it takes so much more time to do it.
thanks
-Steve

Jun 04 09 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

You'll need to convert your file back to RGB for color manipulations.  Check to see if you're in 8 or 16bit mode. Jpeg won't allow saves in 16bit.

bt

Jun 04 09 12:52 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

ah thanks ill try it. but i dont understand why you cant add other layers in colour just because you converted to grey scale in RAW

Jun 04 09 12:56 am Link

Photographer

webbed foot photography

Los Alamitos, California, US

Steve Broadbent wrote:
I have been working with CS3 for a while and have never encountered this.

Firstly: I normally do greyscale conversion after RAW processing, but but decided that the job only required RAW processing at the time so i changed the file to grey scale in the RAW conversion process and saved as a jpeg directly from it without going fully into photoshop to play. My problem is, i decided to do some editing on the JPEG in photoshop later and it would only allow me to edit in greyscale and i could not add any colours AT ALL. even in the colour pallet after i selected my colour it turned to grey on the toolbar......

anyway second problem:
Photoshop has suddenly decided not to let me SAVE AS as all the usual files.... it only lets me do TIFF and an assortment of .PSD files. JPEG is gone..... for what seems to be no reason at all. so now i have to resort to "save as for web".

Any help would be greatly appreciated on this. i have worked my way around but it takes so much more time to do it.
thanks
-Steve

Steve,

For the first problem, try changing the color setting to RGB in Image>Mode>RGB Color. That sounds like the issue.

For the second, did you change your BIT setting? You might be in 16 bit mode instead of 8-bit. Image>Mode>8-Bit. Not 100% if that's the issue, but I can only guess from what you have described.

Cheers,
Al

Jun 04 09 12:57 am Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Remove the application and reinstall it.

Jun 04 09 01:01 am Link

Photographer

webbed foot photography

Los Alamitos, California, US

If you converted to grayscale then you are in grayscale mode. There is no color, just B&W. You need to set your color mode back to RGB in order to add color layers.

Jun 04 09 01:03 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

I think you've fixed my problem! YOU'RE AWESOME!!! :-) THANKS

Jun 04 09 01:03 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

No wonder the file took so long to open..... it was like, 400+ MB

Jun 04 09 01:05 am Link

Photographer

KB9NDF

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Steve Broadbent wrote:

That must be quite a piece of work to be that big. What did you use to shoot it, The Hubble space telescope? I didn't know it shot in RAW.

Jun 04 09 01:08 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

Haha no it was not a single layer, it may have been 4x16 bit tiff files stacked on each other
I think the original was 54MB after it was edited in an HDR program

Jun 04 09 01:12 am Link

Photographer

DOF Images

Oh and P.S. i doubt the amount of optical zoom on a telescope has anything to do with the size of file the camera body attached produces :-P  haha i couldnt let that one go

Jun 04 09 01:17 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Moderator Warning!

RSM-images wrote:

Remove the application and reinstall it.

No BS.

You've posted this ridiculous advice for a dozen situations which have nothing to do with the installation of the application. Yes, there are times a reinstallation may be helpful. None of the situations you recommended it for fell into that category.

Please do not do so again.

Jun 04 09 02:05 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Steve Broadbent wrote:

As noted, Grayscale files are only one channel; they don't contain any color information. That said, they also tend to be smaller files for the same bit-depth and pixel count, because they are only one channel instead of 3 (RGB or LAB) or 4 (CMYK).

It's also worth noting that 16-bit files are typically more than twice as large as their equivalent 8-bit files due to the way Photoshop saves them.

And, also as noted, 16-bit files can't be saved as JPEGs. Which is silly, given that layered files can't save the layers as a JPEG, but Photoshop lets you save as a JPEG anyhow, by (temporarily) flattening the file behind the scenes before it saves. It's a long-standing annoyance with Photoshop in that regard, but it persists even in CS4.

Jun 04 09 02:14 am Link