Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Cell Phone Ban in NYC High Schools

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

GOOD THING or BAD THING? It's already been done in my school and in NYC its only a matter of time until its in everyones school. I read something saying that if it works here in NY it might be applied elsewhere, any opinions? Personally I find it extremely dangerous post 9/11 and it's really only a slight incovenience that doesn't deserve such strong measures.

A few of my friends had a petition witth 1500 signatures, our principal I believe sent it to the chancellor who ignored it. Now they've created a big petition for parents....

May 08 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

you should be learning, not gabbing on the phone.

May 08 06 02:12 pm Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Electra T wrote:
GOOD THING or BAD THING? It's already been done in my school and in NYC its only a matter of time until its in everyones school. I read something saying that if it works here in NY it might be applied elsewhere, any opinions? Personally I find it extremely dangerous post 9/11 and it's really only a slight incovenience that doesn't deserve such strong measures.

A few of my friends had a petition witth 1500 signatures, our principal I believe sent it to the chancellor who ignored it. Now they've created a big petition for parents....

What do you mean by banned?

May 08 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

I think students should be allowed to bring them to school but should not use them while in school.  Kids travelling to and from school may need their cell phones for emergencies.  So long as they dont use them while in class I dont see why the city should make a problem.

May 08 06 02:13 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

BCG wrote:
you should be learning, not gabbing on the phone.

Yah but I've never witness anyone chatting it up in class. My school has I think 3500 kids in it with 1 pay phone. We've always had the ban but the difference was that if u were caught using it IN CLASS it was supposed to be confiscated.

May 08 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

I never realized you were only 17 years old.  You are so smart and cute.  - and very mature!

May 08 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

About time! You should leave your phone in your locker, turned off during classtime. I wish I could convince people to do that in restaurants. My favorite has a dead zone. Not sure how they did it, but inside - no service.

May 08 06 02:18 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:

What do you mean by banned?

I mean you aren't allowed to have them. In my school they have metal detectors and if it goes off they take you cell and any electronics u have one u. Strangely enough they took my ipod and lost it so they had to give me a new one. This ban is silly and dangerous

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Electra T wrote:

Yah but I've never witness anyone chatting it up in class. My school has I think 3500 kids in it with 1 pay phone. We've always had the ban but the difference was that if u were caught using it IN CLASS it was supposed to be confiscated.

i have heard of kids taking picures of the tests and sending them to their friends...no phones...and bring back school uniforms.

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Lens N Light wrote:
About time! You should leave your phone in your locker, turned off during classtime. I wish I could convince people to do that in restaurants. My favorite has a dead zone. Not sure how they did it, but inside - no service.

That locker business is fine, but they won't allow us to bring it at all! This is high school, too many of us have after school jobs and longgg ass rides home for that stuff. I don't get out of school until 7 or 8 o'clock cuz i'm in the lab and I work in school.

May 08 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

A professor I once had deducted points for latenesses.  If you were late enough times, it could affect your grade.  I'd do the same for cell phones ringing in my classroom.  I'd give the students fair warning, and no excuses:  Turn off your phones upon entering my classroom!  But between classes use of cellphones should be OK.

May 08 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

you know, i wish someone would ban them in the classrooms at colleges too! i had people ANSWER their phones in the middle of class... not get up and go outside and take an emergency call, but SIT there in their seats... and ANSWER THEIR PHONES.

it's a shame we have to make rules about things common courtesy should handle.

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Electra T wrote:

I never needed a phone in school.
I think I called home once in 4 years.
I'll bet you see lots of your friends texting each other in class.
I won't even tell you how many jammers (yeah, I know they're illegal) I've helped install in churches and theaters.

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

BCG wrote:

i have heard of kids taking picures of the tests and sending them to their friends...no phones...and bring back school uniforms.

Well I've heard of kids writing answer on the inside of watet bottle wrappers of on the bottoms of their shoes..should we ban those?? No, if it became serious and out of hand you'd check shoes and water bottles..or in this case you'd collect the phones. Its pretty simplee.

May 08 06 02:24 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

It's a safety issue, I don't think its safe to send kids of to East New York, Crown heights, FLATBUSH and Bushwick without there cell-phones. I think if it wasn't a safety issues families wouldn't be fighting it like they are...ofcourse its rude when a cell goes of it class but isn't easier to come up with a procedure for when a parent calls. My mom called the school this year to give me a message about my dad being in the hospital, I never got it I stayed in school until 8 that day instead of going to the hospital. I know its only one example but still.

May 08 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

There will always be people (young or old) who will abuse the rights and priveleges they have.  But it is unfair to punish everyone for the actions of a minority.  I wouldn't want my rights or property taken away from me because someone else is doing something wrong.

May 08 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Damn, and to think I got in trouble if I took a calculator in to math class!

May 08 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Everyone brings up the" what if my kid has an emergency and needs me?"
I say get them one of those emergency number only cell phones they make for little kids now with a 911 button, fire button, police button and a mommy and daddy home button and leave the real cell phone at home during the hours we pay for them to learn.

May 08 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Beatbox Jeebus v2

Palatine, Illinois, US

Nothing really that new.... Here in IL cell phones have always been banned. Do I agree with it? No, emergencies or not schools shouldnt have the choice;however,if a student is distracting others with it, then I could see where actions might be done.

May 08 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Electra T wrote:
It's a safety issue, I don't think its safe to send kids of to East New York, Crown heights, FLATBUSH and Bushwick without there cell-phones.

Tell me how having a cell phone has made them safer, has the posession of cell phones some how stopped crimes ? If so, I think the alarm and fire arm industry is screwed.

May 08 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

Claudette V wrote:
I think students should be allowed to bring them to school but should not use them while in school.  Kids travelling to and from school may need their cell phones for emergencies.  So long as they dont use them while in class I dont see why the city should make a problem.

Do you honestly believe that if high school students are allowed to bring them to school they wont use them.

As far as I know all high schools have the same ban in Cincinnati.

May 08 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Scott Meyer wrote:

Do you honestly believe that if high school students are allowed to bring them to school they wont use them.

Cincinnati has bans on everything lol smile

May 08 06 02:57 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

Scott Meyer wrote:

I think if they use them in school then they should be confiscated.  This way only the kids who break the rules get punished.

May 08 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Lens N Light wrote:

Either a coincidence or they are illegally blocking transmissions.  Illegally because it is against the law to interfere with any communication devices.  This is why movie theaters have to ask you to turn off your phones.  Otherwise they would block them on purpose.

May 08 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

I can`t even have my cell phone in my pocket at my job, and kids get to take them to school. sheesh.

May 08 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Cincinnati has bans on everything lol smile

not riots.

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Electra T wrote:
GOOD THING or BAD THING?

Yay

\big_smile/

When I have kids the rule will be "No cell phone until you can pay for it yourself."  I may or may not choose to lend it to them when they go out with their friends so that they can call me if they need a ride.  Regardless it will be locked to making calls home or to my cell phone or home number.

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

I agree that cell phones should not be allowed in schools at all. It is too easy to use them for cheating, too disruptive if they go off in class, and generally not conducive to learning. AS far as safety goes...let teachers have cell phones if needed, but cell phones can be used for criminals to communicate, drug dealers, I.E.D.'s and so forth. Cell phone in no way = safety.

May 08 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Tell me how having a cell phone has made them safer, has the posession of cell phones some how stopped crimes ? If so, I think the alarm and fire arm industry is screwed.

Sure, this girl on church ave(flatbush) got into a fake taxi on her way home from Erasmus high school. She used her cell phone to get help. This girl in Newark NJ, was kidnapped and they traced her cell phone. You've never watched the news and heard "the victim used her cell phone to call for help". I sure have, in fact I heard it today on NY1 in the morning. There are better options than telling teens and PARENTS to leave there cells at home. A cell phone is not a gun and a parent should have the right to determine whether they want there kids to have one. Not only that but from what I've heard and from my own experience High Schools don't have a plan of action in case people need to reach there parents. I'm sure on 9/11 kids were reaching there parents when they heard what happend and for a lot of ppl it was helpful.

May 08 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Claudette V wrote:

I think if they use them in school then they should be confiscated.  This way only the kids who break the rules get punished.

That was the original rule,  but teachers weren't inforcing it.

May 08 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Yeah, you might be screaming it's an emergency thing, but somehow I get the feeling that you are using that excuse because you can't be chatting up your friends during school hours, or on the way home from school. Oh, I'm sure if you research it, there is a ton of evidence to support your claim, but why don't you look around for a second. Everyone you see over 30-35 yrs old, never had a cell phone in school. Yet, and this may be a shocker to you but guess what...They're still alive!!!

Please...This argument is even worse than when I was in high school and gave my Mom the speech about how by getting me a car, it would be safer for me to get back and forth to school. *Yawn* come up with something good next time.

May 08 06 04:26 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Ed Remington wrote:
Yeah, you might be screaming it's an emergency thing, but somehow I get the feeling that you are using that excuse because you can't be chatting up your friends during school hours, or on the way home from school. Oh, I'm sure if you research it, there is a ton of evidence to support your claim, but why don't you look around for a second. Everyone you see over 30-35 yrs old, never had a cell phone in school. Yet, and this may be a shocker to you but guess what...They're still alive!!!

Please...This argument is even worse than when I was in high school and gave my Mom the speech about how by getting me a car, it would be safer for me to get back and forth to school. *Yawn* come up with something good next time.

No that not really true, I never used my cell phone during school what's the point everyones right there in front of me. My cell phones never gone off in class, not once. You're allowed to bring your phone into school if you're on a sports team and you have a game that day.

Anyway, parents have and issue with cell phone ban and thats what matters. This isn't my arguments its thousands of parents, teachers and SCHOOL OFFICIALS who feel the exact same way. If you think its safe for a 14 year old to get out of school at 8 o'clock at night and not have his/her phone to contact there parent then fine for you, but thousands of parents feel differently. I think it's also very silly for you to say "oh you just want to talk to your friends", give teenagers more credit than that.

I found this article on it

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/s … 0726c.html

May 08 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Electra T wrote:
If you think its safe for a 14 year old to get out of school at 8 o'clock at night and not have his/her phone to contact there parent then fine for you, but thousands of parents feel differently. I think it's also very silly for you to say "oh you just want to talk to your friends", give teenagers more credit than that.

Wait, so NY does not have pay phones?

May 08 06 04:53 pm Link

Model

Claudette V

Envy wrote:

Working public pay phones are getting harder and harder to find.

May 08 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Envy wrote:

In my school we have 3 pay phones, Ironically enough we can't use two of them because that's where they store the metal detectors.Fucking stupid. Pay phones in brooklyn..they have them on subway platforms but a lot of them don't work anymore because I'd say the majority of people have become dependent on their cell phones. That actually happend to me, my school is in coney island and i had to call my mum..1 out of the 3 pay phones i found actually worked.

Heres an article on payphones
http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2006/ … se_her.php

May 08 06 04:57 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Disappearing pay phones, fair enough.
How about other land lines? Businesses in the area surely have a phone a teen can use if they are in distress.

May 08 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Electra T wrote:
If you think its safe for a 14 year old to get out of school at 8 o'clock at night and not have his/her phone to contact there parent then fine for you, but thousands of parents feel differently. I think it's also very silly for you to say "oh you just want to talk to your friends", give teenagers more credit than that.

Millions of NYC kids did it in previous centuries...

May 08 06 05:16 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Envy wrote:
Disappearing pay phones, fair enough.
How about other land lines? Businesses in the area surely have a phone a teen can use if they are in distress.

Ha! Are you kidding? You're lucky if they let you use the bathroom. I mean I see what you're saying, but I honestly thinking they should just buy cubbies or lockers. A lot of the courthouses in Brooklyn confiscated cell phones and picture id and you get it back when you're leave the building.

May 08 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Lens N Light wrote:

First, if they created the dead zone, that's a federal offense.

Second, I prefer my son have his phone in school and if he misuses it, then confiscate it and call me. I am on the road during the day and at dismissal time, if I'm not going to be home, I need to divert him to someones' house. He is 11 and is legally not allowed to be home alone (or Childrens' Services can have him removed).

May 08 06 05:19 pm Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Thats dumb, I am really really sorry. But its true, I've gotten 100% 's on many tests by setting my camera phone to self timer , putting it in my pocket then taking a pic when I was supposedly "looking out the window", its a matter of game and how you use it.

My high school didn't have metal detectors, we only had school guard and video cameras.AND we were about to use out cell phones, yeah they we're "banned" but all you have to do is text behind someone's back and  when the teacher turns off the lights to watch a movie thats when you can sneak in a convo on the cell.

I think the Ban is very dumb, so are metal detectors!!!

thank God I graduated high school in 2003.

May 08 06 05:24 pm Link