Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Possibly another challenge....

Photographer

Erica Rae Perry

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

... for you retouchers. I don't know if anyone will even want to touch this photo, but I'd LOVE to see what everyone could do with it.

I went to a super shoot.. there was 2 MUA and 2 Special Effects (FX??) artists.

I got the chance to shoot two together... one of the effects was taking a 25 year old guy and making him look like an old man.. and I shot him with a pretty girl. smile Unfortunately I can't figure out how to edit the old man.. and I'd love to see what y'all could come up with. Feel free to do whatever to this picture! Use in your port, if you want (credit me and MUA Lauren Kattan MM#1064209).

The old man make up just seemed way too sloppy for me to feel like I can actually do anything with it. I'm not good enough. sad

I'm at work and don't have the RAW file on this computer, sorry. sad

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/3823030611_11cb5a11b5.jpg

Full size: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/382 … 71a1_o.jpg

Hope someone actually does this. :

Aug 15 09 10:22 am Link

Retoucher

K o r a y

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

just make him pale and keep the eyes and lips red...regular stuff, you dont need anyone to do it tongue

Aug 15 09 10:41 am Link

Photographer

Erica Rae Perry

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Vault wrote:
just make him pale and keep the eyes and lips red...regular stuff, you dont need anyone to do it tongue

I don't want them to do it for me, I just want to see what other people are able to do with it.

Aug 15 09 11:03 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

https://a4.vox.com/6a0110184cd071860f0110180399a4860e-pi

I aborted the retouch when I came to the realization I'd spend half the day perfecting it if I wanted it photo-real.

It looks like the makeup artist used liquid latex, then painted in the wrinkles and applied a mole prosthetic. There's a problem with this approach: liquid latex and painting in wrinkles looks fake anywhere but on stage or on an extra.

For a close-up shot like this, your makeup artist should have make a cast of the model's face with alginate or silicon, and then used the cast to sculpt on wrinkles, then used the sculpture as a base for the final latex, gelatin, or silicone prosthetic. Why? Because as we age, our face dramatically sags and creates three dimensional wrinkles. This takes incredible skill to paint on, which is why it's usually done in prosthetics.

Now on to the retouch. What I did was search the creative commons licensed images of flikr for "old man face." I found various parts that would work with this shot, and masked in the folds and wrinkes (along with clipped curves, color balance, and hue-saturation adj. layers to keep the continuity). Keep in mind the drastic effect of gravity has on age, and position your features slightly lower than the original.

If I was going to complete this, I'd also mask in folds on his neck, and heavier cheek wrinkles. I'd also have found a mouth that matched the lighting better (this one has too much shadow inside),  adjusted the forehead wrinkles to work with the raised eyebrow, and replaced the eyes with milkier, softer edged iris.

It's always nice to see a photographer taking creative shots like this. Keep thinking outside the box!

Aug 15 09 12:48 pm Link

Aug 15 09 12:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouched2000

London, England, United Kingdom

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/wsgreen1975/4d1e6771a1_o-1.jpg

Aug 15 09 03:45 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Nice! Hahaha, GREAT expression, and I love how you made her fingers interact with his wrinkles like that.

Aug 15 09 04:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Retouched2000

London, England, United Kingdom

mikedimples wrote:
Nice! Hahaha, GREAT expression, and I love how you made her fingers interact with his wrinkles like that.

Thanks it was a quick one and I didn't spend long enough trying the blend the colours/skin tone so went the easy option for black and white although still looks a little uneven.

Aug 16 09 04:38 am Link