Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop performance and smart objects

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I'll admit it - I've literally not used smart objects in CS4 yet. However, I was just reading some stuff online and it said:

"Just now I talked about arranging your page elements into groups. You can take this a step further with smart objects. For global elements in designs such as the main navigation, it's useful to create every rollover state etc, and then convert the whole layer group into a smart object. This speeds up Photoshop's performance by reducing the amount of layers it has to have in memory."

I was thinking especially about my skin work and performance. With beauty, I can end up with 5 or 6 layers or sometimes more layers to get the skin to "completely sorted" stage. I want it to remain editable but, once it's done, I probably won't edit it again (or very little) and will work on other aspects of the image.

I'm wondering then whether smart objects could work well for me here. If I understand what's going on, I could convert all of the skin layers into a single smart object which would cause them to be still editable in a separate document if needed. However, from the perspective of the document I'm actually working on, it only has a single skin layer in memory while the rest of the work is being done. By only having the single layer in memory instead of 5 or 6, it improves performance. Right or wrong?

Does anyone else have any experience of this? Has it worked for you?

(P.S I'm not going to change my working methods and start flattening all of the skin layers, before anyone points it out wink )

Aug 18 09 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

The main benefit I find with smart objects is the ability to run a filter on a mask, such as sharpening and blurring. A close second, however, is that I can have a smart object in a different colour mode to my main file. E.g. the smart object could have a LAB curves layer to increase saturation, or fiddling with the magenta channel in CMYK.

Aug 18 09 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Davepit wrote:
The main benefit I find with smart objects is the ability to run a filter on a mask, such as sharpening and blurring. A close second, however, is that I can have a smart object in a different colour mode to my main file. E.g. the smart object could have a LAB curves layer to increase saturation, or fiddling with the magenta channel in CMYK.

I clearly need to look into smart objects then! Some good benefits to be had.

Aug 18 09 03:43 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

With a smart object, it's possible to apply a smart sharpen in luminosity blending mode to help avoid color artifacting.

Aug 18 09 04:15 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
If I understand what's going on, I could convert all of the skin layers into a single smart object which would cause them to be still editable in a separate document if needed.

I'm not sure I see how this could be an advantage. What's on these skin layers?

Aug 18 09 05:19 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Peano wrote:
I'm not sure I see how this could be an advantage. What's on these skin layers?

Just stuff I don't want to get rid of.. but probably won't need to edit again.

I'm fine with my workflow, just wondering if there are memory advantages with the technique of using smart objects.

Aug 18 09 05:48 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Phil Drinkwater wrote:

Just stuff I don't want to get rid of.. but probably won't need to edit again.

I'm fine with my workflow, just wondering if there are memory advantages with the technique of using smart objects.

In my workflow, skin layers typically are just blank layers where I do cloning and healing. Might also be one duplicate image layer for Portraiture. If that's the sort of "stuff" on your skin layers, I don't think you gain anything in terms of file size with smart objects. I usually combine them in a group just to tidy up the layers palette.

Aug 18 09 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Peano wrote:
In my workflow, skin layers typically are just blank layers where I do cloning and healing. Might also be one duplicate image layer for Portraiture. If that's the sort of "stuff" on your skin layers, I don't think you gain anything in terms of file size with smart objects. I usually combine them in a group just to tidy up the layers palette.

It's not an advantage in terms of file size - it's an advantage in terms of memory usage.. ie. RAM that is being used by Photoshop all the time, as opposed to disk space.

My understanding is that it will keep a rasterised version of that layer in memory without all of the layers which go to make it up. So, instead of 5 layers of 22MP 16 bit imagery, it will just keep ONE.

In essence it would be equivalent to keeping them all in their own group, except the group wouldn't be in memory all the time - just the net result of the group smile

Aug 18 09 06:46 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
My understanding is that it will keep a rasterised version of that layer in memory without all of the layers which go to make it up. So, instead of 5 layers of 22MP 16 bit imagery, it will just keep ONE.

I still don't know what kind of "stuff" you have on those five layers. Blank layers with healing and cloning on them don't take up a significant amount of memory. If you have more than one image layer (such as for Portraiture), then I'm wondering why. I often see people duplicating the image unnecessarily, which really wastes RAM.

Aug 18 09 07:44 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

Peano wrote:
I still don't know what kind of "stuff" you have on those five layers. Blank layers with healing and cloning on them don't take up a significant amount of memory. If you have more than one image layer (such as for Portraiture), then I'm wondering why.

Well if you have upwards of 10+ colour mask layers, curves adjustment layers for low pixel corrections then layers sub-divided into clipping masks it will start to eat into the RAM. Its not the actual 3 or 4 "re-touch" layers themselves its the whole lot including the finish colour layers.

Have I explained this right?

Aug 18 09 07:49 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Peano wrote:
I still don't know what kind of "stuff" you have on those five layers. Blank layers with healing and cloning on them don't take up a significant amount of memory. If you have more than one image layer (such as for Portraiture), then I'm wondering why. I often see people duplicating the image unnecessarily, which really wastes RAM.

lol well you can assume I don't have them for no reason smile

The question was more of a technical question about smart objects rather than why I need the extra layers...

Aug 18 09 07:54 am Link

Photographer

doctorontop

La Condamine, La Condamine, Monaco

Phil your understanding is correct the only thing to watch out for in cs4 with smart objects is the new ability to lock a mask to the the smart object itself this works great as long as you are not re-scaling as the mask can become degraded as it will not have the content protection of being inside the object.

Aug 18 09 08:48 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

It would be easy to find out exactly what you're saving by this technique. I keep System Eye running in the tray to monitor the percentage of RAM I'm using at any given moment. It's a free utility. Install it and you can monitor what happens with the smart objects.

https://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8751/systemeye.jpg

Aug 18 09 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

doctorontop wrote:
Phil your understanding is correct the only thing to watch out for in cs4 with smart objects is the new ability to lock a mask to the the smart object itself this works great as long as you are not re-scaling as the mask can become degraded as it will not have the content protection of being inside the object.

Thanks smile  I shouldn't be resizing, so I think I'll be OK.

Aug 18 09 09:02 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Peano wrote:
It would be easy to find out exactly what you're saving by this technique. I keep System Eye running in the tray to monitor the percentage of RAM I'm using at any given moment. It's a free utility. Install it and you can monitor what happens with the smart objects.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Aug 18 09 09:02 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
lol well you can assume I don't have them for no reason smile

I do assume that, but often when people duplicate image layers, they do it unnecessarily. For instance, I don't know how many times I've seen people duplicate the background layer, change blend mode to screen or multiply, put a black mask on the layer, and then paint with white to selectively reveal that screen or multiply effect.

This is a huge and unnecessary addition to files size and memory use. You don't have to duplicate the image layer at all for this effect. I'm not saying you do this. Just giving an example of how people needlessly tax RAM and multiply file size. Since your aim is to minimize use of memory, considerations such as this are relevant.

Aug 18 09 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Peano wrote:

This is a huge and unnecessary addition to files size and memory use. You don't have to duplicate the image layer at all for this effect. I'm not saying you do this. Just giving an example of how people needlessly tax RAM and multiply file size. Since your aim is to minimize use of memory, considerations such as this are relevant.

Nope. I don't do that..

Aug 18 09 09:36 am Link