Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Problem with PS CS4

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I just installed CS4 yesterday, and I am having a problem with several issues to get it configured like my CS3 was.  My biggest problem is that I can't see the brushes when I try to use them.  I can see my filters.  I know it has to do with my preferences, I think, but don't know what steps to take.  Can anyone help?

Aug 20 09 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Do you see your Tools palette?

If you can select your Brush tool (Usually by pressing "B" on your keyboard) then in the upper left you'll see an icon that looks like the Brush Tool with a dropdown arrow next to it. Click on that and you'll be presented with a dropdown dialog where you can choose your brush. If you look to the right in there, you will see a sideways arrow/triangle and if you click that, you will be presented with a dropdown menu to choose from.

I hope that's what you're talking about. smile

Aug 20 09 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Fun City Photo

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Envy Photography wrote:
I just installed CS4 yesterday, and I am having a problem with several issues to get it configured like my CS3 was.  My biggest problem is that I can't see the brushes when I try to use them.  I can see my filters.  I know it has to do with my preferences, I think, but don't know what steps to take.  Can anyone help?

If I understand you well: you can see the tools palette but when you use a brush you can not see it. If so go to Edit-Preferences-Display and cursors and select what you want.
You must close PS and reopen it in order that preferences take effect.

Aug 20 09 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Shizam1

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Get your latest video card driver.

There was a bug with CS4 where the healing brush ( and maybe others ) weren't visible if increased past a certain size.

Hope that helps.

Aug 20 09 10:49 am Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

CS4 uses something called Open GL, to display your images. It uses this to achieve some of the new display features, like rotating the canvas.

- You can disable it by going to your preferences in performance and unchecking open GL. Then restart Photoshop. If you try this and you see that it is now working Ok, then its a sure sign that the problem does lie with your Graphics Card. Some of the older graphics cards are not supported by CS4's new Open GL features.

Aug 20 09 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

And sometimes its just the Caps Lock that is on.

Aug 20 09 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Snap2 wrote:
CS4 uses something called Open GL, to display your images. It uses this to achieve some of the new display features, like rotating the canvas.

- You can disable it by going to your preferences in performance and unchecking open GL. Then restart Photoshop. If you try this and you see that it is now working Ok, then its a sure sign that the problem does lie with your Graphics Card. Some of the older graphics cards are not supported by CS4's new Open GL features.

Yes, it's this.  But, when I attempt to uncheck the "open GL features." it is greyed out and I can't check it.

Aug 20 09 04:45 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

pellepiano wrote:
And sometimes its just the Caps Lock that is on.

This.

Aug 20 09 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

mikedimples wrote:

This.

LOL...no...

Aug 20 09 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Photons 2 Pixels Images

Berwick, Pennsylvania, US

Envy Photography wrote:

LOL...no...

I think I'm confused.

Are you able to access your brush tool and/or settings?

Or are you saying you can't see the brush cursor while using the brush?

Aug 20 09 06:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Traciee D

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

caps!!!!????

Aug 20 09 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Karlsen

Gloversville, New York, US

Envy Photography wrote:

Yes, it's this.  But, when I attempt to uncheck the "open GL features." it is greyed out and I can't check it.

I'm pretty sure that before I upgraded my video card, the Open GL features were grey since the card didn't support the latest versions.  The program checked the card on install and didn't let the features open if it didn't like the card.

Only some cards are "approved" for CS4.  Some cards not on the list will still work, others not even though they seem to meet the spec.  Adobe does have some fixes and work arounds on their site, make sure you have all the latest upgrades!!

Aug 20 09 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Richard Karlsen wrote:

I'm pretty sure that before I upgraded my video card, the Open GL features were grey since the card didn't support the latest versions.  The program checked the card on install and didn't let the features open if it didn't like the card.

Only some cards are "approved" for CS4.  Some cards not on the list will still work, others not even though they seem to meet the spec.  Adobe does have some fixes and work arounds on their site, make sure you have all the latest upgrades!!

Yep...I've figured out that this is the problem...

Aug 20 09 09:32 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

Do you have caps lock on?

Aug 20 09 09:48 pm Link