Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Creating Gold Skin? Help!

Retoucher

Gavin Retouch

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Does anyone know a way to create a gold like maxim magazine skin color. I've been playing around with just about everything and cant seem to get the color i have in mind.

http://www.wallpapergate.com/data/media … va_005.jpg
The skin in that photo is exactly the color i want

Gavin James
GavinRetouch

Aug 20 09 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Los Angeles, California, US

Can we see an example?

Aug 20 09 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

BIOGIS MIGUEL

Mobile, Alabama, US

how do you upload a pic? im new to this

Aug 20 09 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Seems like a color applied all over the model  , even the whites in the eyes are affected.

Aug 20 09 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Dannielle Levan

New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada

I think OP's  image is more post processing that makup...she might have a tan but i see no shimmer.

Aug 20 09 01:10 pm Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

It almost looks like they used LOTS of warming filter?

Apply it only to the model not the background.  But don't forget to NOT apply it to the whites of the eyes.  They made her eyes orange in that pic.

Aug 20 09 01:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

Its most likely a Gradient Map

Aug 20 09 01:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Jessica Loewen Retouch

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Well I attempted it with the warming filter...but it makes it look oversaturated before it looks "golden" on the image I was using.  If anyone finds the "right" way to do it, I'd be curious to know too!

Aug 20 09 01:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Gavin Retouch

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Snap2 wrote:
Its most likely a Gradient Map

Ill show you guys what i come up with.
I did a gradient on it masked it ...i'm gunna keep guessing lol

Aug 20 09 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Skydancer Photos

Santa Cruz, California, US

Gavin Retouch wrote:
Ill show you guys what i come up with.
I did a gradient on it masked it ...i'm gunna keep guessing lol

try combining a few different layers of the gradient map and/or color filter. Play with mode (probably soft light, luminosity, etc.) and also with the opacities.

sometimes, you can just drop a soft light skin layer over top of the natural skin layer and a warm tone skin layer (in luminosity) and it will go warm and gold. but I think there's something different going on here.

Aug 20 09 01:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Aphoristic Precise

Los Angeles, California, US

Adjusting kelvin temperatures in raw nearly 90% of the time.

Aug 20 09 01:55 pm Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Two steps to this result: Imagenomic Portraiture (play with the warmth and tint sliders) followed by a B&W adjustment layer using the tint feature. (Obviously you can use masks to block eyes, etc., from that effect, and also adjust the hue and saturation.)

https://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1728/goldskin.jpg

Aug 20 09 01:58 pm Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

I did a golden one today so what I did was drop the model saturation down to theres "just" a tint of colour. Grab the colour adjust tool and play around alot with those settings. Your basically re-colouring the model. I just found it works better on a slightly coloured layer than completely desaturated. You may need 3 or 4 of these laters depending on the source image. Mine were easier as they were "red saturated". Anyway, once you have the basic colour use gradient maps and or photo filters to achieve the look. I just used photo filters. If your adding "shine" with burn and dodge make sure its done before the actual colouring as it goes a bit wierd if you dont do it before hand. Its really plastic if done after and just nasty!

Good luck!

Aug 20 09 02:21 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

Gavin - "I did a gradient on it masked it" - no a Gradient Map is a set of colors that map directly to the luminosity of the underlying layer. Its in your adjustment layers. The image you linked to looks very gradient map. But its retouched before applying the map.

Personally I HATE the look of all that orange, but hey what do I know

Aug 20 09 03:23 pm Link