Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How would you do this?

Photographer

Not This Guy

Aspen Cove, Guam, US

A bride leaving her wedding at night under a shower of the crowd waving sparklers. I've taken a good photo but she wants it in b/w with just the sparklers in color.

Any quicker way than painting on a layer mask? That would suck sad

Aug 21 09 02:04 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

Duplicate the background layer. Turn off the visibility of the underyling layer. Double click on the layer icon to access the blending options. Go down to the -blend if sliders. Because the sparkles are probably the lightest part of the image, you can fade all the darker information by sliding the upper black slider to the right. After you see just the sparkles, alt click the black tab and slide it to the left. It will separate into two tabs creating a nice smooth transition.

Now that you have just the sparkles visible on your top layer, drop the opacity of the underlying layer.

Aug 21 09 02:18 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

mikedimples wrote:
Duplicate the background layer. Turn off the visibility of the underyling layer. Double click on the layer icon to access the blending options. Go down to the -blend if sliders. Because the sparkles are probably the lightest part of the image, you can fade all the darker information by sliding the black slider (top one) to the right. After you see just the sparkles, alt click the black tab and slide it to the left. It will separate into two tabs, and create a nice smooth transition.

Now that you have just the sparkles visible on your top layer, drop the opacity of the underlying layer.

Whats up Mike? How ya been?

Aug 21 09 02:19 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Do I know you from somewhere?

Aug 21 09 02:21 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

mikedimples wrote:
Do I know you from somewhere?

Just the forums. I like your posts.

Aug 21 09 02:22 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Thanks. I'll keep doin' my best.

Aug 21 09 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Not This Guy

Aspen Cove, Guam, US

Thank you neighbor smile

Aug 21 09 02:33 pm Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

No problem, and for the final step I meant drop the saturation of the underlying layer, not opacity.

Aug 21 09 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Not This Guy

Aspen Cove, Guam, US

This worked like a charm. Saved me a ton of time and did a better job than any way I knew smile

Thanks again!

Aug 21 09 04:41 pm Link