Forums > Photography Talk > monolight vs powerpack strobes

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I use Alien Bees mainly because they're located close to me, so if I need anything I just drive over there and get it.  Whatever brand you choose, it is probably worthwhile to consider what is sold/rented close to you, in case you need something quickly.

I'll also throw in that if you don't mind the extra wires running around, you can get some of the convienence of a pack system with the AB lights by using their wired remote.  It's fairly cheap and it lets you control the output of 4 lights from one spot.  Handy.  It also controls the strobe firing, so it solves problems with a slave not picking up the flash, or other people setting off your lights.

May 26 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

May 26 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Fons Studio wrote:
I use monolights (several Bowens 250, 500, 750 and a Multiblitz Travel pack with 3X200w/s minis). The only inconvenient thing about them is that when you have them up on a boom or a tall stand, you got to bring them down in order to adjust the light output(or climb the ladder). The newer digital heads fix this problem by giving you a wireless (or wired) remote. The power pack does not put out more light , because if you look at joules/dollar, monoheads do better. And it already has been said when your powerpack overheats or dies the shoot stops, not so with monolights. And for the price compared to a 3 head powerpack, I bought an extra mono.

Sturdy stands are a must, as are proper weights.

Good luck.
C.

Hmmm...  True -pack systems generally cost more than monolight systems, however, packs are generally more powerful than monolights.

Also, you can shoot with more than one pack!  Many of the big guns will rent 20-40 packs at a time. Yes, the cost can add up.

Both systems have advantages (and disadvantages).

May 26 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:
Anyone?

Rent...

Rent...

Rent...

Not for a long period, but over the next set of shoots you do, rent each brand you are considering, each setup you are considering purchasing.  In fact if you do all your renting within 30 days of your purchase places like Calumet/Profoto/B+H will give you 50% of your rental cost towards your purchase price!

May 26 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Daniel_Bergeron

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm a commercial photo assistant, and I've worked with just about every system on the market. That said:

Buy used. You're dollar will go farther. Since you seem to do a lot of location work, where power may or may not be available, (and 7b's aren't within your budget)  then a few white lightnings with battery packs should do you just fine. If you can get them (used), pick up a medium roller for each and bring plenty of sand.

By all means, stay away from Calumet/Bowens. English electricians seem to be on par with their dentists. In my experience, calumet gear has been the most problematic of ANY brand I have worked with. They've made matters worse by making the headcords integral to the 3rd generation elite heads, so, when a headcord fails (VERY COMMON), the whole head is out for repair, rather than swapping a headcord.

If you are buff, by speedo. Heavy packs. Very reliable. Lots of power. Been going for cheap on ebay lately. Relatively slow recycle, which can be good if you don't have much "clean" power. Beware- they are not arc protected, so, If you pull a cord from a charged pack, it will knock you on your ass.  BTW-Speedo packs make the most impressive explosions on the rare occaisions that they do kick the bucket.

Dyna Lite=Awsome.

May 26 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Nello Ryan wrote:
Hmmm...  True -pack systems generally cost more than monolight systems, however, packs are generally more powerful than monolights.

Also, you can shoot with more than one pack!  Many of the big guns will rent 20-40 packs at a time. Yes, the cost can add up.

Both systems have advantages (and disadvantages).

Iagree that there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems, but in a straight comparison of Joules output per dollar a Mono will usually win.  where a powerpack makes sense is if you needed to pour 1500 ws or more into a single 48" Umbrellaor if you need to constantly adjust the output of the heads and they are located on booms..

20-40 packs ? did you mean 2-4 packs ? cus at an average of 2000ws apiece that's a lot of power for a fashion shoot. You could light a small castle with 40 packs.

Example:

Bowens QuadX Kit  (3000ws) with only 2 heads =  3300.00$
Bowens 2 additional heads for QuadX    =             1180.00$
   4 Head Powerpack Complete              TOTAL:   4480.00$

Bowens 750 Mono X 4  (3000ws)         =              2276.00$

It's interesting to note that a single QuadX head (no power) costs as much as a full 750 Monolight  (570.00$).

May 26 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

Mono, power packs....  they are both good tools and every tool have a time and place to be used.

May 26 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Daniel_Bergeron wrote:
By all means, stay away from Calumet/Bowens.

i have to agree.  "budget" equipment is so priced for a reason.  i had a bowens monolight a couple of years ago, and the back caved in due to a *minor* bump.

haven't used dynalights, but they are so damn cute.  plus, there is rental equipment available in the city (you can really only rent profoto, dynalite, and some limited speedo stuff around here, in addition to lumedyne and other portables).

May 26 06 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Dominic Escalante

San Diego, California, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
brands are tricky.  there are lots of them with many strengths and weaknesses.  off the top of my head - profoto, elinchrom, hensel, speedotron.  since you're in ny, consider whether or not you're going to be renting alot of accessories.  if yes, look at profoto.  they're everywhere.  their modifiers are interchangeable between monolights and pack systems.

yes but, the profoto modifiers arent interchangeable with the 7b heads

May 26 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Daniel_Bergeron wrote:
f you are buff, by speedo. Heavy packs. Very reliable. Lots of power. Been going for cheap on ebay lately. Relatively slow recycle, which can be good if you don't have much "clean" power. Beware- they are not arc protected, so, If you pull a cord from a charged pack, it will knock you on your ass.

This is and isn't true. smile

The smaller Speedo packs (805/1205) are comparable to most other packs in that range. Heavier than most, but not by as much as they're often made out to be:

6.7 lbs Dyna-Lite M1000er (1000)
7.7 lbs Speedo 805 (800)
9.0 lbs  Profoto Acute2 1200R  (1200)
11 lbs Broncolor Nano2 (1200)
13 lbs Norman D12  (1200)
15 lbs Speedo 1205cx  (1200)
17 lbs Broncolor Verso (1200)
20 lbs Profoto Pro-7a 1200 (1200)

At the higher powers, comparing a 2000 watt-second Dyna-Lite M2000 pack (13 lbs M2000) to the 2400 watt-second Speedotron 2405cx (23 lbs), it's less of a context. (But Profoto's 7a and D4 are 25/27 lbs each for 2400 wattseconds.)

OTOH, I've never needed to lug a 4803 pack outside--at 42lbs, that IS a pain.

As for arc protection, I've seen Calumet, Dyna-lite, Speedotron, Ascor, Novatron, and Norman packs arc, even on 'arc protected' sockets. The newer ones are better (including Speedotron), but on unusually humid or dry days....

May 26 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Dominic Escalante wrote:

yes but, the profoto modifiers arent interchangeable with the 7b heads

not so (thankfully, as i will probably rent that system on occasion).  from the profoto site:

"The Pro-7b model convection cooled modular head is more compact and economical head designed specifically for the Pro-7b battery powered generator. It accepts all Profoto light shaping tools."

May 26 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

wow
this is the best posting ever
I got a lot more feedback and I'm sure others have learned from this
I'm going w/ monolights but will rent them first to test it out
thanks a million all

May 26 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

wow
thanks a million all

May 26 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:
wow
thanks a million all

just curious....out of all the discussion on this thread, how did you decide on monolights?

May 26 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Fons Studio wrote:
Iagree that there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems, but in a straight comparison of Joules output per dollar a Mono will usually win.  where a powerpack makes sense is if you needed to pour 1500 ws or more into a single 48" Umbrellaor if you need to constantly adjust the output of the heads and they are located on booms..

20-40 packs ? did you mean 2-4 packs ? cus at an average of 2000ws apiece that's a lot of power for a fashion shoot. You could light a small castle with 40 packs.

Example:

Bowens QuadX Kit  (3000ws) with only 2 heads =  3300.00$
Bowens 2 additional heads for QuadX    =             1180.00$
   4 Head Powerpack Complete              TOTAL:   4480.00$

Bowens 750 Mono X 4  (3000ws)         =              2276.00$

It's interesting to note that a single QuadX head (no power) costs as much as a full 750 Monolight  (570.00$).

You said  "The power pack does not put out more light..."  I disagree with that statement.  But then you followed ."..because if you look at joules/dollar, monoheads do better."   OK, well that's a statement about "cost efficiency" (as opposed just to light output).   I didn't check your math, but I agree that  packs are generally more expensive.  So we might more or less agree.

And yes.  I did say 20-40 packs.  Off the top of my head, there was a guy in the March 2006 of American Photo who did a shoot using 16 profoto 2400 7B packs.  16 is short of 20, but I'm trying to give a reference that you can look up for yourself.  So that's 16 packs and then multiply that times 2400 watt seconds. That's a hell of a lot of juice.  (And that's why profoto D4 packs are built so that you can individually control over 100 of them off a single laptop.  Some people use a LOT of packs...  of course, it all boils down to your own needs.)

In an ideal world, your kit would have both.  (have a screwdriver and a hammer...)  But your wallet generally pulls you in one direction once you get going.  Once you buy a pack, you want a "back up" pack, and then you want an extra head...  and so on.  Once you buy a mono, you don't feel like dumping your dough into a pack when its cheaper/easier to just add another mono.

Then you hop on the forum, and defend your judgement making skills...  and here we are.

May 26 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

I choose the monolights due to cost

May 26 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Well, I am glad to see this isn't a Canon -vs- Nikon debate.  Everybody has something else to be passionate about.

May 26 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I've used packs and monolights over the years, but I like the simplicity of monolights. I have 3 Elinchroms that have done yeoman's service for me for almost 10 years.
Ironically, when I travel, I often shoot with 2 Vivitar 285's on stands with umbrellas, and they have gone above and beyond for me.
The reality is that your flashes do not make you a good photographer, they just make you more consistant.

May 26 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

John Landers

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
As for arc protection, I've seen Calumet, Dyna-lite, Speedotron, Ascor, Novatron, and Norman packs arc, even on 'arc protected' sockets. The newer ones are better (including Speedotron), but on unusually humid or dry days....

Which is another reason why I chose monolights for my own use.  When I assist, it's whatever pack system the photographer wants, but on my own time, it's all about the Alien Bees.

May 26 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

Any final thoughts? suggestions?

May 29 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:
Any final thoughts? suggestions?

rent.  it's been said. 

pay attention to color temp.  the alien bee fanatics fail to point out that the color of your light is significantly different when the power setting is changed with those lights.  not so with higher-end name-brand equipment.  do not cheap out on lighting.

May 29 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

No final thoughts/suggestions.  It seems you're making a well informed choice.  BTW, you can rent pretty much anything Calumet sells from them, while some other shops limit you to the more popular equipment.

May 29 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

Good stuff people
I wouls still like to see some examples w/ the type of lighting used
Also any good books out there

May 30 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

Is dyna lite a durable brand?

Jun 11 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jun 11 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Momo lights all the way...

Mike

Jun 11 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

I agree with what was said through out.  Both are useful.  If you feel you will be doing a lot of location, not near an outlet, shoots, Mono-lights will be most useful seeing you can get the porta-batteries for them versus pulling out a generator.

Other advantages are felxability.  They don't get jealous if you use two different brands of mono-loghts were what happens in you have all Novatron packs and one day Calumet makes a head that you REALLY want but the cords are not compatible?  Monolights generally come with built in trip slaves that fire when they detect another strobe fire.

But the disavantage is like said.... a bit heavy and if you need to light up a large area with a lot of light......well..... might be better to have a pack and head system then.

Jun 11 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Berman Fenelus

Brooklyn, New York, US

good input
I may get a small powerpack and a set of monolights
is dynalite durable for packs

Jun 11 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:
is dynalite durable for packs

Yes. Their heads are pretty good, too. Nice light.

Jun 11 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:
I'm looking to purchase strobes but unsure of which are realiable, flexible and could suit the my range of photography( fashion, portrait, outdoor)
Any feedback would be great

Oh god... here we go again..... "Alien Bees... blah-blah-blah.... DynaLites.... Hensel Porty Pak...... Lumedyne...... "...

Do a search on the multitudes of time this has already been answered ad nauseum.

Jun 12 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:

yes they are very durable. i've used them and i've used visatecs, normans, speedotrons and many many more small and large powerpacks.

isatec is ran on a battery system type of pwer pack that u chare up and can use without a plug.

i use travelites monolites for location because it's easier to setup and less plugs vs limits to having to work everything plugged into a powerpack.

Jun 12 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Nello Ryan wrote:

You said  "The power pack does not put out more light..."  I disagree with that statement.  But then you followed ."..because if you look at joules/dollar, monoheads do better."   OK, well that's a statement about "cost efficiency" (as opposed just to light output).   I didn't check your math, but I agree that  packs are generally more expensive.  So we might more or less agree.

And yes.  I did say 20-40 packs.  Off the top of my head, there was a guy in the March 2006 of American Photo who did a shoot using 16 profoto 2400 7B packs.  16 is short of 20, but I'm trying to give a reference that you can look up for yourself.  So that's 16 packs and then multiply that times 2400 watt seconds. That's a hell of a lot of juice.  (And that's why profoto D4 packs are built so that you can individually control over 100 of them off a single laptop.  Some people use a LOT of packs...  of course, it all boils down to your own needs.)

In an ideal world, your kit would have both.  (have a screwdriver and a hammer...)  But your wallet generally pulls you in one direction once you get going.  Once you buy a pack, you want a "back up" pack, and then you want an extra head...  and so on.  Once you buy a mono, you don't feel like dumping your dough into a pack when its cheaper/easier to just add another mono.

Then you hop on the forum, and defend your judgement making skills...  and here we are.

Jun 12 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:

Dyna-Lite packs (Wi1000s - 2 of them) have stood up to my abuse. Which includes but is not limited to short drops, supporting weights, stands falling on top of them, etc. I haven't dropped a head yet so I don't know how strong the assembly is, but it's all metal so I assume it won't break easily.

The only thing I have ever “brokenâ€? on them is the 1/3 stop selector dial which I popped off by accident. I took it in for repairs (with 15-20 minutes of my home) and they told me that a small screw (attaches knob to pack) wasn’t tightened properly. lol
Easy Fix.

Their 1100Ws PS Inverter is also tough (and pretty light although the lead acid battery is quite heavy for its size).

Jun 12 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Zero Grain

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I started with the Alien Bee's, had 2 800s. They were good, but the picture never really "popped", I could never get the 3D feel. I had a shoot that required more lights, rented the Dyna-lite M1000er with 2 2040 heads. I notice a huge difference in picture quality. A week later I purchased the M1000Wi and two 2040. I have not touched the Alien Bee's since.
My set up now consists of M2000er, M1000Wi, 2 2040, 2 4040, and XP1100 (battery pack with a spare battery). I can't recommend the Dyan-lite enough. They are very portable, extremely durable. Considering most of my shoots are on location, I have no problems. I won't be going to back to monolights, especially Alien Bee's.

Nov 15 07 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Berman

Brooklyn, New York, US

I have Hensel and White-Lighting. I've previously advocated White-Lighting because of its extreme range, 7 f-stops (8 in Profoto measurements), but nowadays I realized i almost never need that range, and that I like the light from my Hensel monoblocks a LOT. Also on the upside, the hensel monoblock kits on B&H are quite cheap. The monos themselves have great light and nice digital control, as well as a pleasant look and feel.  The only thing that holds me back from a really firm recommendation is that the modifier mount, while sturdy, does not have enough options in my mind. When I look at profoto and I see that I can modify just about any other thing i want to use the profoto mount, I get excited! For this reason, I will probably sell both my WL X1600 and my Hensel Integras, and replace with a combo of Profoto Acute 1200s and Compacts. For long term options, that system just makes more sense to me anyway.

Nov 15 07 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I'm sorry, but if you still need advice about what kind of lights to buy, how on earth did you build that portfolio? You got great shots in there, with some fine lighting. Seeing that, I'd assume that you got lighting down pat.

Nov 15 07 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mal at Hidden Creek

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

Berman Fenelus wrote:
wow
thanks a million all

Now that you've made your decision for monolights - do not low ball your light stands.  Monolights require solid, sturdy stands (preferably air-cushioned). I use both pack/head system and Photogenic monolights. My pack heads weight in about 1lb and the monolights about 7 pounds bare without softboxes or umbrellas. If at all possible go with the heaviest, sturdiest stands you can find. I prefer Manfrotto or Avenger C-stands for monolights.

Nov 15 07 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

GG-Deluxe

Im glad that this post has made its way back.

Because honestly, the Pack and Head fanboys are worse than the Mac fanboys sometimes.

Flash technology has really improved in the last 30 years and for several reasons, I am finding monolights the way to go more and more, and carrying packs especially when on location is not worth it.

On a location shoot, you can take 3 monolights, and if 2 fail you still have 1.

Take 1 pack and it fails well... you have to always take 2, so that is a much heavier option.

The other great thing about monolights is that you can use them either on AC or with an AC sine wave generator such as the Honda EU1000/2000, or a non proprietary battery pack such as that offered by Buff, Innovatronix or Dynalite.

Overall, I would say that the Elinchroms, Broncolors, Profotos and Hensels are all good, but they all weight more than the Buff lights, especially the Hensels. They are also expensive and you will be simply grafted by these Euro manufacturers for reflectors, tubes, lamps, speedrings and just about everything else. The Speedotron Force 5 and Force 10 lights would be the way to go in my view if you wanted support in the USA.

If Dave Hill and others can use Buff's lighting to make great photos, then I think the debate about whether they are pro lights is well and truly over. Its what you do with them. I like them because they are AC, and damn light and compact, come with reflectors, and have inexpensive parts like the flashtube. They also use Balcar modifiers which are simply some of the best ever made (the Whacky French sure know what they are doing there).

In a Lightware RMF1629 checked luggage size case, I can fit and check 10 Alien Bees 640 Ws strobes and modifiers. Try doing that with Hensels.

Nov 15 07 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

GG-Deluxe

Mal at Hidden Creek wrote:

Now that you've made your decision for monolights - do not low ball your light stands.  Monolights require solid, sturdy stands (preferably air-cushioned). I use both pack/head system and Photogenic monolights. My pack heads weight in about 1lb and the monolights about 7 pounds bare without softboxes or umbrellas. If at all possible go with the heaviest, sturdiest stands you can find. I prefer Manfrotto or Avenger C-stands for monolights.

I would agree with that. I prefer the Manfrotto/Bogen Stackers. Get the 13' ones, as they are sturdier. My 640 Ws Buff lights probably weigh in at about

Nov 15 07 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

GG-Deluxe wrote:
Im glad that this post has made its way back.

Because honestly, the Pack and Head fanboys are worse than the Mac fanboys sometimes.

The same is true of monolight "fanboys". smile

GG-Deluxe wrote:
The other great thing about monolights is that you can use them either on AC or with an AC sine wave generator such as the Honda EU1000/2000, or a non proprietary battery pack such as that offered by Buff, Innovatronix or Dynalite.

As can most pack systems in the same power ranges.

I've found that a mix of pack and monolights works better for me than either all monolight or all pack/head systems. OTOH, I don't insist others do things my way, as so many "fanboys" on both sides can do. Someone whose needs are lower powered, or never/rarely boom a powerful light may find that all monolights works better; some others may find an all pack system to be more effective.

Nov 15 07 07:24 pm Link