Forums > Photography Talk > monolight vs powerpack strobes

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Paramour Productions wrote:
Here's what I did, I researched the various systems and picked one that I wanted to build out and grow with that was comfortable for my budget and could deliver what I wanted (I went with Hensel).  Once I selected the brand, I then bought a set of three monolights.  I like packs and am planning my next purchases which will be packs (one portable).  My thinking was that no matter what you (I) are going to do, you (I) should have a least a few monolights - they're just handy to have.  So I purchased those first as I could build up that bit of kit over time for less $$$.  Having these three lights allows me to then save and get the pack system I want to complement them.

I don't know if that was the best way to do it, but that's what I did.

We agree on something. I was just talking to a friend who is also a member on here. He wanted my advice on the Calumet heads that are damn good monolights and I told him to get them. He did. But like me, he too wants a Profoto power pack system. The one with the build in battery. I use them at school for location until I am able to purchase the battery unit via location for my Travelites. Anyways, I'll add the Profoto too because they are good lights and I can use some of the accessories between them both.

Nov 15 07 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Craig Thomson wrote:
Pack with 3 heads
Or
Three moonlights

Pack dies = no shoot

One moonlight dies = keep shooting

Note: you can shoot with one monolight

I normally use one light when I shoot because I primarily shoot during the day time. All in all I agree.

Nov 15 07 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

former_mm_user wrote:
go to calumet or alkit or wherever and rent one of each.

Good advice, I sometimes forget about Calumet's renting program. There are plenty of places in the San Francisco bay area that offer this luxury. I've rented from one in Berkeley for my shoot. The one with the model at the pool table was first location shoot.

Nov 15 07 07:32 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

James Jackson wrote:
I'm a fan of Packs for two reasons:

Primarily because they are always even (unless you specifically change the levels to one bank or another).  If you light a backdrop off one bank and have your main and keylights off another bank, you are guaranteed that there won't be any differences exposure to exposure between the levels of the different lights...whatever you set originally will always be that way, the recharge is happening for all the heads at the same time.

Secondly because it's what I "grew up" using.  I learned the business by assisting, and learned on Profoto packs...  I have used monolights for my own work, but I was never as satisfied as with the work I've done with packs.

Here, here. My first try at lights were using the Norman packs and I still love that pack. But after using the Profoto from the school during the weekends, it kind of grows on you. That built in battery is sweet. But I love my Calumets Travelites and will buy a battery unit for them.

Nov 15 07 07:35 pm Link