Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Finger Nails bothering me

Photographer

Kym Trice

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I have been trying to add some type of red polish to her nails and its driving nuts. Need some advice on how to add fingernail polish or something that is similar it? Any other pointers are welcome as well. Thanks!

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v327/kflow/IMG_1987.jpg

Sep 04 09 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

S de Varax

London, England, United Kingdom

I've fixed jagged nails/nail paint by cloning.
maybe use a brush on low opacity with colour of choice and paint over them?

Sep 04 09 09:35 pm Link

Model

Lea Halliwell

Lexington, Kentucky, US

S de Varax wrote:
I've fixed jagged nails/nail paint by cloning.
maybe use a brush on low opacity with colour of choice and paint over them?

(I use quick mask - you can use regular mask if you want) & make a copy of each nail on a separate layer, color them red with a large, low opacity brush then apply the plastic wrap filter.  Adjust the settings to look more realistic.  Maybe do some dodging & burning to make it look 3-D.
*EDIT*  I can post an example.
*EDIT 2* Never mind.  PS is being a POS.

Sep 04 09 10:51 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

I just paint the color on a new layer (if it's very hi-res, I'll use the pen tool to create the nails, if not, I don't bother), then add the gloss with white on new layers.

There's bound to be PS tutorials out there if you expand your search to just generally glossy things.

Stuff like this  - which is a lot like painting - really demands that you pre-visualize. If I don't know what I want to see, I can really spin my wheels. Once I look at some reference images (google shiny nails), it all falls together.

https://ezpkns.com/look/mm/nails.jpg

These (above) were painted (with the paint brush) over stubby unpolished nails. The photographer didn't ask me to, I just couldn't stand looking at them anymore while I retouched the rest of the picture! Use layers, blur some, sharpen some, but know what you want it to look like before you start.

Sep 05 09 02:07 am Link