Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > How do I direct retouching?

Model

hannahlin

Los Angeles, California, US

So, being a brainless model, I have never had to direct someone in terms of retouching photos. I have several photos now that I need retouched and I know I don't like it when photo's look over-retouched... but I don't know how to express/direct what I want. Any suggestions? What should I ask for? The three photo's specifically needing attention are....
https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090907/03/4aa4e27e35ac6_m.jpg
https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090907/03/4aa4e2a3b4894_m.jpg
https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090719/03/4a62f17e80852_m.jpg

THANKS!!

Sep 07 09 03:43 am Link

Model

hannahlin

No suggestions??

Sep 07 09 03:49 am Link

Digital Artist

Michael C Pearson

Agoura Hills, California, US

You only waited five minutes...

Anyways, ask for texture preservation and a natural look. Find pictures of retouching you like and retouching you don't like, sending both examples to the retoucher. Generally lower prices mean more obvious retouching.

Sep 07 09 03:53 am Link

Retoucher

Skapanorn Retouches

Viborg, Midtjylland, Denmark

Tell the retoucher what you need. If you want only light retouching, tell him/her that. Don't be shy about telling exactly what you're looking for.

But what is over-retouched to you? It differs from person to person, and maybe you should hire a retoucher that you feel works by your standards.

Sep 07 09 03:53 am Link

Photographer

TooWild

CANADA, Kentucky, US

Skapanorn Retouches wrote:
Tell the retoucher what you need. If you want only light retouching, tell him/her that. Don't be shy about telling exactly what you're looking for.

But what is over-retouched to you? It differs from person to person, and maybe you should hire a retoucher that you feel works by your standards.

Do you even have permission from the photographer. Some photographers do not like their work being altered. There is no credit to the photographer for these images which I find odd also.

Sep 07 09 03:57 am Link

Retoucher

Skapanorn Retouches

Viborg, Midtjylland, Denmark

Shelby Wylde wrote:

Do you even have permission from the photographer. Some photographers do not like their work being altered. There is no credit to the photographer for these images which I find odd also.

Maybe the photographer isn't on MM? Why does always someone have to assume the worst in these threads? This isn't what this thread is about.

Sep 07 09 03:59 am Link

Model

hannahlin

Shelby-
yeah, i'm assuming he'd want his work retouched... i don't think it would make him look too awesome if i start going all over town w/ port sized images unretouched.
also, he doesn't own the images-- they were taken for a lookbook and the designer hired us both and owns the rights to the images. she told me to use what i wanted cuz i worked for trade (and a few outfits...smile ).

Sep 07 09 04:01 am Link

Model

hannahlin

thank you-- good advice. smile
how similar does the image i show him/her as an example have to look to the image i want retouched in order for the example to be helpful?

Sep 07 09 04:04 am Link

Model

hannahlin

mikedimples wrote:
You only waited five minutes...

Anyways, ask for texture preservation and a natural look. Find pictures of retouching you like and retouching you don't like, sending both examples to the retoucher. Generally lower prices mean more obvious retouching.

thanks, i'll make sure not to go too cheap then...

Sep 07 09 04:08 am Link

Retoucher

Natalia_Taffarel

Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Maybe the photographer isn't on MM? Why does always someone have to assume the worst in these threads? This isn't what this thread is about.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the Photographer being on MM or not - if u post someone else's work u credit the owner of the copyright PERIOD

And even tho the "permission" is not what this thread is about - It's never wrong to remind someone what's the LEGAL way to go about things.

About the original OP question - I suggest u to look for a retoucher with samples u like and link the person to a retouch in their folio so u can have exactly what u want.

Tones and lighting have nothing to do with texture and amount of retouch - don't say u want little retouch done, u want natural and texturated not little.

have fun with it and make sure u have permission from the photographer.

x

Sep 07 09 06:15 am Link

Retoucher

Peano

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

hannahlin wrote:
So, being a brainless model, I have never had to direct someone in terms of retouching photos. I have several photos now that I need retouched and I know I don't like it when photo's look over-retouched... but I don't know how to express/direct what I want. Any suggestions?

I think "Don't make them look over-retouched" expresses it pretty well. Given that instruction, I would make it my business to go in like a thief in the night, so you'd never know I had been there if you didn't have the original for comparison.

And I wouldn't take the legal warnings too seriously if I were you. This forum is overpopulated with lawyers who never saw the inside of a law school. Just fix your pictures.

Sep 07 09 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

ask for the good shit.  then lower your head slightly and raise your eyebrows while inquiring, "you know, the good shit?"

Sep 07 09 07:01 am Link

Retoucher

A N G I E

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Look for a retoucher you like and ask for a natural looking retouch

Sep 07 09 08:49 am Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Brian Ziff wrote:
ask for the good shit.  then lower your head slightly and raise your eyebrows while inquiring, "you know, the good shit?"

From my private retouching stash? Are you kidding me? Oh, the Ziffman sent you? Why didn't you say so in the first place?

There's a couple of ideas floating around in this thread that are just begging to be merged... look for examples of the retouching you like, and look for a retoucher you like. Just look for images that looks like what your after, and message that guy/gal; even if it's a photographer portfolio, if they're good retouchers, they often do it on the side, or maybe they'll point you to whoever's been secretly retouching for them...

Sep 07 09 09:59 am Link

Retoucher

Virtuoso Skins

Asheville, North Carolina, US

A N G I E wrote:
Look for a retoucher you like and ask for a natural looking retouch

+1

Make sure your clear you dont want it to look processed.

Sep 07 09 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Dreamscape Creative

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Basically tell your retoucher that you're looking to preserve a natural look while maintaining realistic texture.  A good retouch is even more "believable" than the original photo, and if it isn't believable, it needs to at least be an awesome example of retouching skills in some obvious way that communicates it's intended to look retouched (Jaime Ibarra, for instance).

Your photo here, for example:

https://modelmayhm-9.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/090907/03/4aa4e2a3b4894_m.jpg

You might tell your retoucher you want your face to be more visible, you'd like to see if he/she can rescue the blown out areas of the door (looks like it was blown out and the exposure was lowered).  You might also tell them you want to push the saturation on your dress, etc.

As someone also suggested, along with your instructions you might ask him/her to draw inspiration from other photos and point out the qualities you like about them.

Do also have a little patience with your retoucher.  If he/she doesn't quite understand what you're trying to achieve at first, give him/her a chance to make some adjustments with your clarification.  They'll get better at matching what you're going for the more you work with them.

By the way, forgive the shameless self-promotion, but I am available to retouch.  As a matter of fact, I just got done with one awhile back that you can see in this thread (3rd page): https://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thre … st10898292

Sep 07 09 03:34 pm Link