Forums > Photography Talk > Using Flash at the Weddings

Photographer

Hawaiian Girls

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Most of the time, I've been using natural light.  I don't use flash unless its necessary.  When shooting models and I need to use my flash, I have time to think what power I should use, f-stop, shutter speed....etc.
My question is....
In wedding photography, I know there's alot of actions going on and don't have much time to think what power to use in manual mode flash, what is the best way to use or do to get accurate flash?  Someone told me to use +/- on the camera to be accurate, but sometimes that still not 100%.  What do you do or use with your flash on weddings?
By the way, I have a Canon 550ex.

May 27 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Aitken

Seattle, Washington, US

Natural light is fine, although I would guess that in Hawaii you are often working in pretty harsh sunlight. Fill flash would likely help even out harsh shadows.

You mention you have a EX 550 flash, but don't say what camera you are using.

In general, most current Canon SLRs have very good accuracy with ETTL exposure using the 550 or 580 flash. Weddings move too fast to try to use the flash manually. Just let go of the notion that you know what is best for flash, and admit that the electronics in current cameras/flashes are smarter than we mere humans are. If you simply use the camera the way you normally do, and dial in -1 stop flash exposure compensation, you'll get accurate fill flash 90% of the time without having to think about it at all. If you know you have a challenging metering issue (like brides in white dresses in the sun), then adjust accordingly.

If you are shooting digital, watch for overexposed highlights (fill flash actually helps in this regard, since it actually evens out the lighting and reduces the chance of blown highlights). If you are shooting film, you don't have to worry about it as much. Print film has a lot more latitude for blown highlights.

May 28 06 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

BreathlessPhoto wrote:
What do you do or use with your flash on weddings?

1. Use a diffuser. I love my Lightsphere PJ. Diffusing won't help with true overexposure, but it will drastically counteract the local effects of flash on skin texture, etc.

2. I don't trust TTL, ETTL, etc. I set the flash manually. For weddings, if I'm not shooting manually I often choose shutter priority over aperture priority, then I use a combination of flash and ISO to get the right balance of DoF-to-noise.

3. Shoot RAW of course and you'll have a stop either direction to play with if needed.

And, of course, get permission before using a flash in a church. Some churches also have rules about what tables you can't set things down on, what you shouldn't stand on, etc. Other churches are happy to provide a chandelier if you want to swing from it for just the right shot.

May 28 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Scott Aitken wrote:
In general, most current Canon SLRs have very good accuracy with ETTL exposure using the 550 or 580 flash. Weddings move too fast to try to use the flash manually.

I should note here that Scott's probably right about the Canon flashes, I went with a non-Canon flash (Promaster) that is plenty powerful but has never given me good ETTL response. YMMV.

Also, when I set the flash manually, I usually *leave* it on that setting and use shutter speed as my adjusting factor until I can't compensate for a shot (i.e., outside of my hand-held comfy zone of 1/30-1/200), then I adjust the flash again.

Weddings do go BLAZINGLY FAST, and keeping track of settings is even more complicated if you use both your primary and backup cameras at the same time with lenses that cover different focal lengths.

May 28 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Hawaiian Girls

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Thank you for the advices.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that my cameras are Canon 10D and 1Ds.  I havent shoot RAW much because I don't have enough cards.
When I use the +/- on my camera, I usually adjust it one stop lower.  However, I find it hard to do that on my 1Ds because the pictures appears really dark than my 10D if I put it one stop lower.
I guess my really concern is, can you get a 100% right flash exposure all the time without guessing what the shutter speed or aperature should be?  Or any photographer will have to guess first at first til they get the right flash exposure?

May 28 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

JBPhoto

Belleville, Michigan, US

Never had any luck with the Canon flashes.  I use single-pin auto flashes off camera.  Set the aperature 1 stop smaller then the flash guide indicates, shutter speed is 1/15-1/30th to balance the background.  Works great.

May 28 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Smash Photo Studio

Long Beach, California, US

I have read a few of the wedding threads here and have been getting lots of great professional information, then I came across this last paragraph below.

BreathlessPhoto wrote:
And, of course, get permission before using a flash in a church. Some churches also have rules about what tables you can't set things down on, what you shouldn't stand on, etc. Other churches are happy to provide a chandelier if you want to swing from it for just the right shot.

I laughed at the last sentance, thanks that was great break.

May 28 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Splendid_Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BreathlessPhoto wrote:
I guess my really concern is, can you get a 100% right flash exposure all the time without guessing what the shutter speed or aperature should be?  Or any photographer will have to guess first at first til they get the right flash exposure?

I was told long ago no matter what the camera/flash does there is only one correct exposure for each situation. When you figure out how to keep up with a wedding especially outside let me know. The one thing I know is I hate dark grooms in white tuxes!

May 28 06 11:16 am Link