Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Irvington, New Jersey, US

I have seen is alot since I became even more serious about photography...for the people who use it, I wanna know is it really worth $249-$300??? Before I go out and buy one and stuff...also I have yet to get a TTL flash...

May 28 06 02:52 am Link

Photographer

FotoGuyTX

Houston, Texas, US

I just bought mine. I like it so far, but the options seem endless. I'm not sure its so much better than the rest. It's got some cool features though.

May 28 06 03:08 am Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

How much was yours? and do you think it was worth it?

May 28 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I'm using a pair and think they're awesome. They take a little getting used to in order to get your ratios where you want them, but for quick and portable setups they can't be beat. :-)

May 28 06 03:22 am Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Second Glance wrote:
I'm using a pair and think they're awesome. They take a little getting used to in order to get your ratios where you want them, but for quick and portable setups they can't be beat. :-)

Do you use manual or TTL settings?

May 28 06 03:28 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Worth it, I have one and use sometimes and aways work very well...

May 28 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Well this is going great so far...I guess instead of buying my Mamiya I can buy the flash smile

May 28 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Adam Chilson

Hesperia, California, US

SB-600 should get you by, unless you do a LOT of on-camera-flash style photography. SB-800 has more power and a little more versatility, but basically the same as the 600.

May 28 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Miguel Angel Paredes

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rookie here... but from all of the reading and research that I did, the sb600 is better and less expensive.  It only has the bells and whistles that you need without the ones that you don't.

The best way to think about is like a friend told me, you can buy a Chevy Avalance for 30k... or you can buy the Cadillac Escalade for 70k... same thing.. both made by GM

May 28 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Adam Chilson wrote:
SB-600 should get you by, unless you do a LOT of on-camera-flash style photography. SB-800 has more power and a little more versatility, but basically the same as the 600.

I am very tough on my equip...something is always being dpressed or clicking, etc...and I always keep my flash on incase i need it and use it when i do. I need something that can help my images get even better then they are. and something more poerful than my current "favorite flash" from Sakar is what i took most of my flash pix with. Til I got my Vivitar Zoom Thryistor 265 now I use that.

May 28 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

The SB-800 is worth it if you can use it. The biggest difference is that it can function as a commander (controls 3 groups, full CLS functionality). The SB-600 can only function as a slave, and the only ways other than the SB-800 to trigger it wirelessly are the D70 (1 group, very limited) and the D200 and SU-800 (both control 2 groups, and SU-800 lets you do ratios). If you plan on using your flashes wirelessly then strongly consider how much control you want/need.

If you're not planning on using your flashes wirelessly, then just get the SB-600 because it's cheaper.

May 28 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

i use two 800s off camera on stands when I dont feel like lugging my dynas or bees, and usually in M settings - for me, the extra power is what i like.I sure would like that wireless speedlight commander, but its always out of stock. eh, thats what pocket wizards are for

the 600s should be fine for you if you dont need the extra power or speed. why dont you buy one of each, and return the one you dont need...or just test both of them in your local shop.

(we DO still support our local shops now, dont we?)

May 28 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

It's a matter of how you use it.

All side-lit shots in my port where partly done with a bounced SB-800.

Maxim

May 28 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

Mr Anthony

Vancouver, Washington, US

Yes, it's worth it.  For one thing, the SB-800 comes with a 5th battery option for shorter recycling times.  It comes with a nice base stand for off-camera wireless flash too, as well as a set of filters for non-daylight flashing.  Unlike the SB-600, the SB-800 will also act as a commander flash, and that's a big, big deal for creative lighting.  The SB-600 is good if you're on a budget and just need a basic flash with i-TTL, auto aperture, and manual.  But if you want to get the most from your i-TTL capable camera, the SB-800 is the way to go.

Mr. Anthony

May 28 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

For a lot of reasons, you should have an SB600 or SB800 flash: how much will the difference in cost have meant to you two years from now?  It may cost a little more to put together a camera bag than, say, a guitar, an amp, a mic, and assorted "toys", but, different art, same gig when you're talking about getting on to and off the floor.

May 28 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Splendid_Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I started with 1 SB-800 and 1 SB-600 now I have 3 SB-800's. If you can afford it start with the 800 and add a 600 if you need . The 600 will not work as a "master" in the creative lighting system. I guess you can find an import for $280 and a USA around $325. Either way you cant go wrong.

May 28 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

I've had one for a while now and it is worth it.  The SB600 came out shortly after I purchased my SB800 and I must admit I would of been tempted to buy that flash but I'm glad I bought the SB800 because it can be used as a command unit for other flash in the SB series.  I am going to add a SB600 in the near future to act as a slave.

Three things you might want to consider is a flash bracket and patch TTL patch cord for the SB800 when you get it and a after market diffuser, I find they round out the versatility of the unit.

Since you are asking others, I use the SB800 mostly in auto setting, usually adjusting the EV setting on it to my liking after taking a few test shots.  I do use it on manual under certain lighting conditions, but not as much as auto.

Besides my camera, prime lens, reflector and tripod, I never go on a shoot without the SB800 and bracket, even if just to use as a fill flash.

May 28 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

AntoineM732 wrote:

Do you use manual or TTL settings?

TTL. Manual may be more accurate, but time consuming -- and limits the model's movements more.

May 28 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Dont waste your money on the 600.......... get the 800 and you'll be glad you did.
the ttl is automatic and you should love it as well.

May 28 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Miguel Angel Paredes wrote:
Rookie here... but from all of the reading and research that I did, the sb600 is better and less expensive.  It only has the bells and whistles that you need without the ones that you don't.

The best way to think about is like a friend told me, you can buy a Chevy Avalance for 30k... or you can buy the Cadillac Escalade for 70k... same thing.. both made by GM

Not true at all.  It has more features and more power.  It's not the same as an SB-600.  You're also the first person I have heard from that says the SB-600 is better than the SB-800.  In the www.dpreview.com forums, all I ever see are people saying that if you can afford it, get the SB-800.

I have two of them myself.

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/52640372.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/52015045.jpg
https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/60885803.jpg

May 28 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

I wanted the most power battery powered flash out there. The Lumidyne at 800ws was the most powerful but too many pieces and parts. The obvious choice was Quantum but about a grand when all was said and done.

I was in Michigan and by chance stumbled on to a Nikon seminar at Adrays camera shop last week. They featured the SB-800 (and also the SU-800 the non flash infarad Master module).

I almost picked up a pair of Promaster 7000 used for 125 on Ebay but this model doesn't have a slave connector. Yes, I could easily have added a hot shoe/PC adaptor with my current hot shoe/umbrella mount the extra adaptor would point the flash even higher and less towards the center of my umbrella.

I looked at the Metz. Nice but again no PC sync input for my RF trigger.

So back to SB-800's, It was between the 800 and what ever cannon's top unit is. I wasn't (at the time) worried at all of the manufacture I would be using it primarily in manual mode, off camera, into and umbrella triggered by the RF.

They didn't have the Cannon in stock or I might have picked it up because it has a 5 or 10% higher guide number. (The Cannon is considerably bulkier)
I got the SB-800 asking for the largest discount he could give me without getting into trouble. The list was $399, I have seen it online for $319, but I was willing to pay $349 because I still like to support my local camera shop with at least half of my purchases.

When I got it home I was blown away at how it worked wirelessly (using flash pulses and inrafed not RF). I must have taken 300 test shots trying to fake it out in every way possible. In all but the 4 or 5 extreme fake outs, the light was mostly very good with many goods and more than I would have even thought or fantastically lit shots.

I bounced it off the ceiling, shot it through the umbrella, into the umbrella, and so on. I will say that I totally dislike the look of my on camera on my subject. But only in a few extreme situations did the on camera flash ever contribute to the light on the subject. I was beyond impressed.

I shoot with a D70. I used my new SB-800 for the very first time for a model sunrise beach shoot Friday morning. It was this close to flawless.

Here is something to keep in mind. If the SB-800 sensor is blocked it won't work very well. I also learned that if the sensor is pointing directly at the sun it won't get the cameras communication information either. This was easily remedied by placing the SB-800 on the other side of me.

This is more information than some might need but I always make it a point to make very well informed decisions. I hope my insight can be of help.

jaysonpolansky.com

May 28 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Digital Basement Studio wrote:
Here is something to keep in mind. If the SB-800 sensor is blocked it won't work very well. I also learned that if the sensor is pointing directly at the sun it won't get the cameras communication information either. This was easily remedied by placing the SB-800 on the other side of me.

You don't have to change your lighting position.  Rotate the head until you have the sensor facing the direction you need it to get a good shot off. smile

May 28 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Splendid_Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Miguel Angel Paredes wrote:

The sb-600 is a good flash but no where near better. If you plan to use only one flash as a fill light the 600 is great. I don't have one but i am sure the escalade i a better quality also. I tried to saved a couple of bucks then lost it when i sold it for a loss to buy another 800. It is worth it in the long run!

May 28 06 12:14 pm Link

Photographer

Antoine McAdams

Splendid Images wrote:

The sb-600 is a good flash but no where near better. If you plan to use only one flash as a fill light the 600 is great. I don't have one but i am sure the escalade i a better quality also. I tried to saved a couple of bucks then lost it when i sold it for a loss to buy another 800. It is worth it in the long run!

LOL ok guys...not to make yall appear slow...but, I have seen the about 2 or 3 times...and frankly...its obvious that the SB-800 is the better "vehicle" hence it costing more and having more features and also because pretty much every Nikon flash has gotten better with every release...I don't need you to Cut each others necks off about (even tho this it a forum wink ) this i just wanted to some advice but, to put it simple...

SB-600  and  SB-800 which sounds more expensive and better at first thought?

It's obvious the SB-800 is better sounding...

May 28 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Francisco Nunez Alfaro

Santa Barbara, California, US

I love my SB-800 I think it was worth it, it was way to many features. It works best with Recharchable batteries the recharchable time is way faster, but the thing about these portabla flash units is that when the light turns on it is only 75% chached so you have to keep an ear open and listen to the capasator, or else images could come out underexposed...

May 28 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Splendid_Images

Atlanta, Georgia, US

AntoineM732 wrote:
It's obvious the SB-800 is better sounding...

and performing

May 28 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ed Bensen

Houston, Alaska, US

I have (2) SB-800s and I want a 3rd... they are great for remote flash photography...sort of a portable mini studio... Their manual sucks but, I have a friend working on a laminated cheat sheet for the SB-800.  Also, B&H has them for $314 and there is a $25 rebate from Nikon...Ed

May 28 06 12:43 pm Link