Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What photoshop should i download? please advise :)

Model

Kay Model xoxo

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi,

I want to learn how to correct noses, make skin look flawless and make people look thinner.

Can you please advise me what photoshop i should download to do this?

thank you smile smile

Kay

xxxxxxxxx

Oct 06 09 08:49 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

buy the one on the left or in the middle and you are all set tongue

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop … moid=BPDEK

Oct 06 09 08:53 am Link

Model

Grace P

Hi Kay,

Are you aware that Photoshop is not a free download?

Prices are high, because this is a professional tool.

I suggest going with an open-source and hence free software package to get you started and once you get to a level where you decide you are interested and invested in retouching then you can start thinking about buying expensive software.

Try the GIMP, downloadable here; http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

It doesn't do all the same things that Photoshop does, but you will probably find a good substitute tool and it's enough to get you started. If you can't find what you are looking for while using it, google is your friend, and you will find that the open source community is very helpful in giving photoshop-gimp equivalencies to new users who are getting to grips with things.

Enjoy!

Oct 12 09 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Get Adobe Photoshop Elements and if you are student it should be quite cheap.

Oct 12 09 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Painting With Lights

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, US

I just bought a intuos 4 tablet. It was $199 and comes with 5 programs for retouching including Adobe elements 7.

Oct 12 09 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

d00dle

get Adobe Photoshop CS4 or don't bother! u can get student edition for like $199 or $299 for a retail version @journeyed.com...good deal!

Oct 12 09 12:36 pm Link

Model

LC Mtl

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Grace Page wrote:
Hi Kay,

I suggest going with an open-source and hence free software package to get you started and once you get to a level where you decide you are interested and invested in retouching then you can start thinking about buying expensive software.

It doesn't do all the same things that Photoshop does, but you will probably find a good substitute tool and it's enough to get you started. If you can't find what you are looking for while using it, google is your friend, and you will find that the open source community is very helpful in giving photoshop-gimp equivalencies to new users who are getting to grips with things.

Enjoy!

+1

I don't have photoshop at the moment (I will I will!)
I'm using gimp at the moment - it's no near what you can accomplish with photoshop, but it's the best FREE tool you can use IMO. It's enough to correct skin imperfections, hide the eyes dark circles, play a little with colours, etc.

As I said, it's not the perfect tool, but it can accomplish some great things anyways! smile

Hope that helps,

LC

Oct 12 09 12:42 pm Link

Retoucher

Veritas Retouching

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm using Photoshop 7 and I'm really happy with it.  I'm aware of what CS4 has to offer, but you can pick up 7 on amazon for a good price and still get the job done smile

Oct 12 09 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

A Visual Paradox

Carmel, California, US

Post hidden on Oct 12, 2009 06:49 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
That's illegal. We don't allow the discussion of such here.

Oct 12 09 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

NICHOLFOTO

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

We all mostly have PhotoShop CS4. 

However, a small Canadian Company called Corel bought out JASC software a few years ago and have come up with a very robust program called Photo Pro X2.  I have been testing it and quite frankly, can't put it down.  Oh I use CS4 an awful lot but if you want to learn (the principles are the same)  you can get this program for 99 Canadian - that's about 70US or so......

I would encourage others to have a boo at it - spectacular. (and I never thought I would be saying that).

Oct 12 09 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by John

Prescott, Arizona, US

What are you currently using and why do you want to move to something else?

The Photoshop 7 or the Creative Suite series or Photoshop Elements do have different capabilities and limitations...

What are you using now and where do you want to go?

Oct 12 09 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by John

Prescott, Arizona, US

Post hidden on Oct 12, 2009 06:51 pm
Reason: other
Comments:
Hiding this as it quotes the hidden post above.

Oct 12 09 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

Coarse Art

Lexington, Ohio, US

I surely hope that I don't get banned from llama Mayhem for this suggestion but an application that many claim is superior to any of the PS's and is free - even for Windoze users: The Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP):
  http://www.gimp.org/

If you are unable/unwilling to adapt to GIMP's UI, try GIMPShop:
  http://www.gimpshop.com/download.shtml

Oct 15 09 05:30 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Tom deL wrote:
I surely hope that I don't get banned from llama Mayhem for this suggestion but an application that many claim is superior to any of the PS's and is free - even for Windoze users: The Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP):
  http://www.gimp.org/

I can't see why you'd be worried about that, given that multiple moderators have recommended the GIMP in the past, and it's in at least one of the FAQs.

That said, while it is an eminently powerful imaging package, its lack of 16-bit, CMYK, and LAB support leave it severely handicapped for many uses--but more than powerful enough for many others.

Oct 15 09 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Ricardo Sevilla 2

Miami, Florida, US

Grace Page wrote:
Hi Kay,

Enjoy!

Just going to throw this out there.

Photoshop IS FREE to download from
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

It's free for 30 days smile

-Ricardo S.

Oct 15 09 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Czar

Oak Park, Illinois, US

Kay  llama xoxo wrote:
Hi,

I want to learn how to correct noses, make skin look flawless and make people look thinner.

Can you please advise me what photoshop i should download to do this?

thank you smile smile

Kay

xxxxxxxxx

Photoshop CS4 is a professional tool and has a hefty price tag for most. If money doesn't matter, go ahead.

However, you might consider starting with Photoshop Elements. I think 8 is the current version. It's

Oct 15 09 10:03 pm Link

Model

Kay Model xoxo

Thank you so much every one for your reply smile

I am going to save and get the CS4 it sounds like the best one smile

now looking for a wizard in London to teach me? smile

Kay

xoxo

Oct 18 09 03:38 pm Link

Model

Kay Model xoxo

Ps is CS4 best for macbook or windows?

Thanks

Kay

xoxo

Oct 18 09 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

d00dle

Kay  llama xoxo wrote:
Ps is CS4 best for macbook or windows?

Thanks

Kay

xoxo

Macbook would be quite slow to handle CS4 imo, especially when ur editing a high res image (even my macbook pro w/ 4gb of ram i feel like it's kinda sluggish sometime...one of my latest psd is like 300mb in size!!). Mac would would be your best bet for CS4 (even University and retouch house are running Adobe on Mac)

Oct 18 09 11:36 pm Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

Windows, especially if you have a good graphics card.  Seagate makes awesome ones.  I've always been a PC person- everything I want to run on here works great.  I can even have a bunch of programs running like Photoshop CS4, Bridge, Lightroom, Firefox, AIM, Skype... doesn't slow it down, even on my laptop (just an integrated graphics card).

Oct 22 09 10:01 am Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Los Angeles, California, US

J Garber  wrote:
I'm using Photoshop 7 and I'm really happy with it.  I'm aware of what CS4 has to offer, but you can pick up 7 on amazon for a good price and still get the job done smile

I 2nd this.  I used 7 for a long time.  I think I skipped over everything up to CS2 because I was so happy with 7.  You can probably get one on amazon or ebay for next to nothing.

Good luck.

Oct 22 09 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Escalante

Chicago, Illinois, US

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 12:57 pm
Comments:
Please do not make BS posts in the industry forums.

Telling someone the use of digital retouching is inappropriate in a Digital Arts forum is BS.

Oct 22 09 11:48 am Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

Comments:
Do not feed the trolls.

Oct 22 09 11:57 am Link

Clothing Designer

CottonCandie

San Francisco, California, US

Ok, now we know whose an unrealistic idealist.

Relative to op:
I just lost CS4 in a vista~related crash and picked up Photoshop Elements 8 to tide me through, would this program be able to help me alter the 'fit' of  clothing from a shoot {like 'slimming' in OP?}... I've been shipping a lot of work lately and not sure that what I'm getting back is suitable based on not being there to dress the models myself. {yes, *some* have problems reading instructions and dressing themselves}

Oct 22 09 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

SCAM Photography

Mansfield, Ohio, US

Comments:
Do not feed the trolls.

Oct 22 09 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

SCAM Photography

Mansfield, Ohio, US

nwprophoto wrote:

The OP did not say anything about models.
While I sort of agree with your ethics on this
doing major changes has been known to put bread on my table.

Amen!

Oct 22 09 12:44 pm Link