Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

any of you wizards are into 3d by any chance?
What is a good software to start learning basic 3d modeling that looks good enough to use in 2d images?

I know max and maya are out there, anything else that is simple and affordable or maybe free like gimp?

Oct 13 09 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

fine art nudes by paul

Oakland, California, US

povray

Oct 13 09 09:55 pm Link

Artist/Painter

bijan studio

TARZANA, California, US

Vue from eonsoftware.
That's mostly for creating landscapes and basic modeling.

It all depends what you want to create.

Oct 13 09 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

d00dle

blender is free (similar to gimp i guess).

Oct 13 09 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Koray wrote:
any of you wizards are into 3d by any chance?
What is a good software to start learning basic 3d modeling that looks good enough to use in 2d images?

I know max and maya are out there, anything else that is simple and affordable or maybe free like gimp?

Povray (as mentioned above) and Blender 3D are good packages.  Just keep in mind that these tools are like what Gimp is to Photoshop.  3DS Max, Maya and XSI (formerly SoftImage) are the top 3 industry dogs for film and gaming for a reason.

-PKD

Oct 13 09 10:14 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

blender looks cool...downloading vue now...its tome for me to expand a little more big_smile

Oct 13 09 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Narciscus Studio

Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

I used to use Poser many years ago, which is pretty cool for figuring out lighting setups for studio work. I believe its 3D modeling capabilities have improved quite substantially over the years. You could also look at Caligari Truespace, Vue & Blender (which is opensource)

Oct 13 09 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

d00dle

wonder what type of 3d modeling u have in mind, ex. products, cars, architecture, or characters? i've been in 3d world for quite sometime (2-3 yrs actually)...gave up doing anything organic (like human). im pretty decent with modeling now (stuffs like computers, cars, products, etc..piece of cake) and I just start learning how to light the scene (if ur a photographer, u already have a huge advantage).

sorry, gotta show off a little bit..hehe.

where i am
modeling
https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4361/na2.png

rendering
https://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2827/95926190.png

where i want to be
http://www.productionparadise.com/spotl … d-169.html

Oct 13 09 10:56 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I have no idea about what I want to do.

I'm bored and uninspired lately and looking for excitement big_smile

Oct 13 09 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Well I've been watching your stuff from well before the first Koray vs Sean thread so I'll tell you this.

3D is a whole new beast... it can be addicting to learn... but there's a lot going on in a single scene.  Modeling is just the first part, texturing, using shaders and proper lighting (bit different in 3D apps) are going to become the bane to your existence.  Let's not even talk about Z-brush for now.  wink

I've been using 3D rendering for almost 18 years now and have been in the videogame industry for just over 12 of those years.  I still don't know everything there is to know about 3DSMax or Maya and I've covered quite a bit.  It's kinda like photoshop... no matter how good you think you are... there's about 1000 other ways to do the stuff you do and some of them are better.. hehehe smile

-PKD

Oct 13 09 11:19 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Z brush looks awesome.

Oct 13 09 11:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

I use Maya... Been using both 3Ds max and Maya for years.

Oct 13 09 11:58 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

btdsgn wrote:
I use Maya... Been using both 3Ds max and Maya for years.

what do you do with them?

I just need freedom to create things that cant be photographed...tired of hunting stock photos etc..and I cant paint...but I can certainly push things around digitally big_smile

Oct 14 09 12:01 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Koray wrote:

what do you do with them?

I just need freedom to create things that cant be photographed...tired of hunting stock photos etc..and I cant paint...but I can certainly push things around digitally big_smile

I've used it to model body parts, backgrounds, cars exc... I did 3d modeling for training videos back in the mide-late 90s. If you're looking at something to start playing around with thats not as involved try checking out poser.

Oct 14 09 12:04 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

btdsgn wrote:

I've used it to model body parts, backgrounds, cars exc... I did 3d modeling for training videos back in the mide-late 90s. If you're looking at something to start playing around with thats not as involved try checking out poser.

I have pretty naked girls to shoot with rather than poser...I need new exciting things to add or work with...like digital props.

Oct 14 09 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Alex Rodriguez gfx

Anaheim, California, US

Cinema 4D is the entry level for professional 3d software

Oct 14 09 12:14 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Brittain

Wahiawa, Hawaii, US

Koray wrote:
I have pretty naked girls to shoot with rather than poser...I need new exciting things to add or work with...like digital props.

Poser has a lot of props and backgrounds to use. Some are very realiztic if you check out the daz3d or renderosity stores. Even the ones that aren't that realistic can be made to look good with post work.

For Maya and 3ds, they're pretty much the industry standard in 3d modeling and if you want to do it, it can be done with this software. Thats also if you have $3-4k laying around. You'll also probably want differnet rendering plugins to get nicer renders. Figure on about another $1k for something like Maxwell Render.

Oct 14 09 12:17 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

https://www.khyronmedia.com/badcomb.jpg

-PKD

Oct 14 09 12:18 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
https://www.khyronmedia.com/badcomb.jpg

-PKD

haha...

but really it looks like an advanced liquify to me...tongue

Oct 14 09 12:21 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Koray wrote:
haha...

but really it looks like an advanced liquify to me...tongue

It pretty much is.. it's a sculpting tool that does great organic stuff.

-PKD

Oct 14 09 12:23 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

It pretty much is.. it's a sculpting tool that does great organic stuff.

-PKD

I need to see how realistic its 2d export is. it may be what I'm looking for for real.

Oct 14 09 12:29 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Koray wrote:
I need to see how realistic its 2d export is. it may be what I'm looking for for real.

The default renderer (which generates your 2D image) is pretty nice.  But most of the time we'll import the scenes created in ZBrush and render in Maya's 3rd party renderers.  It's an expensive solution but works wonders.

-PKD

Oct 14 09 12:34 am Link

Digital Artist

Eithne Ni Anluain

Dundalk, Louth, Ireland

btdsgn wrote:
daz3d or renderosity

Yep - as far as I can make out once ya nail Daz 3D it really is fantastic along with Poser...

Oct 14 09 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

btdsgn wrote:

Poser has a lot of props and backgrounds to use. Some are very realiztic if you check out the daz3d or renderosity stores. Even the ones that aren't that realistic can be made to look good with post work.

For Maya and 3ds, they're pretty much the industry standard in 3d modeling and if you want to do it, it can be done with this software. Thats also if you have $3-4k laying around. You'll also probably want differnet rendering plugins to get nicer renders. Figure on about another $1k for something like Maxwell Render.

Maya currently has an offer on their web site which allows you to download a full cut of the software for free and use it for 9 months without paying for it. All the renders have the Maya logo on them, but it's a great way to learn the basics just to see if you have any chops with it. they refer to the offer as helping people that have been laid off due to the economy. Be prepared to tell them you are unemployed.

Oct 14 09 05:13 am Link

Retoucher

Elektron Retouching

Huntington Beach, California, US

Cinema 4d R11.5

Oct 14 09 12:01 pm Link

Retoucher

AdamPhillips

London, England, United Kingdom

I used to use Maya a lot, I seem to remember that you can download the full version to learn on for free (as long as the watermarks don't send you over the edge). Has that changed now? It might be an idea as 3d takes a while to learn.

Oct 15 09 01:14 pm Link

Digital Artist

Mac is Live

Bermuda Dunes, California, US

I say you should start with Zbrush. If llamaing is what you want to do with it.

Oct 15 09 05:16 pm Link

Retoucher

G-Touch Fx

Athens, Attikí, Greece

Well I've been watching your stuff from well before the first Koray vs Sean thread so I'll tell you this.

3D is a whole new beast... it can be addicting to learn... but there's a lot going on in a single scene.  llamaing is just the first part, texturing, using shaders and proper lighting (bit different in 3D apps) are going to become the bane to your existence.  Let's not even talk about Z-brush for now.  wink

I've been using 3D rendering for almost 18 years now and have been in the videogame industry for just over 12 of those years.  I still don't know everything there is to know about 3DSMax or Maya and I've covered quite a bit.  It's kinda like photoshop... no matter how good you think you are... there's about 1000 other ways to do the stuff you do and some of them are better.. hehehe smile

-PKD

I agree with you. I am a 3d animator myself for some years and i use 3dsmax. I still dont know some techniques. its huge!

Oct 15 09 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

In terms of learning, many have trial or watermarked demos. For that Maya PLE & Luxology's Modo are my preferred. In terms of cheap and previously unmentioned, I like the render quality of Pixels 3D ( www.pixels3d.com ).

Oct 16 09 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Sean Duffy

Riverside, California, US

Not sure what you are looking to do, but some of these programs are free or inexpensive. https://www.daz3d.com

Oct 16 09 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

I use maya... 6 years strong.

I would avoid poser, because it tends to look like poser.

3d is not really something you do half assed.  It is an enormous time commitment to learn and even more to create with.

Oct 16 09 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

3D is a whole new beast... it can be addicting to learn... but there's a lot going on in a single scene.  llamaing is just the first part, texturing, using shaders and proper lighting (bit different in 3D apps) are going to become the bane to your existence.  Let's not even talk about Z-brush for now.  wink

-PKD

Someone forget about rigging?  Talk about the bane of your existence.

Oct 16 09 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Ditto; rigging.

And your right about it's is an enormous time commitment I started a project about 3 months ago with a mathematician geometric graphical engineering 3d/2d/2.5D artist.

Probably be another 3 months.

Thanks for the link d00dle. Ed Lee's on there who I was 2nd assistant to on occasion. All down to sharing a flat with his 1st assistant.

Oct 16 09 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

d00dle

sweet! I wouldn't mind being someone assistant. 3d/CGi seems like the future (for products photography)...fresh out of college, I was working for a prepress/retouch house in SF. (http://www.pacdigital.com/ check out their intro...really cool). seem like they're gearing toward 3d and recently have a 3d department (about 2 yrs old just before i left...they were looking for 3d artists...I was just started at the time). well, I thought i was too good to work as a proof boy (their entry level job) so i say goodbye after like 3-4 months there sad

Oct 16 09 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

http://www.air-cgi.com/

You may like this. R

Oct 17 09 04:46 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I'll take the z-brush and see where it takes me...
finally something new and interesting for me big_smile

Oct 17 09 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Black Russian Studio

New York, New York, US

If you looking for something to create realistic landscapes I don't think anything can beat Bryce, now in version 6. Got to admit I never used last 2 versions, and I am absolutely hate their interface, but when it comes to landscapes it performs on the same level as most expensive 3D programs for a fraction of their price. Plus their shareware version is available here
http://download.cnet.com/Bryce/3000-667 … 96716.html

Looking forward to see your new creations from other universe!
big_smile

Oct 17 09 11:10 am Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

if you want 3d llamas like people, you want poser

not free.

Oct 18 09 06:48 pm Link

Retoucher

Cristina M Beller

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've totally been drooling over Zbrush. Please let us know how it works out and post examples!!

Oct 19 09 01:21 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Cristina M Beller wrote:
I've totally been drooling over Zbrush. Please let us know how it works out and post examples!!

I bought some books and learning the basics now but its not hard at all.
Possibilities are endless and very exciting. I feel one step closer to Giger or Tool videos already wink

Oct 19 09 06:05 pm Link