Photographer

d00dle

82 Earth-Shattering ZBrush Tutorials smile

http://cg.tutsplus.com/articles/web-rou … tutorials/

this one is my favorite (below), using Zbrush and Photoshop (learn a few tricks)

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=074301

Oct 19 09 07:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Cristina M Beller

Chicago, Illinois, US

Oh my god... MUST HAVE ZBRUSH!!!!! I can make all my creepy characters come to LIFE...almost.

Dag nabbit!!!! I remember them not having a trial version for mac a year ago!! Why do they still not have one??
shucks

Oct 20 09 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Waltham Abbey, England, United Kingdom

Been using 3D for about 10+ years or so. My main apps are ZBrush and Modo. I was a beta tester for 3.12 on Mac OSX.

A few examples... http://www.picturesinpixels.co.uk/galle … mples.html

Oct 21 09 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Pictures In Pixels wrote:
Been using 3D for about 10+ years or so. My main apps are ZBrush and Modo. I was a beta tester for 3.12 on Mac OSX.

A few examples... http://www.picturesinpixels.co.uk/galle … mples.html

The Escher mirror ball... it seems the most photo realistic. Do you have more images like it?

Oct 21 09 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Robert Randall wrote:

Maya currently has an offer on their web site which allows you to download a full cut of the software for free and use it for 9 months without paying for it. All the renders have the Maya logo on them, but it's a great way to learn the basics just to see if you have any chops with it. they refer to the offer as helping people that have been laid off due to the economy. Be prepared to tell them you are unemployed.

Fwiw, I've worked with Maya and 3dmax both.  I found 3dmax a little more left brained, but easier to overome the learning curve (for me).  Maya is great for organic modeling though.

Oct 21 09 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Robert Randall wrote:
The Escher mirror ball... it seems the most photo realistic. Do you have more images like it?

Not many as my 3D is just a hobby so not much time for it. I tend to experiment quite a bit with different styles rather than have a fixed style I always do. I do tend to end creating mad creatures mainly...

I planning to bring more 3D into my images which would need to be more realistic...

Most recent 3D venture using ZBrush... http://www.3dunderworld.co.uk/buxpix/grey-2.jpg

Oct 21 09 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Robert Randall wrote:

If you want photorealistic.. check out this local Vancouverite...

http://student.vfs.com/~3d68max/index.html  < Look at the Joker.. 100% 3D.

-PKD

Oct 21 09 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Los Angeles, California, US

It really depends on what you want to do.  If you are going for photorealism, normal maps might be the way to go.  That would be ZBrush or Mudbox.  I prefer Mudbox for the interface and ease of switching between detail levels, but I love the wax material you get to use in ZBrush. 

If you are using either of those programs however, you will be sculpting things like statues because the models wont be able to be rigged and posed through those programs.  That is done through other 3d packages. 

I wont talk for other people, but I have never seen any image done through poser that looked good.  I remember that bryce was doing some rather impressive things and had potential, but I have never really liked any images I have seen done with that program either.

Maya is the best for feature animation and film effects.  No way around it.  You can do more and do it better than the other programs.  3ds Max tends to be used more for games.  A while back lightwave did some awesome commercials (think the M&M characters). 

Then you have to decide what renderer you want.  I use both MentalRay and Renderman for Maya.  Mental ray comes with Maya and if you buy the unlimited version, you get 8 licenses for it.  Renderman is WAY more expensive, but has better motion blur and I am partial to their environment lights. 

Concept > Model > UV > Texture > Blend Shapes > Rig > Animate > Light > Render is a basic workflow pipeline.  Games tend to use Joints for facial animation over blend shapes. 

Think of what you want as a goal with 3d (examples: add a model you shot into a 3d environment; replace a models arms with robotic arms;  create a futuristic car for the model to sit in; etc) and we will be better able to help direct you in what you need to do.

Oct 22 09 03:12 am Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Double Post!

Oct 22 09 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

dottore della peste wrote:
It really depends on what you want to do.  If you are going for photorealism, normal maps might be the way to go.  That would be ZBrush or Mudbox.  I prefer Mudbox for the interface and ease of switching between detail levels, but I love the wax material you get to use in ZBrush. 

If you are using either of those programs however, you will be sculpting things like statues because the models wont be able to be rigged and posed through those programs.  That is done through other 3d packages

You can pose models in ZBrush with ease using transpose or ZSpheres, what you have just written is extremely inaccurate. As well as that inaccuracy Mudbox and ZBrush can't even be compared as ZBrushes toolset is extensive as it works in 3D, 2D & 2.5D also. Mudbox sculpts and textures!

Zbrush does have one real limitation in creating real or hypereal images to composite into photographs. That is it's renderer which can be a bit cartoony, hence my use of Modo for renders...

Your recommendations for software are very biased and contain extremely expensive solutions. Maya unlimited and Renderman would cost around £20K, not forgetting a learning curve like a cliff and the need for a machine with specs to deal with such processing!

You have mentioned very low end 3D software i.e Bryce and Poser, then you have mentioned very high end. Where is Cinema 4D, Modo, Blender, Vue, XSI, Lightwave... the list goes on.

I would recommend anyone wishing to dabble in 3D to download a trial versions and seeing what works for you, both in terms of usabilty and price point. It's not much different to choosing a camera, if it works for you then go for it. A good camera doesn't make you a better photographer in the same way software choice doesn't make you a better 3D artist.

Oct 22 09 07:29 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Robert Randall wrote:

scary I sent the Eschers pic of the mirror ball a few days ago as inspiration to the mathematician geometric graphical engineering 3d/2d/2.5D artist..........easier to call him Phil.

Oct 22 09 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Not many as my 3D is just a hobby so not much time for it. I tend to experiment quite a bit with different styles rather than have a fixed style I always do. I do tend to end creating mad creatures mainly...

I planning to bring more 3D into my images which would need to be more realistic...

Most recent 3D venture using ZBrush... http://www.3dunderworld.co.uk/buxpix/grey-2.jpg

Sweet Jesus, when did you meet my mother in law?

Oct 22 09 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Fashion Photographer

London, England, United Kingdom

If I remember correctly, you can download a free version of Houdini.

Oct 22 09 08:53 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

although the image quality suffers (meaning you have to make big and use small) zbrush is to most creative friendly software I've ever seen.
it removes drawing and painting skills out of the equation and also makes me see things I wouldnt be able to visualize in depth alone.

I dont know how I'm going to use it and for what yet but its fun just thinking about it big_smile

Oct 22 09 09:06 am Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

You can pose models in ZBrush with ease using transpose or ZSpheres, what you have just written is extremely inaccurate. As well as that inaccuracy Mudbox and ZBrush can't even be compared as ZBrushes toolset is extensive as it works in 3D, 2D & 2.5D also. Mudbox sculpts and textures!

Zbrush does have one real limitation in creating real or hypereal images to composite into photographs. That is it's renderer which can be a bit cartoony, hence my use of Modo for renders...

Your recommendations for software are very biased and contain extremely expensive solutions. Maya unlimited and Renderman would cost around £20K, not forgetting a learning curve like a cliff and the need for a machine with specs to deal with such processing!

You have mentioned very low end 3D software i.e Bryce and Poser, then you have mentioned very high end. Where is Cinema 4D, Modo, Blender, Vue, XSI, Lightwave... the list goes on.

I would recommend anyone wishing to dabble in 3D to download a trial versions and seeing what works for you, both in terms of usabilty and price point. It's not much different to choosing a camera, if it works for you then go for it. A good camera doesn't make you a better photographer in the same way software choice doesn't make you a better 3D artist.

Way to make things personal man.

I find your comment that you can't compare zBrush and Mudbox laughable.  The two programs are direct competitors.  zBrush is better in some ways, Mudbox in others (which is what I think I just said). You can pose a character (I guess I could have expanded, but I didn't want to get into painting weights as opposed to spheres).  in zBrush, but I have found that to be slower and more difficult ultimately leading to less than believable results and more cleanup work.

My recommendations are not biased at all.  They are informed.  I have used many 3d packages since 3d studio 7 back in 1997 and was relating my thoughts on what I have used.  Notice how I have given information and opinions about a number of competing softwares? 

You are wrong.  Apparently 20k pounds is about $33.2k US.  I bought Maya Unlimited 2009 (the largest, most expensive and inclusive package) for $5,000 and it came with a free version of Mudbox 2009.  I got Renderman for Maya for $1,000.  That is a grand total of $6k... not $33k.  I also didn't forget the learning curve.  Since my first post here I have been mentioning the time commitment. As for the machine that can deal with it... Welcome to any form of computer graphics.  I am running Maya 2009 and RfM 3.0 right now on my 4 year old laptop, while I have photoshop cs3 open and a movie playing and have no lag problem.   Of course I would love to have it on an ultra uber computer so my cloth and fur dynamics would cache faster, but I make do just fine.

I mentioned low end software and then high end software because people were recommending the low over high.  Yes, it is cheaper, but there is a reason.  For the most part it tends to look like crap.

I had used cinema4d for a couple years before switching to Maya.  I found that it did some cartoon stuff well (although rather limited compaired to 3ds which I used before) but wasn't very good for photoreal.  Lightwave I mentioned, read more carefully.  The others, I haven't used so I can't talk about them... except I have heard good things about XSI.

If you are going to continue trying to pick fights with people, I would recommend moving along because that tends to be frowned on here.

Oct 22 09 11:01 am Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

I would recommend anyone wishing to dabble in 3D to download a trial versions and seeing what works for you, both in terms of usabilty and price point.

Now for what I agree with...

This is good advice.  As far as I am aware all of the software mentioned in the previous comments is available with watermarked trial versions from the creator's websites.  The really cool thing is (at least for Maya and Renderman, I haven't tried it with the others) you can save out the files done in a trial version and if you know someone who has a full version with purchased licenses you can render through their software with no watermark. 

In school, a number of people downloaded the trial versions of Maya (8.5 I think) to install on their home computers so they could work when the labs were closed and were still able to send files to the farm with no problems.

For the OP... again... first think of what you want to do and then we will be better equipped to direct you the best way to do it.

It's not much different to choosing a camera, if it works for you then go for it. A good camera doesn't make you a better photographer in the same way software choice doesn't make you a better 3D artist.

This on the other hand, I would have to disagree with.  Owning a better camera or better software might not make you a better artist, but good artists can create better art with them.  To continue with your analogy, while it is easier to learn how to use a disposable camera than a high end dslr, your results will look like they came from a disposable camera.

Oct 22 09 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

If you are going to continue trying to pick fights with people, I would recommend moving along because that tends to be frowned on here.

Pick fights? Sorry I was merely pointing out inaccuracies, this was not a personal attack, just facts. If you saw my post as an attack then I apologise as this was not the intention.

But, as this is a public forum I am sure you are aware I am entitled to my opinion as are you, I have also paid for membership so will not be 'moving along' as you so eloquently put it.

I felt by only mentioning a handful of apps you use you indeed were being biased and 'off topic' as the initial question was...

Koray wrote:
What is a good software to start learning basic 3d modeling that looks good enough to use in 2d images?

I know max and maya are out there, anything else that is simple and affordable or maybe free like gimp?

...this is obviously my opinion.

But by quoting how long you have been doing 3D seems unecessary, is this supposed to make me feel I must bow to your superior knowledge as it seems quite patronising or even a personal attack!

I have been involved in 3D since 95/96, also running my own 3D forum for 3 years now. Not that this vulgar puffing out of our chests actually matters to anyone, but as you pointed it out I thought I would do the same so we both appreciate each others positions. This being we both have extensive knowledge of 3D but have different opinions, not a bad thing in my book.

I could continue re: price of software, better cameras making better photographers, machine specs etc, but feel it unnecessary to subject any other members to such trivia, knowing you will only continue to mis quote me in this diatribe until it gets nasty an vindictive which I'm sure would be 'frowned' upon here.

Please email me or message me should you wish to continue a discussion on this matter and thank you for such a warm welcome to the Model Mayhem community... ;-)

Apologies to everyone else having to read this drivel but I feel I am entitled to defend myself when misquoted as is anyone else here.

Oct 22 09 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Koray wrote:
although the image quality suffers (meaning you have to make big and use small) zbrush is to most creative friendly software I've ever seen.
it removes drawing and painting skills out of the equation and also makes me see things I wouldnt be able to visualize in depth alone.

I dont know how I'm going to use it and for what yet but its fun just thinking about it big_smile

I wouldn't agree it removes painting and drawing skills out of the equation altogether but once mastered it is indeed a powerful tool and extremely user friendly.

As I mentioned earlier in my 'personal attack', ZBrushes biggest downfall is it's renderer as it cannot produce anywhere near photo-real renders. Saying that, it's great fun and opens up a whole new world of options.

Oct 22 09 11:48 am Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

There was nothing "inaccurate" or "biased" about anything I had posted.  I tend to pride myself on my objectivity so I am not going to apologize for taking personally directed comments like that personally.  It seems to me that this has already gotten a bit vindictive, and if you wanted to keep it between us you would have messaged me personally instead of stepping up to try to push me around. 

I am biased because I didn't cover every single 3d program out there?  Why the hell would I do that?  What about google sketchup?  Amazing software, absolutely free and often used by pro-film and post houses for quick 3d concepting.  Why didn't I mention that?  Because it didn't apply to the conversation.

A fact is a statement that can be checked and confirmed.  The "facts" you felt so inclined to share with us... pretty much all wrong.  zBrush and Mudbox are not only comparable, they are frequently compared on sites like CGTalk, Highend3d and many others.  They are, again, directly competing programs.  The "Fact" that "Maya unlimited and Renderman would cost around £20K,"... only $27,000 off.

If you are going to try to confront someone to make yourself feel smart, it might help to know what you are talking about.

Oct 22 09 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Apologies to everyone else having to read this drivel but I feel I am entitled to defend myself when misquoted as is anyone else here.

Nice edit by the way.

Oct 22 09 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Man, you are an editing fool!  I wish I had quoted your original post so as to have your message before all of the edits.  Yea, you can change your post so that you are misquoted, then whine about being misquoted.  Well done!

Oct 22 09 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
If you want photorealistic.. check out this local Vancouverite...

http://student.vfs.com/~3d68max/index.html  < Look at the Joker.. 100% 3D.

-PKD

Dear lord!  This one is crazy!
https://student.vfs.com/~3d68max/images/songhyekyo.jpg

I think this is one of the most believable I have seen!

EDIT:  Looking back on it, the mouth blends feel a bit weird though.  She is smiling with her lips, but the muscles in her cheeks are not affected.  Still really impressive though.

Oct 22 09 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 03:50 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
No drama.

Oct 22 09 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Man, you are an editing fool!  I wish I had quoted your original post so as to have your message before all of the edits.  Yea, you can change your post so that you are misquoted, then whine about being misquoted.  Well done!

Sorry, now I'm not allowed to edit my own posts? Sorry but I didn't realise you were a mod or Admin, oh you're not, my mistake...

An editing fool? that's me...

Any chance we can chat like adults at some point?

Oct 22 09 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 03:47 pm
Comments:
No drama.

Oct 22 09 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 03:48 pm
Comments:
No drama.

Oct 22 09 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 03:49 pm
Comments:
No drama. No personal attacks. No unsolicited critiques.

Oct 22 09 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Pictures In Pixels

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 03:38 pm
Comments:
No BS. No drama. No personal attacks.

Oct 22 09 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

dottore della peste

Post hidden on Oct 22, 2009 03:35 pm
Comments:
No BS. No drama. No personal attacks.

Oct 22 09 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!
From the Photography Forum FAQ

What is different about the Industry forums?

In addition to the regular forum rules, there are two that apply specifically to Tier 3 Forums—Model Matters; Photography Talk; and Hair, Makeup & Styling.

(31) No BS: While this is Model Mayhem, we would like to keep a nice balance between the mayhem and being resourceful.    This is where the "Industry Forums" come in to play.  All forums under this header are meant to be used for serious discussion only.  Please think before you post and only hit the submit button if you have a well thought out contribution.  Junk posts/threads do not belong here.  These forums will be heavily moderated by the Forum Mods.  If they feel someone is too much of a nuisance, the offender could be banned from the forums.

(32) No drama: Keep the drama out of these forums.  If you get into it with someone, please at least keep it civil.  Or else both parties will be brigged.

Such posts have a long history of disrupting threads, and fall under the No BS rule as well as the No Hijacking and Don’t Troll site rules. Consider very carefully whether the post is a serious contribution before clicking on Reply.

Oct 22 09 03:33 pm Link