Retoucher

NickWatson

London, England, United Kingdom

Hey,

Was just wondering what ftp you guys use?

I am currently using ftp that came with the webspace for my site and find uploading very slow, which doesnt help get large files back and forth quickly!

Any help welcome, especially from those of you who regulalry deal in large file transfer!

Thanks

Nick.

I should also say that I need to be able to create multiple accounts for clients and for them to be able to upload as well!

Oct 20 09 03:56 am Link

Photographer

photosbyneil

i regularly upload a lot of files. i use a small porg called 'fetch' i find it is really good, speed often depends on the speed of your connections though. both sides.

Oct 20 09 03:58 am Link

Photographer

J A Y S E N

Los Angeles, California, US

I use the FTP function in Dreamweaver.  I believe Lightroom has one as well.

Oct 20 09 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Ex Voto Studio

Columbia, Maryland, US

Filezilla

Oct 20 09 04:01 am Link

Photographer

Michael Bates

Austin, Texas, US

Ex Voto  Studio wrote:
Filezilla

+1 - slick program and it's FREE! I used to use CuteFTP - but Filezilla is much better imo.

Oct 20 09 04:16 am Link

Photographer

Sean Baker Photo

San Antonio, Texas, US

FileZilla, but on my end it's not the software which is rate limiting for uploads - rather the upstream bandwidth from my ISP.  It makes me wish they'd just offer FIOS already.

Oct 20 09 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Rick Dupuis Photography

Truro, Nova Scotia, Canada

I use firefox and also the ftp that is in the cpanel of my website. I am finding the cpanel much easier  and quicker than firefox lately.

Oct 20 09 04:53 am Link

Retoucher

ShadowLight

ftp client - WinScp
(free, and can have secure/encrypted connection for secure file transfers)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/winscp/

UP: the bottleneck of course is the capping of the cable modem (uploads)

DOWN: if you have a web-server usually the download from there will be fast, never used ISPs' ftp but you can test the speed of the download compared to your personal internet bandwidth

check your internet "bandwidth", there must be a few free services that do that out there.

a quick search of "bandwidth test" will give you something like:
http://www.speedtest.net
(pick a server to test it with and will show you your own internet limitations)

SLight

Oct 20 09 05:48 am Link

Photographer

WMcK

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Core FTP is very good - and free!

http://www.coreftp.com/

Oct 20 09 05:53 am Link

Photographer

George Lue

Orlando, Florida, US

FireFTP is the one I use now.  It's a firefox add in, but I've found it's also the best one I've used so far.

I've also used WinFTP and SeagullFTP.  I honestly can say I don't recommend Seagull.

Oct 20 09 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Narciscus Studio

Durban, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Do you mean ftp site, or ftp client?
If you mean client, and youre using a Mac, try Cyberduck.

Oct 20 09 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

I used Fetch in the past, now, due to a strong suggestion from my web guy, I use Transmit.

Oct 20 09 09:57 am Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

NW-RETOUCHING wrote:
Hey,

Was just wondering what ftp you guys use?

I am currently using ftp that came with the webspace for my site and find uploading very slow, which doesnt help get large files back and forth quickly!

Any help welcome, especially from those of you who regulalry deal in large file transfer!

Thanks

Nick.

I should also say that I need to be able to create multiple accounts for clients and for them to be able to upload as well!

yahoo hosts my site and their FTP is PAINFULLY slow.  I sometimes upload 50-70MB at a time for clients.

I don't recommend them at all.  I'm open to suggestions!

Oct 20 09 10:00 am Link

Retoucher

ND Retouch

I use FileZilla

Oct 20 09 10:05 am Link

Retoucher

KKP Retouching

Anaheim, California, US

The Dreamweaver ftp hates me for some reason... I just use the IE to Windows Explorer method.  It's now the only reason I keep that program around.

Oct 20 09 11:43 am Link

Photographer

PhotoEclat

Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland

filezilla is the way to go

Oct 20 09 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

NW-RETOUCHING wrote:

Ditto.  It's kind of slow, but it gets the job done, and my file transfer limit is so huge that I never reach it.  I pay for it, so might as well use it.

My understanding is that ftp uploading (unlike downloading) is inherently slow, and there's not much that can be done about it.

Oct 20 09 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

S T U D I O S I X

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

rumpus

Oct 20 09 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chris N

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

filezilla for the past couple years.

Oct 21 09 02:41 am Link

Retoucher

NickWatson

Thanks for the responses guys. I am already using filezilla but from reading what most have you have written, i cannot increase my upload speed without upgrading my isp (which i cant as i live in a listed building and the landlord denied me putting in optical cable yikes( )

cheers anyway though!

Oct 21 09 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Im on Mac and have been using Fetch since I started with websites about ten years ago.

Oct 21 09 02:54 am Link

Photographer

yosiphoto II

Margate, Florida, US

I use filzilla .....and I'm very happy smile

Oct 21 09 03:04 am Link

Photographer

iinfinitii

College Park, Maryland, US

just winscp

and on my mac I always have an XP virtual machine open so I just winscp on there too xD
even if my windows XP virtual machine is suspended, it usually takes 10 seconds to 'boot' from clicking the parallels icon on the desktop.

Gotta hand it to Parallels,  they have made Mac have the best virtualization solution ever. (but then again I don't think I would want coherence mode on my windows machine....)

Oct 23 09 02:27 am Link