Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Overriding Leopard's Moronic Keyboard Shortcuts

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Just got a new Mac Pro with the goofy little keyboard that has Dashboard, etc., taking the keys I used to use as shortcut keys and it won't let me change them. Anybody know how to hack the bastard to do what I want?

Oct 22 09 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

D P P I X

Lathrop, California, US

MMDesign wrote:
Just got a new Mac Pro with the goofy little keyboard that has Dashboard, etc., taking the keys I used to use as shortcut keys and it won't let me change them. Anybody know how to hack the bastard to do what I want?

are you talking about the function keys?  there is the fn button in the bottom left corner that swaps the function of the key or you can go to system preferences and then keyboard and click the button that says something like use all function keys as standard function keys.

If you want to then change the volume or something you'll have to hold down the fn key to get it to do what ever feature is printed on the key

Oct 22 09 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

D P P I X wrote:

are you talking about the function keys?  there is the fn button in the bottom left corner that swaps the function of the key or you can go to system preferences and then keyboard and click the button that says something like use all function keys as standard function keys.

If you want to then change the volume or something you'll have to hold down the fn key to get it to do what ever feature is printed on the key

So if I check the "Use all F1, F2, etc., keys..." box, I can use them as Photoshop keyboard shortcuts and use them as they were designed by pressing the Fn key (do they mean F+n or am I'm missing something here?).

If so, thanks for the help.

Oct 22 09 01:52 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

That is correct. Hold the fn key to use them for whatever the default... isn't.

PS I think this (I have the full size) is one of the best keyboards I've ever typed with, but I'm not a fan of the abbreviated version. You can get the full-size as a no-charge upgrade when you order online, but I got them to give my mom one in an Apple store when we threatened to leave over it.

Working the bluff might be a pain in the ass and not worth it to you, but I bet if you boxed the whole thing up and walked into your place of purchase saying you wanted to return it and order online to get the larger keyboard, they'd take care of it.

Oct 22 09 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

ezpkns retouching wrote:
That is correct. Hold the fn key to use them for whatever the default... isn't.

PS I think this (I have the full size) is one of the best keyboards I've ever typed with, but I'm not a fan of the abbreviated version. You can get the full-size as a no-charge upgrade when you order online, but I got them to give my mom one in an Apple store when we threatened to leave over it.

Working the bluff might be a pain in the ass and not worth it to you, but I bet if you boxed the whole thing up and walked into your place of purchase saying you wanted to return it and order online to get the larger keyboard, they'd take care of it.

I have the full size keyboard. I have to have the numbers on the side or I just can't function. I just don't like all the crap taking up keys that should be put to better use, though I guess they can be now that I know how. I do miss F11 though that hid all windows.

Oct 22 09 02:37 pm Link

Retoucher

Mistletoe

London, England, United Kingdom

MM Design - you can set all your F keys to do what you want. If you still want F11 to be expose's reveal desktop - the Expose Shortcuts are in your System Prefs, under Expose. You can now even use the F14 F15 ad F16 keys in Photoshop, and that wasn't possible in the old days.

Oct 22 09 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

For years I've had F4 as my shortcut to Photokit. Losing that was like losing a limb. I'm in the middle of retouching a shoot that has to go out tonight so I'll try setting them later or in the morning.

Thanks for all of the help.

Oct 22 09 02:51 pm Link