Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > I just put an order for my new 27" monitor!

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Yup... I just came down from the Apple store and put a deposit to get the new 27″ LED Cinema Display..what a gorgeous display, it's way better than my Cinema HD 30" (crisper and higher pixel density). I compared them side by side at the store and the 27" wins hands down (plus is $200 cheaper)...

Now comes the best part of this monitor: It comes with a free Mac!

However I am a PC user and Windows 7 64Bit with Photoshop CS4 64bit are the best combination since sliced bread (and for those thinking Photoshop runs better on a Mac than a PC, quick note: Until CS5 is not released, Photoshop CS4 64bit only exists for Windows..hence Windows is a way better OS for image editing than OS X ..at least for CS4).

So I will test how Windows 7 64bit runs in the iMac 27" and if it runs comparable to my 18 months old i7 rig then I might actually use Mac!! Unheard off for me, cause I seriously hate Mac OS X, but the Boot Camp version in Snow Leopard seems to be the best so far, so my guess is that Windows 7 will run like a charm...

I got to admit Apple has come with a kick ass product finally since they released the iPhone of course. This iMac with Win 7 Ultimate 64x and that sweet new magic mouse (yes I tried it and that thing is the bomb) are amazing. Damn shame I cannot eliminate their crappy OS X and leave Windows by itself.. oh well nothing can be perfect 100%.

Oct 23 09 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Kocaj

Rzeszów, Podkarpackie, Poland

nice:)

Oct 23 09 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Don't use bootcamp, just buy a license for Parallels. On my Macbook with 2gb of RAM, I run Windows XP with 512mb of RAM in coherence mode with OSX. You can use Spaces and give Windows its own desktop.

Honestly if you are new to OSX, it'll only take you two weeks to find the "mac" way to do everything you already did in windows. I only use XP in virtualization for programming.

The 2560x1440 resolution is to die for! That is a 1080P movie and then everything else you do on one screen.

Matter of fact, thats a 1080P movie in full resolution in your favorite NLE, plus every subwindow in the NLE opened.

Thats After Effects and Photoshop open side by side without even getting a second monitor.

Thats REASON and all its modules open AND the sequencer side by side with it.

Thats FL Studio and REASON open right next to each other ReWired

and good thing its running OSX and will therefore be defaulted to the proper resolution! most windows users would keep it at the default 1024x768, you would be surprised.

Oct 23 09 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

I am the manager of application development in our company and we have a sister company that is a Magazine publishing office, so obviously everyone uses a MAC there (yes the hippies in the press industry are all wearing black turtlenecks, zipping cafe latte and have the typical mindset that Macs are for the cream of the crop...LOL). Of course OS X is a joke for REAL business applications so we have been using VMWare Fusion to run XP in those machines so they have access to our LOB applications and our telephony client which only runs in Windows). We tested Parallels against Fusion and everyone loved Fusion way better. Is nicer and allows CPU multiple cores (Parallels only allows single core).

However although I love Fusion the damn thing is not color manageable. Hence if I run Photoshop in a virtual machine I cannot color manage the window, hence is useless to me. Boot camp boots in Windows natively so colour manageability is possible, plus everything runs faster. Besides, I do not want to use OS X. I have to use it at work (yikes) from time to time, so I am not new to it, but I hate it. Why? Because Mac OS is written for non-technical users (say a 3 year old or an 80 year old), I hate its simplicity. Windows or Linux are great because they are not simple to use, I am a power user so to me treating me like a baby (as OS X does) makes me unhappy. I used to be an engineer then a programmer so I like to have control of things, I like to tweak..that is why I also hate automatic cars (I have driven manual transmission for the last 20 years.. I hate to drive my wife's automatic car..as much as I hate OS X).

Oct 23 09 01:30 pm Link

Retoucher

GD - Beauty Retoucher

Los Angeles, California, US

A  month ago, i bought th 24" imac, i wasn't aware that they are coming out with a 27" version to replace the 24". sad

but i love my imac. Convenient and simple.

Oct 23 09 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

doctorontop

La Condamine, La Condamine, Monaco

Rafael Telles wrote:
Besides, I do not want to use OS X. I have to use it at work (yikes) from time to time, so I am not new to it, but I hate it. Why? Because Mac OS is written for non-technical users (say a 3 year old or an 80 year old), I hate its simplicity. Windows or Linux are great because they are not simple to use, I am a power user so to me treating me like a baby (as OS X does) makes me unhappy. I used to be an engineer then a programmer so I like to have control of things, I like to tweak..that is why I also hate automatic cars (I have driven manual transmission for the last 20 years.. I hate to drive my wife's automatic car..as much as I hate OS X).

I agree ....... smile Except about the manual transmission bit. Mac OSX causes me to feel confined. I have not seen the new mouse but I know I totally hated the old one.

Oct 23 09 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

d00dle

i'm a sucker for cool and modern (+elegant) design/look. no disrespect, but PC is just plain stupid ugly. i would be very embarrassing to carry one of those thick and ugly pc laptops around (heavy like mtf*cker)...same goes to the mp3 player and phone, i'd pick ipod over zune, iphone over blackberry or some no name brands anyday that do exactly the same thing (or better) and a lot cheaper, but they're just too dorn ugly.

Oct 23 09 04:35 pm Link

Retoucher

9stitches

Los Angeles, California, US

Rafael Telles wrote:
...Because Mac OS is written for non-technical users (say a 3 year old or an 80 year old), I hate its simplicity. Windows or Linux are great because they are not simple to use, I am a power user so to me treating me like a baby (as OS X does) makes me unhappy...

OS X can be as complicated as you want it to be. I like my built-in UNIX workstation, even though I rarely need it (but sometimes the Finder's just not up to the task).

I refused to use Macs because they were "friendly" and "happy" and "girl-friendly", and Windows was serious and Vulcan, like me. Then I started using Mac (long story; it was given to me), and suddenly Windows didn't seem so much serious, as a big old lazy a-hole. The things I didn't want my computer to do for me, I gradually expected it to do for me, and when I used Windows, I became irritated that it needed so much hand-holding.

Computers are the closest thing to the Robot Slaves that sci-fi stories have been promising for so long. I'll take the one that takes directions better and doesn't expect me to do all the work.

Honestly, Rafael I'm not sure that I'm really understanding you right. Your complaints about Mac OS sound more like Microsoft Word to me. Maybe if I were an Office power user, all the annoying presumptuous "helpfulness" I hate about Word would turn into big time savers. As of now, it's all just like UAC to me.

I will admit the differences between the two are getting fewer and fewer, and I may give Windows 7 a go; it's kind of like how Photoshop and Illustrator (or L.A. and San Diego) are gradually meeting in the middle.

Oct 23 09 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Wicked Photos

New York, New York, US

man that is gonna make things a lot more fun.

Oct 23 09 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Nice sized monitor. I have a larger than normal computer screen which is great and that I use all the time but I also have a 40 inch monitor as a back up. At the moment all I do is play dvd's on it. It can do HEAPS more and attach to many devices.

I don't understand why people would want such a big monitor for photographic work hmm

It's actually a tv screen but you can plug your computer into it and it than becomes your monitor you can also plug your DSLR into it to view your images etc...

Oct 23 09 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Raven Photography wrote:
I don't understand why people would want such a big monitor for photographic work hmm

It's actually a tv screen but you can plug your computer into it and it than becomes your monitor you can also plug your DSLR into it to view your images etc...

Its pretty much not a TV screen. No TV screens come in 2560x1440 resolution.

Even the pirates aren't uploading content to fit that resolution. And they are usually putting out higher content years ahead of consumer products. Like, i mean, for enthusiasts.

Most TV screens (especially in the budget variety), 30" to 60" have a max resolution of 1368x768 , its so annoying. If you had to use them as your computer screen you are very disappointed, unless you like less on screen real estate. Thats a major hit on the vertical resolution.

For photographic work that would be amazing, even though that still wouldn't fit a 12 megapixel image at 100%, I doubt I would use it at fullscreen for editing.

--------
On the new iMac I'm kind of disappointed at the GPU situation, and the memory configurations are wrong. DDR3 is "triple channel" memory, so to get that performance you need memory sticks in configurations of 3, so you get 6GB, 12GB... but they aren't selling that as an option. I wonder if OSX is not made to accomodate that kind of addressing.

Oct 23 09 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

d00dle wrote:
i'm a sucker for cool and modern (+elegant) design/look. no disrespect, but PC is just plain stupid ugly. i would be very embarrassing to carry one of those thick and ugly pc laptops around (heavy like mtf*cker)...same goes to the mp3 player and phone, i'd pick ipod over zune, iphone over blackberry or some no name brands anyday that do exactly the same thing (or better) and a lot cheaper, but they're just too dorn ugly.

I totally agree with you doodle, Mac laptops are the sexiest of them all.. I love Apple for creating amazing designs (I am also a sucker for the looks) but I hate the OS. But now that is possible to run Windows on Macs perfectly, then I get the best of both worlds. Apple on the outside, Microsoft on the inside..just perfect..

Plus I LOVE my iphone, I could never go back to a Blackberry even if they paid me.

Oct 23 09 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

ezpkns retouching wrote:
Honestly, Rafael I'm not sure that I'm really understanding you right. Your complaints about Mac OS sound more like Microsoft Word to me. Maybe if I were an Office power user, all the annoying presumptuous "helpfulness" I hate about Word would turn into big time savers. As of now, it's all just like UAC to me.

I will admit the differences between the two are getting fewer and fewer, and I may give Windows 7 a go; it's kind of like how Photoshop and Illustrator (or L.A. and San Diego) are gradually meeting in the middle.

I understand your point, however is very hard to change a programmer mindset. I was a C++ programmer for years, then switched to Java and loved it but then .Net came out and I found a new love. Microsoft Word on a MAC sucks serious ass, but Entourage compared to Outlook is as bad, but that is not the main reason I hate OS X. See in our company we do all our development in .Net (WinForms, WPF and more recently Silverlight) and apart from Silverlight the other two cannot be run in OS X. XCode, Object C and Cocoa are seriously a joke of development platforms compared with .Net or Java (yeah I know, a lot will say differently but we have tried to port our WPF apps to OS X using Cocoa and the limitations want to make me cry). On the other hand serious databases like Oracle or SQL Server do not run on OS X, the equivalent in OS X is Filemaker... common you got to be joking! Filemaker could be equivalent to Fox Pro..yikes...

So my point it that OS X is not a REAL business OS. Is ok for the creative people, so to use Photoshop, Final Cut, Illustrator, In Design..is great (but trust me those programs run better in Windows anyways), but for serious stuff IS NOT...

Oct 23 09 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Raven Photography wrote:

Because the more resolution you have the more productive you become (less zoom out - zoom in) plus with this resolution there is no need for a secondary screen.. I used to have two 20 inch LCD screens, then got the big 30 incher to have on ly one..now I am going to a 27 to save space with same resolution.. I love it!

Oct 23 09 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

R A V E N D R I V E

New York, New York, US

Rafael Telles wrote:
Microsoft Word on a MAC sucks serious ass

I gotta correct you on that, Microsoft REALLY messed up with Office 2007, but Office 2008 which is Mac only, has a SIMILAR 'ribbon' but much improved and tolerable, intuitive, and better.

I like Office 2008 on OSX.

You'd almost get the impression they just gave up on intuitive design on Windows.

Oct 23 09 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

to the orig poster......nice monitor!

All I need is Linux and PC, and I'm happy.  Then again, knowing Red Hat and Microsoft pays the bills, as a systems Engineer.  So for me, Mac serves no purpose.

Oct 23 09 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

Rafael Telles wrote:
Yup... I just came down from the Apple store and put a deposit to get the new 27″ LED Cinema Display..what a gorgeous display, it's way better than my Cinema HD 30" (crisper and higher pixel density). I compared them side by side at the store and the 27" wins hands down (plus is $200 cheaper)...

Now comes the best part of this monitor: It comes with a free Mac!

However I am a PC user and Windows 7 64Bit with Photoshop CS4 64bit are the best combination since sliced bread (and for those thinking Photoshop runs better on a Mac than a PC, quick note: Until CS5 is not released, Photoshop CS4 64bit only exists for Windows..hence Windows is a way better OS for image editing than OS X ..at least for CS4).

So I will test how Windows 7 64bit runs in the iMac 27" and if it runs comparable to my 18 months old i7 rig then I might actually use Mac!! Unheard off for me, cause I seriously hate Mac OS X, but the Boot Camp version in Snow Leopard seems to be the best so far, so my guess is that Windows 7 will run like a charm...

I got to admit Apple has come with a kick ass product finally since they released the iPhone of course. This iMac with Win 7 Ultimate 64x and that sweet new magic mouse (yes I tried it and that thing is the bomb) are amazing. Damn shame I cannot eliminate their crappy OS X and leave Windows by itself.. oh well nothing can be perfect 100%.

so my guess is that Windows 7 will run like a charm...

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Just like xp

Oct 23 09 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Gary L.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

PANHEAD PHOTOGRAPHY  wrote:
so my guess is that Windows 7 will run like a charm...

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Just like xp

XP ran like a charm for me.

Oct 23 09 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Post hidden on Oct 24, 2009 01:54 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Please do not make BS posts in the industry forums.

Oct 24 09 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!
Enough of the OS religious wars.

Oct 24 09 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Post hidden on Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm
Reason: violates rules