Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What does Black mean ?

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I am African, well I was born there, but I am probably the most American person in my family, and the other children were born in the States.
Black is well.... black. Black is a skin color. Black is a state of mind, a disadvantage when talking to the police. Black is a way of talking, a way of walking, even a way of dancing - Black is American music. (Anyone who knows the history of rock and roll will say that it came from R&B, music that Black people enjoyed. Elvis was discovered by a man who was looking for a white man to sing black music.) Black is a socioeconomic state, Black is being stuck in New Orleans with no car when the local government gives the order that everyone should evacuate on their own. Black is sexuality, power, athleticism. Black is criminality, poverty, and marginilization.
Black is a lot of things. I don't know how "black" I am but I am black enough for me.

Jun 14 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
Even I am bored with this topic.

you can't be serious!!!! smile

Jun 14 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
Even I am bored with this topic.

you can't be doubly serious!!!! smile

Jun 14 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

My pictures are all about juxtaposed blacks and whites. I love that word.  Juxtapose, juxtapose, juxtapose, juxtapose.  Whenever some says that with a straight face, it's hard not to burst out laughing.

Jun 14 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

REPhotography wrote:
Im not from Africa, but I have been there quite a few times, along with Spain and about 22 other countries and 6 of the 7 continents...  Spain, Portugal and Southern Italy were taken by the Moors and there influnces can still be seen today.  There is actually MORE racial problems in Europe than here in the states.  Reason being is that they dont have laws against hate groups there.  Watch any soccer game in England or Germany, count how many "SS" flags or Maltese Crosses you see. 

To the one that started the thread,  If your black, your black.  Yes there are different shades, but how many shades or red are there? yellow? brown? white?  every color has shades, there are NO PURE COLORS, they are all made from each other. 

Now, back to Africa...from being there, their biasas dont come from the differance in the skin colors of each other, but more from tribal decent and differences.

Educate yourself before you dumb yourself out of existance.

Thank you for your contribution ...I thought it interesting and informative until the last sentence - which was quite rude and uncalled for . If you wish to engage in a war of words with me I assure you that you would not  win ( in fact I would leave the battlefield entirely in search  of more productive ways to spend my time )

Jun 15 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Idaho Edokpayi wrote:
I am African, well I was born there, but I am probably the most American person in my family, and the other children were born in the States.
Black is well.... black. Black is a skin color. Black is a state of mind, a disadvantage when talking to the police. Black is a way of talking, a way of walking, even a way of dancing - Black is American music. (Anyone who knows the history of rock and roll will say that it came from R&B, music that Black people enjoyed. Elvis was discovered by a man who was looking for a white man to sing black music.) Black is a socioeconomic state, Black is being stuck in New Orleans with no car when the local government gives the order that everyone should evacuate on their own. Black is sexuality, power, athleticism. Black is criminality, poverty, and marginilization.
Black is a lot of things. I don't know how "black" I am but I am black enough for me.

Great contribution .....

But my question is - from where you born in Africa - how to they define who is Black and who is White . THat is what I am trying to find out .....

Jun 15 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Garry k wrote:
But my question is - from where you born in Africa - how to they define who is Black and who is White . THat is what I am trying to find out .....

Who do you mean by "they"? I don't think there's any one standard definition based on which everyone is categorized. It happens on an individual basis. You see a person on a street, based on your own standards of appearance, experience, and any personal prejudices, you either decide whether you consider them black or white or mixed. Same with the individual in question. Depending on their background and personal experience, they will decide which they most identify with and how they refer to themselves. When confronted with form and a list of racial categories, they'll choose whatever they identify with most. It seems that you want a precise answer, and I doubt that exists.

I don't think people in Africa are terribly concerned with Black/White categories the way, say, Americans might be, except perhaps those in South Africa. I think he pretty much answered your question when he said that tribal associations are of more importance.

Jun 15 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

Garry k wrote:
Thank you for your contribution ...I thought it interesting and informative until the last sentence - which was quite rude and uncalled for . If you wish to engage in a war of words with me I assure you that you would not  win ( in fact I would leave the battlefield entirely in such of more productive ways to spend my time )

Well thank you for that.  Because all it takes is about 2 hours in the library(trusting you know what one of those are, being is that you are so educated...) or 30 minutes on the internet to do a little research before you ask such a stupid ass question as that.  Pardon my profanity.  You are welcome for all the education that I can provide, actually you can thank the University of California Berkeley and the World for that.  So go figure out weather you want to be part of the restof the World or your own little nothingness(because what does Canada honestly do in the world?)(That was sarcasm) and stop with the idiocy.

Jun 15 06 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

REPhotography wrote:

Well thank you for that.  Because all it takes is about 2 hours in the library(trusting you know what one of those are, being is that you are so educated...) or 30 minutes on the internet to do a little research before you ask such a stupid ass question as that.  Pardon my profanity.  You are welcome for all the education that I can provide, actually you can thank the University of California Berkeley and the World for that.  So go figure out weather you want to be part of the restof the World or your own little nothingness(because what does Canada honestly do in the world?)(That was sarcasm) and stop with the idiocy.

" Do not follow a feigned Retreat"

Sun Tzu  ( THe Art of War )

So do you spend so much time in the librairy  because  artistically  you can't get  beyond taking those cheesy photographs featured on your site - or are you simply one of those perpetual student types always  studying  , always trying to impress people with your knowledge- but never  really getting anywhere ....?

Jun 15 06 11:25 pm Link

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I don't know what African people think Black is, but I doubt that they worry much about it since they are the originators of Blackness in the first place. American Blackness is a derivative an offshoot, but not in a bad way.

Jun 15 06 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

Garry k wrote:
" Do not follow a feigned Retreat"

Sun Tzu  ( THe Art of War )

So do you spend so much time in the librairy  because  artistically  you can't get  beyond taking those cheesy photographs featured on your site - or are you simply one of those perpetual student types always  studying  , always trying to impress people with your knowledge- but never  really getting anywhere ....?

Ok, you should probably take your own advice.  a la Sun Tzu.  You have, in this post, just proved your own ignorance and the need to perpetuate it.  And to answer your question, no, I have been done with college for a while.  But yes, I still feel the need to keep myself educated.  So take it for what it is, if you can understand it.  My question to you would be "Do you feel intelligent by trying to incite racial issues because you have nothing better to do, or the lack of intelligence to do anything other?"  Ok, I am done here, keep up with your stupidity and prove me right.  Have a good night.

P.S. Library, is spelled "Library" not library...

Jun 16 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

REPhotography wrote:
Ok, you should probably take your own advice.  a la Sun Tzu.  You have, in this post, just proved your own ignorance and the need to perpetuate it.  And to answer your question, no, I have been done with college for a while.  But yes, I still feel the need to keep myself educated.  So take it for what it is, if you can understand it.  My question to you would be "Do you feel intelligent by trying to incite racial issues because you have nothing better to do, or the lack of intelligence to do anything other?"  Ok, I am done here, keep up with your stupidity and prove me right.  Have a good night.

P.S. Library, is spelled "Library" not library...

Yeah I concede that spelling has never been my forte  even during my Graduate studies ( and I am too lazy to use teh spell checker except for the really big words)

So were you done with  college or was college done with you ? Did you get your diploma or did you drop out to pursue photography?

There is a big difference between discussing issues of race ( and the perception of such ) and inciting racism ...My goal in discussing issues of race is to help people and  myself to achieve a better understanding of the issues so that positive social change can be affected ... But perhaps if I am inciting you -  maybe you should just go to sleep and stay so ( figuratively not literally )

I warned you that you wouldnt win a war of words with me ( even with that cheap shot name calling )

Jun 16 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

StudioMona wrote:

you can't be doubly serious!!!! smile

Yep, serious. When I can recite by heart the argument on both sides.. it is time to find a new subject.

Jun 16 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

You are welcome for all the education that I can provide, actually you can thank the University of California Berkeley and the World for that.  So go figure out weather you want to be part of the restof the World or your own ....

Two spelling mistakes and an error in sentence structure ..........

Jun 16 06 03:48 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Electra T wrote:
is it just me or are you getting ruder by the post?

:0(.
I hope not, Electra.
I'm just saying that "Black" is a made up term and so is "White."  I don't like how people say that it's ridiculous to call people with ancestry from Africa "Black" because there are a lot of different ethnicities that come from Africa and you can't lump them all together.. And then call everyone else "White" without a second thought.
I think they're both ridiculous.  Why don't we just call people what they really are instead of just by the color of their skin [or the color of someone else's skin who happens to come from the same continent.]
I don't see what's rude about that.  :0/.

Jun 16 06 03:50 am Link