Forums > Model Colloquy > CHARGING FOR TFP

Model

maria831

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

OKAY HERES MY QUESTION, WHY IS IT THAT SOME PHOTOGRAPHERS CHARGE FOR TFP AND SOME DONT?

Jul 20 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Some are better than others.

Most published commercial photographers charge for their services.

If they meet an exceptional model, they may work out an agreement where the photographer will shoot for her portfolio and for his own work.

TFP is usually offered by amateurs and hobbyists who need models to practice with. Many guys with a camera just want to see a girl naked, so they offer TFP as well.

Jul 20 05 04:45 pm Link

Model

sassydeeva

Long Beach, California, US

The term TFP means TRADE for prints.  If someone is charging (even if they are a pro) then they are violating the idea behind a TFP.  They aren't TRADING services, they are charging....

Jul 20 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

SML photography

San Diego, California, US

who knows. if you want to shoot let me know.  i live in bayside queens and shoot in the city. i won't charge you TFP. 
cheers
scott

Jul 20 05 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

photochrisaz

Queen Valley, Arizona, US

jackasses......... obviously they have no clue as to what they are doing much less understand the concept of tfp. it is just that T is for time, F is for, and P is for prints. so it is supposed to be a collaboration of model and photorapher so they may BOTH benefit from the shoot. nuff said?

Jul 20 05 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Some may also charge a reduced rate, giving you images and copyright useage ( mostly for promo purposes such as web, comps, etc ), and perhaps even a print or 2. The reduced rate being far less then a normal session fee. And under most situations, you probably wouldn't have any rights to copyright.

Reason being, a photographer has far more work to do after the shoot then the model.. A 3-4 hour shoot may entail another 2-4 hours of edit work..

Jul 20 05 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Chris:  jackasses......... obviously they have no clue as to what they are doing much less understand the concept of tfp. it is just that T is for time, F is for, and P is for prints. so it is supposed to be a collaboration of model and photorapher so they may BOTH benefit from the shoot. nuff said?

this post is very telling.....

Jul 20 05 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Chris: 
jackasses......... obviously they have no clue as to what they are doing much less understand the concept of tfp. it is just that T is for time, F is for, and P is for prints. so it is supposed to be a collaboration of model and photorapher so they may BOTH benefit from the shoot. nuff said?

Well I wouldn't charge if I were you either.

Jul 20 05 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

But Doug, is it a good story?? 

Jul 20 05 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Keith aka Wolfie: 
Reason being, a photographer has far more work to do after the shoot then the model.. A 3-4 hour shoot may entail another 2-4 hours of edit work..

Yes, and I hate doing Photoshop.

Jul 20 05 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I'm shocked, Herb!!  I so thought your stuff came out of the camera all perfect; no editing needed...  My bubble is burst..

LOL!!  Couldn't resist!! 

Jul 20 05 05:06 pm Link

Model

maria831

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

THANKS EVERYONE FOR RESPONDING! I COULDNT UNDERSTAND!

Jul 20 05 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I'm shocked, Herb!!  I so thought your stuff came out of the camera all perfect; no editing needed...  My bubble is burst..

LOL!!  Couldn't resist!!   

I like to have my cake and eat it too!

Lately they come out pretty good because I realized getting it right (or as close to right as I know) was easier in the long run, but zits are zits!

Jul 20 05 05:10 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Maybe they have a stylist or makeup artist to work with.   Maybe they want a high quality shot not just SAMO,  same old shit coming out of the shoot.    Maybe the stylist or makeup artist needs some cash for materials or just won't work completely free just on principle with someone new.  Maybe the same for the photographer.   Maybe the model is just not that great.   Maybe the model will not end up in the photographers portfolio so why do completely free,  the photograper or crew may actually be doing the model a favor by not charging full rate.
Even an assistant photographer,  stylist,  makeup artist makes around $225 to $250 a day in NY city.   Maybe they do not want to pay for lunch given all of the above.   Maybe something broke and needs to be fixed.   Maybe one photographer is in demand and another is not.

Jul 20 05 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

just an fyi-

as mentioned tfp means time/trade for prints. it's a term that evolved on the net. irl we call it a test but there are two kinds of tests and tfp helps make it clear what the difference is.

generally a test shoot is tfp. when a working photographer shoots a test it's usually a trade. paid tests are usually done by photographers who do a chunk of business doing portfolio work, or a working photographer approached by someone who is looking for a specific kind of image for their book. sometimes the payment just covers expenses (but with so many shooting digitally much of that is moot).  otherwise the fee is just that--a shoot fee.

i don't do paid because i don't have the time to shoot something i don't want in my book. (irl, photographers have hard copy portfolios to drop with art directors/buyers and editors. it's referred to as a book. thought i'd share that because a lot of internet based models aren't familiar with the term.) so as others have mentioned if you are supposed to be doing tfp and you are being asked for money, the photographer isn't doing tfp!

Jul 20 05 05:25 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

TFP is a strange internet term to begin with as mentioned.   Someone here came up with the letters SFC which is often a more workable term.
Often real profit is not made in doing these shoots but costs can vary widely as can quality of shoot even from the same people.

Jul 20 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tropical Photography

Sarasota, Florida, US

"so as others have mentioned if you are supposed to be doing tfp and you are being asked for money, the photographer isn't doing tfp!"

Isn't the time in question, the time the model spends in front of the camera and the photographer spends behind the Camera??  In my book that doesn't include editing time.. With film, you dropped the film off, got the 4x6's, gave them to the model and be done.. Ok, another trip to have some 8x10's if you made that part of the deal..

Digital means that the photographer is now doing a good chunk of what the lab did.. The model is still doing the same thing as in the days of film when the shoot ended.. NADA.. And cost to mail images/disks out?? 

The overall cost to the photographer is far greater then the model, unless of course she has hired a MUA.. I see no issue with putting a small fee and still calling it TFP. In most cases, the model gets more rights to the images, more time and probably more overall images then if she had hired the photographer..

Just my .05 cents... 

Jul 20 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I don't normally charge for TFP if I do a TFP shoot BUT, if you want to shoot in the studio I do ask for a studio fee which isn't much, $50 to $75. If you can't come up with that kind of money for studio time, I will normally wait to contact you until I have a shoot in the studio and I'll ask you to if you want to come. You as the model may have to wait a long long time until the paying shoot is over, but that's a choice you'll have to make.

Many many many models forget that once they leave the shoot the shoot is not actually over. For every 1 hour I spend on a shoot, I spend an additional hour after the shoot, so if we TFP for 3 hours, I'll spend another 3 hours after the shoot with the images, meanwhile the model is home chill'n watch'n Desperate Housewifes.

If you get a cd from a photographer right after your shoot is over and that's it, that situation would give me pause as a model. But that's just me.

Holla

Jul 20 05 06:12 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

The only real problem with charging for a shoot and calling it TFP is condfusion.  It's fine to charge full rates, or reduced rates, but you might as well call it Frank as call it TFP. It's a paid test.

Jul 20 05 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

"so as others have mentioned if you are supposed to be doing tfp and you are being asked for money, the photographer isn't doing tfp!"

Isn't the time in question, the time the model spends in front of the camera and the photographer spends behind the Camera??  In my book that doesn't include editing time.. With film, you dropped the film off, got the 4x6's, gave them to the model and be done.. Ok, another trip to have some 8x10's if you made that part of the deal..

well, maybe that's how some people do it but not anyone i know. i shoot film and so do a lot of the photographers i know. i've never dropped off film and gave someone a mess of proofs and said, "good luck."

if i'm going to give a model prints (and if prints are the thing s/he only gets two or three tops) then i am taking the time to make the prints. that's part of my job. so is editing them digitally. because most of my work is shot on type 55 i have to process the negs and clear, wash and dry them before i even get to scan them.

but clearly we are talking about two different approaches. any tfp i shoot is clearly for my benefit as well as the model. i don't do portfolio mill work, so the final images i give the model are the same images i would likely be using for my book. the advent of digital cameras has led to people dumping a thousand images on a cd and handing them off to models.  even when all we shot was film i've never seen a photographer just give a model a bunch of chromes and send her on her way.

if you are doing "portfolio factory" then i guess that's fine. if i do work with a model they know i'm not going to shoot 600 frames. they also know i will only be giving them the best of the images from our collaboration. again--just a different way to work.

um...i think we just got off topic...  what was that original question again maria?  wink

Jul 20 05 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Eldor

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
Many many many models forget that once they leave the shoot the shoot is not actually over. For every 1 hour I spend on a shoot, I spend an additional hour after the shoot, so if we TFP for 3 hours, I'll spend another 3 hours after the shoot with the images, meanwhile the model is home chill'n watch'n Desperate Housewifes.

You guys are amazing!  How the heck do you possibly manage that 1:1 (hour in studio & hour after the shoot) ratio?  Not including the archiving and cataloging of images after a shoot, I easily/routinely spend anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour PER IMAGE that I process.  A "typical" glamour shot for me ends up with 8-12 (sometimes even more) layers in PhotoShop, but boy, the results are worth the effort (IMHO).

So, for a 3 hour shoot, if I were to ONLY spend another 3 hours (again, not including the essential archiving, backing up, cataloging, etc.) I'd only be able to deliver between 3 and 6 "finished" images.  To keep that 1:1 time ratio.

I MUST be doing something wrong!

Eldor

Jul 20 05 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I only do testing, tears and paid assignments. TFP doesn't exist in my world anymore.

Jul 20 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Some new internet models think photographers only do TFP or pay models.

When a photographer gives them a rate, they wonder why the photographer charges for TFP, since the only other option besides TFP is to pay the model.

My original reply didn't make any assumptions about the photographer or model.

My question is how much longer will this thread continue?

Jul 20 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I can make it longer. I want to mention that I DO TFP. Why? Cause I hate just sitting around doing nothing and I still can't figure out how to make money at this (outside weddings and glamour)

Star

Jul 20 05 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

LOL!!  Couldn't resist!!   

I like to have my cake and eat it too!

Lately they come out pretty good because I realized getting it right (or as close to right as I know) was easier in the long run, but zits are zits!

I'm sooo glad I wasn't eating dinner when I read this post..OMFG Herb, you crack me up. (read your tag dude).

I've just started back shooting RAW and as you can tell I don't spend much time in PS making all the fancy filters and changing the way my photos look.
I shoot them to look like the model. Strange concept but that’s what I like doing.

For TFP, this is all I do and I don't only work with "models" I work or create photographs of friends and such.

And my printer died so it's TFCD for me any more.

Craig

Jul 20 05 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

[b]You guys are amazing!  How the heck do you possibly manage that 1:1 (hour in studio & hour after the shoot) ratio?  Not including the archiving and cataloging of images after a shoot, I easily/routinely spend anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour PER IMAGE that I process.  A "typical" glamour shot for me ends up with 8-12 (sometimes even more) layers in PhotoShop, but boy, the results are worth the effort (IMHO).

So, for a 3 hour shoot, if I were to ONLY spend another 3 hours (again, not including the essential archiving, backing up, cataloging, etc.) I'd only be able to deliver between 3 and 6 "finished" images.  To keep that 1:1 time ratio.

I MUST be doing something wrong!

Eldor

Maybe I'll stay a hobbiest, when I shoot at the club in Seattle, I shoot from 200-400 images or 5-7 different people (models) and after uploading, sorting and editing/burning disc for distribution, I may spend 6 hours post shoot on the computer.
It showes in my photos, I know but 30 mins per image?...are you using an 8086 or a 386?

Craig

Jul 20 05 07:49 pm Link

Model

Rylee Blair

Galena, Maryland, US

Some charge a small fee to recover any costs, film, gas, studio fees, etc and to make sure the model is truley serious about working. Although not all of us can afford it if there is a really good photographer that we want to work with we don't mind saving a little bit of money for really good images.

SHana

Jul 20 05 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Eugene Wilson

Cass City, Michigan, US

The only time I ever heard of a charge that came with a a TFP was to cover the cost of a MUA and Hairstylist. Alot of people play games about TFP and I heard a few doing it with TFCD. Make sure to see if you are getting all the prints or a % of the prints. Same with the TFCD all or a %. Have it in black and white and on the Models Release. If it is not on the Release walk out the door models!!!!!

Jul 20 05 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Dunoff

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Up until 2 years ago when I shot a model, it was always a trade for services unless it was a job.  My criteria for shooting a model on a job is and was very different than who I would do a test with.  Once the online thing started the terminology seemed to change from test to TFP.   I still shoot them but now call it a TFP.  Same act different name. 

If I charge a model for a shoot it is a different scenario, she is a client and I shoot exactly what she asks for. (not always the most creative or exciting photography)  if I shoot a test or TFP I am primarily shooting for myself, the model will get far more interesting work from one of these shoots, the caveat however is that I want to work with her, and my reasons for doing it are because I think I may be able to get something good enough to be in my portfolio.  Beauty is not always the prime requirement.  Currently I am working on a series of images and I want to shoot with a number of different types of women.  The age range has been 18 for the youngest and 51 for the oldest,  there is also a range of shapes and builds and different ethnicities.  It really all depends on if I think the model has something to offer that I am interested in.

Rich

Jul 20 05 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chip York Photography

Lovettsville, Virginia, US

I here ya’ll, ya winers.

Yes I do TFP, because I understand it model talk for no fee charged. Yes, I spend 3 hours in Photoshop for every hour in the studio, but hey I am a little OC.  We photographer have cameras, strobes and etc that we hemorrhage money on.  But  its not like the TFP job we do don’t help us make money in the end.  If they don’t, then don’t do them. But don’t lie if you’re charging, or con a model into paying for your test materials.  It give all photographers a bad name.   

Yah and being a model is so easy and cheap, they just show up, play and leave .  You don’t have to excise, have weekly hair, nail and was appointments.  Or buy wardrobe, make-up, eat right or not eat(and wreck their health). Because we’re all taking pictures of 98 year old, hard drink’en, chain smokes, who has body hair like a yetty and is in a grain sack.

Jul 20 05 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Crismond Photos

SICKLERVILLE, New Jersey, US

Posted by maria831: 
WHY IS IT THAT SOME PHOTOGRAPHERS CHARGE FOR TFP AND SOME DONT?

Real quick, because they are trying to make quick buck off of potential models. They prey on the people who don't know better.

TFP/CD is a trade between model & photographer. There are photogs in my area who entice models with TFCD, but the CD only contains 6 images (out of 100). If you want the rest, you pay!

I use TFCD as my form of test shoot. If I'm interested in using you in the future, I will test with you. This way you get quality images for your port and I get to see how you work. If it's a beneficial shoot, I will have confidence to recommend you for a paid shoot.

Back to the topic, if a shooter uses the word TFP/CD then quotes you a price, BEWARE>...you are being taken for a ride!

Jul 20 05 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

I wish models would take this into consideration.

Jul 20 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by Mark Crismond Photos: 
Real quick, because they are trying to make quick buck off of potential models. They prey on the people who don't know better.

TFP/CD is a trade between model & photographer. There are photogs in my area who entice models with TFCD, but the CD only contains 6 images (out of 100). If you want the rest, you pay!

Back to the topic, if a shooter uses the word TFP/CD then quotes you a price, BEWARE>...you are being taken for a ride!

I beg to differ with much of this response, only because what ride would they be taken for? Many point and shoot photographers could care less about how many shots they take or hand off to the model right after the shoot is done. These are the guys who take 500 pictures per shoot in search of that 1 gem.

Photographers that take the time to retouch images are not interested in retouching 100 images for free, so if the model gets 6 retouched images out of 100 of the same outfit don't you think that's enough? How many more do you really need? AND why do you need 94 more untouched images, a standard release wouldn't allow anyone else to retouch the images anyway.

Some trusted models are allowed to retouch my dirty images, but not very many. I afford you to choose 3 of the best images from a set that you want retouched the real question is, you may never ever even use those 3.

I tell models before we start shooting, don't expect me to take hundreds of pictures of you. If I take more than 20 in one outfit, that's a lot! They often understand and if out 20, 10 are keepers, and of those 10, you pick 3 to touched up, you're well on your way to having a pretty nice book.

I would assume many photographers don't have studios so they don't really know what it costs to run one, especially on a shoot day when it's 95 degrees out and they have to cool a 2000+ square foot studio. I can assure you that it's not cheap. I can also assure you that having a model not sweating like pig, squinting to keep her eyes open while she fights the sun, is well worth a small studio fee, if you ask most.

Jul 21 05 03:24 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Gotta agree with EMG here. 6 out of 100 is a pretty good number for a typical shoot. Any more would be redundant. still, I want them to be the six of my choice.

Jul 21 05 04:06 pm Link

Model

SaraElisabeth

New York, New York, US

ok i was gonna thread hijack a bit... but i made my own thread instead.  ;p

Jul 26 05 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Lars KC

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Posted by Chris: 

Thank god someone in the thread knows what they're talking about.

Jul 26 05 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Eldor

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted by CThomson: 

Maybe I'll stay a hobbiest, when I shoot at the club in Seattle, I shoot from 200-400 images or 5-7 different people (models) and after uploading, sorting and editing/burning disc for distribution, I may spend 6 hours post shoot on the computer.
It showes in my photos, I know but 30 mins per image?...are you using an 8086 or a 386?

Craig

Craig, it's obvious by looking at the photos on your portfolio that what you say above is true.  Since it doesn't look like any skin softening was done or blemish romoval, I can understand that you have no clue about why someone would/could spend 30 minutes (or even longer) per image to produce the best possible result.

In any case, I wouldn't dream of doing such work on 200-400 images from a shoot... like many others here, I only pick the best one or two from any outfit and process those. 

Eldor

Jul 26 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

H. Robert Holmes

TALL TIMBERS, Maryland, US

Posted by Chip York: 
I here ya’ll, ya winers.

Yes I do TFP, because I understand it model talk for no fee charged. Yes, I spend 3 hours in Photoshop for every hour in the studio, but hey I am a little OC.  We photographer have cameras, strobes and etc that we hemorrhage money on.  But  its not like the TFP job we do don’t help us make money in the end.  If they don’t, then don’t do them. But don’t lie if you’re charging, or con a model into paying for your test materials.  It give all photographers a bad name.   

Yah and being a model is so easy and cheap, they just show up, play and leave .  You don’t have to excise, have weekly hair, nail and was appointments.  Or buy wardrobe, make-up, eat right or not eat(and wreck their health). Because we’re all taking pictures of 98 year old, hard drink’en, chain smokes, who has body hair like a yetty and is in a grain sack.

LMAO!!

Jul 26 05 09:28 am Link

Model

Jen-E

Nashville, Tennessee, US

TFP=trade for print. exactly as it sounds and no charge. These are what are mostly in my port. I have hired a photographer to take port pics for me...which included the shots I wanted, the outfits I wanted, the poses I wanted...he really had no say so....kind of like when a photographer pays me to model, I really don't have my say in what kind of shots I'm doing.

If a photographer does TFP, it's to improve his port as well, which means they will be excellent pictures and you both can share ideas about what each of you are looking for to add to your port. If you pay them, then it's just like going to Olan Mills for a family picture, you pick out the shots you want and buy them...they're yours to do what you want and the photographer didn't gain from the shoot except cash money.

Jul 26 05 12:29 pm Link

Model

hautecouture

Irvine, California, US

Mutually beneficial. Has nothing to do with whether they have been published or not. I have worked with many "published" photographers that like my look and feel that I can add to their portfolio. THerefore we collaborate and do TFP or TFCD. No charge, but magnificent photos that would have cost hundreds.

Jul 26 05 12:36 pm Link