Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Jefferson cries "Race"

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Rep. William Jefferson was voted off the ways and means chairmanship by the House Dems.
Now he says race was a factor. Do you believe him?

Jun 16 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

I don't know that race was a factor, but they should not have done anything until he was indicted.

Jun 16 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

The race card will play well with his base but he should take lessons from others that seem to have run into these types of problems and turned the public support so well in their favor problems slipped away.

Deflect the message and attack the messenger.

Of course it is the "drive by media's' fault. The FBI (a part of the executive branch and we know who runs that) went after him because they have a political agenda. Say it very loud say it very often ... then it becomes the truth. Of course remind the people that the other party always keeps lots of cash around for emergencies. When you're arrested; then again say the prosecutor is a political hack with an agenda.

I'm just thinking the "Bill and Hillary did it first thing" won't work here for him.

Jun 16 06 11:44 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Finding $90K in cash stuffed in his freezer ... two aides indicted for abetting bribery ...

Sure, I'd pull out the race card.

Classic obfuscation.

Jun 16 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Mayanlee wrote:
Finding $90K in cash stuffed in his freezer ... two aides indicted for abetting bribery ...

Sure, I'd pull out the race card.

Classic obfuscation.

The evidence does not look good for him, does it? wink

Jun 16 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:
I don't know that race was a factor, but they should not have done anything until he was indicted.

They didn't remove him from the house, only from the ways and means commitee. I can't see anything that smacks of racism in the whole affair. "Sauce for the goose", ya know?

Jun 16 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

No he was a greedy Mofo who needs to go to jail.  Men like this make us all
look bad and using race is despicable.

Jun 16 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Lens N Light wrote:

They didn't remove him from the house, only from the ways and means commitee. I can't see anything that smacks of racism in the whole affair. "Sauce for the goose", ya know?

No, but they did not remove him for being convicted, which is the litmus test for 'guilt' in this country, nor did they remove him for being indicted, which is the actual congressional rule for those things. They did it for appearance.

Jun 16 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

He was removed by the democrat party I do believe right?   The sound bytes I heard involved various democratics reading the standard talking points about holding there members (Democrats) to a "higher standard" (I'm assuming they meant a higher standard than the Republican party.....)

Sounds like an attempt by the democrats to gain some points....

And of course he's going to scream race.....if your black and get in trouble, that seems to be the standard defense if your a politician....

Jun 16 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

well since he's a dem himself, he couldn't very well use the standard pol's defense: 'partisan politics'

Jun 16 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Mikel Featherston wrote:

No, but they did not remove him for being convicted, which is the litmus test for 'guilt' in this country, nor did they remove him for being indicted, which is the actual congressional rule for those things. They did it for appearance.

Well, any commitee member can be remove from a position that he was selected for by his party by the choice of that party. I agree, however, that they should give him the benefitmofmthe doubt until he is inmdicted.
He was, however, treated no more harshly than Tom Delay who has never been indicted either.

Jun 16 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

Lens N Light wrote:

Well, any commitee member can be remove from a position that he was selected for by his party by the choice of that party. I agree, however, that they should give him the benefitmofmthe doubt until he is inmdicted.
He was, however, treated no more harshly than Tom Delay who has never been indicted either.

Actually, DeLay WAS indicted, in Texas.

Jun 16 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

remember Tom De Lay , repub hero.

what was his excuse ?

Come on, a crook is a crook.
the $90K was green. that is prejudice right there.

Were the repubs quick to chase DeLay away. No, only when public opinion said he was a liability.

This issue is getting rid of him quickly so that they can control who will replace him.

That committee is the $$$$$$ committee.

Jun 16 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Lens N Light wrote:

Not that it applies here, but as a point of interest:  Congress members cannot remove one of their own members from either house.  The Supreme Court has ruled that once you're elected to Congress, you're entitled to take your seat, debate, vote on bills, etc.  It would be unconstitutional for members to "vote" you out, based on whatever criteria, and thus deprive the members of your district who elected you of the representation that the Constitution guarantees them.

Jun 16 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

It was his fault for having $90K. If you steal , steal big like the republicans, $millions

Jun 16 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
It was his fault for having $90K. If you steal , steal big like the republicans, $millions

Right, but as you know, it's not just Republicans.  If you steal entire nations, continents, histories, civilizations and peoples, why then you get to write the history books, and you can re-define "stealing" so it doesn't apply to what you did.  Now, that's stealing!   smile

Jun 16 06 04:28 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

I'm with Tony. It's disgraceful and it undermines the struggles of the people out there who are genuinely fighting racism.

Jun 16 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
I'm with Tony. It's disgraceful and it undermines the struggles of the people out there who are genuinely fighting racism.

We - all of us - elect our reps based on them saying what we want to hear, not based on their character, which we can't divine from their speeches.  Sadly, we often don't find out about their character issues until they're in the seats of power.

Jun 16 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

qphotonyc

New York, New York, US

it seems like rep jefferson was already a liability to the dems:
his katrina shenanegans:
http://www.abcnews.go.com/US/HurricaneK … 495&page=1

Jun 16 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Vivus Denuo wrote:

We - all of us - elect our reps based on them saying what we want to hear, not based on their character, which we can't divine from their speeches.  Sadly, we often don't find out about their character issues until they're in the seats of power.

To further complicate matters, their character at the time they are elected may be quite different than their character once they're in power.

It's a crapshoot. I mean, I try to stay informed, but beyond that I have no choice but to go with my gut.

Jun 16 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Vivus Denuo wrote:

That doesn't work for me. I look at a cabdidate's voting record, or his public stance in the past (if I don't know him/her). No matter what they say in a speech, their past record will rule.
(Beware of Hillary.)

Jun 16 06 09:12 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

Lens N Light wrote:

That doesn't work for me. I look at a cabdidate's voting record, or his public stance in the past (if I don't know him/her). No matter what they say in a speech, their past record will rule.
(Beware of Hillary.)

Do you actually have time to check out everyone's voting record? I feel overwhelmed as it is.

Jun 16 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

No.

And he won't be gone soon enough for this New Orleanian. Bill Jefferson and the rest of his family have long been considered by many around here to be as crooked as Lombard St. in San Francisco. Bye, bye Bill - we are finally getting rid of you!

P.S: Keep the cell all tidied up for Marc - rumor has it that he will be next.

Jun 16 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

*we're cleaning house*

Jun 17 06 07:16 am Link