Forums > Model Colloquy > Photographers here's a question????

Model

Jennifer Elayne

Detroit, Michigan, US

Usually if a photograper wants to test shoot you for potential work to be submitted to well known magazines....aren't they suppose to supply everything? Such as MAU, stylists etc.....Just wondering!!!!!!!!

Jul 21 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

there are no rules on the internet...you get what you negotiate..

Jul 21 05 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

For one thing is he is testing for a publication, it means he doesn't have the assignment....and yes he should have the MUA/ Stylist..usually the publication hires those not so much the photographer....there is always a budget.

Jul 21 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

If the photographer is seeking the test for submittal, then yes. 

But also, do not expect to receive any images.  If the photographer truly understands the process then releasing images beforehand that might be uploaded elsewhere might constitute a void in any subsequent publishing agreement.

Do the test with the expectation of a tear-sheet or re-shoot if the idea behind the test is accepted.

Jul 21 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Posted by J Elayne: 
Usually if a photograper wants to test shoot you for potential work to be submitted to well known magazines....aren't they suppose to supply everything? Such as MAU, stylists etc.....Just wondering!!!!!!!!

So many people ask questions like this as if there are hard/fast rules that must apply to 100% of all situations.

Are they "supposed" to supply everything? Of course not.

Would it be smart/nice if they did? Of course it would.

Might they ask you to get a MUA? Maybe.

Photography is like Thunderdome.

"Two men enter! One man leaves!"

Oh ... Wait ... Wrong rule. I meant to say:

"The rules are, there are no rules."

Jul 21 05 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

No. The key word here is "potential" and there is no shoot needed unless the submitter already has something lined up or if he's shooting stock.

Basically what you're saying is your hoping the photographer may use you in a future submission. Why, if there is no publication being specifically submitted to at the time would he/she waste money on something that may go nowhere?
If there were a specific submission to a certain publication then the shoot would be done in the proper style of the publication. That can't be done shooting on spec.

If you know of photogs that make a lot of submissions to various publications then you would send them your zed card and they will use that as a reference for possibly using you in the future.

Have you invested in your zed cards yet so this can be done? Is your physical portfolio complete and up to date?

I know I've left some stuff out and things can vary. This is just some basic stuff cause I'm just too tired to go into more or into details. Everyone else just keep chiming in here to answer J.

Jul 21 05 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

I think you hit a keyword point here Gary, and whether the test imaging might be used for "stock."  If the photographer is considering a submission to a major stock house and wishes to include a professional level image utilizing a model then by rights a MUA should be provided that will bring the level to acceptable standard.

Images created for select magazines would also require nothing short of professional standard for assignment consideration.

It's the old adage, "one only has a single chance to make a strong first impression."  While the Internet may not pose strict rules, a photographer must adhere to certain standards for acceptance consideration at levels beyond.  This may mean investing in the means necessary to do the job properly, not just breaking rules to "get by" to satisfy the less scrutinizing Internet crowd.

Whose motivation of the "test" is really the point in question and with that comes the responsibility of the outcome.

Jul 21 05 11:12 pm Link

Model

Jennifer Elayne

Detroit, Michigan, US

I thank everyone for their input. I just wanted to hear from the photogrpahers point of view. Of course, this stuff is not written in stone...I just wanted to hear what is usually required....

Jul 21 05 11:27 pm Link