Forums > Model Colloquy > Photo Release?

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Santa Rosalía, Baja California Sur, Mexico

OK.. model release, got one.
Now... been Googling but still havent found the right form to give over the rights (partially, totaly, or anything in between...) to the image to the model...
Say in a TFP/CD situation... how does the model walk away and know that he/she has the right to use the image as stated in a "photo release"?

Sorry for the NB ?. . .. but everyone's gotta start from somewhere right...?

Jul 23 05 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

I don't know how many others follow what I do, but I have them sign a standard release and then provide them with a partial waiver of copyright form that allows them to pretty much do what they like with the pics. I'm of the mind that both parties should benefit from TFPCD/testing. I figure I'll do this until someone abuses the trust (I have a rather dim view of human nature so I'm sure this will happen sooner than later).

Jul 23 05 12:51 am Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Hah! interesting. I share that view.
K.O., Ill look into finding myself a waiver of copyright form..
Thanks Boyd.

Jul 23 05 06:01 am Link

Photographer

TheLeicaGuy

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

What you want to do is grant them a non exclusive license to use the photos for non commercial promotional purposes.

A license is a right to use that is revocable at any time with notice.

Therefore, if the model does something that you do not like - you can revoke the license and their use must stop.

Waiver of copyright is a bad idea - because you will lose protection of your images. You want to give them a right to use the images - without infringing upon your own rights and protections.

I hope this has helped.

Jul 23 05 08:39 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Posted by Jack Silver: 
What you want to do is grant them a non exclusive license to use the photos for non commercial promotional purposes.

A license is a right to use that is revocable at any time with notice.

Therefore, if the model does something that you do not like - you can revoke the license and their use must stop.

Waiver of copyright is a bad idea - because you will lose protection of your images. You want to give them a right to use the images - without infringing upon your own rights and protections.

I hope this has helped.

ditto

Jul 23 05 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

Mr and Mrs Huber

Thanks to all the above! This is the kind of thing that makes being a part of a new and growing site rewarding.

Noah.

Jul 23 05 01:32 pm Link