Forums > General Industry > bodypainting

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

who does it and who is interested in it? Who wants to see tutorials and where are good tutorials? I have done a few workshops, but I am curious to see how many of us there are on this site, etc. etc. and what people think.
-bryan

Jul 25 05 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Downin

Salem, Oregon, US

I'd love to see any tutorials/tips people would like to post.  I've experimented a bit with printing, but never airbrushing.  I'd love to see thoughts on what types of paints work best.

Jul 25 05 08:34 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

I think it's a good idea to list rules for models too. I just did a promo last week and the other two girls had no clue what was involved and things you need to do ie: bend knees to keep from fainting and to eat before being painted. One girl almost passed out and I had to give her my power bar. Also, tips on how to get different types of paint off!

Jul 25 05 09:49 pm Link

Model

Holly T Morgan

Garland, Texas, US

I am most definately interested in this..I am currently working with a photographer in Houston on a body painting shoot!! I am really looking forward to this one...any tips, advice, pointers, or links to good sites would be much appreciated!!!!

holly

Jul 26 05 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

Howdy Folks !

Being a veteran of many bodypainting shoots amd working with one of the best BP artists....It is a fun shoot ! But not every model can be bodypainted... if you cant sit still for 2 hours or be comfortable totally naked on front of the artist as he paints literally every square inch of your body ... it may not be for you...

As far as the paint itself.. the artist i work with uses paint that is literally liquid makeup... in many colors and shades... 90% of paint is airbrushed on.. with details being done by hand with old fashioned hair type brush..

Paint washes off easily with soap and water... never have had any complaints of skin irritation or the like..

All that said, when you see yourself transformed into a work of art.. it is amazing... those models who like to be painted...... like to be painted..

Couple samples here on MM.. more on my OMP site # 15759

Email or call anytime if you have any questions.. smile

Happy Holidays !

Mikey

Jul 26 05 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I am very interested in learning more about bodypainting. I have some liquid latex, but I'm having problems finding them in various colors, and airbrushing.  Thanks for posting this thread!

-Jennifer Maria

Jul 26 05 08:31 pm Link

Model

Shayuma

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Posted by Naomi Jay: 
I think it's a good idea to list rules for models too. I just did a promo last week and the other two girls had no clue what was involved and things you need to do ie: bend knees to keep from fainting and to eat before being painted. One girl almost passed out and I had to give her my power bar. Also, tips on how to get different types of paint off! 

Wow, I've never heard of that Naomi. Why is that, you have my curiousity peaked.

Jul 26 05 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bryan Crump

Posted by Naomi Jay: 

I agree more models shoudl be informed, I brief the models before the shoot but am working on something for print and my website to be better informative on how long it takes for what. The bad thing is, each design takes a different amount of time and some stuff takes along time. Longest painting session i have done was about 6 hours, but the model kept moving and talking a lot, lol. , if you have any ideas i am open to them and welcome the input.
-Bryan

Jul 28 05 03:34 pm Link

Model

Ms. Isadora V.

Columbus, Ohio, US

I definitely agree that a model should be prepared to stay in position while getting painted.

I relate it to sitting and being inked by one of my favorite artists.  You move, it could create mistakes in the image.

Jul 28 05 05:55 pm Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I've been painted twice so far and love it.  First time was head to toe took 1 1/2 hour by 4 people with brushes.  Second time was just front torso took about 4 hours by 1 person with a brush.  I've never had an air brush used on me.  First was regular latex house paint.  It came off easy in the shower, non-toxic and water based.  Second was a make-up.  It came off easily in the shower too.  I had to use a little cold cream on some stubborn spots. 

Jul 28 05 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mark - SydelineWorks

Wexford, Pennsylvania, US

Count me in!!  I'd like to do some painted shoots.......... and my son does a bit of airbrushing and is practicing some ideas which we'll develop for use on ladies.  Any tips/advice/websites/materials would be appreciated!!

Jul 29 05 12:38 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Karen Cleveland

Shelton, Washington, US

I would definitly be interested.  I have recently purchased an inexpensive airbrush just to try, but am having a hard time with what paints to use, how to thin them etc......

Jul 29 05 10:17 pm Link

Model

Shayden

Delmar, Delaware, US

As a model for Mikey on some of his bodypainting shoots,I can attest that he is correct with the things he has spoken about.  I have been painted 4 times, American Flag, Eyeball, Bike pic, which are posted here on MM and another image with an eagle on my back.  The paint washes off easily.  The image "Stone Cold" that is posted on here is full body makeup that I did have an allergic reation to.  Like Mikey said, the models usually enjoy being painted, and Jim Brando who Mikey uses is one of the most professional, respectful person I know.  On a side note,  a benefit of being painted is,  it feels really good, LOL.  If anyone would like to ask me questions about being painted, please contact me on MM.  Have a great weekend.  Yours in images, Shayden

Jul 30 05 07:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

Merrillville, Indiana, US

Hi!  I'm a bodypainter on this site...but I have thus far worked the old fashioned way- regular brush and bodypaint.  I have never used airbrush..yet...though I would love to learn.  I have done full body and small details as well.  I love the body as canvas for art.
Hoping to buy myself an airbrush kit for my birthday... smile ...and start playing with it a bit...

Aug 06 05 10:03 am Link

Photographer

BobinAtlanta

Smyrna, Delaware, US

Posted by Pinky: 
I've been painted twice so far and love it.  First time was head to toe took 1 1/2 hour by 4 people with brushes.  Second time was just front torso took about 4 hours by 1 person with a brush.  I've never had an air brush used on me.  First was regular latex house paint.  It came off easy in the shower, non-toxic and water based.  Second was a make-up.  It came off easily in the shower too.  I had to use a little cold cream on some stubborn spots.   

This is true. I painted a string bikini on a model a few months back ( will have to find the pics I took ), and I used outside type housepaint & brushes...babyblue & yellow were the colors...The straps were painted in the back, and small "ties" painted on the side. It took about 2 hours to do it & she was VERY patient, but I can see how others might get impatient. Also, being shaved is very important ( not just the crotch, but all places where paint is applied )...and she did complain of "irritation" around the lips, but mainly because she had JUST shaven prior to the paint being applied. It comes off fairly easy, and stubborn areas can be cleaned with babyoil or cold cream.

The end result was amazing...from about 10 feet away, you would swear it was real, but she was completely nude.

Aug 07 05 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Leah Rice

Elkridge, Maryland, US

I became interested in body painting several years ago. I finally had the opportunity to aid in the entire process, soon going solo. It is truly an amazing feeling having a human canvas, dozens of colors of paints including metallics.

I do not airbrush, never had an interest in airbrushing anyone. I want to have it hands on, literally. I use small sponges, fingers and hands to apply the paint. I will dab, pat and smear paint and some times squirt it right from the bottle onto the skin to get a special effect.

All the models I have worked with, male and female, have stated they have not felt nude, they felt they had some type of covering on.

My sessions run roughly 2.5-4 hours from start to clean up. Depending on design. And believe it or not, it is very hard to find models interested in experiencing this, even on a TFCD basis. Even being a female photographer, this often does not put the model at ease.

I can understand that body painting is not your typical strut down the runway but it is an art, there is posing, often strenious at times. After the shoots and we do a slide show, the models are blown away by what they see, image after image of them posed in a not so natural way, showing creativity, the human form and the love of expression.

Aug 07 05 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Leah Rice

Elkridge, Maryland, US

Baby oil takes oil based paint right off in the shower, cold cream is good for loosening up other paints. Good ole soap an water is great for tempera paints.

Aug 07 05 05:02 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I've shot some... would love to shoot more and have the models interested if I can find the artists willing to TFCD with me.
I did this one for Mark Greenawalt during Sonik Magazine's 4th year anniversary party and fashion show...
https://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/AlluringExposures/200508-MG.jpg

Aug 07 05 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I can see why they might be uneasy at the thought of being touched all over by someone they are not intimate with... even if you *are* a female... Mark Greenawalt uses hair- and air-brushes and doesn't have any problems relaxing the models.
You can see more of his work at http://www.futureclassx.com

Posted by MyLeah: 
I do not airbrush, never had an interest in airbrushing anyone. I want to have it hands on, literally. I use small sponges, fingers and hands to apply the paint. I will dab, pat and smear paint and some times squirt it right from the bottle onto the skin to get a special effect.
And believe it or not, it is very hard to find models interested in experiencing this, even on a TFCD basis. Even being a female photographer, this often does not put the model at ease...

Aug 07 05 05:23 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I like fingerpainting.

Aug 07 05 05:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Body Painter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

A few things I've learned on some of my shoots that might help...

Be well hydrated in advance, but then limit fluid intake once paintng starts.

Don't Lock the knees

Take frequent stretch breaks

Don't stand in water while operating an electric fog machine

ONLY USE MAKEUP NOT PAINT

if you are a model, make sure your painter ONLY USES MAKEUP NOT PAINT

Paint with latex (including many acrylics) can cause a slow building and potentially LETHAL reaction

do a test spot first to make sure reactions aren't a problem

no painting over broken or chafed skin

Hope some of this helps...great topic Bryan!

Aug 09 05 02:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

You can airbrush latex as well...it goes by pretty fast.  Did it on a few models at a Mardi Gras event in Seattle.  They were the walking "Guestbooks..."

Aug 09 05 07:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

Firefaery

Hmmm...and I know many painters who use one form of paints or another...liquid latex, acrylics...etc.   I will definitely look into this, as i don't want to create problems for anyone I paint- ever!  So far, after allergy tests, never had a problem.  But...thank you about the heads up.....
As for myself, I had phased out acrylics, by February of this year- which I used to use quite often.  Have only had minimal experience with latex- the club hired me for MUA, but had me do the airbrushing, too.  Their airbrusher didn't show for the gig.  Nothin' like being thrown into something new!  But, I followed the directions and have a good steady hand, and can work well with spray...so, lucky me, it worked!  It was on the line, because they had me do THAT first...and the work I was hired for, afterwards!  AGGH!

Aug 09 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Gothic Films

Yorba Linda, California, US

I've been using the Body of Art body paints.  The paints are non-toxic (when used according to the directions) and clean up with rubbing alcohol.  There's a setting powder which resembles talc, dulls the colors a little bit.
Let me know what brands you guys are using and any noteworthy features.
I've done a little latex painting, too, but definitely follow the directions and put lotion on the model first, otherwise the little body hair really sticks to it.
My avatar pic is recent work.  I airbrushed henna tats on the model.  I'm available for bodypainting.  Hit me up if you want me to paint you and photograph you.  I'm only doing TFCD for this type of stuff, it takes too long so I think it should be a labor of love for anyone involved.  For the aforementioned airbrushed tats, I painted the girl the day before the shoot to break up the work a little.

Aug 10 05 02:54 am Link

Model

Neptune

Los Angeles, California, US

I missed out on my first body paint shoot in LA. I was really looking forward to it, but sh!t happens. If any legit body artists are looking for a canvas, pls get at me!

Aug 10 05 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Crump

The Body Painter Rich wrote:

Don't Lock the knees

Paint with latex (including many acrylics) can cause a slow building and potentially LETHAL reaction

thanks rich, I tried to go to your profile but it says you are not a member anymore

May 02 06 08:02 am Link

Model

Phoenix E

ooh ooh!!
*waves hand frantically*
i wanna be painted!!

May 02 06 01:17 pm Link

Model

Jade Jorarni

If you go to www.vampsandvixens.net and click on Angie's gallery. She has some really cool pics of a few people she has done her body painting art work. Plus in the prices section she has the information for har services.

(Located in the Richmond, Va area)

May 02 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

i am an fine artist & photographer in Tallahassee, FL

so I know how to paint...

but I don't know  anyone to test my brushes on here.  I don't want to pay lots of money for a model and I have not found any TFP/CD takers for a two or three hour nude paint job...

a local store sells the body make-up...

just need a model

May 02 06 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

sometimes I like it,
sometimes I do not.

Feb 27 07 08:38 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Marksora wrote:
sometimes I like it,
sometimes I do not.

!

you're on a roll today bumping old threads wink

Feb 27 07 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

The Body Painter Rich wrote:

Don't Lock the knees

yay for this. I had a model pass out during a painting. Scared me into additional insurance, lol.

its NOT as easy as the results show.

Feb 27 07 09:56 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Jessalyn wrote:

!

you're on a roll today bumping old threads wink

I woke up this morning wondering where the old threads came from, then I realized it was he, hehehehe.  He must have had trouble sleeping last night.

Feb 27 07 09:58 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I love bodypainting. I think there are so many directions you can take it to make it interesting....and I'd like to add that Roustan is wonderful at it....

https://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/jctruman1/cokebody2.jpg

Feb 27 07 10:00 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Daniela fell for it!! ^^

big_smile

Feb 27 07 10:02 am Link

Model

Tonya Carpenter

Albany, New York, US

I think body painting is awesome, got airbrushed @ a bike rally once but not for a shoot... but it's something I would LOVE to do!! I might make a good lion with my curly hair...lol

Feb 27 07 10:28 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

https://www.deslv.com/MM/DES669.jpg
Model: Ebaum #285602  Paint: Skin City #291894

Feb 27 07 10:36 am Link