Forums > Model Colloquy > Are new models intimidated?

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

By a photographers work? I only ask because I sometimes get intimidated by a models book when I see it. I'm like daaannggg.. How do I compete with that?

I've worked with many models that have been so intimidated that they literally freeze up, I had one model show up drunk she said she was so nervous she had to take the edge off.

I would say to anyone new to the industry put nerves aside and make that contact, the worst someone can say is, I'm not interested.

Jul 27 05 07:07 am Link

Model

ZoraJ

Houston, Alaska, US

Some of us are just nervous anyhow.  I have found that it's much better to meet the photographer in person (shake his/her hand) before the day of the shoot.  Talk for a good half hour or so... 
But, yeah, a photographer's work can be intimidating.  I'm too new to know for sure, but, I think time and experience and several good "self talks" might help...  It also seems though, that modeling wouldn't be much different that other forms or performing.  There are veteran actors and dancers, etc., who get very nervous, despite their time working.  I'm going to find out for myself...
Good question.

Jul 27 05 08:02 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Yes!!

Jul 27 05 08:05 am Link

Model

BQueenGirl

Belleville, Michigan, US

Posted by EMG STUDIOS: 
By a photographers work? I only ask because I sometimes get intimidated by a models book when I see it. I'm like daaannggg.. How do I compete with that?

I've worked with many models that have been so intimidated that they literally freeze up, I had one model show up drunk she said she was so nervous she had to take the edge off.

I would say to anyone new to the industry put nerves aside and make that contact, the worst someone can say is, I'm not interested.

Your work is great, I want it in my Port like many others I see and admire, I am not intimitdated, I just admire many photographers and thier work.  I am fearless and people reject me all the time!  So what?  It makes me make changes like lose weight or invest in better pictures or practice more. 

Jul 27 05 08:06 am Link

Model

Charlotte Maria

Southold, New York, US

I think you would get intimidated if you were unsure as to what you were going to be doing and if you are not prepared...like if there is something you should have brought and the photographer says do you have a "   " ...I'm a nervous person by nature so this is a great leap for me to have started doing this-I think that with time that intimidated feeling wears off...we will see!

Jul 27 05 08:08 am Link

Model

Lindsay Jolly

Toronto, Iowa, US

I am still intimidated by the photographers whom I know are shooting only agency models... but the thing is more often than not if I express interest and some crazy idea they are all for it. We are all our own worst critics - which is a good thing sometimes - but we should all really believe in ourselves more.

So today - look in the mirror and tell yourself how much you f@#@%% rock!!!!

www.LindsayJolly.com

Jul 27 05 08:10 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by BQueenGirl: 
Your work is great, I want it in my Port like many others I see and admire,

Thanks for the compliment!

Jul 27 05 08:11 am Link

Model

BQueenGirl

Belleville, Michigan, US

Posted by Lindsay Jolly: 
I am still intimidated by the photographers whom I know are shooting only agency models... but the thing is more often than not if I express interest and some crazy idea they are all for it. We are all our own worst critics - which is a good thing sometimes - but we should all really believe in ourselves more.

So today - look in the mirror and tell yourself how much you f@#@%% rock!!!!

www.LindsayJolly.com

Lindsay, you look great!!

Jul 27 05 08:25 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

I never been intimidated  by  any model or celebrities I have photographed...it's putting yourself in the best light and makes those wanting to be apart of the epxerience that each brings to a shoot. I find flirtation a wonderful tool to relaxe the fears I  think most have when working with each other for the first time. Being yourself shines brightest

Jul 27 05 08:33 am Link

Model

Alex Vo

San Jose, California, US

I've done a lot of work this past year but still consider myself pretty new to all of this. It's very intimidating when working with great photographers because you just don't want to be remembered as, "That one model that sucked A$$!"

Jul 27 05 12:57 pm Link