Forums > Photography Talk > best strobes to buy for the buck

Photographer

Robert Sanders

Los Angeles, California, US

If you want to read more about lighting systems, go to my articles on Samys.com:

Multi Formula Light
http://www.samys.com/articles/robert_sa … _light.php

Light Modifiers:
http://samys.com/articles/robert_sander … ifiers.php

Interview
http://www.samys.com/articles/robert_sa … anders.php

Jul 13 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

I really like my force 10 by speedotron

Jul 13 06 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

randy wolf wrote:
nah, Im too lazy to search it out.

Really? Well then, it sounds like you'll get out what you put in to it.

Jul 13 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

randy wolf

Seattle, Washington, US

Merle wrote:

Really? Well then, it sounds like you'll get out what you put in to it.

and the word of the day is..."sarcasm"

Jul 13 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

I use AB's because I had to perform a cost justification. Since I started on my own, I have carefully watch cash flow and expenses. There are definately better made lights available, but would they make me more money? My gut reaction is probably not. I'm better off spending the money on other things, such as marketing, backdrops, props, lenses, etc.

Eventually, I'll upgrade, but for now I'm happy with my bees.

Jul 13 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Merle

Kennesaw, Georgia, US

randy wolf wrote:

and the word of the day is..."sarcasm"

Nah, just another lazy MM'r who is content to let others do their leg work at the push of a button. Funny how so many are willing....Ka sara sara :-)

Jul 13 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Matt Blonc

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I have been looking at two Elinchrom kits the bx400 and the rx600 and also the Profoto 600 compact kit.

My conclusion was the BX 400 will be fine for my needs and you can upgrade the softbox to a larger one at some resellers at reduced cost.

The profoto 600 kit is also a good kit and cheaper than the elinchrom rx600 kit, so if i was to spend a little more i would buy the profoto.

matt

Dec 31 08 04:06 am Link

Photographer

VPro

Franklin, Arkansas, US

Alien Bees are awesome.

Dec 31 08 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Bautista

Washington, District of Columbia, US

i like my alienbees and nikon speedlights smile

Dec 31 08 05:53 am Link

Photographer

STUDIO 236

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Thyronne wrote:
I swear by Elinchrom monoblocks.  You can buy the EL series off E-Bay for a good price.  Beautiful, clean, non-colorshifting lights that are well made, portable and very durable.

Yes they are..... and also their floor packs are just as good, if not Better.

Dec 31 08 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

Interesting -- The people that have trouble with Alien bees seem to have trouble with everything - reflectors, power levels, and fastener to the stands.

I have experience with every brand of strobe except Profoto and Dynalite.

Norman has the worst stand adapters -- I have replaced hundreds of them when I worked in a pro camera store.  reflectors - the fasteners were awful.

The alienbee reflectors are bendable and cheap but they are also free when you buy the lights. If you do not like them replace them with Balcar ones. Check the price of other reflectors. Balcar beauty dish $300 AB $120

The sliders on mine are accurate and precise and yes my units have different power, but then so did my Norman, Bowens and others. (That's what your flash meter is for)

capacitors are very hard to get in precise units.

As far as breakable when using them on location --put them in good cases.

Mine have about 300,000 to 500,000 flashes on them and still going strong.

Dec 31 08 06:27 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I've been very happy with my AB's (two AB800's). 

I had a model knock one over.  It bent the reflector a little bit, but survived.  I have two and use a Cybersync on one and leave the second in slave mode.  It always pops.  The only AB accessory I have is a giant foldable softbox, but I'm very happy with it and it was reasonably priced.  They're portable and light for location shoots.  I don't like the slider controls and they are hard to adjust and get consistent results at lower output levels.

Another affordable and portable entry level entry I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Calumet Genesis series.  They cost less than the AB's for equivalent power, have a digital adjustment for light intensity, are more ruggedly constructed, and can use Elinchrom accessories.  I bought one of the 200 light kits for a rim light.  If I had it to do over again, I probably would have bought a set of the 400s over the AB800s.

Dec 31 08 06:50 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Los Angeles, California, US

Smith Victor, if you're broke. 
http://www.smithvictor.com/index2.asp

Dec 31 08 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Justin Flood

West Babylon, New York, US

Alienbees with the new Alienbees wireless triggers,   awesome combo.

Dec 31 08 08:10 am Link