Forums > General Industry > King Magazine ( How Do Models Get Published ) ?

Model

Duncan Project

Posts: 8

Atlanta, Georgia, US

What are your opinions about Magazine Submissions and getting Published ? I so often hear girls say that they wanna be in King, Hustler or Smooth Magazine but truth be told they don't even now the first step in the process. They go to the websites and thier is no direction as to how to submit and get into these Magazines.

So. what is the Real Truth about Eye Candy Magazine Submissions.. ?

Any Professionals Wanna voice thier Opinions ?

Published Eye Candy Models are wecolmed to Comment as well.

Thanks,

wink

Dec 08 10 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Dani Reid

Posts: 11

Anniston, Alabama, US

MOST TIMES FEW EYE CANDY MAGS DO PUT OUT THE GET PUBLISHED OR IF YOU WANNA BE FEATURED INFO TAB ON THEY SITES...BUT STILL IF IT AIN'T THERE, U CAN SIMPLY JUST CONTACT 'EM FOR DETAILS OR SUMTHING.

Dec 08 10 12:27 pm Link

Model

Duncan Project

Posts: 8

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Playbook Urban Beauties wrote:
MOST TIMES FEW EYE CANDY MAGS DO PUT OUT THE GET PUBLISHED OR IF YOU WANNA BE FEATURED INFO TAB ON THEY SITES...BUT STILL IF IT AIN'T THERE, U CAN SIMPLY JUST CONTACT 'EM FOR DETAILS OR SUMTHING.

Do you have Published work with King ?

Dec 08 10 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Posts: 10172

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Best thing for a model to do is to try and work with the photographers who shoot for those magazines...If they have a good look to the photographer..he may submit them to the mag editors for review....

Also check and see if the mag may be having any open castings somewhere...(rare I think) but happens sometimes..

Dec 09 10 03:24 am Link

Model

Duncan Project

Posts: 8

Atlanta, Georgia, US

DanaColePix wrote:
Best thing for a model to do is to try and work with the photographers who shoot for those magazines...If they have a good look to the photographer..he may submit them to the mag editors for review....

Also check and see if the mag may be having any open castings somewhere...(rare I think) but happens sometimes..

I'm not asking about working with the photographers. I'm asking how can the models submit for themselves and how do the photographers submit. I am well aware that every photographer just wants money but when a photographer knows a women has potential he is not gonna charge her because he knows that she will ay him off just buy her look.

So the question is what are the steps that Photographers take to get Publication. Steps that models don't need middle men for and can do themselves.. ?

Dec 09 10 06:09 am Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Posts: 13479

Houston, Texas, US

Duncan Project wrote:
I'm not asking about working with the photographers. I'm asking how can the models submit for themselves and how do the photographers submit. I am well aware that every photographer just wants money but when a photographer knows a women has potential he is not gonna charge her because he knows that she will ay him off just buy her look.

So the question is what are the steps that Photographers take to get Publication. Steps that models don't need middle men for and can do themselves.. ?

DanaColePix answered your question...go to the magazine's website...find their submission requirements and submit...or go to a casting...by the way...who/what is "King Magazine"?

Dec 09 10 06:12 am Link

Photographer

Bathory Photography

Posts: 61

Wareham, Massachusetts, US

You could also try contacting their parent company, Harris Publications and ask about that info.

Dec 09 10 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Ceehawk aka Christopher

Posts: 315

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

Duncan Project wrote:
I'm not asking about working with the photographers. I'm asking how can the models submit for themselves and how do the photographers submit. I am well aware that every photographer just wants money but when a photographer knows a women has potential he is not gonna charge her because he knows that she will ay him off just buy her look.

So the question is what are the steps that Photographers take to get Publication. Steps that models don't need middle men for and can do themselves.. ?

Yes photographers want money..photography is an art but it is also a business.  It takes cash to buy camera's, lighting, backdrops, props, studio rental etc.  Models don't publish themselves in magazines because the photographer owns the copyright to the photograph, unless he signs them away in writing.  If you want to be published..be a business as well as a model and work a deal of some sort with your photographer.  become part of a team and make a win win situation for both you, the photographer and the publication.

Jan 01 13 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

Posts: 5806

San Diego, California, US

Duncan Project wrote:
I'm not asking about working with the photographers. I'm asking how can the models submit for themselves and how do the photographers submit. I am well aware that every photographer just wants money but when a photographer knows a women has potential he is not gonna charge her because he knows that she will ay him off just buy her look.

So the question is what are the steps that Photographers take to get Publication. Steps that models don't need middle men for and can do themselves.. ?

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
DanaColePix answered your question...go to the magazine's website...find their submission requirements and submit...or go to a casting...by the way...who/what is "King Magazine"?

Yup. Models can't (generally) submit because they are (generally) the copyright holder. So the route is to work with photographers that regularly submit and get published.

As to how those photographers get published . . .  that's not an easy road and is about lots of submissions and building relationships with editors.

Jan 01 13 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Leon Bailey

Posts: 523

Orlando, Florida, US

Last time I checked it was on their website.

Jan 04 13 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Masamune Productions

Posts: 18

Binghamton, New York, US

FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
So the question is what are the steps that Photographers take to get Publication. Steps that models don't need middle men for and can do themselves.. ?

DanaColePix answered your question...go to the magazine's website...find their submission requirements and submit...or go to a casting...by the way...who/what is "King Magazine"?

Lol King and Smooth are urban/black eye candy magazines featuring typically black or ethnic women and usually focused on the backside of the woman instead of traditional white magazines which use to feature overly exaggerated breast. You can think of 70's blondes in playboy, I do love me some King though would love to be featured but I don't shoot that kind of work. Maybe someday smile

Jan 05 13 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Posts: 2343

New York, New York, US

Duncan Project wrote:
What are your opinions about Magazine Submissions and getting Published ? I so often hear girls say that they wanna be in King, Hustler or Smooth Magazine but truth be told they don't even now the first step in the process. They go to the websites and thier is no direction as to how to submit and get into these Magazines.

So. what is the Real Truth about Eye Candy Magazine Submissions.. ?

Any Professionals Wanna voice thier Opinions ?

Published Eye Candy Models are wecolmed to Comment as well.

Thanks,

wink

King and other Men's and adult magazines are not in my line of business, but all publications provide a way to contact the editor or staff directly. A lot of online publications are not linked directly with the print publication, therefore you may find yourself contacting two different departments, depending on your interest.

When it comes to submitting work, it is far easier if the photographer (not the model) submits the work, because the paperwork (licensing, copyright ownership, etc.) is very straightforward.

Magazines are reluctant to publish work submitted by a model, unless the model has all of her ducks in a row. 

In most scenarios, if the magazine wants to publish the model, they will use their own staff or hire a photographer on a "work for hire" basis, for obvious reasons.

Jan 06 13 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Posts: 2343

New York, New York, US

Duncan Project wrote:
I'm not asking about working with the photographers. I'm asking how can the models submit for themselves and how do the photographers submit. I am well aware that every photographer just wants money but when a photographer knows a women has potential he is not gonna charge her because he knows that she will ay him off just buy her look.

So the question is what are the steps that Photographers take to get Publication. Steps that models don't need middle men for and can do themselves.. ?

This is wrong.

The photographer hires a model, and sells the shots to the publication. In some cases the photographer shoots the model for without paying her, and submits the work to the publication for free (Believe it or not, it does happen).

If the publication has access to the model, and finds it cheaper/easier to hire her directly, they will do so, but any photographer that thinks they are doing the model a "favor" by not charging her may not be very experienced.

Remember that ultimately the publication wants to attract readers/viewers, and articles/photos have to appeal to their audience.

If the photographer/model wants to make a living then he/she will need to charge for their services.

If the photographer is poor, or the model looks like every other model that is knocking on the publication's door, then they are very unlikely to get hired.

Solution:
Model offers a look that is very appealing.
Model gets hired/paid by photographer (or publication)
Photographer gets paid by publication.
Publication gains viewers and/or sells publication which helps create revenue, by selling issues, or selling advertising space.

Getting published is a side-effect of working as a model or photographer for a publication, not a goal.

Jan 06 13 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo Diavolo

Posts: 8932

Martinez, California, US

the guy that started this thread no longer has an active account.
don't waste your efforts trying to explain to him.

Jan 06 13 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

I M N Photography

Posts: 2343

New York, New York, US

Paolo Diavolo wrote:
the guy that started this thread no longer has an active account.
don't waste your efforts trying to explain to him.

It is obvious that he was not going to go anywhere with this information, but it is informative for others that are interested in the topic.

Jan 06 13 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

ACPhotography

Posts: 8644

Plainview, New York, US

Ceehawk aka Christopher wrote:

Yes photographers want money..photography is an art but it is also a business.  It takes cash to buy camera's, lighting, backdrops, props, studio rental etc.  Models don't publish themselves in magazines because the photographer owns the copyright to the photograph, unless he signs them away in writing.  If you want to be published..be a business as well as a model and work a deal of some sort with your photographer.  become part of a team and make a win win situation for both you, the photographer and the publication.

This thread died in December of 2010, why resurrect it from the dead?

Jan 06 13 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo Diavolo

Posts: 8932

Martinez, California, US

MnPhoto wrote:
It is obvious that he was not going to go anywhere with this information, but it is informative for others that are interested in the topic.

theres been plenty of other educational resources posted about magazine submissions in the last couple years since this one was started and now dug up.

Let this thread die, or maybe a Mod will lock it.
Grave digging threads FTL.

Jan 06 13 06:20 pm Link