Forums > Photography Talk > To get skin to "Glisten" - Baby Oil?

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I would like to do an artistic nude shoot with the model having "glistening" skin. My first thought is ask her to put on baby oil. Has anyone done this? Does if cause light to refract off the skin in a way that ruins the effect in a photo? Is it a pain in the neck? Is there a good alternative to baby oil that will accomplish the same thing?

Aug 05 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Steinberg Photo wrote:
I would like to do an artistic nude shoot with the model having "glistening" skin. My first thought is ask her to put on baby oil. Has anyone done this? Does if cause light to refract off the skin in a way that ruins the effect in a photo? Is it a pain in the neck? Is there a good alternative to baby oil that will accomplish the same thing?

There are a few methods.
Do you have a makeup artists? If so, a competent one should know well how to do what you want.

If you dont have a makup artist, how do you intend to get to the places the model cant reach?

Trick question there - be careful is the point.

Baby Oil works great, but gets absorbed quick sometimes.
Bady Oil Gel works better. In my port the image in the bottom row uses this.

Aug 05 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Maxim V

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Baby oil or vaseline.
The two nudes in my port were done this way.

Adjust your light source based on the reflectivity.

Aug 05 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I use a mixture of baby oil and water....in a spray bottle.....

Aug 05 06 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Bodybuilders use olive oil before going on stage to get the shiny highlights without looking wet, oily or greasy.  have the model use it sparingly and rub it in good.

Aug 05 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Bodybuilders use olive oil before going on stage to get the shiny highlights without looking wet, oily or greasy.  have the model use it sparingly and rub it in good.

how tasty are these models after a olive oil rub ?

Aug 05 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

well that depends is it Extra Virgin? lol

Aug 05 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Chip Willis wrote:

There are a few methods.
Do you have a makeup artists? If so, a competent one should know well how to do what you want.

If you dont have a makup artist, how do you intend to get to the places the model cant reach?

Trick question there - be careful is the point.

Baby Oil works great, but gets absorbed quick sometimes.
Bady Oil Gel works better. In my port the image in the bottom row uses this.

This one?

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050916/13/432b20a04e78e.jpg

Man, and I just thought you had a natural glow about you!

Aug 05 06 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Bigler

Schenectady, New York, US

*WARNING*... do not use olive oil if shooting outside.

(do I really need to say why?.......)

Okay I will for the young and dumb....... your model will be endlessly chased by every bee, fly and flying bug in the county!!!

Baby oil gel is good, "B&B Hair food" from Walgreens is BEST!   (the stuff blacks use in their hair)
It does not clog pores, has a great sheen and smell, washes off easily.

Aug 05 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Pam (( .... for cooking, in the spray can.)) 

Nice controlled sheen to shine on nearly all skin tones.

bt

Aug 05 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Bodybuilders that I've photographed have tended to want to use specially formulated posing oil designed to make them look good under stage lights, and you can get the stuff from www.bodybuilding.com

But the stuff isn't really suited to photography, and the model can look like a wet fish, which is why photo's of bodybuilders taken on stage during competition don't usually show the bodybuilders at their best.

Baby oil, applied sparingly and carefully, does work, but, as noted above, does dry out.  Vaseline, again applied sparingly, is quite good, but it's difficult to get off again.  You will need to decide whether that's your problem!  Baby oil over vaseline doesn't dry out so quickly, and gives a good shine.  After-sun lotion over vaseline gives more of a sheen than a shine.

If you use the services of a MUA then he or she  will be responsible for applying the stuff, getting it off again afterwards, and any problems with possible allergic reactions that the model might have.

Aug 05 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Quentin Guillory

Houston, Texas, US

I have actually had good results with Pam cooking spray...it spray evenly and is not as messy as baby oil and that stuff...  after you cover the model with the pam...use a spray bottle of water and it works great....

Aug 05 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

WG Rowland wrote:

This one?

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050916/13/432b20a04e78e.jpg

Man, and I just thought you had a natural glow about you!

That is one unsexy bitch!

lol

Aug 05 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

Meehan

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

A light mist of fresh dew applied ever so gently with a willow duster. Or is that doesn't work, yes, a oil and water mixture in a bottle!

Aug 05 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

My attempt. Model applied baby oil and I sprayed her with water mist.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=1103735

Aug 05 06 02:56 pm Link

Makeup Artist

BeautyByIsis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

glycerine spray... prob. the best- and farrr less greasy than baby oil.

Aug 05 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Many things work, baby oil, spray Pam, glycerine and many other products. All can be mixed with water and all give a somewhat different 'look'.  Take some care though, if shooting outdoors, vegetable oils can attract bees and some oils magnify sunlight, almost like a magnifying glass and can produce serious sun burns.

This one shows baby oil in use and shows the glare which can result.
http://www.distinctiveimages.com/low/images/jen198.jpg

Aug 05 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

First you have to sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and oregano on them.....then they are delicious.....

Aug 05 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

My Specialty

OH, GAWD NO!.... don't use Baby Oil.  That crap is the worst.  Or Vaseline.

Any kind of "consumable" oils will work fine such as vegetable oil (Crisco, Wesson) or nut based oils (Almond, safflower).  NO NOT use Olive Oil - too thick and smelly.

Most preferable is a good quality massage oil, and the most preferable of that is Bio-Tone which is "water soluble"

IMPORTANT - Any oil you use will stain and ruin most clothes!  Don't forget that.  (which is why I recommend water soluble Bio-Tone - at least you've got a chance).

Oil will soak into the skin.  That's good.  At first it will be real shiny but will soon soak in. Touchups are frequent.

Bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  That will remove oil from your hands and anything else you get oil on.

When applying oil, don't pour it on the model directly - always pour it onto the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, then transfer to the model.

DO NOT use aersol spray cans like Pam.

BTW - Oil and water don't mix (so putting them together in a spray bottle is pretty dumb). Even if it did, the question would then become Why?

Glycerine and oil don't mix either, so use one or the other.  I've never used glycerine for that purpose, so I cannot comment on its useage first hand.  But "spraying" someone (or being sprayed) with something other than water doesn't sound very appealing.

I shoot a lot of muscle and fitness stuff. So I'm always using oil on models.

Attached are some recent examples of oil on models for some calendars I'm testing for.

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/GirlswithGuns.html

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/GirlsW … page2.html

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/Katana.html

-Glenn

Aug 05 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Ooooops.... wrong key.

hmm

Aug 06 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

On my last shoot I wanted a shine on the model's legs.  MUA walked over with her little tub of vaseline and voila.  Shine shine shine.  I looked at the MUA and shook my head in disgust how she just walked over and did her little 'trick of the trade' so non-chalante.  It hate it when people do that.  hehehe.

-PKD

Aug 06 06 06:26 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Steven Bigler wrote:
*WARNING*... do not use olive oil if shooting outside.

(do I really need to say why?.......)

Okay I will for the young and dumb....... your model will be endlessly chased by every bee, fly and flying bug in the county!!!

Baby oil gel is good, "B&B Hair food" from Walgreens is BEST!   (the stuff blacks use in their hair)
It does not clog pores, has a great sheen and smell, washes off easily.

LOL!!! You could also try Crisco.  You know the stuff that blacks use to fry chicken!!

Aug 06 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Rhonda McLendon wrote:

LOL!!! You could also try Crisco.  You know the stuff that blacks use to fry chicken!!

Yea, that was funny!

Aug 06 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

Burnz F

San Diego, California, US

BeautyByIsis wrote:
glycerine spray... prob. the best- and farrr less greasy than baby oil.

Yup. I agree...
smile

Aug 06 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

lorna

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

id say use "palmers" cocoa butter...they have it in body gloss aswell. but the normal one is good aswell.

Aug 06 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

Anthony Wallace333

Rhonda McLendon wrote:

nicely done.

Aug 07 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

pam - final answer

Aug 07 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Glenn Francis

Justin Huang wrote:
pam - final answer

What do you do?  Just curious.

"Ok, just stand right there while I spray this can of cooking oil all over your clothes, hair, face, stockings, shoes, ground....."

or

"OK, take off all your clothes, feet apart, arms out, now close your eyes..... while I.... nothing to worry about...... no reason to be scared.... hey! wait a second.... where you going???  ....come back here!!!"

"Damn, lost another one.... I just don't understand...."

-Glenn

Aug 07 06 03:29 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Glenn Francis wrote:

What do you do?  Just curious.

"Ok, just stand right there while I spray this can of cooking oil all over your clothes, hair, face, stockings, shoes, ground....."

or

"OK, take off all your clothes, feet apart, arms out, now close your eyes..... while I.... nothing to worry about...... no reason to be scared.... hey! wait a second.... where you going???  ....come back here!!!"

"Damn, lost another one.... I just don't understand...."

-Glenn

Used Pam today, to oil up someone getting "boiled in oil". Worked like a charm, without any problems (other than the dog deciding the model was going to get cooked, and wanted to be Right There when it happened).

Aug 07 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

DaveSwan

Delray Beach, Florida, US

Plain Glycerin, baby oil WITHOUT the perfume is what I use.
I also suggest using a polarizing filter to adjust for reflection.

Aug 07 06 08:18 am Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Justin Huang wrote:
pam - final answer

Shhhhhh.....

Trade secret!

hehe

Aug 07 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

Glenn Francis wrote:
My Specialty

OH, GAWD NO!.... don't use Baby Oil.  That crap is the worst.  Or Vaseline.

Any kind of "consumable" oils will work fine such as vegetable oil (Crisco, Wesson) or nut based oils (Almond, safflower).  NO NOT use Olive Oil - too thick and smelly.

Most preferable is a good quality massage oil, and the most preferable of that is Bio-Tone which is "water soluble"

IMPORTANT - Any oil you use will stain and ruin most clothes!  Don't forget that.  (which is why I recommend water soluble Bio-Tone - at least you've got a chance).

Oil will soak into the skin.  That's good.  At first it will be real shiny but will soon soak in. Touchups are frequent.

Bring a bottle of rubbing alcohol.  That will remove oil from your hands and anything else you get oil on.

When applying oil, don't pour it on the model directly - always pour it onto the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, then transfer to the model.

DO NOT use aersol spray cans like Pam.

BTW - Oil and water don't mix (so putting them together in a spray bottle is pretty dumb). Even if it did, the question would then become Why?

Glycerine and oil don't mix either, so use one or the other.  I've never used glycerine for that purpose, so I cannot comment on its useage first hand.  But "spraying" someone (or being sprayed) with something other than water doesn't sound very appealing.

I shoot a lot of muscle and fitness stuff. So I'm always using oil on models.

Attached are some recent examples of oil on models for some calendars I'm testing for.

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/GirlswithGuns.html

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/GirlsW … page2.html

http://www.pacificprodigital.com/Katana.html

-Glenn

Wow, and I have had such great results with Baby oil, baby oil gel, and spray on Crisco!

ohh well.......

Aug 07 06 08:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

David Klasfeld

New York, New York, US

If you have access to an airbrush, or know a makeup artist who does, you can try one of two things, both of which work incredibly well: Jojoba Oil (I like Boston Jojoba which you can get at most Health Food Stores) for a more natural sheen, or a 50% mix of Glycerin (available at most Drug Stores) and Water (available from most Faucets).

The benefit to using an airbrush for both is how even and consistent the application is. Spray bottles also 'work' but you usually get beads of the product, which works well for sweat effects but not for the above (as you'll have to manually smooth it out which can look streaky in photos.

Hope this helps!

Aug 07 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I've heard that a low SPF sunscreen like 2, or 4 will work just as well as baby oil, but smells better.

-Jame

Aug 07 06 09:01 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Ditto what David said.  Jojoba oil is much more pleasant than cooking spray and glycerin, which just feels gross.  And the airbrush applies it much quicker.
Jojoba oil is also good for a glow on the face. Again, more pleasant than cooking spray or glycerin.

Aug 07 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

I use baby oil- depending on how much you use- you can get anywhere from glisten, to shine, to downright sweaty.  There are a few examples in my port.

-Jose

Aug 07 06 09:22 am Link

Makeup Artist

David Klasfeld

New York, New York, US

JMX - if you intend to use Sunscreens just make sure Titanium Dioxide isn't the main component (or 'Active Ingredient'). Depending on formulation it may either 'flashback' (i.e. glare) in the picture or look metallic.

Aug 07 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Imagery - Men

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have used massage oil for the best effect in fitness shoots. If applied ahead evenly, it soaks in a bit by the time you do the shoot so is not too shiny. Much more pleasant for the model than veg oil.  If used in conjunction with a plain water mist - it does a good job of beading for the sweat effect.

Aug 07 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

123abcbye

Syracuse, New York, US

I have shot body builders that compete on a national level and they swear by Afro Sheen in the siver and blue spray can!

Aug 07 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

https://www.texassexiest.com/images/models/zoom/Tiffany_Swim-(3).jpg

Hmmm....... Glistening like this?

Aug 07 06 09:57 am Link