Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > What adhesive best for skin (body art, materials)?

Photographer

Tony Kinard Photography

Biloxi, Mississippi, US

I'm planning on experimenting around with decorating bodies with various materials (i.e. fabricks, metals, jewels, tissue, etc) to see if I can create some interesting looks.  Anyone have any experience and/or advice on what types of adhesives would be best used for this type of stuff?  Anyone know of resources or interesting ideas for materials that can be used for decorating skin and bodies?

No henna, fake tatoos or body sleeves.  Would like it to be more creative and material.

Thanks!
~ Tony
www.tonykinard.com

Jan 09 11 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Divinity Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

When I first got into photography (in early high school), I raided my bathroom looking for something to hold feathers and jewels to skin. I discovered, oddly enough, that some St. Ive's under-eye gel my mom had worked wonderfully. And it doesn't need to be washed off, so I'd just put a dab of it on the end of a feather and stick it on. It doesn't hold as well as something like spirit gum, but it's nice in a pinch.

Jan 09 11 01:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

this topic comes up alot... but depending on the weight of what your sticking down onto the skin...

baby oil gel
K-Y jelly
Vaseline
will work to hold light items like glitter , feathers ,gold leaf

for heavier things like Rhine stones, and anything with more weight try

Eye lash Glue.. Duo is my favorite
spirit glue
prose aide

Jan 09 11 03:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

D-DAH Makeup Artistry

DeKalb, Illinois, US

Yup Duo eyelash glue would work for jewels and rhinestones

Jan 09 11 04:06 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
Eye lash Glue.. Duo is my favorite

+1   by far the best, safest and most widely used in the beauty/fashion industry...

please be absolutely certain that the adhesive is approved for use on the skin, k?

Jan 09 11 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

What about covering DOWN THERE with a feather "bikini bottom"?

Jan 09 11 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Thumbtacks and staples work for me.

Actually rubber cement is great and it comes off very easily. Apply to model and the decoration. Let dry. Then stick them together.

Jan 09 11 06:54 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:

Actually rubber cement is great and it comes off very easily. Apply to model and the decoration. Let dry. Then stick them together.

Rubber cement is NOT intended for use on skin, please don't.

Jan 09 11 09:43 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Carlos Arturo Velarde wrote:

Not sure what you are intending... But DO NOT use adhesives.... Even skin approved adhesives near the genitals or anus. Even trained and experienced professionals who use skin adhesive on a regular basis would try something safer if at all possible... Or go to digital fx.

Jan 09 11 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Tattered Butterfly

Salem, Utah, US

Done this by hot gluing feathers to a thong prior to shoot. It look great in the end.

Also be sure to find out if the model has a latex allergy before sticking anything on her. A lot of adhesives contain latex and it leaves icky blisters. (speaking from experience. I had a body painter use Duo to stick feathers to me.)

Jan 09 11 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

TerrysPhotocountry

Rochester, New York, US

Spirit Gum!

Jan 09 11 10:05 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:

Hell to the NO on Rubber Cement.
It has solvents in it..

I know a good body painter who gave a Chemical Burn to a model using rubber cement with jewels.... the jewels trapped the fumes that the cement gives off as it dries.

Jan 09 11 10:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ms Samantha Marie

San Francisco, California, US

Depending on the weight of what you're adhering to the body & environmental factors, you can use anything from petroleum jelly for light things, to Duo adhesive for larger jewels, to theatrical glue for larger items..

Jan 10 11 02:02 am Link

Hair Stylist

Kriszi

Clark, New Jersey, US

You can also use Proclaim super bond hair glue. Dries clear and sets fast with heat on low blowdry setting and its washable!

http://www.sallybeauty.com/hair-extensi … _vc=SEARCH

Jan 10 11 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Greg Scott - BodyWerx

Lake Aluma, Oklahoma, US

I did a concept last year using peppermints to make a body suit. The model was latex sensitive, after alot of searching, I used double sided adhesive tabs. They come on a strip, and are small circles of adhesive. No fumes, no carrier agent that has to dry, no latex. Worked great, left no marks or evidence they were ever there.

Few tips:
do not use with your bare hands, oil off them kills the adhesive quality
I would unroll the strip, apply a candy to each tab
take scissors and cut the strip so you have individual pieces
then remove the backing and apply
make sure no lotion is on the skin or they wont hold
make no jarring movements, they hold decently, but you cant do jumping jacks with them
after about 20 minutes, due to a combination of body heat, sweat, natural skin secretions I would think, they start to lose their hold. This is a good thing and a bad thing. Good in that they came off easily, bad if you are going for a longer pose set. (knew what I wanted to do before we even started.)

Jan 10 11 06:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

Hayley Alys MUA

London, England, United Kingdom

PTPhotoUT wrote:

Troll

Jan 10 11 06:50 am Link

Model

Maja Stina

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Eyelash glue is often just latex milk. Latex milk is cheaper and you get more.

Though I am not saying one should go and use latex milk as eyelash adhesive.

Jan 10 11 06:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Hayley Alys MUA

London, England, United Kingdom

Maja Stina wrote:
Eyelash glue is often just latex milk. Latex milk is cheaper and you get more.

Though I am not saying one should go and use latex milk as eyelash adhesive.

+1

But say you wanted to glue a crapload of rhinestones on, you could just paint a small square of liquid latex on, then add your rhinestones.
Would work fantastic! smile

Jan 10 11 06:52 am Link

Model

Maja Stina

Hayley Alys MUA wrote:

Troll

Just because they made a joke before posting their advice, doesn't really make them a troll...Lighten up?

Jan 10 11 06:53 am Link

Model

Maja Stina

Hayley Alys MUA wrote:

+1

But say you wanted to glue a crapload of rhinestones on, you could just paint a small square of liquid latex on, then add your rhinestones.
Would work fantastic! smile

Indeed. It dries clear. smile

Jan 10 11 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Herman van Gestel

Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands

light stuff: egg-white (nice for bigger surfaces, skin friendly)
heavier: mastix (often used in theaters)
and Kryolan spirit gum

Herman

Jan 10 11 07:01 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Greg Scott wrote:
I did a concept last year using peppermints to make a body suit. The model was latex sensitive, after alot of searching, I used double sided adhesive tabs. They come on a strip, and are small circles of adhesive. No fumes, no carrier agent that has to dry, no latex. Worked great, left no marks or evidence they were ever there.

Few tips:
do not use with your bare hands, oil off them kills the adhesive quality
I would unroll the strip, apply a candy to each tab
take scissors and cut the strip so you have individual pieces
then remove the backing and apply
make sure no lotion is on the skin or they wont hold
make no jarring movements, they hold decently, but you cant do jumping jacks with them
after about 20 minutes, due to a combination of body heat, sweat, natural skin secretions I would think, they start to lose their hold. This is a good thing and a bad thing. Good in that they came off easily, bad if you are going for a longer pose set. (knew what I wanted to do before we even started.)

Non medical or cosmetic grade adhesives are a bad idea. MANY people are allergic to regular adhesives, even band-aids and can develop a rash even if it is not immediately apparent. While you could get lucky for a long time using this stuff...eventually you may have a serious problem on your hands.

Jan 10 11 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I am intending exactly what I said; to cover the nipples and vulva as if feathers were growing on them.

BodyPainter Rich wrote:

Not sure what you are intending... But DO NOT use adhesives.... Even skin approved adhesives near the genitals or anus. Even trained and experienced professionals who use skin adhesive on a regular basis would try something safer if at all possible... Or go to digital fx.

Jan 10 11 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

My problem is I am not that good with Photoshop and editing the thong on the edges of the hips on a high contrast image is a nightmare to me...

Tattered Butterfly wrote:

Done this by hot gluing feathers to a thong prior to shoot. It look great in the end.

Also be sure to find out if the model has a latex allergy before sticking anything on her. A lot of adhesives contain latex and it leaves icky blisters. (speaking from experience. I had a body painter use Duo to stick feathers to me.)

Jan 10 11 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Tattered Butterfly

Salem, Utah, US

We glued the little fuzzy type feather there, it looked good in the end. Or hire a ps wizard, it would only take five minutes to correct.

Jan 10 11 11:37 pm Link

Body Painter

Tim Gratton

Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia

Burlesque dancers I work with use double sided tape on their nipples and around their fiddly bits... spirit gum (Mastix) for heavier stuff and I use hair spray for glitter!

Jan 11 11 05:57 pm Link

Body Painter

Lisa Berczel

New Castle, Pennsylvania, US

another way to look at it... Don't use adhesives on a lady that you would't want used on the penis.

Jan 11 11 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I think women are a bit more sensitive/delicate down there than men are...

Lisa Berczel wrote:
another way to look at it... Don't use adhesives on a lady that you would't want used on the penis.

Jan 15 11 12:55 pm Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Perhaps then....don't put it on a woman's privates if you wouldn't be willing to dip your penis in it. I'm not about to put adhesive there myself, no way, no how.

Now, if your model is a masochist...and likes that sort of thing....

Jan 15 11 01:05 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

Really?  And what led you to that assumption? Nevermind.

I can't think of any delicate way to say this...
DO NOT use commercial adhesives on ANYONE's genitalia.  It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Jan 15 11 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

That is why I am asking what to use!!! I have seen it done, I just don't know what to use and the person who did it is not online and is from out of town and I do not know how to get hold of them!

A few have said eyelash glue, some have said no and suggested I use something else, but NOBODY IS TELLING ME WHAT THAT SOMETHING ELSE IS.

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:
Really?  And what led you to that assumption? Nevermind.

I can't think of any delicate way to say this...
DO NOT use commercial adhesives on ANYONE's genitalia.  It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Jan 15 11 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

You keep saying "don't use this, use something else" but you don;t tell me what that something else is! This is not helpful at all.

BodyPainter Rich wrote:

Perhaps then....don't put it on a woman's privates if you wouldn't be willing to dip your penis in it. I'm not about to put adhesive there myself, no way, no how.

Now, if your model is a masochist...and likes that sort of thing....

Jan 15 11 02:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

That is why I am asking what to use!!! I have seen it done, I just don't know what to use and the person who did it is not online and is from out of town and I do not know how to get hold of them!

Ok MOD Rich, get ready...I'm batting for the "banned" team again.

Carlos, what are you not understanding?  We've all told you (and the OP) this isn't a good idea.  You're not a makeup artist (much less an SFX artist educated in using adhesives in "delicate" areas), but you insist on finding a way to do what you want and possibly hurting your model.  Honestly, I'm perplexed by your lack of concern for another person's safety.

OK Rich - put the handcuffs on and toss me out.

Jan 15 11 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

What am I not understanding? Simple. I asked what to use in a certain circumstance and I am told to use some product, then others come and say don't use that, you need something else. But nobody tells me what that something else is. How am I supposed to know what that mysterious "something else" is if nobody will tell me?

If somebody said "the right product is product "X" but I do not recommend you do this, instead hire a pro to do this because the possible things that can go wrong are Y,and Z"... THAT I could understand.

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:
Ok MOD Rich, get ready...I'm batting for the "banned" team again.

Carlos, what are you not understanding?  We've all told you (and the OP) this isn't a good idea.  You're not a makeup artist (much less an SFX artist educated in using adhesives in "delicate" areas), but you insist on finding a way to do what you want and possibly hurting your model.  Honestly, I'm perplexed by your lack of concern for another person's safety.

OK Rich - put the handcuffs on and toss me out.

Jan 15 11 02:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

What am I not understanding? Simple. I asked what to use in a certain circumstance and I am told to use some product, then others come and say don't use that, you need something else. But nobody tells me what that something else is. How am I supposed to know what that mysterious "something else" is if nobody will tell me?

If somebody said "the right product is product "X" but I do not recommend you do this, instead hire a pro to do this because the possible things that can go wrong ar Y,and Z" THAT I could understand.

Why are we not telling you?  Simple.  Give a kid a book of matches and tell them not to use them...what happens?

Peace - Out...I'm leaving before this spirals down any further.

Jan 15 11 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

You would rather leave someone with half the info they need instead of proper education and warnings? You would leave someone who is honestly and earnestly trying to learn the right way in the dark to possibly do something wrong because the wrong person gave him bad advice that sounded correct?

And by the way, I am not a kid. I listen to advice WHEN IT IS GIVEN WITH REQUIRED INFORMATION FOR IT TO MAKE SENSE. If it doesn't make sense I will keep looking until something makes sense and then follow that road.

So if nobody here will help me I guess I will be going to other places and see what somebody is willing to share with me that makes sense.

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:
Why are we not telling you?  Simple.  Give a kid a book of matches and tell them not to use them...what happens?

Peace - Out...I'm leaving before this spirals down any further.

Jan 15 11 02:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KJB

New York, New York, US

You would rather leave someone with half the info they need instead of proper education and warnings? You would leave someone who is honestly and earnestly trying to learn the right way in the dark to possibly do something wrong because the wrong person gave him bad advice that sounded correct?

We've given you warnings....Don't Do It.

Giving you product suggestions or even a "how to guide" is not appropriate for this type of effect.

Want proper education?  Go get some, WITH proper supervision.  This is not a trial and error process.  You WILL hurt someone without proper training.

Jan 15 11 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

Unfortunately there are unscrupulous people willing to do this for money. If I don't know the proper way to do it I might just let the wrong person do it because I don't know better.

Just as you read above, I had people tell me eyelash glue is fine and they are willing to do it. I almost agreed to pay someone $50 to do it and they were going to use latex milk... I am here to make sure I am not being given bad info by someone who a) is willing to try whatever for the chance to touch the model or b) just cares about getting paid.

KJ Bennett Beauty wrote:
We've given you warnings....Don't Do It.

Giving you product suggestions or even a "how to guide" is not appropriate for this type of effect.

Want proper education?  Go get some, WITH proper supervision.  This is not a trial and error process.  You WILL hurt someone without proper training.

Jan 15 11 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Woody Oh

Shelby, North Carolina, US

If somebody said "the right product is product "X" but I do not recommend you do this, instead hire a pro to do this because the possible things that can go wrong are Y,and Z"... THAT I could understand.

I think you hit it on the head, with regard to what they're trying to tell you...  Seems they don't want you doing it, but to get a professional to do it for you. 

It does seem odd that none could just come out and say that, though.  Seems to me you've been pretty clear about what you understood being said to you, and also seems to me you understood it correctly.

*EDIT*  KJ Bennet...  thank you!  your post got in while I was typing mine...  smile

Jan 15 11 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Woody Oh

Shelby, North Carolina, US

Anybody know a qualified expert in his area who can help him out?

Jan 15 11 02:59 pm Link