Forums > Critique > Fun and Games > Freelance models, can you convince me to hire you?

Model

Salem Lamoureux

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I'd love to hear your thoughts smile

Feb 15 11 11:01 pm Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

How about me...?

Feb 15 11 11:40 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Bailey Benton wrote:
Me? smile

I think trade shoots for portfolio building are a good option for you at this point.

Feb 16 11 04:19 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

AlexaMoore wrote:
What do you think about me?

Your profile indicates that you shoot nudes, but I do not see any in your book. I would add perhaps 3, 'no-nonsense' type nudes and I think it will help you land work.

Apart from that, I really like what you wrote about wanting to try non-conventional, very different type projects that can't help but draw attention because they are so unusual.

I'd be inclined to hire you because I agree so much with what you wrote in your profile. Not everyone will share my opinion, so you should add those nude shots to help convince them.

Feb 16 11 04:24 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Salem Lamoureux wrote:
I'd love to hear your thoughts smile

I think your book is probably not right for the freelance market. Freelance models pretty much get paid for promotions, glamour, fine art, or erotica. So you need to show that type of work in your book to get hired. I did like what you wrote in your profile about wanting to try new things.

I recommend more trade work for now.

Feb 16 11 04:31 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

C A T H Y     wrote:
How about me...?

For the moment, I would recommend some portfolio building. You say that you primary do glamour work, so I'd like to see more swimsuit/lingerie shots. Basically make your portfolio a bit more sexy.

Feb 16 11 04:34 am Link

Model

_MIA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'd like to know!

Feb 16 11 06:21 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

_MIA wrote:
I'd like to know!

For your written profile, I recommend putting the things you want to do at the bottom. Generally people hire you for what they want to do, and you have to trade or hire someone to shoot your own ideas.

If the goal is paid work, I recommend adding more photos with sex appeal to your portfolio, and also a few that make you look upbeat and happy. That's what the freelance market generally pays for.

Feb 16 11 07:48 am Link

Model

LexLethal

Los Angeles, California, US

Hm, let's do it.

Feb 16 11 07:55 am Link

Model

S M A S H L E Y

Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada

I'm interested in your opinion, please smile.

Feb 16 11 08:03 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

LexLethal wrote:
Hm, let's do it.

Your portfolio is great for freelance work. Not intimidating to clients, not excessively retouched, and shows enough posing ability and variation.

I rate your written profile as slightly above average. It's not hurting you, but it's probably not landing you any clients either (your book does all the work). Make it seem a little happier. People want to feel happy about hiring you. Right now the tone is somewhat neutral.

Overall, yes I think that you would be hired.

Feb 16 11 08:04 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Ashley Odorizzi wrote:
I'm interested in your opinion, please smile.

Freelance work generally only pays for promo modeling, glamour, art (typically nude) and erotica.

Beauty work, hair work, editorials, advertising..........all that goes to agency girls with very few exceptions.

Change the direction of your portfolio to add more photos with sex appeal and that make you seem like a happy, spontaneous and fun person to be around.

The doctor advises more trade work for the moment.

Feb 16 11 08:08 am Link

Model

Faith EnFire

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

what do you think smile

Feb 16 11 08:11 am Link

Model

raychel

Charleston, South Carolina, US

From reading a few of your reviews, I'm sure I could beef up my info. Please let me know what you think though. Thanks!

Feb 16 11 08:15 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Faith EnFire wrote:
what do you think smile

I advise more nakedness. 3 photos that don't mess around artistically, they just show you in the flesh, stark naked with sort of a very comfortable or happy expression (nothing sexual). You need full frontal, one that shows 'booty', and I'll let you get creative with the last one.

Make a tweak to your written profile to make yourself seem a little more flirty. Not flirty  in the "I want to sleep with you" kind of way, but more like "I'd love to come hang out with you and take photos all day and it would be super fun." flirty.

I think with those two small changes, you would totally be someone that a lot of people would love to hire.

Feb 16 11 08:21 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

raychel wrote:
From reading a few of your reviews, I'm sure I could beef up my info. Please let me know what you think though. Thanks!

They call the written profile an 'about me' section, and a lot of people treat it like a biography. Really it should be called,

"Sell yourself using as few sentences as possible, while still getting your overall point across." (Consider this your new creative writing assignment! Bonus points if you manage to make me smile or laugh. )

Assuming of course that the goal is to get hired. That's not everyone's goal. Some people just want play the 'beret wearing artiste' that only works with other like minded individuals; and that's fine, but that's not what were discussing here.

As far as your portfolio, it's good, but I want you to put up at least one nude photo with a very happy and inviting expression. I don't care about the backdrop (it can be in a studio if you like), I only care about you. Make me believe you are super comfortable and happy and fun. Not everyone that hires you has a beret in the closet, after all (pardon my attempt at humor).

Feb 16 11 08:32 am Link

Model

raychel

SouthFLpix wrote:

They call the written profile an 'about me' section, and a lot of people treat it like a biography. Really it should be called,

"Sell yourself using as few sentences as possible, while still getting your overall point across." (consider this your new creative writing assignment!)

Assuming of course that the goal is to get hired. That's not everyone's goal. Some people just want play the 'beret wearing artiste' that only works with other like minded individuals; and that's fine, but that's not what were discussing here.

As far as your portfolio, it's good, but I want you to put up at least one nude photo with a very happy and inviting expression. I don't care about the backdrop (it can be in a studio if you like), I only care about you. Make me believe you are super comfortable and happy and fun. Not everyone that hires you has a beret in the closet, after all (pardon my attempt at humor).

The implied on the third row, last pic doesn't do that? ...and the 4th row first pic?

Thanks

Feb 16 11 08:37 am Link

Model

raychel

raychel wrote:

The implied on the third row, last pic doesn't do that? ...and the 4th row first pic?

Thanks

PS: I will work on the assignment! wink

Feb 16 11 08:40 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

raychel wrote:

Thanks

Well I am asking for something very specific. I want a 3/4 shot of you standing and looking directly at the camera, with a very upbeat and inviting expression.

Feb 16 11 09:07 am Link

Model

raychel

SouthFLpix wrote:

Well I am asking for something very specific. I want a 3/4 shot of you standing and looking directly at the camera, with a very upbeat and inviting expression.

Oh, I see what you're saying.

So no job then?

Feb 16 11 09:13 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

raychel wrote:

Oh, I see what you're saying.

So no job then?

Depends on who your competition is. In every job, it's always about your competition and how you stack up against them. That's why it's so difficult to model full-time.

I'm sure you knew that smile

Feb 16 11 09:17 am Link

Model

Kat Schrull

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Would love to know. :-)

Feb 16 11 09:19 am Link

Model

user1023

Fredonia, New York, US

What are your thoughts on my Port and profile? I really appreciate the feedback thx. ciao!
-Lisandra

Feb 16 11 09:21 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Kat Schrull wrote:
Would love to know. :-)

I think your portfolio needs to be trimmed significantly. There are many shots in there that really don't do anything for you as far as selling you. It's not that they are making you look bad, but the fact of the matter is that if a photo is not selling you, then it needs to go. It's sort of like that saying, "if you are not with me, then you are against me".

If you are really feeling bold (and I'm a big believer in being bold), then maybe you should actually consider just scrapping most of it and starting over with a strong 'fresh' start. Of course, that depends on your ability to line up quality trade shoots that add to your portfolio. I think you could do it.

Your profile reads like a biography. That's not really what I think a profile is best used for. If you want to do that, then link us to your webpage or blog. For your profile, I want you to sell me. Tell me why you are so awesome that I literally want to hand you my money. Make me smile, make me want to meet you. Make yourself seem fun and interesting and a pleasure to be around.

At this point, I think you are being hired for your look almost exclusively because it's actually a very good look for the freelance market. The problem is that you are making me 'imagine' what you could do instead of showing me. Not everyone is willing to do that.

Feb 16 11 09:37 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Lisandra Sanchez Pagan wrote:
What are your thoughts on my Port and profile? I really appreciate the feedback thx. ciao!
-Lisandra

You are not naked enough in your portfolio. Seriously, when someone wants to sell themselves as a nude friendly model, they need to get to the point quickly and not beat around the bush. What this means is that I should be able to click on your portfolio and see nude images staring me in the face right away. Not these 'super artistic' images with shadows all over the place either.

Your profile is a bit of a mixed bag. It's kind of out there in left field, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's good to be different. I actually like the fact that you seem to be very excited about that zombie shoot. I like people that get excited about modeling.

However, I don't like that big notice with asterisks that you won't do TFP nudes or implied. You actually *do* need to do TFP nudes at this point, because I don't see even one good nude image in your portfolio. How is it that a nude model does not even have one nude image? It makes me wonder if you are capable of delivering in that genre.

Feb 16 11 09:45 am Link

Model

user1023

Fredonia, New York, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

You are not naked enough in your portfolio. Seriously, when someone wants to sell themselves as a nude friendly model, they need to get to the point quickly and not beat around the bush. What this means is that I should be able to click on your portfolio and see nude images staring me in the face right away. Not these 'super artistic' images with shadows all over the place either.

Your profile is a bit of a mixed bag. It's kind of out there in left field, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's good to be different. I actually like the fact that you seem to be very excited about that zombie shoot. I like people that get excited about modeling.

However, I don't like that big notice with asterisks that you won't do TFP nudes or implied. You actually *do* need to do TFP nudes at this point, because I don't see even one good nude image in your portfolio. How is it that a nude model does not even have one nude image? It makes me wonder if you are capable of delivering in that genre.

thanks for the input but im still not very used to the idea of nude modeling without being paid. I dont state Im open to nudes eighter.I have done nude shots however, its still a new area for me.
like its stated on my profile, I am open depending on the quality of the work. I refuse to model nude for some amature thats prob. trying to get a *good look* at my body not for the photos. Ive had bad expiriences in the past so I try to be careful.

thanks for the input.

Feb 16 11 09:57 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Lisandra Sanchez Pagan wrote:
I refuse to model nude for some amature thats prob. trying to get a *good look* at my body not for the photos.

You should not do nudes at all then, because your very best clients will be 'amateurs that want to get a good look'. That's the backbone of the entire market. Without them no nude model would be able to survive on her modeling income.

If you don't believe me, pick the most successful nude model you can find and ask her via PM.

Feb 16 11 10:00 am Link

Model

user1023

Fredonia, New York, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

You should not do nudes at all then, because your very best clients will be 'amateurs that want to get a good look'. That's the backbone of the entire market. Without them no nude model would be able to survive on her modeling income.

If you don't believe me, pick the most successful nude model you can find and ask her via PM.

I dint say I dint believe you, I have just seen models that havent done that and are very succesful. I dont have anything against nudes its just a level I need to become more comfortable with. Thanks

Feb 16 11 10:02 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

^^^^

I'm not going to pick on this particular girl any further, but I just want to say that if you (in the general sense, not referring to anyone specifically) are not comfortable with something, then just don't do it.

If you don't want to shoot nudes, it's probably not a good idea to mark your profile as being available for nude work. I don't see the logic in that. Just concentrate on the work that you are available for. Keep it simple.

Feb 16 11 10:10 am Link

Model

Brianna Skylar

Huntington Beach, California, US

So needing your advice. Almost finished with my Portfolio, ready to take the next step. Bri

Feb 27 11 10:27 am Link

Model

RRR

London, England, United Kingdom

I love your port. So I'd like to know your oppinion please smile

Feb 27 11 10:34 am Link

Model

Miss AlyKat

Fresno, California, US

I would love your opinion, I am always open to critque, how else would someone get better.

Feb 27 11 10:35 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Brianna Ondrejik wrote:
So needing your advice. Almost finished with my Portfolio, ready to take the next step. Bri

Your portfolio is almost entirely fashion and beauty centric, and while it looks great, it's probably not a good fit for the freelance market and for your particular look and height. Same old story about height, right? I'm sorry.

I would consider you for promotional work. I think you cold also occasionally land a beauty or hair gig, although those usually go to regular agency girls.

Feb 27 11 10:41 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Rachael Rothschild wrote:
I love your port. So I'd like to know your oppinion please smile

My opinion with you is that you should build a commercial portfolio and try to sign with a commercial agency, and only do freelance work on the side. I do think you have a good chance, because you have a nice smile and a unique type of look; a pretty rare combo.

For freelance work, I'd recommend promotional work. I know a girl that made about $5,000 in two weeks strictly via promotions, so it can sometimes yield good money (although this girl had something of a 'name', since she had been published numerous times).

Feb 27 11 10:48 am Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

50 Caliber Peacemaker wrote:
I would love your opinion, I am always open to critque, how else would someone get better.

For the moment, I think you would be a good candidate to continue doing trade work and building your portfolio.

Feb 27 11 10:52 am Link

Model

C A T H Y

Anaheim, California, US

SouthFLpix wrote:

For the moment, I would recommend some portfolio building. You say that you primary do glamour work, so I'd like to see more swimsuit/lingerie shots. Basically make your portfolio a bit more sexy.

ok, will do. Thanks for the feedback. smile

Feb 27 11 10:56 am Link

Model

Mona L.

London, England, United Kingdom

really appreciate your help there/ thanks smile

Feb 27 11 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

JA Sanchez

Miami, Florida, US

Mona L. wrote:
really appreciate your help there/ thanks smile