Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Hitchhiker's Guide

Model

Aurora Bellare

Newport News, Virginia, US

Any Hitchhiker's fans out there?  Don't know about you guys, but when I go to see it on Saturday, I'm dressing in jammies, slippers, robe, and a towel.  Also gonna tote my Marvin the Paranoid Android figure with me smile.

Yeah, I know, I'm a geek!

Apr 26 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

Scifi Rocks ;-)

Apr 26 05 10:16 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

*raises hand*

Apr 26 05 11:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm both curious and hesistant. I love the BBC radio and TV shows and books, but I'm a little nervous about Hollywood mucking it up. Still, I'll probably break down and see it.

Apr 27 05 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

I saw a sneak preview tonight!!! :-)

Apr 27 05 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

Douglas Adams was in at the origional start of production, then sadly passed away from a heart attack while working out in the gym in LA.

There are a few things I am wondering about. They make it look like Author and Trillian are an item, but it was not that way in any of the previous incarnations. And the other was from one of the trailers that says something about a main bad guy who I am guessing is John Malcovich(sp?) the half of a body guy walking across the table.
Through out the book there were mainly the Vogons that were "not bad, but ill tempered and callous" and a lot of bad situations etc... I guess I'll have to watch and find out.......

Is that to geeky? ;-P

Apr 27 05 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Sponge Studio

Waltham, Massachusetts, US

[b]There are a few things I am wondering about. They make it look like Author and Trillian are an item, but it was not that way in any of the previous incarnations. And the other was from one of the trailers that says something about a main bad guy who I am guessing is John Malcovich(sp?) the half of a body guy walking across the table.

I wasn't disappointed, although the Arthur/Trillian thing definitely had the feel of Hollywood mucking about. This movie was in development hell for 25 YEARS, they had to make some compromises, I'm sure. Shame that Adams never got to see it. :-(

Apr 27 05 12:49 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Aruther had a crush on Trillian and tried to pick her up at a party once.

If I recall correctly, in the 5th book of the trilogy (don't even try to figure that one out), there was something about Arthur and Trillian doing the nasty. It may be my mind playing trics on me, though. Haven't read book 5 in a long time, as it wasn't very good.

Apr 27 05 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

Actually if you follow the progression from the book to the radio show to the British TV movie, things change across the board.

Apr 27 05 01:46 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Thomas Lima: 
Actually if you follow the progression from the book to the radio show to the British TV movie, things change across the board.

True. None of the versions are quite the same. I believe Douglas Adams said the books and TV show contradicted each other and the radio program, but themselves as well. The BBC radio show was the first format of the story, so its the most consistent.

Apr 27 05 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

RFAphoto

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ok I guess then I'm a geek too, when I joined a gym and found myself in this strange new culture where everyone carries a towel, I found I had to put the words "Don't Panic" on the front of my MP3 player....

Apr 27 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jack Dawes

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Posted by theda: 
If I recall correctly, in the 5th book of the trilogy (don't even try to figure that one out), there was something about Arthur and Trillian doing the nasty. It may be my mind playing trics on me, though. Haven't read book 5 in a long time, as it wasn't very good.

Not quite. Trillian ends up with Arthur as a sperm donor because he's been selling it all over the universe and when Trillian goes to get inseminated, he's the only member of her species that's donated.

Apr 27 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

I defiantly have to read book 5 again....

Apr 27 05 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

Anyone see it yet??

Apr 29 05 11:35 am Link

Model

butchscrumper

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Douglas Adams...I have been told he was a genius...lol 42!

Apr 29 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Aurora: 
Any Hitchhiker's fans out there?  Don't know about you guys, but when I go to see it on Saturday, I'm dressing in jammies, slippers, robe, and a towel.  Also gonna tote my Marvin the Paranoid Android figure with me smile.

Yeah, I know, I'm a geek!

But does the Towel have Ketchup on it!?!

And I am defiantely taking the family 3-4 times to see it! :-)

Apr 29 05 02:44 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

I just saw the movie today - ROCK!

The special effects were outstanding, the musical score of "So long, and thank you for the fish" was even better!

Apr 29 05 06:31 pm Link

Model

Lady Atropos

Toledo, Ohio, US

Everyone should attend the movie in a bathrobe and towel smile

There were tons of people attending with towels smile

Apr 29 05 06:32 pm Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

That's awesome!  I've read one opinion saying the movie was, and I quote, "craptabular".  Bleh.  Those who haven't read the books might not be able to understand the movie, but that's their problem :-).  We all obviously have good taste!

Apr 30 05 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Perkunas Image Works

Tampa, Florida, US

I liked the movie. They take liberties, but what the heck. It was still funny. The local film critics gave it a B- and a D- respectively. The D- minus guy complained that it wasn't the same as the TV version. Oh well.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the write ups on Adams is that he was the main writer for some of the best Tom Baker episodes of Dr. Who. Bringing that up shows that I am also a geek.

Apr 30 05 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Lima

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

Posted by Bob Pomeroy: 

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the write ups on Adams is that he was the main writer for some of the best Tom Baker episodes of Dr. Who. Bringing that up shows that I am also a geek. 

Douglas Adams wrote Pirate Planet which was filmed and released. out on DVD
He also wrote one called Shada which was not completely filmed. It was actually released by fan demand with text inserts where there were missing scenes and missing effects.

Geek...Whos a geek????   :-)

May 01 05 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

I saw the movie last night as a "virgin" - having never been exposed to the books, TV shows, or radio show.

I liked it.  Might go pick up the book(s) now.  smile

May 01 05 06:00 am Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

Definitely get the books, they're awesome.  Saw the movie yesterday, I've NEVER seen such a great movie made from a book!  Although they left out a couple bits in it, all in all it was better than I had thought, and that's good.  This is a movie that I'd watch so many times I'd have it all memorized, and still come back for more!

Good to know there's fans out there besides myself smile

May 01 05 09:35 am Link

Photographer

p h o t o f a s h i o n

London, England, United Kingdom

Posted by Aurora: 
Definitely get the books, they're awesome.  Saw the movie yesterday, I've NEVER seen such a great movie made from a book!  Although they left out a couple bits in it, all in all it was better than I had thought, and that's good.  This is a movie that I'd watch so many times I'd have it all memorized, and still come back for more!

Good to know there's fans out there besides myself smile

WOW american HHGTG fans....who would have thought!
I remember listening to the bbc radio shows when i was a kid and I STILL listen to them sometimes.
You may be interested to know that today the BBC is starting the radio serialisation of the last two books with the ORIGINAL radio cast. (they did it last year with the "tiertiary phase" which you can buy on cd i think.
Want to see the film but it wont come out here in italy (besides they still dub the Sh*T out of everything here and therefore spoil it all)
so have to wait til i am back in the states.
Nice to see a few anoraks out there like me!!

May 04 05 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Posted by Thomas Lima: 

Posted by Bob Pomeroy: 

Douglas Adams wrote Pirate Planet which was filmed and released. out on DVD
He also wrote one called Shada which was not completely filmed. It was actually released by fan demand with text inserts where there were missing scenes and missing effects.

Geek...Whos a geek????   :-)

He also wrote Starship Titanic.
Get the game :-)

May 04 05 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

Saw it 2 nights ago - love it.

Bought the BBC mini series a few years ago. Hated it.

Mos Def was great. I want a Marvin doll for my desk.

May 04 05 05:01 pm Link

Model

Aurora Bellare

The figures and plushes should be out by now...but my Marvin hasn't come in yet sad

May 04 05 07:36 pm Link