Photographer

L U C I M A

Los Angeles, California, US

Cheers JSG wink Hopefully the mansion won't have black mold ;P

Mar 15 11 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

JEN HERNANDEZ

Victorville, California, US

This looks fabulous. I will be on vacation that week. Maybe I need to take a trip to Vegas. smile

Mar 16 11 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Awesometographer

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

/checks photo funds account
/sees $13.75 of unallocated spending money

Dammit.

Mar 16 11 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Hope to see you in Vegas Jen smile

Mar 17 11 12:44 am Link

Photographer

REN LARA PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

Hope to see you in Vegas too Jen!! smile

Mar 17 11 10:32 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

https://media.komonews.com/images/070808_Red_Cross_logo.jpg

3/17/11 UPDATE: I will never forget watching the video of the gushing black waters from the Japanese tsunami that obliterated everything in its path. The water just would not stop.

And that was just the beginning.

Therefore, in light of the recent disasters that have hit Japan, I have decided to donate 100% of the profits from the April 16-17th to the American Red Cross to assist in the Japan earthquake/tsunami relief efforts. I know this is a small gesture, and ultimately a small donation, but I want to contribute to the relief efforts in Japan.

Isn't this just a marketing ploy? Don't I get a tax write-off from this? Sure (to both). But at the end of the day, I am fortunate to not be immediately affected by these disasters. I'm also fortunate to have executive decision-making power to donate the net profits from my workshop. My decision was ultimately influenced by wanting to give back to the world that has given me so much. Maybe I'm just a drop in the bucket in the total effort but I want to make a difference regardless.

Nothing else about the workshop has changed. We will still move forward with the original plan and intention. I'll have updates about styling shortly. Hopefully, I'll feel a little less guilty about having so much fun teaching fashion/editorial on an extravagant estate in Sin City!

If you would like to make an immediate donation to the Red Cross, just click the Red Cross logo above!

Mar 17 11 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Gerry Hanan

Round Rock, Texas, US

Ploys and write-offs aside - I salute your decision to donate to the Red Cross from your event - that just makes me wish 10x more that I could go. Much success to your event and to your studio.

Mar 18 11 09:49 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Thanks for the kind words Gerry. Workshop aside, hopefully the events stay on top of people's minds and everyone can contribute a little to help. Cheers!

Mar 18 11 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Model update:

Q: Who are the models?
A: So far it's Anneliese from NEXT, Brett from Zuri, Brea and Kaela from LA Models. Models subject to change though!
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UFBq7e1vBg0/TYTwr8DZkDI/AAAAAAAAAxY/omzPxYLj6eE/s1600/workshop-models.jpg

Mar 19 11 11:08 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: What kind of wardrobe options will there be?
A: I'm currently working with a few styling "options". It's important that we take advantage of the thematic nature of the location and play to the strengths. We'll have everything from gowns to swimwear.

Mar 20 11 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Rich Arnold Photography

L U C I M A wrote:
Model update:

Q: Who are the models?
A: So far it's Anneliese from NEXT, Brett from Zuri, Brea and Kaela from LA Models. Models subject to change though!
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UFBq7e1vBg0/TYTwr8DZkDI/AAAAAAAAAxY/omzPxYLj6eE/s1600/workshop-models.jpg

My favorite 4 models in L.A.!

Mar 20 11 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Rich Arnold Photography

L U C I M A wrote:
Q: What kind of wardrobe options will there be?
A: I'm currently working with a few styling "options". It's important that we take advantage of the thematic nature of the location and play to the strengths. We'll have everything from gowns to swimwear.

Gowns? Did you say gowns?  Whoa! Talk about portfolio busters.

Mar 20 11 07:35 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

LOL! Not sure if you're being serious, but these gowns should be pulls from showroom floors wink

Mar 20 11 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: Who is this workshop for?
A: This workshop is specifically geared towards fashion/editorial photographers being that it's a fashion/editorial workshop. That being said, the magic of the workshop is fashion/editorial + location + styling = learn how to shoot fashion/editorial on location + create strong fashion/editorial images that can build his/her portfolio. Therefore this workshop caters towards any photographer that is looking to expand their portfolio with fashion/editorial images. Furthermore, I think that this workshop assists help wedding photographers the most as their clients might request more fashion-oriented shoots.

Mar 21 11 11:17 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: Will you be showing us retouching and B&W conversions?
A: I will be spending lots of time showing post-processing in Photoshop and Lightroom as well as B&W conversions for the editorial images that we'll be shooting. Post-processing is particularly important for editorial when to retain consistency in the theme of the story.

Mar 21 11 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

D M E C K E R T

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AOP Studios wrote:

D M E C K E R T wrote:
if i wasn't a) a broke ass first year teacher saving to buy a house in the wonderfully depressed vegas market, and b) out of town that weekend...i'd be all over this. haha

You won't have to save much. 2 bedroom condos are going for $25K there. My bro sells them like hotcakes in Vegas.

i'll know if i have a job next year, and if i'm buying, sometime this summer. i may get in touch with you.

JSGPhotography wrote:

I know awesome opportunity if you could afford it.

open to hearing just about anything.

Mar 21 11 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

D M E C K E R T wrote:

AOP Studios wrote:

D M E C K E R T wrote:
if i wasn't a) a broke ass first year teacher saving to buy a house in the wonderfully depressed vegas market, and b) out of town that weekend...i'd be all over this. haha

You won't have to save much. 2 bedroom condos are going for $25K there. My bro sells them like hotcakes in Vegas.

i'll know if i have a job next year, and if i'm buying, sometime this summer. i may get in touch with you.

open to hearing just about anything.

Do I get my 3% for facilitating the transaction? wink

Mar 22 11 11:43 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: What is the importance of balancing light on location?
A: For any given location there will be ambient light. Your ability to use ambient depends on your assignment as well as your skills/experience. With the multiple sets on the estate we'll learn how to manipulate ambient light for either even exposure or for specific effects.

In the example below, I've balanced a strong backlight with a soft front light. I opted to use a large softbox to retain the soft nature of the set.

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5093/5538513843_f691ac0a80_z.jpg
Preview from MakeMeChic.com campaign. Shot with H3DII-31.

Mar 22 11 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: How much will be devoted to post-production, and how is this part going to be handled? (Classroom setting, we bring our laptops, or informally?)

A: You should definitely bring your laptop because we will be reviewing the different post-processing techniques for fashion and editorial. I have an editorial shoot that I'll be using as an example and we'll be examining in scrutiny all the styles and processes for creating a consistent editorial!

Additionally I'll be demonstrating retouching on images that we'll shoot in Las Vegas so you can see how what kind of adjustments and treatments I apply to for effect. It'll be more relevant if I use an image from the location.

So you should definitely bring your laptop. You'll be needing it to dump images onto as well as taking notes and looking at stuff in Photoshop. I estimate a good 1.5 hours of Photoshop goodness each day of the workshop smile I'll be projecting onto a white wall in the conference room of the estate to share my screen.

Mar 23 11 01:53 am Link

Photographer

L D Photography

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

Hey Charles....I already booked my flight to Vegas.   I needed a good excuse to go to Vegas and you really delivered.
  This workshop is going to be something else.  You are really going all out for this one.  This is the perfect way to work with a great team, location, agency models and learn from a professional plus see the Vegas sights. 
  I've learned my lesson from the last shoot with you....I'll go buy larger memory cards, they filled up fast last time.
LD

Mar 23 11 10:44 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers LD! smile You can never have enough memory cards... especially when you shoot constant light! smile

See you in Vegas!!!

Mar 24 11 12:12 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Update: Not to be an alarmist or anything but there are only 1-2 more slots at $895. Just FYI smile

Mar 24 11 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

GondolinImaging

Well I just signed up, so 1 more spot gone.

Mar 24 11 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Alan smile See you in Vegas!!! tongue

Mar 25 11 10:22 am Link

Photographer

LionsMilkPhoto

Mountain View, California, US

Just signed up. See you guys there!

-Sehmuz

Mar 25 11 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Sehmuz smile See you in Vegas!

Mar 26 11 10:37 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

1 slot remaining at $895 smile

Mar 26 11 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

JLim Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just signed up! Looking forward to this!

Mar 26 11 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Jerome! smile See you in Vegas ;P

Mar 27 11 11:48 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1CFAS3kPmVQ/TY6s31s4DpI/AAAAAAAAAxg/sc5yNv0fMHg/s1600/Wardrobe.jpg

Here are some of the options that one of the stylists is bringing. Yes, we'll have 2 stylists. There's also a small possibility that we might also run out to the strip after hours and do some night photography, depending on if the models are up for it smile

Mar 28 11 01:28 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Q: I would love to attend your WS in Vegas but unfortunately I am only able to attend the last last day of the 2 day event. Is this possible?

A: Please inquire for details! smile

Mar 28 11 09:07 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Jason Becker

Mount Holly, North Carolina, US

i would love to come and help for this workshop if you feel my work is of your standards

thank you

jason

Mar 29 11 02:49 am Link

Photographer

JLim Photography

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

These outfits look outstanding for our location! Getting more excited for this!

Mar 29 11 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Jason! smile Thanks for the endorsement!

Mar 30 11 10:39 am Link

Photographer

REN LARA PHOTOGRAPHY

San Francisco, California, US

Sweet wardrobe!!! do the come in my size?? LOL!!!

Dude i can't wait for the workshop!!!!

smile

Mar 30 11 01:12 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Jason Becker

Mount Holly, North Carolina, US

L U C I M A wrote:
Cheers Jason! smile Thanks for the endorsement!

your welcome lucima
you want me to put this on my calendar? 8)

Mar 30 11 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Cheers Jason! We've actually got a hair stylist already smile

Mar 31 11 12:14 am Link

Photographer

BOMALABS

Walnut, California, US

Hmmmmmmmm. I should go with you guys.

Mar 31 11 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JLim Photography wrote:
These outfits look outstanding for our location! Getting more excited for this!

I have to agree. Wondering about the gowns mentioned earlier...

Mar 31 11 02:50 am Link

Photographer

L U C I M A

Didn't think you guys would be so excited about the wardrobe wink I'll see if the other stylist can give us a glimpse as well!

Mar 31 11 12:49 pm Link