Forums > Model Colloquy > Bra/underwear lines

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

Stephen Markman wrote:
An answer coupling arrogance with ignorance.  Very unbecoming.

Stephen Markman wrote:
Better yet, since I don't recognize any of the models in your portfolio, feel free to contact any of the models in MY portfolio and set up shoots with them.

Yikes.

Oct 10 11 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Stephen Markman wrote:

Stephen, you could simply say "2 hours should be plenty" or whatever your actual answer is, instead of being accusatory.

Oct 10 11 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Guerrilla Photography wrote:
.... since she wants these to turn out right ....

While it's possible that nothing unexpected will happen - and her skin will be flawless from her nose to her toes, the likelihood is that there will be imperfections to be dealt with.

Don't underbudget either time or $$$ for retouching (there are so many good ones available for hire here), and I'm sure she'll be super happy with your work product.

Oct 10 11 01:46 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The loose clothing part gets kinda tricky when the shoot is in the winter...

Oct 10 11 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

A N D E R S O N

Rockville, Maryland, US

Stephen Markman wrote:
The question is ridiculous.

No two people are the same.  I've shot with models who can take their bra and underwear off and shoot right away - with NO marks - because they don't mark easily.

On the other hand, I've shot with models who had lines/marks a half hour after disrobing.

What makes this ridiculous is the notion that it is, in any way, your business to tell the model when she should or should not wear underwear or a bra.

If she's a professional, she'll know how long HER marks take to go away and will prepare accordingly.  If she's not a professional, I strongly recommend working with professionals.

I find the idea of YOU even concerning yourself with what she wears to bed the night before an evening shoot, or the day of the shoot, really creepy.

Really? I think it's totally reasonable and makes a lot of sense. I've heard it discussed many times...

Oct 10 11 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by BE

Midland, Texas, US

dave phoenix wrote:
Stephen, you could simply say "2 hours should be plenty" or whatever your actual answer is, instead of being accusatory.

Yeah, and it takes so little time and energy to say, "2 hours".

However, I have had women with large breasts, who wear tight bras that might take a bit longer.   The marks across their back  seem to cause the most problems.

Oct 10 11 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Enfire Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

I get asked all the time to not wear undies and a bra. there's nothing wrong with it. I understand that's what it takes to get good pictures.

yup, not creepy. just newb tongue

an hour or two should be enough so long as she isn't squeezed into what she is wearing
i would suggest sweatshirt/sweater and yoga or pj pants. it's what i generally wear when i think I'll do a partial nude shoot as a model

Oct 11 11 07:07 am Link

Model

Anne_C

Bellingham, Washington, US

I have very pale, sensitive skin but I find that removing anything tight 2-3 hours prior to a shoot is usually sufficient.  I typically wear NO bra, NO underwear, and my baggiest sweats to nude shoots -- don't want to make the photographer do any more photoshop work than necessary, right?

Typically I forewarn photographers I've not worked with before that I will show up in my baggy sweats to avoid lines -- just so they know there's a REASON I'm showing up dressed frumpy.  wink  Of course any experienced photographer will know this already, but many of my paying customers are new at shooting nudes.

Oct 11 11 08:05 am Link

Photographer

nudeXposed

Shanghai, Shanghai, China

Alisyn Carliene wrote:
I wear sweats, no undies, and a loose shirt no bra to avoid this. Most pro models will, at least nudes ones smile

this

Oct 18 11 08:52 pm Link

Model

Nedah Oyin

Chicago, Illinois, US

Stephen Markman wrote:

Dude, what the hell..? Coming in with guns blazing, trying to make the OP feel stupid, calling him creepy, and then NAME-DROPPING..? Are you kidding me..?

First, he said that he and the model are friends..

Second, it was HER QUESTION..

Third, he is a dude.. How the fuck is he supposed to know how long bra marks take to fade..? He's young, I doubt he has cohabbed with a woman yet..

Fourth, why are you being so goddamn MEAN..? He's not being presumptuous or demanding asking what she should wear the night before, HE SIMPLY HAS NO IDEA THAT IT DOESN'T MATTER.. Why can't you just say that and move on, instead of bullying him like that..? Quit throwing your weight around just because you can..

When did you get to be so damn mean..? Jesus..

Oct 19 11 04:03 am Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've seen marks from night before wardrobe. Is it common? Nah. But it can happen. If she's concerned about it, tell her to wear looser clothing and when she arrives, have her get naked or into a robe ASAP.

I don't see why there was such a need for snark, seems pretty straight forward.

Oct 19 11 05:23 am Link

Photographer

Klix Imagez

Tompkinsville, Kentucky, US

Make sure she drinks plenty of water stating a few days before the shoot. Being well hydrated always helps the skin in many ways.

Oct 19 11 05:48 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

The best way is not to wear a bra or panties before the shoot and you will not have any problems.  Simple. bs

Oct 19 11 12:46 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Generally staying hydrated helps get rid of marks.

Oct 19 11 04:12 pm Link

Model

Damianne

Austin, Texas, US

Natasha Ferguson wrote:
The loose clothing part gets kinda tricky when the shoot is in the winter...

I bought clothes in vancouver that layered well to solve that very problem.
Fucking canada is cold.

Oct 19 11 04:14 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Damianne wrote:

I bought clothes in vancouver that layered well to solve that very problem.
Fucking canada is cold.

Hey, can I ask you why you moved here?

Yeah, Canada is fucking cold. I find January and February the worst months ever.

Oct 19 11 06:44 pm Link

Model

CAIT M

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

So I'm doing a shoot that will in all probability be at least semi-nude and i was wondering what the best remedy is for those red lines that tight bras/underwear leave on your skin. normally my model would go braless at least the night before but she has an event to go to so that may not be an option for her, and i want to avoid using photoshop as much as possible. If she has them in the morning the day of the shoot is there any way to quickly get rid of them without makeup or digital manipulation? like a shower or something.

also how long should she go braless/in a thong to make sure she dosen't get the lines, would sleeping naked the night before and not wearing a bra that day do the trick or does she need more time.

the shoot is in the afternoon/early evening

Dude.  What the model wears to bed is not your concern.  I would be totally creeped out if a tog told me what I could or couldn't wear the night before a shoot.

I always wear a nude bra to shoots (granted I shoot fashion) and a top with a wide enough neckline that I can change without ruining my hair or makeup.  If the look requires implied topless or strapless or anything of the sort I will take off my bra before sitting down for makeup... an half hour later ta-da no marks.  If you aren't doing makeup you may just have to wait a while after the model turns up before shooting... depending on her figure it might not be feasible for her to take off her bra before rushing to your studio.

Oct 19 11 09:13 pm Link

Model

CAIT M

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Stephen Markman wrote:
A reminder about what to wear to the shoot is fine.

A (politely-worded) request that the model disrobe when she arrives, if she is wearing undergarments, is also fine.

This thread (at its inception) was about telling a model what she should wear the day before the shoot.  THAT is what struck me as "ridiculous."

+1

Get off his case.  Gawd.  OP didn't preface that she asked him.

Oct 19 11 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

A she's not a professional, I'm a student so i can't pay professionals, B she asked me i said i didn't know
remove thy stick from out thy ass

That should be 'from out thine...'

Otherwise I agree, not one of his finest answers.

Oct 19 11 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Umm this thread is from June. I doubt the OP is still looking for replies.

Oct 19 11 09:39 pm Link

Model

CAIT M

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

LOL

Oct 19 11 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Burroughs

Portland, Oregon, US

Natasha Ferguson wrote:

Hey, can I ask you why you moved here?

She has a thing for back bacon.

Oct 19 11 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Alisyn Carliene wrote:

rub in LOTS OF lotion into her skin. softens the skin.
I mean she rubs it in tongue not asking you to do so. haha

But then she might slip and fall down, and that could leave a mark! lol

Oct 20 11 07:47 pm Link