Forums > Photography Talk > Does anyone use a 52 " Larson Starfish?

Photographer

Photography by BE

Midland, Texas, US

I have had one stored away for many years, but thought I might try to use it again.  I know I have not used it since 2000, when I first started shooting digital.

Anyone use the Starfish.  Do you use it as a single light source?  Anyone have any examples they could share with maybe a brief description of how it was used?

Thanks so much.

Good Grief!   I just Googled and noticed this sells now for $599!

Jul 01 11 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Willie Sheldon

Grimes, Iowa, US

They are very proud of their pricing.  Must be expensive to manufacture anything in Florida.

Jul 01 11 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Photos by Lorrin

Eugene, Oregon, US

As I remember - design before their time.

But real heavy and awkward to mount.

Jul 01 11 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

I used to have several of the 32" ones.  Loved the light, however the metal ribs kept snapping and the cloth kept tearing and you think they were expensive new the replacements were worse.  I sold them all on eBay several years ago.  I saw the original owner, George Larson, give a lighting seminar at a convention many years ago.  He was brilliant with light and really good with a yo-yo.

Jul 01 11 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

David Krugley

Orland Park, Illinois, US

I used  the Starfish as a single light source with Elinchrom 600S light source.
A large 42x72  white reflector across from the light. It is very nice light. Work it in close to  the subject, and you don't need very much power to get outstanding results from this modifier. When handling it take your time to see that  the fabric is not tangled in the ribs. I was able to attach a Manfroto style 1/4 x20 threaded brass spigot  to the  metal plate and then attach that  to a Manfroto LIGHT TITE device to alllow it to  swivel foward/backward. It takes the weight  off of the  flash unit an onto the metal plate  that can handle  it better.

At this moment I don't have access to any images that I shot using it.
After it was packed away for soem time, I found mine about a month ago, and I'm wanting to get back to using it again. I beleive that you will be happy using it! If you want  an even softer light source,  you can drape over it a  translucent shower curtain. It may alter  the output by a 1/2 stop or so.
Good luck and happy shooting!

Dave

Jul 01 11 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

HDphotographer

Murrieta, California, US

I use it as my main light

Jul 01 11 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy DuBrul

Chicago, Illinois, US

Just broke out my old 32" and forgot how NICE the light is from it.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpt1/t31.0-8/11078258_10204473198245088_7446921015683273451_o.jpg

May 04 15 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

yup

love it

I have a ton of softboxes and umbrellas and stuff..but that is my go to modifier

May 06 15 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

chbphoto

Los Angeles, California, US

I used to use a 52" back in the 80s & 90s - as a main with a large rectangular box as a fill. Was a beautiful light. I also used a 72" for a while.

May 08 15 08:59 pm Link