Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Challenges, Contests, and Samples > Male Model Retouch: Great Highlights to D&B

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

Feel free to retouch at your discretion; however please do NOT apply or utilize fantasy retouching. Retouch as if you want to use this image as your resume to receive retouching assignments on males.

https://www.ronaldnztan.com/temp/TAN_20111007_365.jpg

Cool?

Here is the processed 16-BIT TIFF in ProPhotoRGB using CaptureONE PRO 6.3. I went ahead and corrected the skin colors to yield a basis for further manipulation.

http://www.ronaldnztan.com/temp/TAN_20111007_365.zip

I used my Photek Softlighter II on the photo left (aimed high to low) and the rim lighting on Jonny Dee on the photo right is from my 22" beauty dish.

Requires approval from me if you wish to use the image as an portfolio item. I do not required HIRES images. Please post your results at the maximum pixel width of 520. Anything beyond that stretches the MM forum.

Starter tips: this image is a great candidate to apply and practice your D&B and making Jonny "pop" out.

Oct 14 11 11:16 pm Link

Retoucher

The Focal Trip

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan wrote:
Here is the processed 16-BIT TIFF in ProPhotoRGB using CaptureONE PRO 6.3.

A question, Why do you work in ProphotoRGB?

Oct 15 11 02:23 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Binary

Prijedor, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

this is my result:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/697577/Retouching/small/TAN_20111007_365.jpg

let me know what you think and what could be improved - i'm not sure about the legs for example. i tried to remove and decrease the shadows, but then it looked a bit too perfect which i also didnt like, so i simply left them like they were.

Oct 16 11 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Los Angeles, California, US

[Redacted: Wrong profile]

Hi Michael,

For male retouching, "less is more." Since you asked, I like what you have done here. If I was retouching my own, I'd dodge a little more on the knot of the necktie. Do you see the subtle highlights that would make the necktie truly shine?

Michael Binary wrote:
this is my result:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/697577/Retouching/small/TAN_20111007_365.jpg

let me know what you think and what could be improved - i'm not sure about the legs for example. i tried to remove and decrease the shadows, but then it looked a bit too perfect which i also didnt like, so i simply left them like they were.

Oct 16 11 08:53 am Link

Photographer

ProPhotoRGB is the a large color space to "catch" all possible colors straight from my Canon RAW file. In this case, it was an arbitrary decision since I forgot to change back my settings when I exported into Photoshop from my CaptureONE PRO raw software converter.

This image (file) would have looked suitable in AdobeRGB1998.

Thank you for your question.

The Focal Trip wrote:

A question, Why do you work in ProphotoRGB?

Oct 16 11 08:56 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Binary

I like what you have done here. If I was retouching my own, I'd dodge a little more on the knot of the necktie.

I did a small revision since the file was still open, have a look again (i've overwritten the file, since i have it in my dropbox).

I guess a lot of people would hate doing that pixel level D&B , but i like it. It's kinda relaxing. Light & Shadow, One or Zero - totally mine.

So if you're happy with the result, let me know if i can use it in my portfolio. I want to replace the mediocre photos in my port one after another with good one like this.

Oct 16 11 09:55 am Link

Photographer

It looks great Michael. You can use for your portfolio. Thank you for asking. :-)

Michael Binary wrote:

I did a small revision since the file was still open, have a look again (i've overwritten the file, since i have it in my dropbox).

I guess a lot of people would hate doing that pixel level D&B , but i like it. It's kinda relaxing. Light & Shadow, One or Zero - totally mine.

So if you're happy with the result, let me know if i can use it in my portfolio. I want to replace the mediocre photos in my port one after another with good one like this.

Oct 16 11 11:20 am Link

Retoucher

MP_DigitalStudio1

Photo Dumped

Oct 16 11 11:36 am Link

Photographer

This is not a good try because you pulled the details out from the shadows. WHY?! You don't need to see all the details.

The point of this thread is to learn. I want to encourage you to dial down your effects to the bare minimum, keeping in mind that when it comes to male retouching, "less is more."

MP_Retouch1 wrote:
Here's my try.... still learning this stuff smile

https://i.imgur.com/vxWFv.jpg

Oct 16 11 12:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Michael Binary

It looks great Michael. You can use for your portfolio. Thank you for asking. :-)

Great, thank you! If you would like to have the high-res file let me know.

Oct 16 11 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

No, that will not be necessary, but thank you for being considerate.

Michael Binary wrote:

Great, thank you! If you would like to have the high-res file let me know.

Oct 16 11 12:47 pm Link

Retoucher

A Plus Retouching

Port Richey, Florida, US

Here is My go I Like it hope you do as well ^_^
https://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n582/VTboy99/Newest%20Retouches/1.jpg
Aaron

Oct 16 11 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron,

Watch your highlights. Try not to make the important highlights pass RGB values of 245, 245, 245. The forehead area were the eyes, and the glass meet is getting a little hot when I took your image into my Photoshop to get the color readouts.

As a retoucher, you should always think, "Will my image print well?" Good effort, but I think you missed it a little.

Ex-Quisite Retouching wrote:
Here is My go I Like it hope you do as well ^_^
https://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n582/VTboy99/Newest%20Retouches/1.jpg
Aaron

Oct 16 11 03:54 pm Link

Retoucher

DH Retouching

Orlando, Florida, US

Did quite a few things.  Desatted using the red channel as a layer mask on the subject but increased saturation on the tie, removed moles/blemishes, fixed a bit of hair, smoothed skin a tad but kept detail, mainly to even out shadowing.  Dodged highlights, burned shadows, did some pixel level D&B where necessary, blurred background to make grey more even (although now it posterized fir some reason), also reduced the noise on the background. 

Mind if I use in my ports: on here, dA, and Google+?

https://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2439/tan20111007365520.jpg

Oct 17 11 12:29 am Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

Ratingen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Here's my one:

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365

Oct 17 11 03:55 am Link

Retoucher

Candy Yam Retouching

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

Dump

Oct 17 11 07:51 am Link

Photographer

I am curious why you are extracting shadow information when it is not required?

sukra33 wrote:
Here's my one:

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365

Oct 17 11 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Jonny looks like a miniature Ken doll now. :-(

You're working with men, don't think like you're retouching women—seriously, "less is more."

I cannot in good conscience permit you to use this image in your retouching portfolio in its current state. Thank you for understanding. Thank you for wanting to practice your retouching.

DH Retouching wrote:
Did quite a few things.  Desatted using the red channel as a layer mask on the subject but increased saturation on the tie, removed moles/blemishes, fixed a bit of hair, smoothed skin a tad but kept detail, mainly to even out shadowing.  Dodged highlights, burned shadows, did some pixel level D&B where necessary, blurred background to make grey more even (although now it posterized fir some reason), also reduced the noise on the background. 

Mind if I use in my ports: on here, dA, and Google+?

https://img705.imageshack.us/img705/2439/tan20111007365520.jpg

Oct 17 11 09:39 am Link

Retoucher

DH Retouching

Orlando, Florida, US

Jonny looks like a miniature Ken doll now. :-(

You're working with men, don't think like you're retouching women—seriously, "less is more."

I cannot in good conscience permit you to use this image in your retouching portfolio in its current state. Thank you for understanding. Thank you for wanting to practice your retouching.

Because I like your image, and it's only the second male I've ever done.  Here's a second image, without the blur layer.  I am trying to get a feel for male retouching, and there are very few images on this site for men, at least when you talk about it's proportion to images of women.

https://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2439/tan20111007365520.jpg

Oct 17 11 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

How are your highlight reading on Jonny's forehead, that is the "important" highlights. Where as the highlight due to the rim lighting could so "over exposed."

I always like to keep my highlights at 245, 245, 245. At most, I'll go up to 250, 250, 250.

This is a vast improvement. Nail those highlights and I could see this image as your portfolio for male retouching.

Also: leave the noise in the background paper as I intended. No no is going to be "pixel peeping" in the background. I love "film" look which adds texture and life into the image.

I like the fact that you did not pull out the shaddows. Just because someone could use the shadows filter, it does not mean they should! [Depends on image to image].

DH Retouching wrote:
Because I like your image, and it's only the second male I've ever done.  Here's a second image, without the blur layer.  I am trying to get a feel for male retouching, and there are very few images on this site for men, at least when you talk about it's proportion to images of women.

https://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2439/tan20111007365520.jpg

Oct 17 11 02:15 pm Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

I am curious why you are extracting shadow information when it is not required?

Here you go, Sir:

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365_2.jpg

Oct 18 11 12:23 am Link

Retoucher

JWMedrano

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry but - does anyone care about the new rule about the photos posted here being for practice?

I don't get why I keep seeing each new post after new post of people making all these stipulations and saying what you can and can't do with the image. I thought the point was that this is a forum to provide photos for people to do whatever they want with?

I get the permission for portfolio usage, but that's really the only thing I think people should be saying about the photos being posted here; not 'you may do this but don't do that' and all of that. Why does it even matter what a person practices? What if I really like this photo but want to practice 'fantasy' retouching?

I also don't see the purpose in telling people what's 'required' when the goal is for them to practice producing beautiful images, a term which (correct me if I'm wrong) is relative to the viewer?

Oct 18 11 01:59 am Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Wenatchee, Washington, US

JWMedrano wrote:
I'm sorry but - does anyone care about the new rule about the photos posted here being for practice?

I don't get why I keep seeing each new post after new post of people making all these stipulations and saying what you can and can't do with the image. I thought the point was that this is a forum to provide photos for people to do whatever they want with?

I get the permission for portfolio usage, but that's really the only thing I think people should be saying about the photos being posted here; not 'you may do this but don't do that' and all of that. Why does it even matter what a person practices? What if I really like this photo but want to practice 'fantasy' retouching?

I also don't see the purpose in telling people what's 'required' when the goal is for them to practice producing beautiful images, a term which (correct me if I'm wrong) is relative to the viewer?

I agree but disagree with you (weird, huh).

What the OP is providing is an amazing picture for practice, and if I understand correctly, he is not even going to use the results at all so he is pretty mcuh helping others by doing this thread. That rule was added because of many people wanting their pictuers retouched for free.

Oct 18 11 02:26 am Link

Retoucher

Michael Binary

I think in retouching there is no "beautiful". There are rules of the market. Sure the viewer watches the picture, but the client pays you. I can't imagine that there is a serious client out there who comes to you and says "make this image beautiful". They will give you rules & guidelines and some of them are so basic that they are not even mentioned anymore ("less is more").

As a beginner i don't know the industry standards and i prefer threads like this over the "be-super-creative-and-do-whatever-you-want-with-my-picture"-threads with a simple "nice" as feedback or no feedback at all - or even worse - a "nice" as feedback for an obviously eye-cancer-causing retouch.

And after all: A good photo is always someone elses work and as I treat books from friends differently than my own ones, the same applies for a photo. But that's just my personal opinion.

Oct 18 11 03:16 am Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

JWMedrano wrote:

Constructive criticism is not bad. I guess it is better - for practise - to work for a clear specification. So if someone tells you not to use too much blur for example, or not to do a fantasy retouch on pics like that, it's for your own further development.
The really bad in this forum is the "work for free mentality" which is still often be found here. That should be prevented.

Oct 18 11 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Dan Skizz

London, England, United Kingdom

Okay here's my crack at it!

Nothing fancy, just skin clean up, toning and tried to make the clothing pop a little.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1952500/TAN_20111007_365edit-small.jpg

link to full size: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1952500/TAN_201 … dit-fs.jpg

Oct 18 11 07:57 am Link

Retoucher

JWMedrano

New York, New York, US

Oh well I wasn't trying to say that he's doing anything bad or anything like that. I just don't really get the purpose in questioning why people did something under the pretense that it's not 'required' or telling people how they can go about their practice. I've never seen someone at batting practice be told 'you can swing but no bunting and no swinging allowed if you think the ball is too fast' or anything like that.

I just think it's silly to stipulate things.

I agree that constructive criticism is good and all of that, and I do appreciate the additional feedback, but the fact to me is that this is a practice area, not a 'take my set of instructions and do what you can to produce something as close as I've instructed'. I don't enforce or make the rules, I just wonder.

Also, I see what you're saying about the comparison to a client, but I don't really agree all that much as the OP isn't anyone's client. Client's are looking for work done to pay for, and that's exactly what this isn't is - paid work. So I don't really think it's fair for someone to act like a client when they aren't one. Detailed feedback = cool, instruction and stipulation = not. That's just where I stand. I'm just put off by the fact that apparently there are expectations of me if I decide I wanna mess with this photo; expectations to do only things that are 'required' and not go in a direction that I want to practice in but in the direction the OP wants me to practice in. I just don't think that's very fair for those who like the photo but wanna do whatever they want with it.

Oct 18 11 09:58 am Link

Photographer

This is a great example of "less is more." I like this one. If you want, you're more than welcome to use towards your retouching portfolio.

I see that you enhanced what's already there and it is what I want everyone to get a feel—hence this practice thread.

Dan Skizz wrote:
Okay here's my crack at it!

Nothing fancy, just skin clean up, toning and tried to make the clothing pop a little.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1952500/TAN_20111007_365edit-small.jpg

link to full size: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1952500/TAN_201 … dit-fs.jpg

Oct 18 11 11:01 am Link

Photographer

How do you do Mr. Medrano:

The purpose of this thread is NOT to get a free retouch. If you are familiar with my works, you'll see that I have more than enough men's fashion and beauty images. I wanted to help others learn and get a feel for "proper" male retouching.

You are indeed correct that I am not their client, but in this scenario, I am their experienced friend and mentor. I believe the image I gave as practice is a great medium for practicing dodging and burning and the usual clean-up work that is like the Retouching 101. When I gave them feedback, I was polite and respectful of their vision. At the same time, telling them what is proper based on my experience and knowledge of male retouching.

Thank you for expressing your opinions and I hope you'll better see that the participants felt positive and beneficial with their practice experience.

Because I am not using any of their retouched works, I am not taking advantage of them. The participants volunteered themselves for the purpose of having a good male retouching image under their portfolio.

Yours sincerely,

Ronald Nyein Zaw Tan
http://ronaldnztan.com

JWMedrano wrote:

Oct 18 11 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Hiya Markus,

In the forums, I am a friend and informalities are encouraged. :-)

That is a much better improvement! You're almost there, buddy.

When I look at this image, I see that Jonny's right arm and right leg (photo left) is slightly more red. If I were to fix this. I'd use the Hue/Sat. adjustment curve and take the reds (in the reds drop down menu) down and use layer masking until the colors match.

I look forward to seeing your final touches. Thank you for participating in this practice thread.

sukra33 wrote:
Here you go, Sir:

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365_2.jpg

Oct 18 11 11:21 am Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

Hiya Markus,

In the forums, I am a friend and informalities are encouraged. :-)

That is a much better improvement! You're almost there, buddy.

When I look at this image, I see that Jonny's right arm and right leg (photo left) is slightly more red. If I were to fix this. I'd use the Hue/Sat. adjustment curve and take the reds (in the reds drop down menu) down and use layer masking until the colors match.

I look forward to seeing your final touches. Thank you for participating in this practice thread.

Hi Ronald,
thanks for your note. I've taken something out of the red - you were right, the arm and leg did not fit the rest of the body. Now I've learned a lot again, thank you for taking your time to this topic. it is better to get criticism than a false praise.

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365_3.jpg

Oct 19 11 12:03 am Link

Retoucher

lukau13

Trebinje, Republika Srpska, Bosnia and Herzegovina

My try.
HQ available.
https://i54.tinypic.com/11rytlk.jpg

Oct 19 11 04:52 am Link

Photographer

I like this one Luka. :-)

lukau13 wrote:
My try.
HQ available.
https://i54.tinypic.com/11rytlk.jpg

Oct 19 11 10:21 am Link

Photographer

You're almost at the finish line!

Take a look at Jonny's hair. Do you see the uneven areas? Combine burning with heal/clone to restore the hair patterns and you'll be complete.

The overall image has your look and vision of retouching and skin coloring...I am OK with it.

sukra33 wrote:

Hi Ronald,
thanks for your note. I've taken something out of the red - you were right, the arm and leg did not fit the rest of the body. Now I've learned a lot again, thank you for taking your time to this topic. it is better to get criticism than a false praise.

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365_3.jpg

Oct 19 11 10:24 am Link

Retoucher

Feldi the retoucher

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7194/50867375.jpg

i dont know if this counts like a fantasy retouch, if it does i apologize, if it doesn't, i have the high rez file.  May i put in my porfolio?
thanks.

Oct 19 11 11:55 pm Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

You're almost at the finish line!

Take a look at Jonny's hair. Do you see the uneven areas? Combine burning with heal/clone to restore the hair patterns and you'll be complete.

The overall image has your look and vision of retouching and skin coloring...I am OK with it.

here's another try:

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365_4.jpg

Oct 20 11 12:08 am Link

Photographer

YAY! You've reached the finish line. Good work and your learning spirit for improvement.

sukra33 wrote:

here's another try:

https://www.markuskister.com/modelmayhem/TAN_20111007_365_4.jpg

Oct 20 11 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

No need to apologize. Thank you for being creative. I do however think that the image is anachronistic and displaced. Why is this guy sitting on a stool in the middle of the desert?!

You see?

Thank you for playing and being creative.

Feldi the retoucher wrote:
https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7194/50867375.jpg

i dont know if this counts like a fantasy retouch, if it does i apologize, if it doesn't, i have the high rez file.  May i put in my porfolio?
thanks.

Oct 20 11 08:08 pm Link

Retoucher

Chaviit0

Wenatchee, Washington, US

Thanks for the image Ron! Hope you like it!
https://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3633/rontv.jpg

Oct 20 11 11:56 pm Link

Retoucher

MarkusKister Retouching

YAY! You've reached the finish line. Good work and your learning spirit for improvement.

thanks again ron, may i use this one in my port and personal website?

Oct 21 11 12:43 am Link