Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Free Critique From Established Beauty Photographer

Model

Chloe Shep

Lancaster, England, United Kingdom

Chace Photography wrote:

Your age isn't a problem necessarily, but your height could be depending on the industry. You have ok images. I would suggest against using the images that make you look your age or play off of it. What do you want from modeling?

(((chace)))

Im looking to go into commercial? which images do you suggest i remove? i love modelling its basically a passion and i want some money for uni smile thanks for the critique

May 21 12 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

S Turner wrote:

I'm still pretty amateur. Haven't done much fashion work at all, hoping to get there though! lol. Which photos don't "work"?

I totally understand; we all started somewhere. Here are the numbers and please keep in mind I'm going off of my own experience in the industry of commercial work...2,3,6,7,9,10,11,13,14. Also, when I say they don't work I'm meaning in the big picture. Images can add to or take away from the overall feel of a collection so it's not so much that they don't work overall; they just don't work with this collection per se.

May 21 12 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

cloclo wrote:

Im looking to go into commercial? which images do you suggest i remove? i love modelling its basically a passion and i want some money for uni smile thanks for the critique

I think commercial work would suit you well. Images 1,2,3,5,6, and 7 could be taken away with no harm to the overall collection. This is my opinion based on looking at the collection as a whole. You're quite welcome and please feel free to let me know if you upload more or have questions about which images to include in your port.

(((chace)))

May 21 12 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Ruan Heinse Photography

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Liked...

Actually.. I have more photos on my FB page if you want to take a look there?

https://www.facebook.com/TheRDesignPhotography

May 21 12 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

liked smile

May 21 12 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

The R Photography wrote:
Liked...

Actually.. I have more photos on my FB page if you want to take a look there?

https://www.facebook.com/TheRDesignPhotography

Looked at both...What type of photography do you enjoy most? Most of your images are quite standard as far as overall composition, but still ok. Maybe try some variation on lenses/angles for different looks? Keep shootin'!

(((chace)))

May 21 12 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

DanaColePix wrote:
liked smile

I looked at your site and the images on here; there are some good images. I would like to see some that push the creative envelope a little more though. Do you re-touch your own images?

(((chace)))

May 21 12 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Ruan Heinse Photography

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Thanks

I just started shooting recently again after about 2 years of absence..
Practice makes perfect! tongue but i still feel a bit rusty!

May 22 12 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

The R Photography wrote:
Thanks

I just started shooting recently again after about 2 years of absence..
Practice makes perfect! tongue but i still feel a bit rusty!

Very true! smile Just keep at it and good things will come...Let me know if you need help on anything; I'll give whatever advice that I can.

(((chace)))

May 23 12 06:46 am Link

Model

Jade Fairbairn

Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Liked smile Go for it smile

May 24 12 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Littlerock, California, US

OK - liked smile  So what say you?

May 24 12 12:24 pm Link

Model

Jeneva Jones

Murrieta, California, US

Liked smile

May 24 12 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Jade Fairbairn wrote:
Liked smile Go for it smile

The images in your port are ok. You have a good look and probably could book commercial work. It's better if you have commercially viable images for your book though to show potential clients. Maybe try to find a fitness photographer who is willing to create commercial images...?

(((chace)))

May 25 12 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Lucinda Wedge wrote:
OK - liked smile  So what say you?

You've created some great images. I particularly appreciate the editorial images that have a French theme. I only looked at your mm page so I couldn't get a real feel of niche. What do you enjoy shooting most?

(((chace)))

May 25 12 10:30 am Link

Model

bow beauty

Fresno, California, US

Liked! smile

May 25 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Jeneva Jones wrote:
Liked smile

There are some decent glamour images. Overall your port is ok. Taking some images out of your port could enhance the the feel because there are some that take away from it.

(((chace)))

May 25 12 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Chace Photography wrote:

You've created some great images. I particularly appreciate the editorial images that have a French theme. I only looked at your mm page so I couldn't get a real feel of niche. What do you enjoy shooting most?

(((chace)))

Thank you.  I enjoy shooting a story rich Fashion Editorial.  I don't put too many on MM.  They're mostly on my website.  MM is more for fun for me.

May 25 12 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Lucinda Wedge wrote:

Thank you.  I enjoy shooting a story rich Fashion Editorial.  I don't put too many on MM.  They're mostly on my website.  MM is more for fun for me.

I took a look at your site and am impressed at the depth of your books! Your 'movement' work is incredible! Keep shooting and creating beautiful images!

(((chace)))

May 26 12 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Lucinda Wedge

Chace Photography wrote:

I took a look at your site and am impressed at the depth of your books! Your 'movement' work is incredible! Keep shooting and creating beautiful images!

(((chace)))

Thank you once again smile

May 26 12 09:29 pm Link

Model

Lauren Sweeney-Fenton

London, England, United Kingdom

Chace Photography wrote:

Thanks for the comments and like! It's appreciated. It was hard to choose a best in port because you have several solid images. I think many of your images are commercially viable. I would take away some that don't work and just showcase the absolute best. Beauty work definitely is in line.

(((chace)))

Thank you and you're welcome! smile

May 27 12 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Strattons

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Me, too, please?

May 31 12 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Ade One

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Just liked your page!

May 31 12 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Strattons

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Cameronia wrote:
Me, too, please?

Just LIKED your FB page

Jun 01 12 02:12 am Link

Photographer

Raw and the cooked

Your thoughts?

Jun 01 12 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Craig March Photography

New Haven, Connecticut, US

im your 226th LIKE on FB!

just looking for what is lacking in my port. i know i am getting close to the edge of leaving the TF world but i know i have far to go before making a living at this.
- any tips or pointers?
- any thoughts as to what aspects to work on to further hone my skills?
- and finally, what do you like about the port?

Jun 01 12 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Cameronia wrote:
Me, too, please?

Love the husband/wife duo concept...port is limited but ok for hobbyists. Interesting take on wedding photography. Keep shooting!

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Street Portraitist wrote:
Just liked your page!

Angles are good, port overall is good. I would like to see a little more punch with regards to contrast. Most of the images are a bit soft for me but I like high contrast. Keep shooting!

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Strattons

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Chace Photography wrote:

port is limited

(((chace)))

Thanks so much, Chace!  Any thoughts on pix to add?  Also - just did some killer "R" rated shots.. would that confuse our port?

Chris & Nancy

Jun 04 12 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Cameronia wrote:

Thanks so much, Chace!  Any thoughts on pix to add?  Also - just did some killer "R" rated shots.. would that confuse our port?

Chris & Nancy

Chris and Nancy...my apologies, as the 'port is limited' was only a portion of my original post but my internet went down for a sec and it cut it off! Here's where I left off...

Port is limited but I really like the idea of wife/husband doing photography...I like the thematic approach you all take to wedding photography. Now, before I could answer your question I would need to ask you a few questions first if you don't mind? What type(s) of photography do you two enjoy the most? Are you wanting to create a port that is commercially sound?

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 03:16 pm Link

Model

Annie Blair Lieber

Brooklyn, New York, US

Just "Liked" you FB page...do you have any serious feedback for me? smile

Jun 04 12 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Craig March Photography wrote:
im your 226th LIKE on FB!

just looking for what is lacking in my port. i know i am getting close to the edge of leaving the TF world but i know i have far to go before making a living at this.
- any tips or pointers?
- any thoughts as to what aspects to work on to further hone my skills?
- and finally, what do you like about the port?

I have some questions for you...if you don't mind? What do you mean by 'making a living at this'? What do you enjoy shooting most? I saw plenty of fashion/beauty orientated pictures but I'm still not convinced that's what you enjoy most. I can answer your first two inquiries after I get some more information from you. As to the last part of your message...I like that you have a variety of ethnicities/body shapes and that you go from on-location to studio. Also, you move well from full body to 3/4 to shooting parts.

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Raw and the cooked wrote:
Your thoughts?

Your beauty work is good...quite standard. I would like to see more high-contrast and less soft light to balance your overall portfolio. Your 'other' pictures are conceptually interesting, especially the telephone line. Keep shooting!

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Annie Blair Lieber wrote:
Just "Liked" you FB page...do you have any serious feedback for me? smile

thanks for the 'like'...first, what type of modeling are you interested in getting into?

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Craig March Photography

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Chace Photography wrote:
I have some questions for you...if you don't mind? What do you mean by 'making a living at this'? What do you enjoy shooting most? I saw plenty of fashion/beauty orientated pictures but I'm still not convinced that's what you enjoy most. I can answer your first two inquiries after I get some more information from you. As to the last part of your message...I like that you have a variety of ethnicities/body shapes and that you go from on-location to studio. Also, you move well from full body to 3/4 to shooting parts.

(((chace)))

making a living means that i can regularly have clients who will want/need portrait work. i have already charged a few people for sessions here and there but it is nowhere near what i would need to make a living off of it. i know in my head already that in order to survive as a photographer i will have to diversify and pick up work as needed and am prepared to do engagement shoots, senior portraits, beach portraits, sport/event coverage, and even nightlife photography. I would love to build up one day to have my own studio on some artsy street with walk-up and corporate/contract business. I also know that in order to do all this I have to work at marketing and building a word of mouth following and get my name out etc. But being unable to quit my more than full-time job, I want to get better technically so that i am standing on a better foot when I want to take the leap into full-time photography.

As far as what i like to shoot...anything beautiful i suppose. High fashion is cool but its pretty hard to pull off working by myself. i enjoy location shooting due to the variety of scenes and backgrounds that can be found but it is challenging going out alone with just the model and trying to get everything "perfect." I set up a backdrop once in my condo and shot around with my wife and loved how i could control so much as far as light and not having to deal with the elements. (hence the dream to have my own studio one day). When I shoot location, i usually dont have a vision either. I tell the model to bring a few outfits, find a nice backdrop and start shooting. very go-with-the-flow type stuff.

i know there isnt a cure-all answer but looking for what if anything i could try to work on to improve my images. i know i need to work on directing the models to pose better but im just starting to delve into that aspect after my last shoot got some ho-hum reviews.

i feel like im rambling....let me know if i didnt answer your question....haha

Jun 04 12 04:32 pm Link

Model

Annie Blair Lieber

Brooklyn, New York, US

Chace Photography wrote:

thanks for the 'like'...first, what type of modeling are you interested in getting into?

(((chace)))

I am interested in getting into fashion, beauty or editorial...what do you think? smile

Jun 04 12 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Strattons

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Chace Photography wrote:
What type(s) of photography do you two enjoy the most? Are you wanting to create a port that is commercially sound?

(((chace)))

hi Chase,

I love spending the time with the sitter to get the shots 'right'.. Nancy seems to enjoy helping w/ the hair/makeup/wardrobe..

Yes - a commercially sound port would be exactly what we would like..  note - one concern w/ wedding photography (most of our stuff here is TFP - none of our commercial work) - are the brides schedules, LOL.  Boudoir/calendar/model work is much more relaxed - both are great..   Nancy has a real eye for candids, and seems to enjoy them.. so - not a 100% answer, I know.. perhaps another question to us might focus my response??

chris

Jun 04 12 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Craig March Photography wrote:

making a living means that i can regularly have clients who will want/need portrait work. i have already charged a few people for sessions here and there but it is nowhere near what i would need to make a living off of it. i know in my head already that in order to survive as a photographer i will have to diversify and pick up work as needed and am prepared to do engagement shoots, senior portraits, beach portraits, sport/event coverage, and even nightlife photography. I would love to build up one day to have my own studio on some artsy street with walk-up and corporate/contract business. I also know that in order to do all this I have to work at marketing and building a word of mouth following and get my name out etc. But being unable to quit my more than full-time job, I want to get better technically so that i am standing on a better foot when I want to take the leap into full-time photography.

As far as what i like to shoot...anything beautiful i suppose. High fashion is cool but its pretty hard to pull off working by myself. i enjoy location shooting due to the variety of scenes and backgrounds that can be found but it is challenging going out alone with just the model and trying to get everything "perfect." I set up a backdrop once in my condo and shot around with my wife and loved how i could control so much as far as light and not having to deal with the elements. (hence the dream to have my own studio one day). When I shoot location, i usually dont have a vision either. I tell the model to bring a few outfits, find a nice backdrop and start shooting. very go-with-the-flow type stuff.

i know there isnt a cure-all answer but looking for what if anything i could try to work on to improve my images. i know i need to work on directing the models to pose better but im just starting to delve into that aspect after my last shoot got some ho-hum reviews.

i feel like im rambling....let me know if i didnt answer your question....haha

Ok...so, saying that one wants to be a full-time photographer is a great place to start. I feel, from my own experience, that getting there takes a lot of shooting/passion/determination and a little bit of plain luck. Dedicate some time each week to shooting different things so that eventually you might come to a conclusion as to where your passion truly is; then, run to the end of the earth with it.

Now, as far as the meat of a photography business you will need things that pay the bills and it seems like you have a grasp of this concept already. Start small and grow. One thing to keep in mind when offering a variety of photographic services is your differential approach, or put another way the thing about your service that is different (besides you). There are plenty of photogs out there that offer exactly what you are offering so you have to attempt to divide the line and focus on a few prime things that can bring in revenue...these things might or might not be the things that you enjoy whole heartedly like I spoke of previously, but either way you will have some niche.

With regards to the technical aspect of photography...this will come, also, with shooting a lot! I once read the words of a world renowned photographer that said, you won't get a decent image until you've shot about 10,000 bad ones (I paraphrased this).

So...the moral to the story is to keep shooting. Please let me know if you have any specific technical questions, business questions, or even general questions about photography as a whole.

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Annie Blair Lieber wrote:

I am interested in getting into fashion, beauty or editorial...what do you think? smile

Assuming that we are looking at these industries under the same lens and with the same definition...there are industry standard height/weight requirements for high fashion typically. With editorial and beauty work there is a little more leg room. Having said that, I see you most in editorial type work within the Euro market. iD and Zink seem up your alley.

(((chace)))

Jun 04 12 08:12 pm Link

Model

Elesha Eden

liked
x

Jun 05 12 04:51 pm Link

Photographer

Chace Photography

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Elesha Eden wrote:
liked
x

Your series of photos is ok. It could be better. Dance takes strength and grace...so does modeling. You must have control over your body and know your body's position while maintaining a relaxed feel. Some of your images look stiff/static. I don't think the abstract looks work in your favor. I like you in beauty perhaps or evan commercial work. I commend you on your drive and passion. Keep up the good work!

(((chace)))

Jun 05 12 05:09 pm Link