Forums > Photography Talk > I'm shocked about Alien Bees!

Photographer

129 Imaging

Jacksonville, Florida, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Many people here have stated how much they love their AB's.  Yeah, I get that.
I'm just trying to figure out how and why the units consistently sell for about the same price as a brand new unit directly from the company.

Yes, I know "auction fever" can come into play.  I understand that it may be cheaper to have a private person ship it outside of the continental USA.  In reality, those may be contributing factors, but unlikely to be a factor in a majority of cases.

For the people that just want to come here and say nothing more than "I love my AB's", thanks, but that's not really what this thread is about.  I'm really interested in finding out why people are paying so much for them... so now I'll pose other more specific questions to help find the answer to my original post.

IF YOU PURCHASED USED (or "preowned"), AND PAID CLOSE TO RETAIL (within 10% of the price of a new unit):
Why did you purchase them at the price?  Did you feel that the need to save $25 or so outweighed the need for a brand new, shiny object with a full warranty?
Was it because it was available from someone close to your location and can get them immediately?  Were they out of stock at PCB?  Or was it another reason?

Tnx!

My main point was not that I love them but that it has been this way for yrs. The love of the product and company is part of the ans though. Look at Apple,  why are they able to get so much? Like someone else said compared to what most strobes cost the ebay prices are still a deal to the buyer. I think they know what the price is cuz I dont remember seeing anything go for more than the PCB price but they will get right up to it (maybee the thrill of winning is a bonus for em.)  The reputation of the product, as time has shown, makes people pay, even on ebay, thats all I have to say, have a great day. smile

Apr 12 12 04:59 am Link

Photographer

JC Dalman

Ventura, California, US

O I love them bees. Been using it for years now I replace them with einstein.  And I love them even more. And I sold my old Bees just knocking off $40 after years of used and in pristine condition they hold their value alright.

Apr 12 12 05:30 am Link

Photographer

redbanana

Lexington, Kentucky, US

I discovered this issue when I went to pick up a coupe used AB and discovered how much used went for. I didn't waste time buying 2 year old units for $30 cheaper than new. Needless to say I bought brand new ones and ended up saving money as they discount the more you buy.

Apr 12 12 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Chris Addams

Pittsfield, Massachusetts, US

After 5 years, I've had three of my four AB1600s die on me due to some serious abuse. $40 a piece, and they're all repaired.

Just get them fixed. PCB has great service!

Apr 12 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Fialkowski Photography

Meridian, Idaho, US

I picked up my 1600's for about 80% of retail via eBay. The only reason I got them that cheap was the auction ended during the Super Bowl. Not as much competition.

Apr 14 12 06:23 pm Link

Photographer

BEHOLDER Art

Monroe, Louisiana, US

I love my Alien Bees.... now i just need to get the new mini power pack!

Apr 14 12 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Chris Addams wrote:
Just get them fixed. PCB has great service!

PCB needs great service to stay in business! Personally I'd rather buy something that never needs to go in the shop vs something that will break often but has a good warranty.

Apr 15 12 04:39 am Link

Photographer

rey sison photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Ebay is like poker. Some people just don't know when to fold.

Apr 15 12 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

Robb Mann wrote:

PCB needs great service to stay in business! Personally I'd rather buy something that never needs to go in the shop vs something that will break often but has a good warranty.

I've had mine for nearly 10 years - on and off location, dropped dozens of times - and no problems yet (knocks on wood desk).

Apr 15 12 09:33 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Bill Tracy Photography wrote:

I've had mine for nearly 10 years - on and off location, dropped dozens of times - and no problems yet (knocks on wood desk).

I have several speedotron packs that were used commercially in a high voulme multiple photographer studio for over two decades without an issue.  I am %100 positive ABs could not handle the same workload in the same environment.  The real issue is are they good enough for you and not if they are professional grade (they are not).

Apr 15 12 09:47 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Well I just listed mines if someone is looking for a b800

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320888877279?ss … 1555.l2649

Apr 15 12 09:49 am Link

Photographer

JMHSPhoto

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

AJScalzitti wrote:
I have several speedotron packs that were used commercially in a high voulme multiple photographer studio for over two decades without an issue.  I am %100 positive ABs could not handle the same workload in the same environment.  The real issue is are they good enough for you and not if they are professional grade (they are not).

Horse Pucks.

From Elinchrom packs to ProFoto packs and heads, I've been through $18,000 in lighting (and rented others) in the last 15 years. To try and let on these units are any more 'professional' than the AB units or E640's is laughable.

I've had all makes of these units go tits up on me at some point in time, it's one thing or another. With an E640, I get all the flexibility needed in the field or in studio I could ever want and not have a 5 or 6 thousand dollars tied up in gear.

I had an Elinchrom unit sent out with socket issues. Dam near $1,100.00 not including shipping to repair it. You probably can show me these units that have been running problem free for that long. And I can show you all those makes with the horror stories, and repair bills to prove it.

With well over 15,000 - 30,000 exposures on the E640 units, only a modeling lamp needed to be replaced. AND.. I have the added bonus of being able to adjust my lights in a visual manner via PCB CyberCommander without tripping over wires. I couldn't do that for 6 grand of wires, heads, sockets and huge repair bills. I also get the MINI Vagbond units that can be used for just about anything as another added perk to buying into this completely flexible system.

My point is this. If your banging away at the quality or the usability OR the functionality of the PCB units, your barking up the wrong tree and clearly have not used any of these units personally. I've been shooting in house since 1980 and have not had better equipment for the buck (and even that notwithstanding) in all those years.

Apr 19 12 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Adam Chilson

Hesperia, California, US

ABs are not high performance, primo photography gear. However, you can beat the crap out of them, use them forever, and take them places you'd be afraid to risk your expensive gear. If you do happen to break them, repairs are easy and inexpensive. It's like that beater pickup truck or car that never dies. Even if you don't use it every day, you keep it around just in case. I'd imagine that's why resale value holds where it is.

Apr 22 12 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

PTPhotoUT

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I think as soon as my PCB coffee can White Lightenings wear out, I'll replace them with Alien Bees.

Apr 22 12 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Leavitt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

PTPhotoUT wrote:
I think as soon as my PCB coffee can White Lightenings wear out, I'll replace them with Alien Bees.

+1

Though I hope they come out with a bee version of the x3200. I'd love a newer 1320ws / 340ws strobe.

Apr 22 12 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Per R

Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

AlienBees cost a lot more in Europe than in the US. My guess is people make a small profit buying from the US store and selling on ebay with shipping to Europe.

Apr 23 12 04:27 am Link