Forums > Model Colloquy > Self injury and modelling?

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

Just wondering what peoples views are?
For starters. Self injury is NOT scars. So photographers - what would you do if a model turned up with fresh 'injuries'? and models - what would you do about it?

Secondly, what about scars?

May 11 12 09:24 am Link

Model

Bella la Bell

Kansas City, Missouri, US

... are you talking about self mutilation?
If you are, if I was a photographer I would want to question your emotional stability and might want to get you some professional help... or contact your family about it.

I hope that is not something you are dealing with, if so we do have a support group here on MM if you would like to just read some of the old posts that people have posted on there....

May 11 12 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I've only worked with one model who had scarring, and I actually didn't realize it for what it was until I was editing the images.   I photoshopped them out.

For the most part I feel what models do in their personal life is none of my business.  Also, I am not a friend, family, counselor, medical professional or even someone who knows the actual history behind what I see,  so unless I feel there is an immediate threat to their safety, my reaction is probably to do nothing, unless asked.  (and obviously if it interferes with the shoot.)

May 11 12 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Yan Tan Tethera

Biggleswade, England, United Kingdom

One of the actors in my first movie had significant and I mean significant self-scarring. Many of us were upset by this but a better- balanced person would have been hard to find. She explained that the demons were all in her past.

Everyone fell in love with her and she is now a regular on
US television.

May 11 12 10:51 am Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If a model shows up somehow different then their portfolio I would send them away.  It doesn't matter if it's self injury, gaining weight, age, or accidental injury the shoot isn't going to happen.  Now for some of that I can reschedule obviously but it's not a given or anything.

May 11 12 10:55 am Link

Model

Raquel Rayne

New York, New York, US

I have a very noticeable (though now faint) set of scars of various lengths and widths on my left bicep from past self-mutilation.

To my frequent surprise, most of the time the photographer notices and inquires. Never have I been turned away. In fact, the majority of the time, the photographer asks my permission to leave the scars in the photo. I respond by saying I would not be offended either way if they left them in or "shopped" them out. I am an art model, though, where I feel I am allowed more leeway with my "flaws." And even though they are noticeable in person, they don't typically show up very conspicuously in photographs. Here are some examples of where they appear the MOST noticeable:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2jy7 … 1_1280.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyndh … 1_1280.jpg

ETA:

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
In the end, for me it's not about the way you look.  It's all about the person you are and how we get along together.

Thank you for stating this. My cutting days were part of a dark emotionally intense phase when I was younger. I am an artist, and am definitely subject to my own passions. However, I am also a patient, caring, loving person who works hard. These qualities aid in my ability to model effectively. Those days are long behind me. I would not want someone to continually judge me based on a past version of myself.

May 11 12 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

I shot with a model once who was a cutter.  She had scars on her arms and legs.  That I could deal with.  She was really...weird...though, which made for a difficult shoot.

Then again, I shot another model who also had a lot of cutting scars on her arms and shoulders, who turned out to be just a great girl and easy to get along with.  I'd gladly shoot with her again.

In the end, for me it's not about the way you look.  It's all about the person you are and how we get along together.  I've shot with absolutely gorgeous women who were flat out snobby and rude.  I wouldn't shoot with them again if they paid me. Winning personality is the far more important to me than looks or physical flaws.

May 11 12 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

If it is an agency model, the answer is obvious.

If the FRESH injuries conflict with clothing/beauty requirements for the day, then I would probably have to politely thank the model and send them home. Much as it is tempting to play the "white knight" it's an issue requiring professionals, not photographers, also I could simply be feeding an attention-seeker.

I have dealt with extreme emotions in the past and people having breakdowns after incidents the night before, but no-one ever turned up with self-injury. Would a photographer scratch his camera lens before arriving to a shoot? I don't think self-injury is something I really have to pity, sympathize with or accomodate, especially if I paying money to find a professional service. Models are not employees, but temporary suppliers/workers. Simply not my responsibility on a 1 day project.

Scars are fine, as long as either you or the mua knows about them.

May 11 12 11:03 am Link

Model

Darling Kyttie

Fremont, California, US

Scar is one of my favourite models.

That is honestly all I have to say about this at the moment.

May 11 12 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Chapman Photography AGD

Modesto, California, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
For the most part I feel what models do in their personal life is none of my business.  Also, I am not a friend, family, counselor, medical professional or even someone who knows the actual history behind what I see,  so unless I feel there is an immediate threat to their safety, my reaction is probably to do nothing, unless asked.  (and obviously if it interferes with the shoot.)

I agree.  I tend to be concerned/caring about who I work with but would never consider interfering unless invited to do so (I have twice with models that asked).

May 11 12 11:41 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

we've had several models with what looked like cutting scars on their arms. i didn't mention it. and photoshop can usually take care of that. if a model came in with fresh wounds that might kind of freak me out a little unless it was a gore shoot.

my advice to people would be don't hurt yourself. but i guess it's not that simple.

May 11 12 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Lauren A Farrington

Sunderland, Massachusetts, US

Bella la Bell wrote:
If you are, if I was a photographer I would want to question your emotional stability and might want to get you some professional help... or contact your family about it.

I hope that is not something you are dealing with, if so we do have a support group here on MM if you would like to just read some of the old posts that people have posted on there....

Self-mutilation is actually an outdated term; it's referred to as self-injury or self-harm nowadays. Self-mutilation implies only mutilating yourself, as in cutting or burning. Self-injury or self-harm widens the spectrum to include other harmful behaviors.

Furthermore, having self-injury scars or wounds is no reason to question a person's emotional stability. It does not mean they're a big bowl of crazy who can't do their job. Professional help is a nice sentiment, I guess, but it would actually be really shitty if you flat out told a model you question her sanity by saying they need professional help. It's insulting to assume they're not right in the head just because of their scars/wounds, even if they aren't. That's their business, and whether or not they get help is their decision. Just like smokers or alcoholics.

I think it depends on the content. It would probably be an issue with commercial or fashion work, though depending on the scars, they can be covered with makeup or photoshopped out. Most models with self-injury scars post that information on their profiles (not necessarily that they self-injure, but just that they have scars) and seem to get plenty of work, paid and otherwise. Many of those I've seen, though, are alt/nude models.

I would never want a model to show up with FRESH wounds, like, hardly even scabbed over wounds. That wouldn't be ok, as it could interfere with wardrobe or makeup, and the model could be opening herself up to potential infection. But if they were made the day before, it shouldn't pose any problems or interfere with the shoot.

OP, if you're dealing with self-injury, I would make some mention of scarring on your profile. Just like it's totally not cool to show up an extra ten pounds heavier than in your photos, it's not ok to show up with scars not otherwise displayed in your portfolio. You don't have to disclose any personal information, but giving photographers a head's up about your scars is a good idea.

May 11 12 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

The scars bother me beyond the point of just being able to edit them out, because I can't help but think about what's behind them.  Whatever the reasons some do it, whether it's self-loathing during a painful place in their lives, or as part of a sick recreation, it's pretty morbid to me.  It's a cousin to suicidal tendencies if it comes from the emotional place and that makes me the most uncomfortable.  I've photographed accident and surgery scars, but the self-mutilations weird me out too much.  Regardless of how some therapist has tried to soften the name of it, it's just as serious.

May 11 12 12:57 pm Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

OmnyRa wrote:
The scars bother me beyond the point of just being able to edit them out, because I can't help but think about what's behind them.  Whatever the reasons some do it, whether it's self loathing during a painful place in their lives, or as part of a sick recreation, it's pretty morbid to me.  It's a cousin to suicidal tendencies if it comes from the emotional place and that makes me the most uncomfortable.  I've photographed accident and surgery scars, but the self-mutilations weird me out too much.

I have scars from cutting. However, I have never been suicidal.

May 11 12 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

OmnyRa

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Scarlett Candee wrote:

And there are others who are. I know this from 6+ years employment at a juvenile youth shelter.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking from a place of condemnation.  It's about having trouble focusing on the model as a person when the cuts make me think about their life, whether it's my business or not

May 11 12 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Dakota Art Nudes

Long Prairie, Minnesota, US

Two of my very best models are cutters. I pose them to avoid showing fresh wounds and I leave the scars in the photos, it is part of each models individual beauty.

May 11 12 01:06 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Bella la Bell wrote:

Yes self mutilation. I'm glad you're not a photographer because I'd actually find that offensive!

Thankyou for your worries but i'm just asking a question smile

May 11 12 02:33 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

OmnyRa wrote:
The scars bother me beyond the point of just being able to edit them out, because I can't help but think about what's behind them.  Whatever the reasons some do it, whether it's self-loathing during a painful place in their lives, or as part of a sick recreation, it's pretty morbid to me.  It's a cousin to suicidal tendencies if it comes from the emotional place and that makes me the most uncomfortable.  I've photographed accident and surgery scars, but the self-mutilations weird me out too much.  Regardless of how some therapist has tried to soften the name of it, it's just as serious.

Reading the first line I expected this to be offensive. I read it through fully. You've just given me a whole new perspective on the whole thing. I totally understand.

May 11 12 02:41 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Dakota Art Nudes wrote:
Two of my very best llamas are cutters. I pose them to avoid showing fresh wounds and I leave the scars in the photos, it is part of each llamas individual beauty.

I've heard many people who say that scars are beautiful. Interesting.

May 11 12 02:43 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Lauren A Farrington wrote:

Self-mutilation is actually an outdated term; it's referred to as self-injury or self-harm nowadays. Self-mutilation implies only mutilating yourself, as in cutting or burning. Self-injury or self-harm widens the spectrum to include other harmful behaviors.

Furthermore, having self-injury scars or wounds is no reason to question a person's emotional stability. It does not mean they're a big bowl of crazy who can't do their job. Professional help is a nice sentiment, I guess, but it would actually be really shitty if you flat out told a model you question her sanity by saying they need professional help. It's insulting to assume they're not right in the head just because of their scars/wounds, even if they aren't. That's their business, and whether or not they get help is their decision. Just like smokers or alcoholics.

I think it depends on the content. It would probably be an issue with commercial or fashion work, though depending on the scars, they can be covered with makeup or photoshopped out. Most models with self-injury scars post that information on their profiles (not necessarily that they self-injure, but just that they have scars) and seem to get plenty of work, paid and otherwise. Many of those I've seen, though, are alt/nude models.

I would never want a model to show up with FRESH wounds, like, hardly even scabbed over wounds. That wouldn't be ok, as it could interfere with wardrobe or makeup, and the model could be opening herself up to potential infection. But if they were made the day before, it shouldn't pose any problems or interfere with the shoot.

OP, if you're dealing with self-injury, I would make some mention of scarring on your profile. Just like it's totally not cool to show up an extra ten pounds heavier than in your photos, it's not ok to show up with scars not otherwise displayed in your portfolio. You don't have to disclose any personal information, but giving photographers a head's up about your scars is a good idea.

Thankyou for this. For not only explaining to the other poster. But also answering my question and adding an add-on!

I have not mentioned scarring on my profile but I do tend to mention it in a private message once the photographer has approached me about a shoot. I guess i don't really want everyone who looked at my profile to know I have scars?
That being said. If its the best thing to do. I'll put it right out there.

I wasn't on about 'fresh' straight out bleeding wounds. *shiver* I was on about the night before kind of things. I seen someone post above about not scratching a camera lens the night before. It is difficult, though. And like scratching a lens, can't always be helped.

Thanks!
Fran

May 11 12 03:13 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

thanks

May 11 12 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

wtf?

May 11 12 04:24 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Gary Melton wrote:
wtf?

why wtf?

May 11 12 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

home you go.

May 11 12 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Gary Melton wrote:
wtf?

Frann Lazzari wrote:
why wtf?

wtf?

May 11 12 04:31 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Capitol-Imaging-Group wrote:
home you go.

Even with scars?

May 11 12 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Gary Melton wrote:
wtf?

Frann Lazzari wrote:
why wtf?

Gary Melton wrote:
wtf?

...seriously...you don't see how ludicrous it is to ask about shooting a model who self-mutilates?!  Self-mutilation is a serious subject with serious psychological roots.  'Sorry, but it seems to me that your thread kinda trivializes the issue.

May 11 12 04:34 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Gary Melton wrote:

Gary Melton wrote:
wtf?

wtf?

Would that be your insulted and highly immature response to this matter?...

May 11 12 04:34 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Gary Melton wrote:

Gary Melton wrote:
wtf?

Frann Lazzari wrote:
why wtf?

...seriously...you don't see how ludicrous it is to ask about shooting a model who self-mutilates?!  Self-mutilation is a serious subject with serious psychological roots.  'Sorry, but it seems to me that your thread kinda trivializes the issue.

self mutilation is a form of coping. just like drinking or smoking or doing drugs.
i know a lot of photographers shoot models who have those kind of addictions so why not this one?

my thread does nothing of the sort.

May 11 12 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Frann Lazzari wrote:
self mutilation is a form of coping. just like drinking or smoking or doing drugs.
i know a lot of photographers shoot models who have those kind of addictions so why not this one?

my thread does nothing of the sort.

I have a degree in psychology and a few years experience working in psychiatric hospitals...including working with young women who cut.  It is a serious problem, which should not be treated lightly...like discussing in a photography/modeling forum whether you would shoot with them or not.

/end of thread

May 11 12 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Gary Melton wrote:

Shooting someone with fresh scars is feeding the loop of self-injurious behaviour (admittedly, perception of rejection (by being sent away) may trigger it too.).

edit: should delete this as Gary closed the thread while I was thinking over my comment.

May 11 12 04:44 pm Link

Model

Dekilah

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I would handle this the way I would handle any other physical injury, no matter where I thought it came from. If I were a photographer I would expect to be told in advance that you may show up with fresh injuries with some sort of indication of possible specifics as to what those might be. This is just like I would expect to be notified of any other change to your appearance such as skin issues (I have had poison ivy before, for example), hair color/style changes, etc. This is assuming these injuries would be something I would have to deal with in some way as the photographer, either via Photoshop or deciding to leave them in the photo, or what not.

As far as my assumptions on where they came from... I have been around this a lot and while I do not consider myself an expert by any means, I do know that not every one who cuts, burns, scars, etc themselves are suicidal. Unless you gave me some really strong indication that you were going to fatally harm yourself, I would stay out of it.

As for the scarring, again, I would expect it to be handled just like any other noticeable body modification such as tattoos, large birthmarks etc. Simply outline it within your profile or when you discussing booking a shoot.

May 11 12 04:45 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Gary Melton wrote:

I have a degree in psychology and a few years experience working in psychiatric hospitals...including working with young women who cut.  It is a serious problem, which should not be treated lightly...like discussing in a photography/modeling forum whether you would shoot with them or not.

/end of thread

wait what exactly have i done wrong.

May 11 12 04:54 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

MKPhoto wrote:

Shooting someone with fresh scars is feeding the loop of self-injurious behaviour (admittedly, perception of rejection (by being sent away) may trigger it too.).

edit: should delete this as Gary closed the thread while I was thinking over my comment.

thread looks open to me!

true. then again, its whether they have more serious issues than just self injury (eg, fear of rejection, etc)

May 11 12 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

In Balance Photography

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Despite some possibly very difficult issues being dealt with , that model showed up to my shoot. Unless there's a major conflict between the look of the shoot and the evidence of self harm, the shoot goes on.

May 11 12 04:57 pm Link

Model

74fd5ts90ooagf

Yan Tan Tethera wrote:
One of the actors in my first movie had significant and I mean significant self-scarring. Many of us were upset by this but a better- balanced person would have been hard to find. She explained that the demons were all in her past.

Everyone fell in love with her and she is now a regular on
US television.

i like that story!

May 11 12 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

MKPhoto

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Frann Lazzari wrote:

thread looks open to me!

true. then again, its whether they have more serious issues than just self injury (eg, fear of rejection, etc)

You posted an insightful comment in the other thread...

May 11 12 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

Frann Lazzari wrote:
wait what exactly have i done wrong.

My last contribution here...

Let me see if I can give you some perspective here - what would you think of the following thread topics:

- If a model showed up with schizophrenia, would you shoot her or not?

- If a model showed up with bi-polar disorder, would you shoot her or not?

- If a model showed up with a personality disorder, would you shoot her or not?

Your topic is a bit like "if a model showed up at your door looking like she was a victim of an attack on the way to your location...would you shoot them anyway?"

The topic of cutting is a lot more serious than just deciding whether to shoot her or not.  It's not just a "form of coping", it's an aberrant and destructive form of coping.

If you wanted to start a thread topic something like "how would you respond to a model who showed up for your photoshoot, if it appeared that she had obviously been cutting?"...that might be appropriate, though in reality, probably not.

...get the picture now?

May 11 12 05:26 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

Scarlett Candee wrote:

same, all I have to say to anyone who is cutting is please. Please, please stop. You're going to regret it so much someday. &photographers; I can't even. How could you do that? There's two types of bad people:/

May 11 12 11:14 pm Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

If I was a photographer, I wouldn't work with them. Old scars are different, if they're from a time when you were in a darker place and feel better now (so I don't have issues with scars per se, I have a large one on my arm from an operation, another one on my back from an accident and  a couple small ones from being a tomboy half my life big_smile). It's just that I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting a model who isn't happy like that. Same reason I would not shoot a model who is thin because of an eating disorder.

I wouldn't be mean about it though, but I just really couldn't. I hope you are getting professional help, good luck!

May 11 12 11:20 pm Link