Forums > Model Colloquy > A scathing article on the "Internet Model"

Model

Nico K

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand

I had a quick check to see if anybody has already posted this, but couldn't find any. Apologies if this is already up, but I thought this was rather interesting and would love to hear thoughts.

http://elitedaily.com/elite/2012/elite- … net-model/
Elite Obituary: The Internet Model

"These internet models are some of the more disingenuous persons in society: not only do internet models scream out for attention by demanding a place on the fashion scene, they also cheat their way onto the screens of millions of users. Meanwhile, the actual chance of these girls’ wistful dreams of fashion fame are near zero, even with digital surgery."

Jeez, where is all this hating coming from??
For me, the modeling that I do is not about wanting to get my foot in the door of conventional fashion modeling - far from it...
It's about creating and owning my own form of media and controlling my own image (at least the ones that I have rights to) and exploring my own creative means...

Nobody would write an article like this about amateur bands or photographers, so what the hell at models getting the bash like this tongue

May 28 12 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

Nico K wrote:
I had a quick check to see if anybody has already posted this, but couldn't find any. Apologies if this is already up, but I thought this was rather interesting and would love to hear thoughts.

http://elitedaily.com/elite/2012/elite- … net-model/
Elite Obituary: The Internet Model

"These internet models are some of the more disingenuous persons in society: not only do internet models scream out for attention by demanding a place on the fashion scene, they also cheat their way onto the screens of millions of users. Meanwhile, the actual chance of these girls’ wistful dreams of fashion fame are near zero, even with digital surgery."

For me, the modeling that I do is not about wanting to get my foot in the door of conventional fashion modeling - far from it...
It's about creating and owning my own form of media and controlling my own image (at least the ones that I have rights to) and exploring my own creative means...

Nobody would write an article like this about amateur bands or photographers, so what the hell at models getting the bash like this tongue

That article will have zero effect on the landscape of things so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

May 28 12 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Los Angeles, California, US

Do they have an actual print edition?

Or are they just an "internet magazine?"

May 28 12 11:08 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

"modeling is a viscous career?"

I need that on a T-shirt

May 28 12 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

K E E L I N G

Peoria, Illinois, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

lol

May 28 12 11:14 pm Link

Model

hygvhgvkhy

Chicago, Illinois, US

That was the worst, most uninformed piece of garbage I've ever read. If it is in print, better use would be for fire/heat. So rude.

May 29 12 12:05 am Link

Model

Nico K

Presley ONeil wrote:
That was the worst, most uninformed piece of garbage I've ever read. If it is in print, better use would be for fire/heat. So rude.

Haha, I would love it if you posted those exact words on the link!
You might think it's a waste of time, but I had to leave a comment there directly to give the writer (or perhaps an "Internet writer"?) a piece of my mind.

Must have been a real slow day at the office.

May 29 12 12:17 am Link

Model

Samantha Scarlette

New York, New York, US

The article is partially true.. But it pretty much goes for any area of the arts.. There are so many wannabe musicians, wannabe artists, wannabe  that use the internet as their platform. 
And for however many people don't make it, there are still people who do make it.... Especially when it comes to the glamour models and such, plenty of internet models make it into Playboy or any other number of Mens Magazines... Just because they're not Runway Models signed to Ford, doesn't mean they haven't "made it".

May 29 12 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Dark Shadows

Miami, Florida, US

To be honest, fashion models have always sort of turned their nose up at other models such as glamour, fitness, nude ect. Fashion is sort of it's own little private fraternity. This was definitely true before the internet, although now that internet models are making money off newbie shooters, I guess they are a lot more visible and a larger target.

In the end, I don't think you'll cross paths too often. Your clients are generally very different than a fashion models clients.

May 29 12 12:33 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Nico K wrote:

Same place this came from. This is that whole article written out in four lines:

"Interwebs models tend, more than actual living, breathing, walking and talking genuine models in the real world, to be self-delusional hubristic narcissist wannabes with grandiose egos and sense of self-worth, who somehow divine that if they label themselves as a "model" they are, as if by magic, transformed into one."

Basically for someone who claims to be an Internet model, it is likely that the "real world" is laughing behind your back... you just don't realise it.

Studio36

May 29 12 12:59 am Link

Model

Nico K

Dark Shadows wrote:
To be honest, fashion models have always sort of turned their nose up at other models such as glamour, fitness, nude ect. Fashion is sort of it's own little private fraternity.

Oh you don't have to tell me to convince me that... For me, with my body type and looks clearly not in the "desirable" category in the conventional fashion world, I wouldn't waste my time hoping to be picked up a local agency but instead enjoy creating my own works and images without worrying about market prospects and commercial values.

Fashion modeling is all about selling things, and I do not model to sell things. Period.

May 29 12 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Photographe

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

The irony is that it's badly written by...

...an internet magazine!

There's no balance or human perspective to the story at all.

It places the writer at the very level she's protesting about.

It's just an attack, and not really very well thought out either.

May 29 12 01:34 am Link

Photographer

Jay Jorgensen

Palm Springs, California, US

I bet more people have read the post about the article in this forum than have read the actual article on their blog. It sounds like it was written by Angie "Bitch Pleeze" Tempura from "Saturday Night Live."

May 29 12 01:59 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom

Dark Shadows wrote:
To be honest, fashion models have always sort of turned their nose up at other models such as glamour, fitness, nude ect. Fashion is sort of it's own little private fraternity. This was definitely true before the internet, although now that internet models are making money off newbie shooters, I guess they are a lot more visible and a larger target.

In the end, I don't think you'll cross paths too often. Your clients are generally very different than a fashion models clients.

It would be a reasonable assumption but I am afraid not altogether true.
Journeyman models regularly cross paths with top professional fashion models especially in places like London. Often you can be working on the same jobs. Especially if you work it fitting modelling. I haven't found any arrogant ones; the girls I did catwalk with have been really nice; and the same at fashion parties etc. And despite being on £5k a day from their Agencies a few of them also have MM ports.

The person who wrote the blog article clearly hasn't got a clue about the bulk of modelling work. They consider it only in the tiny percentage of modelling that is editorial fashion. That represents in turn only a tiny percentage of fashion work. Of course that is the most visible; so even people here make that mistake.

May 29 12 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Is it just me or have they now disabled the ability to leave a comment on that article?

When I left my comment there were a handful of others all negative,

May 29 12 02:19 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Rollo David Snook wrote:
The irony is that it's badly written by...

...an internet magazine!

There's no balance or human perspective to the story at all.

It places the writer at the very level she's protesting about.

It's just an attack, and not really very well thought out either.

Internet jounalism. The irony is indeed that they are not held acountable to the same kind of standards as a newspaper. And their crit of social networking of course can be levelled against the very blog they are writing as you say. But of course you get some fabulous net journaism and blogging - this isn't an example lol

May 29 12 02:21 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Revenge Photography wrote:
Is it just me or have they now disabled the ability to leave a comment on that article?

When I left my comment there were a handful of others all negative,

I thought that after I posted my retort but then reloaded it and it was all still there.

May 29 12 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Revenge Photography

Horsham, Victoria, Australia

Eliza C wrote:

I thought that after I posted my retort but then reloaded it and it was all still there.

I just liked your comment rather than add a reply in support.. because all those long words confused me haha

May 29 12 02:34 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

the simple fact that they pretend like there is no other type of modelling besides professional fashion modelling shows that they have no idea what they're talking about smile

May 29 12 02:40 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Anna Adrielle wrote:
the simple fact that they pretend like there is no other type of modelling besides professional fashion modelling shows that they have no idea what they're talking about smile

Professional top editorial fashion modelling at that. Catalogue, fitting, regional mag editorial, boutique and designer commerical work, showroom, etc didn't come up on their radar yet accounts for the vast majority of professional fashion modelling .

But yes essentially that is what I put in my retort.

May 29 12 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Someone on the internet ranting :THESE PEOPLE ARE FAKES, THE INTERNET IS NOT REAL.

A funny thing, thanks for the post.

May 29 12 04:59 am Link

Model

Anna Adrielle

Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium

Eliza C wrote:

Professional top editorial fashion modelling at that. Catalogue, fitting, regional mag editorial, boutique and designer commerical work, showroom, etc didn't come up on their radar yet accounts for the vast majority of professional fashion modelling .

But yes essentially that is what I put in my retort.

not to mention every other type of modelling: promo, glamour, fetish, art nude, figure study nude, parts, hair,...

May 29 12 05:10 am Link

Photographer

STL-After-Dark

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

It's the equivalent of crappy photographers bitching about CraigsList GWC's taking away all of their business lol

May 29 12 05:19 am Link

Model

Abby Hawkins

Boston, Massachusetts, US

People in the fashion industry get so uppity about people who aren't industry standard doing modeling -- as if high fashion is all that modeling is.  Even standard commercial modeling gets the stink-eye.  There's no hate for writers who have blogs to get their work out there because traditional publishers have passed on them.  There's no hate for actors who create YouTube skits because they wanted to showcase their craft and no casting director has taken notice.  But the hate for girls who find a lot of their modeling gigs online -- even if we removed every flakey Myspace who got an MM profile just to call themselves a model and never put in any of the effort -- is unbelievable.

Also, the sweet, sweet irony of an internet magazine bashing something else that takes place primarily on the internet.

May 29 12 05:24 am Link

Model

QuietAsKept

Baltimore, Maryland, US

That article was horribly written. I have seen some AMAZING portfolios of MM models who don't fit high fashion requirements. Also, it seems like the person based the article off some false things that somebody told him about Internet modeling.

May 29 12 05:26 am Link

Model

Dawn-Marie94

Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

+1

digital Artform wrote:
"modeling is a viscous career?"

I need that on a T-shirt

May 29 12 05:33 am Link

Photographer

Rich Davis

Gulf Breeze, Florida, US

Maybe we should lose internet bloggers that don't have anything better to do.

May 29 12 05:55 am Link

Model

CRIMSON REIGN

Baltimore, Maryland, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

I swear we need a "like" button...lol! Love it!

May 29 12 06:03 am Link

Photographer

KMP

Houston, Texas, US

It was a hater's rant based on stereotypical views.  It's an unbecoming stance for any supposed news/industry publication.    It had the same tone as articles saying illegal aliens are coming to the US and taking all our jobs. 

Stereotypes are based on partial fact and partial misinformation.  Stereotypes are used to foster misinformation, disdain, fear, even hatred.

I find it ironic. Does Elitedaily feel that sites like MM are threatening the modeling industry?

May 29 12 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

An amateur writer bashing amateur models-how ironic.

May 29 12 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Drew Smith Photography

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

It's lazy journalism (if it can be called journalism). No reasearch, no inclination to attempt to gather from a representative viewpoint.

Whom so ever did it most likely just sat there and typed out pretty much their own opinion.

May 29 12 06:18 am Link

Photographer

DLWoods Images

Dallas, Texas, US

One "good" thing about this article, Jessica The Austin Model will get numerous hits on her Model Mayhem page. 

I went there . . .

- David Lee Woods

May 29 12 06:19 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Incidentally; the Alexa ranking of Elite Daily net magazine is:
60,383 rd global
US: 11,615 th
UK: 47,255 th

The Alexa ranking of Model Mayhem is:
1,252th
US: 431st
UK: 598th

And their you tube channel.
They joined in October 2011. Since then they have had 25 945 hits

Even the you tube channel for which I potter around filming stuff on my little hand held Sony blogger about racing and fashion and my own modelling has had 240, 136 hits of which just over half have been my videos since October 2011.
I just do stuff like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoRaLW5ihnw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8SRm19kREU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcDfFaI6Bfc

So our little amateur channel generates way more hits than their slick 'looking' operation. And Model Mayhem dwarfs them.

So if you were a company wanting to advertise a product to an audience; who ya gonna call? An MM model with a blog or internet profile; or a set up that looks glossy but generates little in the way of hits?

May 29 12 06:25 am Link

Photographer

KonstantKarma

Campobello, South Carolina, US

Too funny.

I see the comments are gone and there's no author listed.

May 29 12 06:29 am Link

Model

Loona Wynd

South Portland, Maine, US

Rich Davis wrote:
Maybe we should lose internet bloggers that don't have anything better to do.

Some of us actually research the things we write about on our blogs though....

May 29 12 06:29 am Link

Model

Retiredmodel

Loona Wynd wrote:
Some of us actually research the things we write about on our blogs though....

+1.
I just won an international award for mine smile

May 29 12 06:30 am Link

Model

Loona Wynd

Eliza C wrote:

+1.
I just won an international award for mine smile

Good for you.  I don't think the problem is "amateur" writers or amateur models, after all we all start out that way before we have the practice and time behind to be "professionals".  I think the problem is more its easier to write based on quick scans and "fluff" info than it is to actually spend the time to research the topic at hand.

May 29 12 06:34 am Link

Model

M E L U X I N E

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Well sweet baby jeebus.

Ok.

So according to this article, even us 'internet models' who work our asses off for years on end honing our craft, getting published in books/magazines, walking the odd show, being hung in galleries, being featured in well known art and photography prizes, working with excellent photographers and even being paid for it on a regular basis (and not just by 'amateurs') are nothing more than self-obsessed delusional wannabes.

Well, that just invalidated everything I've been putting my energy into for the last four and a half years.

May 29 12 06:59 am Link

Model

M E L U X I N E

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Drew Smith Photography wrote:
It's lazy journalism (if it can be called journalism). No reasearch, no inclination to attempt to gather from a representative viewpoint.

Whom so ever did it most likely just sat there and typed out pretty much their own opinion.

+1

It's more of a rant written by someone who probably wants to be a model, not journalism.

May 29 12 07:01 am Link

Model

Loona Wynd

I will be honest and say that when I first thought about llamaing as a teenager my thoughts were all on fashion and runway llamaing as I thought that was all there was.  Now I know there is much more out there.  What people see from llamas is typically fashion llamaing so that's why people seem to think that's all there is.

May 29 12 07:04 am Link