Forums > Model Colloquy > $20 Casting calls

Model

Amelia Talon

Seattle, Washington, US

If you think that's lowballing try getting contacted by an actual company with an offer of $15/hr while it's competitors usually dish out $1000+/day through agencies lol. MM can be really funny.

Jun 22 12 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

J Jessica  wrote:

$20 is a LOT of money, actually.

That is correct. Most models do not make hooker rates. Promo models often make $15.00-$30.00 an hour with $30.00 being reserved for someone who is well experienced and knows the product.

Jun 22 12 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dan K Photography

STATEN ISLAND, New York, US

A M Johnson wrote:

That is correct. Most models do not make hooker rates. Promo models often make $15.00-$30.00 an hour with $30.00 being reserved for someone who is well experienced and knows the product.

Why do models always get compared by togs to strippers and prostitutes? couldn't you imagine that using doctors or lawyers would get your point across just as well without the possible backlash?

Jun 22 12 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

A M Johnson

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dan K Photography wrote:
Why do models always get compared by togs to strippers and prostitutes? couldn't you imagine that using doctors or lawyers would get your point across just as well without the possible backlash?

Backlash from white knights don't bother me.

But, back on topic, the point was that a high rate of pay isn't always justified just because the model poses in front of a camera.

Jun 22 12 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Scanlon

Encino, California, US

Tiffiney C wrote:

That's true. But it could also backfire. The model could wake up an say "I don't feel like it, it's only $20 anyway". I frown upon people who cancel after agreeing to a shoot but the incentive isn't that great. With that being said who are they marketing to again? Hobbyist, professionals, etc?

They can also say "I'm not getting anything for this so I'll stay home" on the other hand they may say "At least I'll come away with something and I won't be out gas"

Jun 22 12 02:09 pm Link

Model

Laurel Rae

Tucson, Arizona, US

I'd do it if it was with a great photographer... and for the newbies that don't get any high paying gigs then those jobs are perfect for them! (I see on facebook some models are begging for any type of compensation at all)

So it really depends on supply and demand lol

Jun 22 12 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

(based on $20/hr)

Cash payment makes it equal to about $30/hr. Not many people make that at this time.
Secondly, if it's a choice of the model sitting home (or at the beach, or the mall) and making NOTHING ($0/hr) or modeling for 3 hours, $60 ($90/untaxed) is better than making $0 for those 3 or 4 hours.

For a good majority of MM models who are in this position, if they can get a few of these "low-ball" jobs a week, it's not bad extra money. If they can do one a day, better, 2 a day, then they're well off. But if they are going to pass all these jobs up and not have something else to do at the same time, well, someone else will take them.

Jun 22 12 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Laurel Rae wrote:
I'd do it if it was with a great photographer... and for the newbies that don't get any high paying gigs then those jobs are perfect for them! (I see on facebook some models are begging for any type of compensation at all)

So it really depends on supply and demand lol

Not to single you out, because your outlook is similar to a lot of models, why would the photographer have to be great. A starting out photographer may surprise you with real good work, and either way, $20/hr from a "great photographer" is the same as $20 from a newbie. smile

Jun 22 12 02:57 pm Link

Model

Nicole Nu

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
I guess we would agree that this gesture would be fine if the model was dying to shoot with the photographer. They would do it for nothing in that case so any amount would be a bonus.

But...what is the likelihood of the type of a photographer who is offering $20 flat is going to be the kind of photographer (talent level) any model is dying to work with?

The stars aren't aligning on this one for me.

I actually had this happen to me. I was meaning to message a photographer asking him to work with me (TF) and he responded to my casting and asked to book me for an hour.

I got amazing images from the shoot, shot with someone who was on my 'wishlist' and I got paid for my time. It. was. awesome!

But I should also mention I was paid more than $20.

Jun 22 12 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

DMesser Photography

Oceanside, California, US

Tiffiney C wrote:

Primarily I was talking about $20-30 flat

That is different.  I can offer $20-$30/hr.  Or a $50 flat rate.  I drive to my model so she doesn't have the expense, and I normally shoot for 1 1/2hrs, 2 at the very most.  The model also gets a CD with all the pics from the shoot on it, and no limits on how she uses them.  I may be wrong, won't be the first time, but I think that is fair.

Jun 22 12 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

The Viking Studio

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Tiffiney C wrote:

I hope you are being facetious. I guess $20 is a lot of money if your job pays $8/hr, or you live with your mom, or you don't have to provide clothing, shoes or wardrobe for the $20 comped shoot. Not saying that you are any of the above, but do you think that $20 is worth 2-4 hours of your time?

Your original post said $20-30/hr, $20/hr IS a lot of money. I don't make that much.

I'd expect for a straight $20 as you're saying now they wouldn't be looking for a 4 hour shoot.

Jun 22 12 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Amelia Talon wrote:
If you think that's lowballing try getting contacted by an actual company with an offer of $15/hr while it's competitors usually dish out $1000+/day through agencies lol. MM can be really funny.

True but as was mentioned in some other threads 90% or more of the models here are not agency models and are never going to get agency rates.  As was also mentioned many agency models who don't break into the bigs end up with promo work in that same $20-30/hr range or less.

Then again all this goes back to thinking photographers are the clients.  Actual clients pay more for models, photographers, and just about everything else.  Part time photographers are just as broke as models smile and the pros test with agency models usually at no cost.

Jun 22 12 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Damn DP

Jun 22 12 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Tiffiney C wrote:
Hey all. I have a serious question. Lately I've been seeing more and more casting calls "paid" in the amount of about $20-30 or $20-30/hr. My question to the photographers who post these castings is who is you're target market for these castings?

No market in general, just looking for a 'body' to fill a slot and the concept can pretty much be filled by anyone... I generally don't post a $20/hr casting, but the same goes for "fast food".. if anyone can do it... it's going to cost less.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Is it hobbyist models who are excited to get any kind of compensation for a shoot?

Sometimes, sometimes it's someone that says "I'll stand there and let you take my picture for $20"... they have no intention of 'becoming a model' but it's easy cash.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Are you looking for serious models who can give you the images that you are looking for?

Generally, like I said.. when I am casting that low, I'm looking for a "body" to fil the spot, they have to be serious about wanting the gig.. but I am in no means looking for an "experienced model".

Tiffiney C wrote:
Do you get a lot of responses for these castings?

Yes, millions (Ok.. not millions.. but lots) But then it depends...
A) If I am casting for a clothed shoot and I'm paying $20/hr... I get flooded with models that are both 'professional' and 'amateur'... clothed is just so easy to get it's almost not worth my time to do TF as I pay less money in Time that I would spend editing pictures for the model then if I just paid them outright $20.
B) Nudes at $20/hr usually get me the art models that usually model at Universities as the schools around here only pay $10 to $15/hr... So the response is smaller, but I still get about 5 to 10 models "interested" in a shoot if I'm paying even $20/hr.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Would it be more beneficial for you to post the casting as TFP with a small stipend for gas/travel then insert the $20-40.

Like I said... The time I would spend editing photos is WAY less to the cost of what I would just give the model in cash... for example.
If I charged someone for a session at "100/hr" I'm shooting for just that hour but in post and editing I"m spending about 5-10 minutes on a photo sometimes less, sometimes considerably more... If I give them $20/hr ($40 for two hours work).. That is less time I have to spend on editing photos they want and more on stuff I want (as generally what I like and what model's like are very different). My Time>Cash

Tiffiney C wrote:
In my opinion, paid assignments are for those looking to get a particular result, have the ability to use/sell for whatever they want, and not HAVE to give model images unless stated (whether you do or not is your preference). That being the case, do you believe that $20/40 dollars is enough to buy out images or is that the reason you get models harassing for images, asking for discs, concerned about what you are later doing with the images.

Like I said earlier, there are plenty, and I mean PLENTY of models willing to let me "buy out" there image for the low charge of $20/hr... believe me, here in Utah.. EVERYONE is willing to do clothed... and whne a clothed casting call comes up and it's a paying gig, the competition is thick so you 'passing it by' the photographer wouldn't notice.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Not venting at all. I personally ignore the castings but would like to know the train of thought you all have when posting. I look forward to hearing what you all say!

Edit: 20/hr for 2 hr shoots

$10/hr for clothed work is just as easy especially if it's a multiple hour shoot.. (e.g. $80 for a day rate clothed)
Nude I have had models request shots for that sort of low rate... Like you said.. they probably just look at it like a TF* shoot with some 'gas' compensation.

But a Day rate of $200 for nudes here in Utah is not uncommon.. I get that often... and quite honestly I have been doing it for 4 years straight every month and haven't had to 'repeat' a model yet...

On the other side though.. There aren't very many models out there that warrant "100/hr" like most models want... there are a few, but not many.

Jun 22 12 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

James Sioux

Los Angeles, California, US

20, 30 an hour?!  Darn it!  I've been overpaying models for 4 years.  I really should place a casting call for this amount and see who bites the hook.

Jun 22 12 04:22 pm Link

Model

Loona Wynd

South Portland, Maine, US

For me $40 depending on the distance and gas doesn't actually sound unreasonable. It might just cover gas and something to eat.  For me the payment factor goes into the travel distance.  For half an hour to and hour away $20-$40 isn't unreasonable. Further than that prices go up based on gas.

To be honest I see that payment as gas money, which isn't unreasonable if you have to travel a distance.

Jun 22 12 04:23 pm Link

Model

Ivanafox

Healesville, Victoria, Australia

I'm just starting out with the photography. I don't have a photo account just yet but when i do I'm going to be one of those doing the $20 per hour casting. Why?
Like i said I'm starting out
I can't gurantee quality images to do TF
It's purely a hobby. Any money I spend is money gone
I don't have a day job, I can't afford anything more
Any shoot i do will be on location so half of the time I'm paying for will involve driving and chatting.

I plan to offer some images as well. Also since I will be supplying outfits, concepts, location all the model has to do is some basic make-up and rock up.I will make sure he/she is well looked after comfort wise, and having been a model i can also give tips and instruction for the beginner model.  Since i won't be making money from my endeavors I don't need nudes, I don't need agency quality models.
If I don't get anyone interested from Mayhem  I'll put a notice up at the local supermarket

It's all I can afford. Anyone who isn't interested doesn't have to apply.

Jun 22 12 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Wysiwyg Photography

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

James Sioux wrote:
20, 30 an hour?!  Darn it!  I've been overpaying models for 4 years.  I really should place a casting call for this amount and see who bites the hook.

Do it, you might be surprised.

Though, I don't think so much that $20/hr would be a good idea unless you were offering images on top of the payment... but try a casting at $40/hr for nudes.. I bet you get a bite.

For clothed.. Offer a sandwich and $20/hr you will have a flooded in box.

Jun 22 12 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

J I M

New York, New York, US

Tiffiney C wrote:
Hey all. I have a serious question. Lately I've been seeing more and more casting calls "paid" in the amount of about $20-30 or $20-30/hr. My question to the photographers who post these castings is who is you're target market for these castings? Is it hobbyist models who are excited to get any kind of compensation for a shoot? Are you looking for serious models who can give you the images that you are looking for? Do you get a lot of responses for these castings? Would it be more beneficial for you to post the casting as TFP with a small stipend for gas/travel then insert the $20-40.

In my opinion, paid assignments are for those looking to get a particular result, have the ability to use/sell for whatever they want, and not HAVE to give model images unless stated (whether you do or not is your preference). That being the case, do you believe that $20/40 dollars is enough to buy out images or is that the reason you get models harassing for images, asking for discs, concerned about what you are later doing with the images.

Not venting at all. I personally ignore the castings but would like to know the train of thought you all have when posting. I look forward to hearing what you all say!

Didn't read the whole thread, but if you want to know why photographers charge this, shouldn't you have posted it in the photographer's forum?

As it is here in the model's forum, it is just a rant against photographers and their rates and how model's are too good to work for so little money...

Jun 23 12 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Paige Morgan wrote:
20-30 per hour is a totally acceptable rate for a lot of different people. I was under the impression we were discussing the $20-30 flat payment for a full day castings that seem to be trending right now.

This is what I get for posting pre first cup of coffee big_smile

Bloomberg hasn't outlawed coffee in the big apple yet?

Jun 23 12 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Capitol City Boudoir wrote:
Why pay $50, $60 or even $100 per hour when there are llamas willing to shoot for $20 to $25 per hour.  Most are not professionals and are simply looking to earn some extra money.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I've found that there is a very strong correlation between the talent and experience of the llamas I shoot and the quality of the images I get.

That's not to say that I haven't gotten a smashing shot of an MUA or an inexperienced llama - but not with the same consistency. If I shoot 100 images and have to spend hours deciding which ONE out of the top 40-50 to retouch - that was an excellent llama.

If that weren't the case, there would be no professional llamas - OR all llamas would be making $10 or $20/hour.

Jun 23 12 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

True story--

A number of years ago I started a cooperative theater company--First we paid the bills, then we split the profits, if any.  The first show that came to $28.75 for each of us.  One cast member took his pay (his first ever from acting) and went to the bar where all the theater folks hung out in the back room, always drinking pitchers of beer because we were always broke, and grandiosely called out to the bartender, "Set 'em up for everybody!" and only then realized that everybody was drinking mixed drinks.   He had to borrow money from me to pay the tab.

A couple of years later he took off to Texas where he ultimately became the artistic director for a major theater, but he always said that no paycheck ever meant as much to him as that first one, nor disappeared as quickly.

I'll warrant that for many, those first few $20.00 an hour gigs are far more gratifying and thrilling than any $50 or $100 gigs that come later.

IMHO, as always.

Jun 23 12 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Tiffiney C wrote:

I agree but then some castings with these rates ask for basically industry standard girls.

When I want industry standard girls, I go to an agency, and then I don't pay anything.

When the camera club sets up a shoot, it pays Art Model rates so as to not have to chase photographers to make them deliver images to the models. (they get money and no pictures).

When I was making money in the industry, models would get paid industry rates and it would be billed to the client.

Now I am a hobbyist. My kit has cost me enough thank you. If I pay $100/hr, then I won't be able to afford that piece of gear that may help me up the quality of my images.

Now if I lived in a 2 mil house, and drove a Lambo, I would certainly be far more generous.

Jun 23 12 10:23 am Link

Photographer

New Art Photo

ASHZ Shank wrote:
To answer the simple question as of why such a small amount of money... Something that is ignored about most photographers is, a lot of us don't get paid for our work. We spend thousands in gear, cameras, lighting and such and don't have the money to shell out a hundred bucks an hour all the time. I understand as a model that you want to make money, but let me ask you this, how many people out of the industry do you know that make a hundred bucks an hour. I'm not complaining and understand models will charge what they feel, but sometimes we just can't afford to pay that much, being we still have car payments, bills, house payments and all that, and for probably many of us, this is a passion, but also a hobby.

+1 The internet has changed the business model for everyone: Magazine and Newspapers have virtually been wiped out--There are very limited paying jobs for photographers. I wish models well,  but it's a new world economic reality  we're living in. Personally, I just do TFP Because I'm not getting paid for my work right now.

Jun 23 12 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Wysiwyg Photography wrote:

Tiffiney C wrote:
Hey all. I have a serious question. Lately I've been seeing more and more casting calls "paid" in the amount of about $20-30 or $20-30/hr. My question to the photographers who post these castings is who is you're target market for these castings?

No market in general, just looking for a 'body' to fill a slot and the concept can pretty much be filled by anyone... I generally don't post a $20/hr casting, but the same goes for "fast food".. if anyone can do it... it's going to cost less.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Is it hobbyist models who are excited to get any kind of compensation for a shoot?

Sometimes, sometimes it's someone that says "I'll stand there and let you take my picture for $20"... they have no intention of 'becoming a model' but it's easy cash.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Are you looking for serious models who can give you the images that you are looking for?

Generally, like I said.. when I am casting that low, I'm looking for a "body" to fil the spot, they have to be serious about wanting the gig.. but I am in no means looking for an "experienced model".

Tiffiney C wrote:
Do you get a lot of responses for these castings?

Yes, millions (Ok.. not millions.. but lots) But then it depends...
A) If I am casting for a clothed shoot and I'm paying $20/hr... I get flooded with models that are both 'professional' and 'amateur'... clothed is just so easy to get it's almost not worth my time to do TF as I pay less money in Time that I would spend editing pictures for the model then if I just paid them outright $20.
B) Nudes at $20/hr usually get me the art models that usually model at Universities as the schools around here only pay $10 to $15/hr... So the response is smaller, but I still get about 5 to 10 models "interested" in a shoot if I'm paying even $20/hr.

Tiffiney C wrote:
Would it be more beneficial for you to post the casting as TFP with a small stipend for gas/travel then insert the $20-40.

Like I said... The time I would spend editing photos is WAY less to the cost of what I would just give the model in cash... for example.
If I charged someone for a session at "100/hr" I'm shooting for just that hour but in post and editing I"m spending about 5-10 minutes on a photo sometimes less, sometimes considerably more... If I give them $20/hr ($40 for two hours work).. That is less time I have to spend on editing photos they want and more on stuff I want (as generally what I like and what model's like are very different). My Time>Cash

Tiffiney C wrote:

Like I said earlier, there are plenty, and I mean PLENTY of models willing to let me "buy out" there image for the low charge of $20/hr... believe me, here in Utah.. EVERYONE is willing to do clothed... and whne a clothed casting call comes up and it's a paying gig, the competition is thick so you 'passing it by' the photographer wouldn't notice.

$10/hr for clothed work is just as easy especially if it's a multiple hour shoot.. (e.g. $80 for a day rate clothed)
Nude I have had models request shots for that sort of low rate... Like you said.. they probably just look at it like a TF* shoot with some 'gas' compensation.

But a Day rate of $200 for nudes here in Utah is not uncommon.. I get that often... and quite honestly I have been doing it for 4 years straight every month and haven't had to 'repeat' a model yet...

On the other side though.. There aren't very many models out there that warrant "100/hr" like most models want... there are a few, but not many.

Pretty much.

Except that here you can lower the amount.
Victoria is a strange city, expensive to live in, but low salaried.
Some managers of some stores get $15-20/hr.

And for the models who will only work paid with the top shooters, why is the photographer not getting $100/hr?

Jun 23 12 10:50 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Chain Reaction wrote:

No, not everyone. There are a lot of good people that wouldn't even dream of being that unprofessional.

How about "People, both paid and working for trade, will flake."?

Having financial incentive may up the odds that they will show, but there are no guarantees.

Jun 23 12 11:02 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

If I were a photographer and could only afford $20 for a shoot, I would get my little brain into gear and determine how to market a TF shoot with me as something that is equivalent to decent going rates for a llama.  I wouldn't even mention the money, I would just talk about what I have to offer and try to add value by doing makeup or something too.

There are plenty of places in the world to make $20, but once you can market your offer as something unique rather than totally interchangeable with any other shoot, then your offer has more value. You just have to find someone to bite that bait.

Jun 26 12 01:27 am Link

Model

V Laroche

Khowmeyn, Markazī, Iran

A M Johnson wrote:

Well, aren't you charming. We say "sex worker rates" now.

Jun 26 12 01:45 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

A little bit of money from a photographer means that he will get more interest than if he offers TF, at least that is what he is thinking.

To give an example from my own experience. I needed to get onto Model Mayhem so I could do TF. Now, I didn't know any model I could shoot, moreover, I had not any portraiture of note.  I wanted to go onto MM with photos that would pass a gatekeeper's eyes and also attract models.  I paid for a few shoots. $75 for the model. It was a couple of hours.

What kind of quality did I get?  I put the ad on Craiglist and I had to take it down after 1 hour because I got so many inquiries from very attractive models.

So, now I do shoots here, TF, but just as in the first shoots, I pay for an assistant. I like to use the sun to highlight a figure and thus I need someone to hold a reflector. To setup three-to-four lightstands outdoors takes some time. The assistant also holds the key light. I pay the assistant $50 for the shoot.

I am a commission salesman and Summer is my slow season in my trade. So my surplus is somewhere around $350 a month in the sunny times.  I have to be very careful in budgeting in Summer.

For the last year in software, in camera body, lenses, light stands, flashes, umbrellas, softbox, and mini-softboxes, I spent over $5000.

I was supposed to do a product shoot during Summer but that has been delayed.  I may start making money from headshots around late August by renting studios. At that point, if that happens I may have some moolah for certain photoshoot ideas.

Jun 26 12 02:18 am Link

Photographer

Matt Schmidt Photo

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

some people will work $20 at a time and work steady . . .

others will hold out for a big pay day and work every now and again . . .

Jun 26 12 02:57 am Link

Photographer

JohnEnger

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

Tiffiney C wrote:

Well, it's way better pay than at the drive through at McDonalds. Or not having work at all. As long as some are offering to work for that payment there will be a market. I guess for a student a 5 hour shoot one day gets a her/him $100 to put in the pocket, it's just fine. Plenty of time to study, and no regular job to steal your reading time. Just some extra spending money every now and then.

And to turn it all around I guess the 20$/h llamas gets alot more gigs than the 500$/h newbies that have no experience or talent. A lot of newer llamas have absolutely NO touch with reality.

I think the rate levels always work themselves out just fine. It's regulated by supply and demand.

J.

Jun 26 12 03:31 am Link

Photographer

henrybutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

I once hired a model for $25/hr who was on her way to Splish-Splash water park.  She wanted to pick up some gas money along the way.  I said, "No problem-o."

Jun 26 12 03:43 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

20hr is better than nothing. I have yet to pay a model out of my pocket. Do you know how many people are making minimum wage and working twice as hard and would welcome those $20hr.

Jun 26 12 05:58 am Link

Model

Jen Somerfield

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

AJScalzitti wrote:
$20/hr is about $40k per year, just below the median household income in the US.

$30/hr is about $60k per year, just below the median household income in Manhattan,

This is also usually unreported income (over 2.5 times minimum wage)  So factor in a US fed tax rate of at least %25 and I fail to see how that is low pay.  Yes there are jobs that pay more and many of our have been truly fortunate in our lives.

This is a ridiculous comparison.

1) A 4 hour shoot might involve 2 hours travelling, 2 hours replying to emails/calls
2) A model may not expect to get 40 hours a week at that hourly rate, so it is not a full working wage
3) No sick pay, or paid holiday leave
4) No pension, or maternity leave
5) Often weather-dependent, if snowed in and the trains stop running = no shoot or pay
6) You can't model forever, your pay probably won't increase like it would working up the ranks of a company

This is why freelancers always charge more, computer men have a callout charge, the burglar alarm fixer charges an arm and a leg, cleaners are £10ph, because they are not working the entire week, often not even a full 8 hour day.

And the proof of the pudding is, how many rich models have you met?

..just my two pence. wink

Jun 26 12 08:14 am Link

Model

Paige Morgan

New York, New York, US

Camerosity wrote:

Bloomberg hasn't outlawed coffee in the big apple yet?

Not yet...and if he tries I'm leading the resistance big_smile

Jun 26 12 11:26 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Tiffiney C wrote:

I hope you are being facetious. I guess $20 is a lot of money if your job pays $8/hr, or you live with your mom, or you don't have to provide clothing, shoes or wardrobe for the $20 comped shoot. Not saying that you are any of the above, but do you think that $20 is worth 2-4 hours of your time?

Yes, I do.

I would not turn down money, (however at this time am not accepting pay for other reasons but, would never scoff at a job because of the amount.)

If you would like to pass of jobs because they pay so little, then keep doing so and let other's collect them up like skittles and the networking and what not that goes with it. wink

Jen

Jun 26 12 12:48 pm Link

Filmmaker

ByeBye100000

Tiffiney C wrote:
Hey all. I have a serious question. Lately I've been seeing more and more casting calls "paid" in the amount of about $20-30 or $20-30/hr. My question to the photographers who post these castings is who is you're target market for these castings? Is it hobbyist models who are excited to get any kind of compensation for a shoot? Are you looking for serious models who can give you the images that you are looking for? Do you get a lot of responses for these castings? Would it be more beneficial for you to post the casting as TFP with a small stipend for gas/travel then insert the $20-40.

Have to remember, about 80% of the models here are amateurs and that's alot of money for them. As is 80% of the GWC here.

Jun 27 12 04:16 pm Link

Model

Little Alice

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tiffiney C wrote:

^This

They may as well say TF and some cash for gas money, that would go over better.  At $40-$80, why don't they just round it out to $100 for a half day? (4 hours).  That would be in the range for most models who have some experience (ie not total newbs), but aren't considered in demand or pros.

Personally I just ignore casting calls that offer rates too low for me.  But I think the worst I have seen are $10/hr and they expect the model to find stylists, and provide wardrobe, and drive out of their way to some location.  Some people just don't understand what's reasonable or don't care.

Jun 27 12 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Images By Joseph

Naperville, Illinois, US

If you don't like what is being offered for a casting just move on and find someone with deeper pockets. For some models $20/hr is acceptable and others feel their talent is worth more, its up to the client to decide if she is right or they will move on. There are a lot of people out there that only wish they were being paid $20/hr................

Jun 27 12 04:40 pm Link

Model

Edeline Wrigh

Bloomington, Indiana, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

I'm even trying to put myself in the shoes of a model with no experience and no professional images. I guess in that case I can disregard the financial aspects and say, "Ok, at least they're getting something to share with the world..." But beyond that I'm having trouble seeing the benefit...for either party really.

I'm a hobbyist with a small amount of experience at this point rather than a professional with a large amount of it, but I think $20 does the following:

1. It compensates gas within a certain mileage. Which isn't a huge deal, but it means that I'm not spending money in addition to time for my hobby, which makes the deal easier to responsibly accept when money's tight.
2. If local, it's $20 more than I had before - buses take time, but the local ones are free for students, and I don't mind sitting with a book or writing in progress for awhile while in transit.

If the $20 is offered in addition to photos, the offer is well worth my time. Yes, it's not going to pay the bills, but it's either being compensated for most of the cost of my hobby or getting paid a few dollars to do something I want to do anyways. And if that $20 is for two hours, I'm getting paid a few dollars more per hour than I do at work to do something that is substantially more fulfilling.

Jun 27 12 04:46 pm Link