Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The Netflix Streaming Recommendation Thread

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

KonstantKarma wrote:
Dollhouse. One of the best-done scifi TV series I've seen.

Good call, my wife and I loved the show when it was on for just two short seasons but we're loving it on streaming all over again!

But even better than Dollhouse is Nikita. So far only season one is avaliable but we have watched them all over and over and never get tired of it! Maggie Q is da shit!

Jul 06 12 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

Felix the Cat (original cartoon)

Jul 06 12 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

kickfight wrote:
I'm a documentary fanatic, so going forward you'll get a lot of doccos from moi.

Caradoc wrote:
Watched "Reclaiming the Blade" yet? Bob Anderson died back in January.

It's in the Q but still haven't viewed it. Looking forward to it. smile

Jul 06 12 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lumatic

Brooklyn, New York, US

kickfight wrote:

+1

Jul 06 12 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Gianantonio

Turin, Piemonte, Italy

kickfight wrote:

Watch it soon--it says it moves off Netflix TOMORROW.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/28093

Jul 06 12 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

kickfight wrote:

Gianantonio wrote:
Watch it soon--it says it moves off Netflix TOMORROW.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/28093

yikes  I guess I know what I'll be watching tonite! yikes

Jul 06 12 12:33 pm Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Erik Manwaring wrote:
"Breaking Bad" is one of the best television series in many years.  If you haven't checked it out then do so.

This television show actually got me back into watching TV, despite the fact that the last time I'd actually watched a TV program was probably when I was in middle school. When I was about 14 or so, everything on TV just started seeming really dumb, irrelevant and unrelatable to me.

Last year, my significant other promised me that I would enjoy Breaking Bad, even though I swore I would never watch a TV show, ever. I watched one episode...and that's that. It was great; I loved it. Pretty soon, I was watching Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Walking Dead, and can't wait for the next season of Breaking Bad to start here in a couple weeks.

It might be a terrible thing, but I honestly didn't believe that good, entertaining, intelligent television even existed until I discovered AMC shows.

Jul 06 12 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Digital Photo PLUS

Lorton, Virginia, US

Digital Photo PLUS wrote:
Warning! Do not watch!

Rubber

It's about a tire that comes to life and goes on a killing spree. I'm not kidding. It's even worse than it sounds.

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I thought it was very interesting.
But then I like movies that aren't like every other movie out there.

Nothing wrong with liking different movies.

It got 68% on rottentomatoes.com. Wow. I'm surprised.

Jul 06 12 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Jason Haven

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I've been watching Doctor Who. Fun show!

Jul 06 12 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Instantwatcher helps you find good streaming titles from Netflix

http://instantwatcher.com/

What a fantastic site

Just found out Starcrash with my beloved Caroline Munro is on!

Jul 06 12 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Tangent Alert:

When I visit Netflix's web site to see what's there (and not there), I really can't search their collection without signing up for a 1 month free membership.  So, if I want to see Iron Man 2, can I (for example)?

End Tangent.

Besides, I would want to watch the Netflix movies in my home theater, but I don't (yet) have a Netflix capable device there.

Jul 06 12 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

dvwrght

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Here's everything on instant play, sorted by popularity:

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/popula … infinite=0

https://img585.imageshack.us/img585/2663/bc82ba36fbf8489ba86bca5.png

lots of good stuff... exit through the gift shop is a good one.

Jul 06 12 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Svend

Windsor, Colorado, US

Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
Art 21 - cool art bios (even a couple of photographers, Sally Mann and Cindy Sherman)

Thanks for this one...  just watched the first two episodes.  Good stuff.  smile

Jul 06 12 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Carlos Occidental

Los Angeles, California, US

Amelia Simone wrote:
Ive got a bad habit with netflix...once I start something I have to finish it no matter how terrible.
I watched all the seasons of charmed, which was a cheesy guilty pleasure....and oh titanic 2, thats one I did NOT finish. Cant imagine where they wouldve taken that story

I'm not afraid to admit it.  I love Charmed.

Jul 06 12 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Erik Manwaring

Ruskin, Florida, US

Erik Ballew wrote:
TUCKER AND DALE VS. EVIL!!!!  It was awesome!!

Absolutely HILARIOUS!  A FUN movie to watch smile

Jul 06 12 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Erik Manwaring

Ruskin, Florida, US

ShivaKitty wrote:

This television show actually got me back into watching TV, despite the fact that the last time I'd actually watched a TV program was probably when I was in middle school. When I was about 14 or so, everything on TV just started seeming really dumb, irrelevant and unrelatable to me.

Last year, my significant other promised me that I would enjoy Breaking Bad, even though I swore I would never watch a TV show, ever. I watched one episode...and that's that. It was great; I loved it. Pretty soon, I was watching Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Walking Dead, and can't wait for the next season of Breaking Bad to start here in a couple weeks.

It might be a terrible thing, but I honestly didn't believe that good, entertaining, intelligent television even existed until I discovered AMC shows.

Walking Dead is an awesome series!  I read the graphic novels and there's going to be some serious heartache in Season 2...

Jul 06 12 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

GCobb Photography

Southaven, Mississippi, US

I clicked on this movie and was called 13 songs or whatever...not about music at all.  It was pure, outright sex that had penetration and the whole bit.

Wonder if this is a series. smile

Jul 06 12 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Erik Manwaring wrote:

Absolutely HILARIOUS!  A FUN movie to watch smile

If you like that check out Dead Snow.

Jul 06 12 09:44 pm Link

Model

GabrielleEC

BOISE, Idaho, US

Compass Rose Studios wrote:

If you like that check out Dead Snow.

Dead Snow....so ridiculously amazing

Jul 06 12 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

I have several. Netflix stock went up due the success in their streaming department.

Jul 07 12 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I wish Netflix Canada would fall more in line with the U.S. offerings. It's getting there but there's still a lot I hear about that isn't available that I'd really like to check out. The TV section especially.

Jul 07 12 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Dec 01 13 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

https://cdn-0.nflximg.com/images/5317/1285317.jpg

During the heady years of the 1970s and '80s, the New York City art scene was abuzz with a new spirit, and photographer Robert Mapplethorpe and curator-collector Sam Wagstaff were at the center of it. In James Crump's debut film, punk poetess Patti Smith reflects on the relationship all three shared and the fertile artistic environment that resulted. Contemporaries John Richardson, Ralph Gibson, Eugenia Parry and Dominick Dunne speak candidly about both men, their time and their place.

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/4429

Dec 01 13 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

Other current instantwatcher returns in the photography category:

http://instantwatcher.com/titles?q=photography

fashion

http://instantwatcher.com/titles?q=fashion

Dec 01 13 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

NothingIsRealButTheGirl

https://cdn-0.nflximg.com/images/9261/599261.jpg

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/172940

Cult icon, fashion kingpin and classically trained artist Ed Hardy discusses his childhood obsession with tattoos, the influences of his mentors and his eclectic, multicultural approach to skin art in this thought-provoking documentary.

Dec 01 13 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Comer Photography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

A few of mine have already been mentioned - "Resurrected Dead: The Mystery of the Toynbee Tiles" and "Mary and Max" (Watched that one twice in as many weeks. A new favorite).

"Brick" is another one - modern-day film noir with high school kids, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt - from the director of "Looper."

I also really enjoyed "Sleepwalk with Me"

Dec 01 13 09:23 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Alannah The Stylist

Well this weekend I started watching Freaks and Geeks (I now have a crush on Jason Segal and James Franco.l ol.)and I watched what Maisie Knew.Alexander Skarsgard's character is super adorbs and Julianne Moore's character is hot mess good in What Maisie Knew.

My Go To Netflix List:
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Supernatural
Portlandia
Doctor Who
Twin Peaks
Family Guy
Hemlock Grove

Dec 02 13 01:01 am Link

Model

Koryn

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I just discovered Dexter. I'm obsessed. It's an awesome show. I've watched almost two whole seasons in less than a week.

After I started using Netflix in 2008, I realized just how awful most US films are, and how awesome foreign films are, and rarely watch American cinema unless it's IFC or Sundance.

Actually, I stopped watching ALL movies and TV when I was about 14, because I was so disgusted with their stupidity. I didn't realize it was just because I'd mostly only been exposed to the god-awful, trite, cliche-infested bullshit that are Hollywood movies.

In 2008, when someone convinced me to try Netflix, it honestly changed so much for me, because for the first time in over a decade, I could find things I actually LIKED watching.

I HAVE been impressed with American television shows recently. I think where the US fails with movies, it makes up for in good television, like what you get on AMC and similar channels.

Dec 02 13 08:35 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Watched another excellent documentary last night, this one focusing on the career of legendary screenwriter/director John Milius (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, Apocalypse Now, Conan The Barbarian, Red Dawn, etc). Highly recommended.

Apr 17 14 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

my go to show is
https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/7/10/1373464392141/archer-008.jpg
I could watch it almost everyday(and sometimes do)

Apr 17 14 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just signed back up to get through Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, and just finished season 2 of Dexter and almost done with season 2 of Breaking Bad. I might try Walking dead when I'm done with these other ones (OITNB season 2 will be available June 6--all 13 episodes).

I also have Amazon Prime and got caught up on Falling Skies and Under the Dome - eagerly awaiting both of those to start up again. Having no social life has it's advantages, although my DVR is getting neglected and, well, I have no social life. lol

Apr 18 14 08:56 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Documentary fans, I got another nearly-flawless jewel for ya, streaming right now on The Netflix: Little Hope Was Arson. You'll swear you're watching something expertly crafted by Frontline veterans, but it's an indie production all the way. The only minor quibbles involve the insertion of a yearning folksy ballad to set mood, where it was not necessary at all. However, the use of Manchester Orchestra's "Virgin" in the intro is perfect.

93% critic rating on RT (with a 100% rating by viewers).

May 09 15 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

"Unplanned America"   not bad to pass the time.   

Some Aussies go around the US talking to random weirdos and the occasional serious-but-offbeat segment, like the Real Doll creator segment.  It's not Vice, but interesting enough.

However...I've watch a lot of the Mighty Car Mods videos on youtube, so hearing their accents and with some of the stories, I couldn't really get past thinking these guys were just doing everything for laughs

May 09 15 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

DwLPhoto

Palo Alto, California, US

I'm guessing most people have seen it, but Thin Blue Line is streaming.  Great documentary, and cool Philip Glass score if you like his stuff

May 09 15 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

DwLPhoto wrote:
I'm guessing most people have seen it, but Thin Blue Line is streaming.  Great documentary, and cool Philip Glass score if you like his stuff

It's interesting that you posted this recommendation (a masterpiece of documentary film that everyone should watch at least once) because the guy who made Little Hope Was Arson identifies it by name as a major influence on his work.

May 09 15 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm not what anyone would call a huge fan of the Grateful Dead (although I do have the five-disc version of The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack), but just viewed the Bob Weir retrospective The Other One: The Long, Strange Trip of Bob Weir. I enjoyed it, although some might find it a bit fawning and rather excessively nostalgic over them them old, old days of the Woodstock era and stuff.

May 26 15 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Good Egg Productions

Orlando, Florida, US

Currently, all of Lars Von Trier's depression trilogy is on streaming.

Antichrist
Melancholia
Nymphomanic I & II

They're fantastic films, with Melancholia being my favorite.  Don't watch all in one night. You might kill yourself.

May 26 15 04:02 am Link

Model

P I X I E

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I learned that The Babadook is on the American Netflix. I've seen it in the theatre, and it's a great movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szaLnKNWC-U

May 27 15 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Documentary fans, I got another fantastic doc you need to check out: Happy Valley, peripherally about the Jerry Sandusky child molestation trial, but primarily about the effect it had on Penn State, on the community, and on the Paterno legacy.

A very tough watch, but extremely well balanced, allowing many points of view to weigh in on the aftermath of a case like few others. Highly recommended.

Jun 09 15 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dream-foto

Chico, California, US

Wings (1927) was the first movie to win a academy award. It's now on Netflix and well worth watching.
The aerial scenes are surprisingly good.
It's been restored and the music is timed to the action, they also added sound effects.

Jun 10 15 06:13 am Link