Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Shampoo - Do we need it?

Hair Stylist

Daniel Benschoter

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Shampoo is a necessary tool for removing hair product.  Shampooing 2-3 times a week (if you are a product user i.e. gel, mousse, waxes, pastes etc) is sufficient provided that you ensure that your products are water soluble.  Your hair probably does not need the shamoo every 3rd day, but your scalp surely does.  You scalp is an extension of your face, folks.  Would you go without washing your face when using cosmetic products like foundation?  Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp.

Rinsing with warm water and giving a good massage will suffice in between.  Professional shampoos cannot be compared with the drugstore brands when it comes to gentleness.  Sulfate free and paraben free formulas are all over the pro market, and many brands even offer a fragrance and color free line for those who with sensitivities. 

For those with long tresses, only shampoo the scalp.  The water/shampoo solution running through the hair is plenty.  Follow with a good moisturizer and remember that moisture DOES NOT COME FROM OIL!

Aug 12 12 09:35 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I've used straight Aloe Vera and it worked great.

I've also tried Calendula, which worked, but the process to make the shampoo is a bit tedious and time consuming (submerging leaves in Olive Oil for 2 weeks, etc.)

Quite a few I know have used Mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip) but I wouldn't want to smell like a tuna sandwich.

The "No Poo" movement seems to have been growing recently.

Aug 12 12 09:52 am Link

Makeup Artist

ArtistryImage

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Daniel Benschoter wrote:
Healthy hair starts with a healthy scalp.

+1  so true...

Aug 12 12 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Johnson Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Another option for those that don't wish to use shampoo's or detergents.
Dr. Bronners Magic "soap". (it's not soap at all)
http://www.drbronner.com/

I use it for showering, from head to toe, and I really like it.
This is what I use specifically
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEP.htm

Aug 12 12 03:23 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

ArtistryImage wrote:
This thread contains some rather non-conventional information (I'm being politically correct here) and might be better served in an off topic or general discussion Forum... While I appreciate the OP's premise and desire to "avoid toxic substances" there are indeed compelling reasons for washing one's hair... of prime concern is lice... head lice have been pretty much eliminated from the mix in the US in the past half century owing to increased awareness of personal hygiene...  and for those longing for the good old days of millenniums ago look no further than life expectancy data...

That said, what disturbs me more are make-up artists recommending vinegar, baking soda etc for standard hair grooming... Vinegar (acetic acid) has a pH of approximately 2.4 while Baking Soda (Sodium bicarbonate) has a pH of 8.0... Prolonged use of agents at these extremes will indeed (without doubt) cause severe dehydration, resulting in breakage of hair, scalp itch & flaking...  Bake Soda and Vinegar also can cause serious eye irritation...  Please, this is an industry forum... let's keep it real, thank you...

btw, an interesting "old wives tail" is to brush your entire head of hair with 100 strokes of a brush... this came from a dreaded and very real fear of lice... brushing actually helps destroy lice eggs thus the reason for the lore...

food for thought... far more destructive than shampoo is your local swimming pool... Chlorine is one of the most damaging elements to hair... swimming then going "poo" free is a sure way to irreversibly damage one's tresses... remember your hair shaft is dead, it can't restore itself... take very good care of it, k?

Good information for thought. Although I wonder if susceptibility to lice would not be any different between washing with shampoo or any other cleansing agent?

I am not suggesting that people not keep clean.  I shower every day.  I am just questioning if it is necessary to buy into using products that seem to perpetuate the need for use as they strip hair of natural oils.

The article I posted a link to suggested a diluted ratio of 1 tablespoon baking powder to 1 cup water, than a rinse of 1 tablespoon apple vinegar to 1 cup water.  I think the ph levels would be a lot more diluted than you mentioned, perhaps similar to many commercial shampoos and soaps?

The idea of not using shampoo is probably highly dependent on individuals too.  I eat healthy and consume no inflammatory foods so I don't have any of the issues some people have with greasy and smelly hair. The crap that most people eat seems to cause a lot of problems with skin and hair that may only be resolvable with detergents (for appearance purposes anyway).  Life expectancy in recent years according to the CDC is actually declining despite an increase in hygiene products and health regulations.

I totally agree on the chlorine issue.  I only swim in salt water.

What other ways can hair be safely cleaned with common, natural non-branded substances?

Aug 12 12 11:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabethmakeup

Hereford, England, United Kingdom

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Although I wonder if susceptibility to lice would not be any different between washing with shampoo or any other cleansing agent?

It wouldn't make a difference. The guys in the trenches didn't have showers and shampoo and had major infestations of both hair and body lice. I wash my hair every other day and when I was at primary school, ended up with lice after every outbreak. As long as they have blood to suck and hair to grab onto, you are susceptible to lice. They're hardy little b*ggers which explains why, even after using the foul-smelling lice-killing liquid, you have to use it a few times to be sure that you have got rid of them.

Urgh, now I'm all itchy.

Aug 13 12 12:03 am Link

Model

LisaInLondon

London, England, United Kingdom

Jay Dezelic wrote:
Good information for thought. Although I wonder if susceptibility to lice would not be any different between washing with shampoo or any other cleansing agent?

I've always been taught lice like to hang around in very clean hair. Totally getting itchy now.

Aug 13 12 12:45 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabethmakeup

LizaK wrote:

I've always been taught lice like to hang around in very clean hair. Totally getting itchy now.

Yeah, that's complete bunkum. They don't care if hair is clean or dirty, they need something to hold onto and something to suck. Again proved by the infestations in the trenches.

That claim also really irks me as every time it was said in our school assembly, my headteacher used to look pointedly at me since I had the longest hair in the school. Yes, that's right! I am single-handedly responsible for every lice in existence. Sorry guys!

(still itchy)

Aug 13 12 03:03 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Update: Well, it has now been about eight weeks or so since I last used shampoo.  I have been washing my hair about every five or six days with a half teaspoon of baking soda diluted in about a half cup of water and then rinsing with a half teaspoon of apple vinegar diluted in a half cup of water. (The vinegar supposedly balances out the PH to prevent damage.) I have been rinsing with plain water once or twice between using the baking soda and vinegar.

It seems to work great for me anyway.  My hair is healthier and gets more compliments without using shampoo. 

I still use commercial conditioner every once in a while--hoping to find some natural conditioner that's simple and easy ti get.

Sep 28 12 11:19 pm Link

Model

Affinity Finch

Torpoint, England, United Kingdom

I use residue free shampoo, that makes my hair soft enough smile I love it! So natural! x

Sep 29 12 03:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Diaphanous Artistry

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Jay Dezelic wrote:
I met a guy a couple weeks ago who says he hasn't used shampoo since 1985.  His hair looks as good as anyone else you see coming out of a salon. 

He said his father was a cosmetologist. He had learned about all the harmful stuff that was used in shampoos back then and decided it was better to just use water.

I have tried not using shampoo for a couple of weeks--just rinsing with hot water every couple of days.  So far, my hair seems a little less dried out so I don't need to use conditioner. 

I am beginning to wonder if shampoo only necessary to strip out the moister and damage your hair so that you have to spend money lots of money on fixing it?

Anatomically shampoo does not make sense. Our hair/skin follicles produce something called sebum (i know, i laughed too when my anatomy teacher dropped that word... I can't like it still makes me chuckle *giggles tongue ). This is a natural oil that our skin and hair needs to be healthy and moisturized. When you shampoo your hair you strip your hair/skin of this natural oil. Then replace it with artificial moisturizers (conditioner).

Your friend was right..... not shampooing your hair is the best thing for your body (anatomically speaking anyways).

My boyfriend washes his hair once or twice a month. Every day he puts a small amount of Jojoba oil into his hair. Jojoba oil is extraordinarily similar to the chemical structure of our bodies natural sebum.

Sorry to get all nerdy on you guys *blushes...

*giggles smile

Sep 30 12 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Culture Shock Photo

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just had a conversation about this with friends who don't use shampoo. One guy just uses water and occasionally conditioner, and two girls I know use vinegar and only wash their hair every few days. The issue is I notice how greasy their hair gets between washes. I know from personal experience for me if I don't wash my hair within a 48 hour window my hair gets so oily is disgusting, and that's always I noticed when I get horrible acne breakouts, because my oily hair hits my face, so if I don't shower every day I HAVE to wear my hair up. It's interesting how some things work for some people and not others. I have fine hair so I can buy high quality shampoo and conditioner once a year. So the expense is not only worth it but really not too costly. It's the ONLY benefit of fine hair. :x

Besides. I thought about just washing with water every other shower. But then I get out a shower, let my hair dry, and it smells SO good all day long..... I couldn't do it. I smell it and it makes me happy!

Anyone tried WEN? Haha.

Sep 30 12 02:24 pm Link

Model

Sarah Robinson-Bird

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom

In theory shampoo is just a surfactant which is something that emulsifies oils so that they mix with water better to make them easier to remove. In essence shampoo is washing up liquid with added fragrances etc. If your oil build up isn't excessive, just water will probably be sufficient to remove oil from the roots, but in my experience it doesn't work so well. I do have fine hair though, so any grease build up is really noticable and not comfortable for me

Sep 30 12 02:38 pm Link

Model

LolitaPan

Adamsville, Alabama, US

Oct 08 12 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

L Bass

Nacogdoches, Texas, US

Personally, I like it when my hair smells like a strawberry patch. Unfortunately... so do the bees.

Oct 08 12 02:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

SD Makeup Artisty

Hicksville, New York, US

I've been using the Clear shampoo and conditioner lately, and I've noticed my hair has been much less stripped of oil.  Much softer, and in better condition.  I think it's marketed as good for your scalp, which is different. I like it. Since I have to wash my hair daily or I look disgusting, its pretty good.

Oct 08 12 06:25 pm Link

Model

Alabaster Crowley

Tucson, Arizona, US

I have a real struggle with my hair. I dye it, and it fades VERY quickly. I wash it once a week at most, with a professional color safe shampoo. I would think that vinegar would be pretty bad for dye.

If there was some magic product that would wash my hair without fading the dye, I'd be all over it.

Diaphanous Artistry wrote:
Anatomically shampoo does not make sense.

Couldn't the same be said for brushing your teeth? That's not a "natural" thing.

Oct 08 12 08:50 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

I tried the no shampoo technique for nearly 2 months. I had dandruff, a sore scalp, and horrible oil levels.

I tried using no sulfates shampoo. Just as bad of a result. Scalp still hurt like hell.

I went back to Herbal Essences and other sulfate-based shampoos. My hair is glorious once more. I wash with shampoo/conditioner every other day and just jump in the shower to body wash otherwise.

Oct 08 12 09:11 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

ok. So now it has been three months without using commercial shampoo.  My hair is far less brittle and I get just as many if not more compliments.  I still use conditioner after I wash it with a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water followed by rinsing with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in a cup of water to neutralize the ph effect.

It's not that I have anything against chemicals, I just would rather invest my money in things that actually have real benefits.

For me, the hundreds of bottles of expensive shampoo I bought over my lifetime turned out to be a big waste of money and an unnecessary contribution to the environment.  I don't know if it would work for everyone, but it's worth trying it out to see if there are better things you can spend you money on.

Nov 06 12 10:02 am Link

Photographer

PhotoSeven

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Dean Soapbox Killer Photo wrote:
Another option for those that don't wish to use shampoo's or detergents.
Dr. Bronners Magic "soap". (it's not soap at all)
http://www.drbronner.com/

I use it for showering, from head to toe, and I really like it.
This is what I use specifically
http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEP.htm

I use this every time I shower, but only shampoo with it every other day or so.

Nov 06 12 10:17 am Link

Makeup Artist

ThirdEyeMakeup

Los Angeles, California, US

PhotoSeven wrote:
+1

I use this every time I shower, but only shampoo with it every other day or so.

Dr. Bronner's soap is not PH balanced and is waaaay too alkaline for body and hair. Your skin maintains a certain acidity to protect itself from the environment. Using this soap is just removing your skin's natural protective barrier.
In this video, the woman uses ph test strips to see the PH level of common products we use on our hair instead of shampoo (lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, baking soda and finally Dr. Bronner's). Even by massively diluting Bronner's, it's still too alkaline for the hair.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBP7CzoiLbQ

Nov 06 12 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Sebum bad, clean scalp good.

Neutrogena Clean Scalp Shampoo (1x week)

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo (3x per wek)

Only one in my immediate family to still have a full head of hair at 47.

Nov 10 12 06:06 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elizabethmakeup

Eridu wrote:
Sebum bad, clean scalp good.

Neutrogena Clean Scalp Shampoo (1x week)

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo (3x per wek)

Only one in my immediate family to still have a full head of hair at 47.

That won't be down to your shampoo, it'll be down to your genes.

Nov 10 12 08:16 am Link