Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Please C&C my portfolio

Photographer

Dibuho Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I finally opened my home studio about 3 months ago and I'm now starting to build my portfolio. Please note this is only a hobby for me, and my regular job is demanding that I can't spend more time doing it as much as I would like to. However, I would like to make the most of it whenever I get a chance so please give me some feedback and help me improve smile

Sep 04 12 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Lee_Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/120902/13/5043c1707be69_m.jpg
Color seems off, not fond of looking up the models nose

Sep 04 12 11:47 am Link

Photographer

The Gross Bite

Lansing, Michigan, US

Take some simple 3/4 length and face shots. If you are trying to attract models (isn't that what MM is for?), give them some simple images they can relate to.

The high fashion stuff you do is nice, but every model doesn't see herself as haute couture. I read Paris Vogue (okay... I only look at the pictures) but I don't try to emulate all the haute couture stuff... many young models just ain't into it, they want Brooke Shields in Calvin Klein jeans type images -- sexy but tasteful!

Just my opinion.

Sep 04 12 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vulpes Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

The Effective Image wrote:
Take some simple 3/4 length and face shots. If you are trying to attract models (isn't that what MM is for?), give them some simple images they can relate to.

No, I don't think that is what Model Mayhem is for to be honest..
Edit: Unless by "attract" you mean to get models to shoot with you, then yes, it is for that..

The Effective Image wrote:
The high fashion stuff you do is nice, but every model doesn't see herself as haute couture. I read Paris Vogue (okay... I only look at the pictures) but I don't try to emulate all the haute couture stuff... many young models just ain't into it, they want Brooke Shields in Calvin Klein jeans type images -- sexy but tasteful!

Just my opinion.

I suggest the opposite..  Keep going with your style..  It isn't bad..  I'm not an expert but it looks good to me, very imaginative.   I think models will like it because it is different, and they want different for their portfolio..   They only need one set of good head and body shots.

Also, if no one has anything to say, that might be a good thing..  Usually the ports with easy glaring problems get more responses.

All in all, I like your work, good job..

Sep 08 12 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think you are off to a good start, just keep adding and being selective.

Sep 08 12 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Dibuho Photography

Thanks all for the comments and critique. I appreciate it.

I think I like Vulpes Photography's suggestions to me better, but I'll consider The Effective Image's suggestions when I go to Michigan. I think what models want differ geographically. I live here in Germany and most of the models around me don't mind having avant-garde pictures for their portfolio, and majority of them are too young to even know who Brooke Shields is. Plus the models that I worked with thus far were brought in by the make up artist. The make up artist wanted to do those kind of make up so the models already knew what they're getting in to. Nevertheless, I am very grateful that not only models are willing to work with me but make up artists as well smile

Sep 09 12 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Dibuho Photography

I just uploaded new pictures on my profile... please c&c

Nov 25 12 02:18 pm Link