Forums > Newbie Forum > What are models looking for in a photographer?

Photographer

Orion casting

Dallas, Texas, US

New fasion photographer seeking advice.

What are models looking for in a photographer?

Oct 06 12 01:57 pm Link

Model

Hillary K Frazier

Savannah, Georgia, US

I can't speak for everyone...but id say they're looking for someone with an edge! someone creative and not afraid to do something different! that would be my opinion as a model.

~Hillary~

Oct 06 12 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

John Gunn wrote:

What are llamas looking for in a photographer?

Initially, one who can spell "fashion?"

Oct 06 12 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

LOL! burned.

back to topic....

the same thing models look for;
either pay or great photos.

Oct 06 12 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

ARA Photo

Mountain View, California, US

Autonomy II wrote:

Initially, one who can spell "fashion?"

dick!

Oct 06 12 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Eridu

Boston, Massachusetts, US

ARA Photo wrote:

dick!

I know, huh?

Oct 06 12 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

AJ_In_Atlanta

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think that advice is correct, freelance models are looking for creative and edgy.  They often want their book to look like a fashion editorial.

What they need is a photographer who can produce images that an agency would use and it isn't editorial edgy stuff; that rarely gets a model cast.  Some will know that and want both from you smile

Oct 06 12 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

In my experience, models want the same things any human being wants ... to be treated as a person and with respect.  This is both on set and off set.  Models seem to like communication in setting a shoot up, setting a shot up and the delivery of pictures (especially in a TF shoot). 

Once on set, they definitely like being treated with respect.  I find it helpful to not make rude or crude statements (what's rude or crude depends on who you're shooting so I don't say anything that *anyone* would think is rude or crude unless they're just unreasonable).  I don't touch without permission and when I do, I keep it to a minimum (one hair that is out of place, etc) unless their life is in danger (hasn't happened yet).

When the shoot is over, deliver whatever is promised to them in a timely manner.  If it's pictures, I try to make it 7-10 working days (or less, if I can).  Some people are going to be unreasonable (one model contacted me after only 4 days ... 2 of which were a weekend ... as if I'm not supposed to have any time off ... and 2 of those days almost my entire city didn't have any electricity).

Then I try to deliver photos that are dynamite!  We will disagree on what the definition of dynamite is, though, so I promise them 5 pictures but try to deliver at least 30.  There has to be 5 in there somewhere they can use or will think are worthy of their time.

Another thing I've learned to do is turn some models away.  If they are wanting to shoot in a genre I have no interest in doing, I'll let them find someone who is interested in that sort of thing instead of giving them what I think they want (or doing the best I can and finding out later it's mediocre at best).

Oct 06 12 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Mirage

Plainview, Texas, US

Everything Lovely Day said above.

In addition, from a fashion photographer they expect photos that make them look like fashion models. That includes styling, hair, makeup and the rest - on through professional grade post-processing. Which means you probably will need to team up with aspiring people in at least some of those fields.

You need to start by getting up a few photos that will attract models. Maybe not full-on haute couture to start, but definitely things with a modeling/fashion look.

Oct 06 12 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

eybdoog

New York, New York, US

gonna be honest with you. You won't learn about the industry from any forum. If you are serious about learning, go to the area's of the world where the gate keepers are and start knocking/networking and beg to work for them. Forums are a waste of time because you will get varying information from many that are inexperienced in the subject that will confuse your attempts.

Oct 06 12 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

John Gunn wrote:

What are models looking for in a photographer?

The 5'3" models are looking for a fashion photographer to tell them they can succeed in the industry and it doesn't matter they're not 5'8"+.

Master the sincere delivery of that and it's smooth sailing.

Oct 06 12 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Charlie-CNP wrote:
gonna be honest with you. You won't learn about the industry from any forum. If you are serious about learning, go to the area's of the world where the gate keepers are and start knocking/networking and beg to work for them. Forums are a waste of time because you will get varying information from many that are inexperienced in the subject that will confuse your attempts.

You don't see the irony of your post, do you?

Oct 06 12 04:11 pm Link

Model

Gina Dee

BRONX, New York, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:

You don't see the irony of your post, do you?

+1
If you're a new photographer trying to work your way up by starting with new models that need the same experience you do, that's a horse of a different color.

New models usually want to work with more experienced photographers where newer photographers are more prone to wanna work with models on their level to build with.

I'd say, if you're a diamond in the rough, try to find those stand out newcomers that look like undiscovered agency talent.

You may luck out.

Oct 06 12 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Albertex Photography

Mansfield, Texas, US

Usually the first thing a model looks for is a good port.  In order to get a good port, you need models.  Paying some models is probably going to be the best way to start building your port.

Oct 07 12 07:40 am Link